TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #211
aindik

Not being able to get rid of my "additional outlet fee," that makes the difference between a) the TiVo box fee plus three years under the MSD at $6.95, and b)three years of $11.95 for the DVR with Comcast, $132.17. IOW, the TiVoHD costs $132.17 (present value) more than the Comcast DVR over an assumed three year life, for someone eligible for MSD. Is it worth it? On the pro side, there's the TiVo software and the ability to expand the storage space and integrate my HD recording and my SD recording on a single box with a single Now Playing list. On the con side, there's the price and the loss of VOD. Decisions decisions.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM   #212
aus1ander
schmoopy

Just opened mine and going through guided setup as I type. I must say, it looks much nicer in person than in the pictures. It looks really shoddy and cheap in all the pictures, but up close, it looks pretty cool.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #213
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander
Just opened mine and going through guided setup as I type. I must say, it looks much nicer in person than in the pictures. It looks really shoddy and cheap in all the pictures, but up close, it looks pretty cool.
Are you using an M-Card???? Who is your cable provider?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #214
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
TiVo doesn't sell an HDTiVo. And HDTiVo isn't for sale either.

So I recommend you spend your money on a TiVo HD.
ROFL!! TiVoŽ Series3™ HD DVR , 180-hour TiVoŽ HD DVR! Please forgive me! I sit corrected <vbg>
Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #215
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
the plans are not convoluted in the least.

buy both TiVo HDs from anywhere. go to activate service and get the 3 yr prepaid on the first. then activte the second and do the 3yr comittment and get the MSD rate
Zeo, I already have a registered box and I'm in my first 30 days of service. When I get the 180-hour TiVoŽ HD DVR, I want to transfer my 3-year contract to the new box and discontinue the Humax.

So far, the SOAK has been (at least my understanding was) to buy the new TiVo HD DVR from another source, e.g., Circuit City, WITHOUT a TiVo contract, and then transfer service to the new TiVo HD DVR box. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I figure TiVo then loses the extra profit on the box to Circuit City.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #216
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer
Are you using an M-Card???? Who is your cable provider?
No M-card... no cable cards for that matter (yet). I have a proprietary cable company that does not offer cable cards, but I get all the networks OTA by antenna. I'm eventually moving and will use Charter then.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #217
aus1ander
schmoopy

So after playing around with the TiVoHD, I only have one gripe (which I knew about before buying it). Why would TiVo just pull the standard menu typeface thats meant to be 4:3 and just stretch it to a widescreen format? It looks pretty bad. You think as they move to having multiple platforms that they would support widescreen tvs better, especially since 90% of TVs sold today are high definition sets.

Otherwise, the TiVoHD pretty much lives up to all the reviews. I haven't played with it enough to see if there are audio sync issues (will be recording some HD shows tonight).
Old 07-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #218
Stainless Steele
Wake-Maker!

Got my Series 3 Tivo HD!

I tried to activate it last night but the rep said they were so new that the S/Ns were not in the system and to call back to night. So when I get home we will see! I have to say it's a very nice looking box!
Tivo Series 2 40hrs w/HMO Lifetime (paid for HMO)
Phillips PTV300 60hrs Lifetime Turbonet (My first!! Bought it the day it came out! Will always hold a special place in my heart!) My brother is currently using this!
JavaHMO Rocks!!!!
Gateway MCE PC 901XL 200gb P4 3g
Stainless Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #219
Illrigger

Just ordered my Tivo HD! I had a Philips Series 1 many long years ago, but strayed away to MCE for a few years. With all the new issues brought on by the HD era (I'm too far from the broadcast towers to get all my locals from OTA, QAM not including all of them, and CableCARD-ready PCs a minimum of $1300), the THD seems by far the best thing going.

I called my local cable company (my city power company provides cable TV and internet, competing head on with Comcast), and they just got their m-cards in last week! Now I just need to wait for my THD to arrive; is there really a 3 week wait?
Illrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #220
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander
No M-card... no cable cards for that matter (yet). I have a proprietary cable company that does not offer cable cards, but I get all the networks OTA by antenna. I'm eventually moving and will use Charter then.
First, Congratulations!

Next . . . I thought ALL cable companies were required by FCC mandate to provide cable cards. I have written to BrightHouse (lacking any info about Bright House cards either here or on their website) to inquire about the cards before I order.

I'm interested in what I can receive without cable too. That sounds very interesting.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #221
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory
First, Congratulations!

Next . . . I thought ALL cable companies were required by FCC mandate to provide cable cards. I have written to BrightHouse (lacking any info about Bright House cards either here or on their website) to inquire about the cards before I order.

I'm interested in what I can receive without cable too. That sounds very interesting.
My cable company is sorta... fake? I live in one of those apartment complexes that subcontracts out cable delivery, so the "cable company" I have just resells satellite channels over a standard analog. They also offer satellite signal from a central dish for both Dish and Directv. So I'm sure they call themselves a "satellite reseller" and get a waiver from the cable card mandate. Either way, I get my HD channels OTA for free, with the exception of HBO, which I get from Dish Network (which I can't record with TiVoHD, but that doesn't really bother me since I tend to watch it live anyway).
Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #222
jmpage2

If I buy one of these is it possible to go month to month on service to "try it out" and then once I am happy with it get the contract discount?

I'm concerned about SDV but definitely tempted to take the plunge. Now I just need one of those $40 off Circuit City coupons I've been hearing about
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #223
knownzero
Seeker

I ordered my cablecards today from Insight. The rep on the phone (who was very nice!) had to put me on hold for a minute to check on the pricing (the first is free and the second is $1.99 if I keep my existing box). She asked if I was putting these in my TV's and I said no, it was for a Tivo HD and she says that they haven't done many of those but she was familiar with it. Hopefully that bodes well for the install on Monday. Also, since we're only talking about $1.99 extra a month, I'm going to keep the cable company DVR. It's not enough of a savings to get rid of it plus the thought of recording 4 HD streams at once gives me the warm and fuzzies.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #224
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Zeo, I already have a registered box and I'm in my first 30 days of service. When I get the 180-hour TiVoŽ HD DVR, I want to transfer my 3-year contract to the new box and discontinue the Humax.

So far, the SOAK has been (at least my understanding was) to buy the new TiVo HD DVR from another source, e.g., Circuit City, WITHOUT a TiVo contract, and then transfer service to the new TiVo HD DVR box. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I figure TiVo then loses the extra profit on the box to Circuit City.
ah, Ok missed that part.

yes you need to get a TiVo HD without service and then transfer the 3 yr comiyymnet off the HUMAX. That will keep the exact same terms as you have now on the HUMAX.

I have not looked but my understanding is you have to get service as well when ordering from TiVo.com so Best BUy or Circuit City is the way to go. Then get the TSN oin the TiVo HD and go to the we b site- manage my account and switch out the TSN on the 3 yr contract.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #225
gbronzer

Smile

SUCCESS!!!

I bought a TivoHD from BestBuy. Got it today, called Tivo and moved my grandfathered lifetime subscription from my old S1 to my new TivoHD. They knew exactly what I was talking about, and did it right away.

Now for the hard part, dealing with the cable company.
gbronzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #226
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbronzer
SUCCESS!!!

I bought a TivoHD from BestBuy. Got it today, called Tivo and moved my grandfathered lifetime subscription from my old S1 to my new TivoHD. They knew exactly what I was talking about, and did it right away.

Now for the hard part, dealing with the cable company.
Hey you never know... A lot of folks get things working right off the bat these days. It's not nearly as hit and miss as it used to be. We will all keep our collective fingers crossed for you. Make sure they bring a couple extra cable cards and ask for a trained tech and not a contractor. Good luck. Can't wait to hear how you like it.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #227
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
ah, Ok missed that part.

yes you need to get a TiVo HD without service and then transfer the 3 yr comiyymnet off the HUMAX. That will keep the exact same terms as you have now on the HUMAX.

I have not looked but my understanding is you have to get service as well when ordering from TiVo.com so Best BUy or Circuit City is the way to go. Then get the TSN oin the TiVo HD and go to the we b site- manage my account and switch out the TSN on the 3 yr contract.
Heheh. I figured that you had missed it.

My speaking of the convoluted TiVo billing was that I should be able to handle it all through TiVo, then they could get the profit of my and other sales. Instead, we must turn to skullduggery!

Do you think I should or should not cancel my subscription before the end of month one, instead of relying on transferring service? Is there a reason to continue with this subscription that is better than getting a totally new service?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #228
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Next . . . I thought ALL cable companies were required by FCC mandate to provide cable cards.
Unless the FCC gives them a waiver - yes.

But most small cable systems - like those that only serve one apartment complex, or one small town, etc - have waivers. The FCC didn't want to force them to make the major investments in new infrastructure as it would be an undue burden for small companies.

The waivers expire eventually, and the generally idea is that these vendors will update over time as there is a natural hardware refresh process.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #229
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty
The fact that cable cards are not bi-directional is holding me back. I like having VOD and being able to order PPV. Losing those features is not worth it to me.

Is there a time line for bi-directional cards? Or is it up in the air?
ALL CableCARDs are bi-directional, always have been.

It is the host device that determines if these features work. And the TiVo units do not support them, and likely never will. Today's standards require a heavy burden in hardware and software - DOCSIS modem, OCAP support - to support VOD/PPV.

TiVo and the cable industry as supposedly working on a solution to handle SDV channels with today's hardware. SDV works very similarly to VOD/PPV, so it is possible that any such solution also would support those - but nothing is certain.

|
|
|
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #230
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
TivoHD has twice the system memory (256MB vs 128MB)
TiVo pointed out to me that while the TiVo HD has 256MB of RAM for the main SoC, and the S3 had 128MB for the main SoC - the S3 had another bank of RAM dedicated to the separate decoder, and that is now part of the SoC on the HD. So they really just consolidated the chips and the RAM into one instead of two units. So it isn't really the same as having twice the memory.

|
|
|
Old 07-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #231
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
TiVo pointed out to me that while the TiVo HD has 256MB of RAM for the main SoC, and the S3 had 128MB for the main SoC - the S3 had another bank of RAM dedicated to the separate decoder, and that is now part of the SoC on the HD. So they really just consolidated the chips and the RAM into one instead of two units. So it isn't really the same as having twice the memory.
So in simple terms, the Broadcom MPU is now also the decoder whereas there was a seperate Broadcom MPU and decoder chip in the S3?

Wouldn't the unified memory offer more flexibility between RAM demands of the two functions? Would contention become an issue, even if it is all one chip now?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 AM   #232
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
So in simple terms, the Broadcom MPU is now also the decoder whereas there was a seperate Broadcom MPU and decoder chip in the S3?
Right, the 7401 replaces both the 7038 and 7411.

Quote:
Wouldn't the unified memory offer more flexibility between RAM demands of the two functions? Would contention become an issue, even if it is all one chip now?
Possibly, I don't know the implementation specifics of the chip.

|
|
|
Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 AM   #233
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
The Series3 software only had access to 128Mb RAM.

I guess the question here is how much memory does the decoder portion of the chip actually use on a consistent basis? And how much memory does the Tivo kernel report is available?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #234
stevereis

Memory bandwidth could certainly be an issue when decoding HD. Separate DRAMs for the System CPU and HD Decoder would simplify things but, but you've got to assume the new Broadcom chip was engineered from the ground up to handle HD decode and system functions. It's got to be a big cost savings to go from 2 complex devices and 2 pairs of DRAM to 1 CPU + 1 DRAM pair.

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #235
stevereis

TiVo HD manuals and setup guides are now posted on the support page:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/UserGuides.aspx

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 AM   #236
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
The Series3 software only had access to 128Mb RAM.

I guess the question here is how much memory does the decoder portion of the chip actually use on a consistent basis? And how much memory does the Tivo kernel report is available?
We'll know as soon as they release kernel sources. All the reserved memory pools are in a table there, at least for past platforms. For example, here's the reserved memory on an Series3:
Code:
    { kTivoConfigContigmemRegion1, 0x00C00000 }, /*12.0MB */
    { kTivoConfigContigmemRegion2, 0x00200000 }, /* 2.0MB */
    { kTivoConfigContigmemRegion3, 0x00527000 }, /* 5280kB */
    { kTivoConfigContigmemRegion8, 0x04000000 }, /*64.0MB */
The linux kernel on a Series3 sees only ~43M out of the 128M. The rest is used in memory regions for other hardware, and is not available to the kernel.

If you pull the drive and look at the kernel log, you can verify it. You'll see a line like this near the start of the kernel boot:
Code:
<6>Memory: 42856k/131072k available (1289k kernel code, 88216k reserved, 63k data, 84k init, 0k highmem)

JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 AM   #237
netslacker

I have a TiVo account that is current / up to date on a series 2 and has a discounted month to month rate. Does anyone know if the discounted rate can be transfered onto a TiVo HD if I buy it from BB or CC?

Rob
netslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:32 AM   #238
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereis
Memory bandwidth could certainly be an issue when decoding HD. Separate DRAMs for the System CPU and HD Decoder would simplify things but, but you've got to assume the new Broadcom chip was engineered from the ground up to handle HD decode and system functions. It's got to be a big cost savings to go from 2 complex devices and 2 pairs of DRAM to 1 CPU + 1 DRAM pair.
The BCM7038 DVR CPU in the Series3 was also a MPEG-2 decoder. In fact, current Motorola HDTV DVRs still use the BCM7038 exclusively without an extra decoder. The original DirecTivo HR10 HDTV DVR and older Dish Network HDTV DVRs did as well.

In the Series3, Tivo added the BCM7411 (to the BCM7038) for MPEG-4 / VC-1 support, as did DirecTV in its HR20 DVR. It's not clear to me whether the Series3 actually uses the BCM7411 for decoding, or whether it sits 'unused' until we get MPEG-4 / VC-1 content via cable or TivoCast.

The primary difference between the BCM7038 and the BCM7401 is the integrated MPEG-4 support, rendering a separate decoder for MPEG-4 unnecessary.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:27 AM   #239
clark_kent

I started a thread (clearQAM troubles) but soon realized that this thread is where the best-of-the-best TiVo technical types are hanging out. I don't want to bore everyone here with what I already posted regarding my S3 clearQAM troubles, but hope you all pardon my re-posting my TiVoHD QAM related question here:

From what I've read about the new TiVoHD, it has different QAM tuners, different tuner support chips, and maybe (probably?) different QAM tuning firmware then what the S3 has. My question for the best-of-the-best is: will the new TiVoHD fair better with clearQAM reception then the current S3?

Thank you all for your comments.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #240
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netslacker
I have a TiVo account that is current / up to date on a series 2 and has a discounted month to month rate. Does anyone know if the discounted rate can be transfered onto a TiVo HD if I buy it from BB or CC?

Rob
If, by "discounted" you mean on the MSD, then, yes. If it's not attached to another TiVo, then you'd have to contact TiVo CS to find out. I'd guess 50-50.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote