Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #181
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
I don't even charge. Looks like I'm leaving money on the table.

Spend your money on a TiVo HD.

(And unfortunately its the same old HDTiVo anyway. )

I don't really understand your suggstion. If you're saying to buy the expensive HDTivo instead of the new TiVo light, no can do. My HDTV died a few weeks ago, and I have to replace that too.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 AM   #182
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr4me
Megory, where did you originally buy the S2?

If you bought it from Tivo, it is part of a package and you cannot transfer the subscription to another unit regardless of where you buy the new unit.

I bought an S2 from Tivo 2 weeks ago. I called them Monday 7/23 to find out what the return process involves and whether I could just transfer my sub. The rep explained that you cannot transfer the sub from a "packaged tivo".

The rep actually told me that it is a better deal to buy one from retail and then purchase a subscription because then you could transfer the subscription after you received the retail rebate. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me to allow people to buy a tivo box, buy a subscription, get the rebate, then allow them to buy another box and transfer the sub to the new box. You'd think that you'd need to keep the box active for the length of the sub so then it would be free and clear... What would prevent someone from buying a $55 box after rebate and just keep switching the sub from box to box and sell the boxes on ebay?...

Long story short, since I was in my first month I called Tivo and arranged a return for full credit. The rep really wanted me to keep the S2 but with the Tivo HD coming out I saw no reason. Once you start the return process, the sub is cancelled and you need to get the box back to Tivo within 15 days or a "non-refundable, non-returned equipment fee will be charged for the box" ($250).
DVRMe: I've had my Humax800 as well as SVR2000 and SVR3000 (currently unregistered) for several years, and just re-upped my Humax only, under the new, exciting price plan <vbg>

So, when I'm ready, I'll either give my old TiVos away or sell them on eBay.

Sounds like returning your box was the best way to go!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:44 AM   #183
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

BrightHouse Tampabay?

Anyone here have BrightHouse in Tampabay or have a clue what cards will cost and procedure/experience in getting cards for your HDTiVo?

Will the cards be the same for the HDTiVo light?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:04 AM   #184
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory
Go Hokies and Rainwater: Thanks, I think I'll order from Circuit City. Seems like a bad decision for TiVo to make their pricing plan so convoluted that we need to buy elsewhere . . . but, um, that's not my problem.

But don't you think I'm safer if I cancel my TiVo service before my month is up (July 5), and then get new 3-year service from TiVo?
Actually I think that Tivo has attempted to clarify their pricing plans. If you create an account on Tivo.com and enter your desired purchases it shows you what the sub price options are (including MSD).
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #185
oldnacl

I have a question regarding the new TiVo HD:
For anyone who has one - can you watch a recorded show while sending another show to VCR? That's one feature the SA8300HD STB offers that I REALLY missed on the S3.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #186
jblake

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
For anyone who has one - can you watch a recorded show while sending another show to VCR? That's one feature the SA8300HD STB offers that I REALLY missed on the S3.
No. All the outputs show the same program.
jblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #187
Globular
No time to hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
What is this.. this... VCR of which you speak?

Globular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #188
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globular
What is this.. this... VCR of which you speak?

Very Crappy Recorder
Old 07-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #189
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
Actually I think that Tivo has attempted to clarify their pricing plans. If you create an account on Tivo.com and enter your desired purchases it shows you what the sub price options are (including MSD).
I'm happy to hear that the pricing plans are clear to you.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I don't think it relates to getting a better plan/price from buying elsewhere, and/or canceling service, does it?

Whatever, their policies are not within my purview, so I will do what y'all tell me is best <vbg>
Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #190
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

The bland not-so-informative PC World video:

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,560-...d,0/video.html
I deeply appreciate all well-wishers.
Dmon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #191
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
I don't really understand your suggstion. If you're saying to buy the expensive HDTivo instead of the new TiVo light, no can do. My HDTV died a few weeks ago, and I have to replace that too.
TiVo doesn't sell an HDTiVo. And HDTiVo isn't for sale either.

So I recommend you spend your money on a TiVo HD.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #192
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

Please forgive my ignorance on pricing plans but....
I have a S2 with lifetime service. Right now there is no transfer to the new HD tivo - correct.
If I buy a new HD Tivo from Circuit City (or TIvo.com) is it elidigible for MSD of $6.95 a month? (Edit: answer is YES)

Also, can I just hook my digital cable box to it without getting a cable card? I am a bit confused on this feature.

One last question - can I connect the HD tivo to my PC to transfer shows - ala Tivo-to-go? (Answer: NO! - in FAQ on Tivo)

EDIT: I answered some of my own questions.

Last edited by jkalnin : 07-26-2007 at 10:08 AM.
jkalnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #193
gbnyc

TiVo says will now honor grandfather transfer for TiVo HD

I'm on the phone now with TiVo. Rep says that they reversed their policy since yesterday, and now will honor a grandfather transfer for the new TiVo HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbnyc
I tried again today, and the rep explained that they got a communication yesterday morning, about grandfather transfers of lifetime, code 09-07-04, specifically telling them that it is not available for the new TiVoHD. Each rep I spoke with knew exactly what I was talking about, knew the code number before I had to give it to them, and said that it is NOT available for this model. If anyone has a different experience, please post.

gbnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #194
Eitel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalnin
Also, can I just hook my digital cable box to it without getting a cable card? I am a bit confused on this feature.
Yes. You will just need to re-run guided setup if you get cable cards in the future.
Eitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 AM   #195
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Go Hokies and Rainwater: Thanks, I think I'll order from Circuit City. Seems like a bad decision for TiVo to make their pricing plan so convoluted that we need to buy elsewhere . . . but, um, that's not my problem.

But don't you think I'm safer if I cancel my TiVo service before my month is up (July 5), and then get new 3-year service from TiVo?
the plans are not convoluted in the least.

buy both TiVo HDs from anywhere. go to activate service and get the 3 yr prepaid on the first. then activate the second and do the 3yr comittment and get the MSD rate
Old 07-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #196
jrm01

Quote:
No you can't. The Tivo HD does not have the capability to control a set top box. You can connect the coax directly into the Tivo and get basic channels until you get cablecards.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #197
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

The fact that cable cards are not bi-directional is holding me back. I like having VOD and being able to order PPV. Losing those features is not worth it to me.

Is there a time line for bi-directional cards? Or is it up in the air?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #198
Balzer

Question Doubt it.. but...

I purchased an original Phillips Tivo in the fall of 2001, and it has worked great. A few years ago, I started using a Motorola HD DVR from my cable company with my HDTV. When I started using the cable box, I called Tivo to cancel my Tivo service. They said since I was a "good customer", they would lower my monthly rate to $6.95 if I kept the Tivo service. I said sure, since I still use the Tivo in my computer room, as a backup in case I have a 3rd show that I want to record at the same time.

Now that I've ordered a TivoHD, I am wondering if I would be able to transfer that Tivo service to the new DVR, and keep my $6.95 rate...

This is what the FAQ says...

----------
How Do I Transfer My TiVo Service to a New DVR?

You can transfer any service agreement to another TiVo DVR of any make or model at any time.
----------

Yea, I doubt it, but I will try. It says to do it under "Manage My Account". From what I've read, my Series1 is old enough that it may work for manually recording shows without the Tivo service.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #199
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:

One last question - can I connect the HD tivo to my PC to transfer shows - ala Tivo-to-go? (Answer: NO! - in FAQ on Tivo)

EDIT: I answered some of my own questions.
you can not hook the cable box up to the TiVo HD. There is no way for it to ocntrol the box like a sereis 2 does. So leave the cable box on the DT.
You can hook the cable up and get all the analog channels only or get cable cards and get both analog and digital.

Correct there is no TiVoTogo for now. TiVo has stated they are working on enabling it on the S3 line by the end of the year.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #200
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbnyc
I'm on the phone now with TiVo. Rep says that they reversed their policy since yesterday, and now will honor a grandfather transfer for the new TiVo HD!
Updated information regarding this on the TiVo HD FAQ. Thanks!
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #201
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty
The fact that cable cards are not bi-directional is holding me back. I like having VOD and being able to order PPV. Losing those features is not worth it to me.

Is there a time line for bi-directional cards? Or is it up in the air?
the cards themselves do not do the talking back to the cable company. Cable companies have proposed a bi-directional standard that includes current cable card and a docsis modem and an OCAP system that runs java code. That is a lot of extra to ask Tivo and even more so a TV manufacturer to include so the Consumer Electronics Association has not signed off on such an onerous standard and nothing fast is happening. A big stumbling block as well is the cable companies legitimate desire to control how PPV/VOd is presented to the customer which of course raises some big complications for a 3rd party like TiVo that wants to woark on any cable company system
Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #202
dirk1843
I'm your huckleberry

I saw an HDTiVo at local CC yesterday. No pricing and I wasn't even sure what it was unitl I started looking on TiVo's site today.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #203
acheslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty
I felt the same way until I considered the Amazon Unbox service as a replacement for VOD. Have you checked out the content available "on demand" from Amazon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
acheslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #204
jkalnin
Baad Spellor

It sounds to me like you can still use OnDemand, just not through Tivo HD. Just have the cable split, one goes to converter box, other goes to HD Tivo. Connect Tivo to TV in one input, then the converter box to another. I didn't say it was the perfect solution, just a workaround.
jkalnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #205
Eitel

Quote:
It sounds to me like you can still use OnDemand, just not through Tivo HD. Just have the cable split, one goes to converter box, other goes to HD Tivo. Connect Tivo to TV in one input, then the converter box to another. I didn't say it was the perfect solution, just a workaround.
The thing is that the HD Tivo doesn't work with a converter box. So you will be paying for two outlets of service in order to do this.
Eitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #206
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

With Comcast making their final plans for Switched Digital Video ( http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6463304.html ), I'm a bit concerned since FiOS TV is probably a year away in my area.
I deeply appreciate all well-wishers.
Dmon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #207
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitel
The thing is that the HD Tivo doesn't work with a converter box. So you will be paying for two outlets of service in order to do this.
Yep. That's what we do. We have the Comcast DVR for On Demand stuff and then use the S3's for everything else including PPV. We do have to pay for the extra box. In fact, Comcast has told us we can't get any PPV on the S3 unless we have their box to i"use as a gateway". It's about 12 bucks a month extra.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #208
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Does anyone know if "Open Cable Card" is the same thing as M-Card? More importantly is the Tivo HD compatible with it??

Time Warner Cincinnati mentions two types of cards on their web site. The Open Cable Card is capable of 2 way communication and is obviously preferable.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Cinci...leCard_SA.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #209
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer
Does anyone know if "Open Cable Card" is the same thing as M-Card? More importantly is the Tivo HD compatible with it??

Time Warner Cincinnati mentions two types of cards on their web site. The Open Cable Card is capable of 2 way communication and is obviously preferable.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Cinci...leCard_SA.html
Nevermind... Judging from the photo of the card at the top of the page (s) which has "Multi-Stream" and "M-Card" stamped on it I guess they are the same thing!

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #210
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr4me
Updated information regarding this on the TiVo HD FAQ. Thanks!
Im looking at one right now on Ebay TivoHD here I come ;P
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote