Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #31
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
Somehow eSata support is listed as "late 2007" but MRV/TTG is "in the future."
I'm still confused about eSATA expansion on the new HD TiVo. Does it work on the new boxes like it does on the S3 or not?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #32
Ishma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
I'm still confused about eSATA expansion on the new HD TiVo. Does it work on the new boxes like it does on the S3 or not?
No, it appears that the backdoor is closed on TiVo HD. However, sounds like it will be active by the end of the year. Sooner???
Ishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #33
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Great compilation of information, DVR4me! Thanks for gathering it and posting it!
Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #34
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory
Great compilation of information, DVR4me! Thanks for gathering it and posting it!
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

My TivoHD will arrive tomorrow, so I hope to put some images and further updates into the FAQ soon.
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #35
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishma
No, it appears that the backdoor is closed on TiVo HD.
Is it really a closed back door, or is it actually driver differences due to the different chipsets, and the needed drivers are in place on the S3 but not the HD?
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:08 PM   #36
Ishma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
Is it really a closed back door, or is it actually driver differences due to the different chipsets, and the needed drivers are in place on the S3 but not the HD?
Your probably right. I just meant the backdoor code on the Series3 will supposedly not work on TiVo HD. We will have to wait for the software upgrade that enables the feature.
Ishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #37
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozens
The answer for SDV suggest it will be available in the future. Is this really the case ? Has Tivo made any public statements saying SDV will be supported ? If so, what time frame ?
1. It *may* be available. 2. TiVo's CEO stated, before Congress, that TiVo was working with the cable industry on a solution for SDV on uni-directional CableCARD devices. 3. No time frame.

Reference 1. Reference 2. Reference 3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 AM   #38
cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
More importantly, are they as good as the Series 3, which are phenomenal.
Acording to Samsung (marketing poo)... 30% better.

(EDIT)
As for SDV... Alas, it has the same ATI Theater chipset. So, no modulator or RF transmitter.

ATI Theater 314

Last edited by cramer : 07-27-2007 at 01:08 AM.
cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #39
dvr4me

Updated recording quality size estimates and initial software revision.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #40
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
1. It *may* be available. 2. TiVo's CEO stated, before Congress, that TiVo was working with the cable industry on a solution for SDV on uni-directional CableCARD devices. 3. No time frame.

Reference 1. Reference 2. Reference 3.

And pigs may fly (not busting on Megazone). I just don't believe the Cable industry will ever play nice with SDV.

Just like I don't think that "holllywood" will ever play nice with MRV. Even the cable companies can't get their own MRV to work without getting slapped with a lawsuit.

Ironically I think Verizon is the only one who's "gotten" away with it (that's a provider), but I don't remember if theirs was SD only or if it did HD as well.

Apparently it's okay to view SD content on other things, but not HD (according to the content providers).
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #41
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr4me
I believe it does support Unencrypted QAM. (I'll see if I can substantiate that information with something official.)

Update:

Here's the information posted in the S3 FAQ about Clear QAM:

Basically this means that although the Tivo can tune the Clear QAM channels, they don't correspond with guide data. So you can manually record channel 93.3 at 8pm on Tuesdays, but you cannot set a season pass to record your favorite show on 93.3.

I have my Tivo HD on order so I'll update the FAQ once I have first hand information.
thanks. So it's still as worthless as it was before. Basically you have to turn your Tivo into a "dumb" VCR.

Absolutely stupid. The technology is there and it should be easy to do. If you're smart enough to "know" about Clear QAM, you should be able to handle the interface/mapping mechanism.

In my case, time Warner cable uses the same channel numbers.

ClearQam "CBS" is 18-06 and the same channel on the STB is: 1806 (the TV doesn't do 4 digit numbers without a - somewhere)

It was easy for me to go into MythTV and tell it what QAM channel was what.

And if some open source person in their spare time can do it, you'd think Tivo could as well.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #42
moyekj

Great job dvr4me. Mods, I think this thread deserves to be a sticky one for it's 1st page as was done for the S3 FAQ thread.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #43
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
eSATA is no different than any other SATA drive. So the fact that it's using a SATA drive means the kernel already supports eSATA drives. It probably just hasn't been ported to the TiVo HD code base yet.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #44
dvr4me

Here's a few things I was able to confirm:

When you first setup the TiVo HD (without cablecards), it will only show the basic channels. You must then do a channel scan to find any digital/QAM channels.

My unit found 252 channels, though only a dozen of them were actually in use. I deleted the non functioning channels.

Unfortunately, just like the S3, the TiVo HD can tune the channels, but does not have any way of mapping the channels to the guide data. Thus, there is no guide data for any of the scanned digital channels (when you are not using cablecards).

You can record on those channels with a manual time/channel recording, but it will have no show information in the now playing list.

The TiVo HD software (8.1.7a) works well for the most part, but it does have a few small bugs. One is the LED settings for the front panel. In my case, if I set them to OFF, the green power LED stays on all the time and the amber recording light does go OFF. On the S2DT, the when you set all LEDs to off, they ALL go off.

The other error I encountered was when I was playing with the over the air signal strength. I had it on the signal strength screen for quite a bit of time (10-15 minutes). When I was rapidly flipping through all the channels (again while on the signal strength screen) the Tivo rebooted.

On a positive note, the HD recording looks fantastic on the HD digital QAM channels. Hopefully at some point Tivo will update the software so I can map the QAM to some guide data (it's a wish item).
Old 07-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #45
CCourtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
As far as I know you can use any adapater you want. If TiVo has implemented a "feature" on new models that disallows other brands then that would make me a little concerned about future eSATA having the same feature forcing you to use a TIVo branded HDD... Let's hope that's just marketing fluff.
I tried it tonight with the TiVo HD I bought today. The answer is No, you must use theirs

I had to go over phone line. I'm happy to say it's doing a champ of a job over Vonage (VoIP.)

CCourtney
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007_July 030_small.jpg (73.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2007_July 031_small.jpg (92.1 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by CCourtney : 07-27-2007 at 10:32 PM.
CCourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #46
jfh3

Quote:

When you first setup the TiVo HD (without cablecards), it will only show the basic channels. You must then do a channel scan to find any digital/QAM channels.

My unit found 252 channels, though only a dozen of them were actually in use. I deleted the non functioning channels.

Unfortunately, just like the S3, the TiVo HD can tune the channels, but does not have any way of mapping the channels to the guide data. Thus, there is no guide data for any of the scanned digital channels (when you are not using cablecards).

You can record on those channels with a manual time/channel recording, but it will have no show information in the now playing list.

The TiVo HD software (8.1.7a) works well for the most part, but it does have a few small bugs. One is the LED settings for the front panel. In my case, if I set them to OFF, the green power LED stays on all the time and the amber recording light does go OFF. On the S2DT, the when you set all LEDs to off, they ALL go off.

The other error I encountered was when I was playing with the over the air signal strength. I had it on the signal strength screen for quite a bit of time (10-15 minutes). When I was rapidly flipping through all the channels (again while on the signal strength screen) the Tivo rebooted.

On a positive note, the HD recording looks fantastic on the HD digital QAM channels. Hopefully at some point Tivo will update the software so I can map the QAM to some guide data (it's a wish item).

I can confirm all of the above.

In addition, there is a bug where you can't directly tune any channel with three digits after the . (e.g. 0.655), but you use channel up/down to tune them.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #47
vstone

Apparently we do NOT yet know if the channel 0 problem has been corrected by either hadrware or software. Of course, absent Tivo making a statement on the issue or a report of the issue on an HD we may never know. If we see it we know its an issue. The only way to confirm it has been fixed would be to see an S3 and HD side by side and see the channel 0 issue on the S3 and not on the HD.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #48
chg

Quote:

I am thinking of getting one of the TiVo HD's only for OTA HD recording. I would not use a cable card. So, this mean I would have no guide information and could not set up a season pass?
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #49
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chg
I am thinking of getting one of the TiVo HD's only for OTA HD recording. I would not use a cable card. So, this mean I would have no guide information and could not set up a season pass?

No, this is incorrect. TiVo provides guide information for your OTA stations based on your ZIP code. This is downloaded to your TiVo over the internet/phone line just like for cable stations. Even if you had a cable card and digital cable, guide data is still downloaded from TiVo, not from your cable company.

In fact, I have the exact setup you are considering (OTA HD with no cablecards). Season passes are working fine.

Since in many smaller markets, people can access OTA stations from very far away with good equipment, the number of stations provided for your individual zip code usually includes a lot of stations that are physically impossible for you to get reception. I live in Rochester, MN, and with my TiVoHD, I can get guide data for all the stations within a 150 mile radius, but I obvious only get reception for my local stations. You simply delete the extra stations from the "Channels You Receive" list.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #50
chg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander
No, this is incorrect. TiVo provides guide information for your OTA stations based on your ZIP code. This is downloaded to your TiVo over the internet/phone line just like for cable stations. Even if you had a cable card and digital cable, guide data is still downloaded from TiVo, not from your cable company.

In fact, I have the exact setup you are considering (OTA HD with no cablecards). Season passes are working fine.

Since in many smaller markets, people can access OTA stations from very far away with good equipment, the number of stations provided for your individual zip code usually includes a lot of stations that are physically impossible for you to get reception. I live in Rochester, MN, and with my TiVoHD, I can get guide data for all the stations within a 150 mile radius, but I obvious only get reception for my local stations. You simply delete the extra stations from the "Channels You Receive" list.
Thanks. I have a 10% off Circuit City coupon, so I think I will pick one of these up.
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #51
tootal2

Do i need a phone line to setup tivo hd? i only have dsl and vonage
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:00 AM   #52
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2
Do i need a phone line to setup tivo hd? i only have dsl and vonage
No, you can do the entire setup with a broadband connection.

Phone hasn't been required for initial setup for some time now.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #53
joneSi

I'm anxious to hear reports from those that have tried an upgrade, or know where to find more information. As an avid TiVo'er abroad (in Spain for a while) I am chomping at the bit to get my hands on one, crack it open, and have a 750gb drive all for my favorite HD shows, (btw not including the eSATA port as I understand it does not work right now). Though it seems there is some holdup, software wise.

joneSi
joneSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #54
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneSi
I'm anxious to hear reports from those that have tried an upgrade, or know where to find more information. As an avid TiVo'er abroad (in Spain for a while) I am chomping at the bit to get my hands on one, crack it open, and have a 750gb drive all for my favorite HD shows, (btw not including the eSATA port as I understand it does not work right now). Though it seems there is some holdup, software wise.

joneSi
As we all are. Spike2k5 is working on WINMFS (see this post) and has been able to upgrade the drive in his TiVo HD. The tool hasn't been released yet though. Hopefully soon we'll have the ability to upgrade our drives.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #55
JANNINO

Does the 30 second skip hack still work on the HD Tivo like it did on the Series 3?
JANNINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #56
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNINO
Does the 30 second skip hack still work on the HD Tivo like it did on the Series 3?
Yes .
Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #57
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis
ClearQam "CBS" is 18-06 and the same channel on the STB is: 1806 (the TV doesn't do 4 digit numbers without a - somewhere)
TWC in SC doesn't do this.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #58
tootal2

is the 20 hours of hd compressed?

Does tivo hd compress HDTV? Or is it not compressed at all?

Im waiting dhl for my tivo hd. I hope he gets here before i goto work.

thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #59
Toeside
Circa Dec 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2
Does tivo hd compress HDTV? Or is it not compressed at all?

Im waiting dhl for my tivo hd. I hope he gets here before i goto work.

thanks
Digital signals are already compressed by being in MPEG2 format. Neither the Series3 nor the TiVo HD recompress digital content.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #60
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeside
Digital signals are already compressed by being in MPEG2 format. Neither the Series3 nor the TiVo HD recompress digital content.
will it look as good as my hdtv tuner? I guess it should. Its going to nice to get rid
of the cable company DVR