TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #121
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory
I will buy the new HDTiVo for $299
I don't even charge. Looks like I'm leaving money on the table.

Spend your money on a TiVo HD.

(And unfortunately its the same old HDTiVo anyway. )
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #122
gbnyc

No grandfather transfer to TiVoHD, really

I tried again today, and the rep explained that they got a communication yesterday morning, about grandfather transfers of lifetime, code 09-07-04, specifically telling them that it is not available for the new TiVoHD. Each rep I spoke with knew exactly what I was talking about, knew the code number before I had to give it to them, and said that it is NOT available for this model. If anyone has a different experience, please post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
She was wrong.

Grandfather transfer: The one-time "Grandfather transfer" (for people who purchased Product Lifetime on or before January 21, 2000, and who have not already used their one-time transfer) is still allowed and will also be honored for future hardware releases from TiVo, such as the Series3. If you have any trouble when you call, please mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=290723

gbnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 AM   #123
Balzer

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globular
Waahhh! I ordered mine yesterday afternoon, but no shipping notice. I'm in the Northeast, so maybe the batch that has gone out hasn't reached here yet?
Yea.. I ordered mine last night, and I haven't received any shipping information yet. The order status just shows "In Progress". Maybe I was too late for the first batch available.
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #124
toddinmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer
Yea.. I ordered mine last night, and I haven't received any shipping information yet. The order status just shows "In Progress". Maybe I was too late for the first batch available.
i ordered my yesterday afternoon, still in progress. (ordered at 1345)
toddinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #125
sampai

Bought mine from BestBuy.com

I ordered mine from Best Buy's web site yesterday. The web site said it would ship within one business day. I got an e-mail from Best Buy today with a tracking number, saying:

Quote:
The items listed below are now packed and ready to leave our warehouse. Your credit card (or Gift Card) has been charged for the items.

Orders that are packed on Saturdays or Sundays do not reach the carrier until Monday morning. When a tracking number is listed below, please note that it has been assigned before the carrier has the package. If your tracking number does not appear immediately when attempting to track your package, the carrier may still be processing this information. You may need to check the carrier's site periodically for the updated information.
BTW, the Best Buy web site showed the Best Buy physical stores as having no stock.

I can't wait to get my TiVo HD this week, and finally return my Comcast DVR. I stopped by the Comcast office in Redmond, WA, yesterday, and got two cablecards: first one for $5/month, second one for $1.79/month. The lady at the counter didn't seem the slightest bit surprised. Redmond is home to Microsoft; so there's probably no shortage of geeks like me asking for cablecards.

Last edited by sampai : 07-25-2007 at 09:41 AM.
sampai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #126
ldc3000

Are people buying extended warranties? I decided to purchase one on the THD I purchased from Circuit City. $300 is right at the point where I want that extra protection.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #127
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory
I'm in the first month of a new 3-year contract with a Series 2.

I will buy the new HDTiVo for $299 from someone, preferably from TiVo directly. However, they require me to sign-up for a new contract.

Will I be able to transfer my contract from the Humax to the new HDTiVo?

Or, will I need to cancel my contract before the month is up, buy the HDTiVo from Circuit City, and then sign up again?

Are there other options? What looks to you like the best way to go?

Thanks beaucoup!
Megory, where did you originally buy the S2?

If you bought it from Tivo, it is part of a package and you cannot transfer the subscription to another unit regardless of where you buy the new unit.

I bought an S2 from Tivo 2 weeks ago. I called them Monday 7/23 to find out what the return process involves and whether I could just transfer my sub. The rep explained that you cannot transfer the sub from a "packaged tivo".

The rep actually told me that it is a better deal to buy one from retail and then purchase a subscription because then you could transfer the subscription after you received the retail rebate. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me to allow people to buy a tivo box, buy a subscription, get the rebate, then allow them to buy another box and transfer the sub to the new box. You'd think that you'd need to keep the box active for the length of the sub so then it would be free and clear... What would prevent someone from buying a $55 box after rebate and just keep switching the sub from box to box and sell the boxes on ebay?...

Long story short, since I was in my first month I called Tivo and arranged a return for full credit. The rep really wanted me to keep the S2 but with the Tivo HD coming out I saw no reason. Once you start the return process, the sub is cancelled and you need to get the box back to Tivo within 15 days or a "non-refundable, non-returned equipment fee will be charged for the box" ($250).
dvr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #128
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldc3000
Are people buying extended warranties? I decided to purchase one on the THD I purchased from Circuit City. $300 is right at the point where I want that extra protection.
I might buy a warranty. One interesting thing about the Circuit City warranty was that they would troubleshoot over the phone and if they couldn't resolve the issue they would send a new one (specifically the warranty for DVR's).

I bought mine from Best Buy however. I suspect the warranty would be around $50 but I haven't looked into it yet.

My Best Buy order seems to have shipped as I too received the email that states "The items listed below are now packed and ready to leave our warehouse. Your credit card (or Gift Card) has been charged for the items."
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #129
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr4me
Megory, where did you originally buy the S2?

If you bought it from Tivo, it is part of a package and you cannot transfer the subscription to another unit regardless of where you buy the new unit.

I bought an S2 from Tivo 2 weeks ago. I called them Monday 7/23 to find out what the return process involves and whether I could just transfer my sub. The rep explained that you cannot transfer the sub from a "packaged tivo".
That is incorrect. You can transfer any subscription to another box. You will have to buy the box at retail and not from Tivo.com however. All you do is buy the box and login to Tivo.com to change the TSN. It takes about 2 minutes to do.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #130
dvr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbnyc
I tried again today, and the rep explained that they got a communication yesterday morning, about grandfather transfers of lifetime, code 09-07-04, specifically telling them that it is not available for the new TiVoHD. Each rep I spoke with knew exactly what I was talking about, knew the code number before I had to give it to them, and said that it is NOT available for this model. If anyone has a different experience, please post.
Added information to the TiVo HD FAQ. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #131
dbaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcrum
I've been thinking about this a LOT since I first ready about this new TiVo HD yesterday, and I think this is what I have been waiting for to get rid of (FINALLY!) my Comcast/Motorola 6412 DVR. My gripes about the Motorola:

1. Limited storage space (the TiVo HD starts out with about 5 hours more, which is not really THAT much more, but with the promise of "late 2007" for external storage. I'll bet Comcast and Motorola don't have an answer)

2. No way to get the shows "off the DVR" (well, nothing right now with the TiVO HD either, but the promise of MRV and TTG in the not-too-distant-future.)

3. The annoying remote lag (I can only hope that the TiVo HD has the same sort of remote performance as my two Series 2s)

4. The OK-but-it's-not-a-TiVo menus and UI on the Comcast/Motorola box (I know people complain all the time about the Comcast UI, and I find it to be "OK"...but it's not a TiVo. It would be nice to have the richness of the TiVo UI)

5. Waiting for the TiVO-for-Comcast/Motorola UI (I was initially excited, but as the year has worn on, Comcast really lost my interest. Why not a REAL TiVO, rather than what I hear is the dumbed-down Comcast/TiVo.

So, although I might not buy immediately (waiting for a lifetime transfer offer!), I think one of these will be in my house by fall. Maybe I'll wait until the external storage is supported and buy the whole shebang at once.

Thanks, TiVo. You have a REAL competitor for the Comcast HD DVR now!

Bob
The Motorola 6412 does have an active firewire output on the back to capture shows to your computer. If this had more storage I would buy it now.
dbaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #132
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef
The eSATA from what I hear is in fact "Enabled" on this unit as it is "Enabled" on the S3. Just it won't be officially supported until they come out with their "BRANDED" Tivo eSATA drive.

TexasGrillChef
I really hope this is true! I can't wait until we get official confirmation on this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
dolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #133
bkdtv

Repost from the Tivo Wild Spec thread:

Official TivoHD Specifications (TCD652160)
  • Broadcom BCM7401 DVR CPU w/ integrated MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 decoders
  • 256MB DDR400 SDRAM (4x NANYA NT5DS32M16BS-5U)
  • 160GB Western Digital WD1600AVBS SATA hard drive
  • 2x ATI Theater 314 QAM/VSB demodulators (for tuners)
  • 2x Philips/NXT SAA7138CHL ADCs
  • 1x VIXS XCode 2115 IC w/ dedicated 32MB DDR400 SDRAM (2x NANYA NT5DS8M16FS-5T)
    • CableCard interface
    • MP@ML encoders
  • Silicon Image SiI5723 Dual SATA controller
  • Xilinx Spartan-3 XC3S200 FPGA
  • 10/100Mbps Ethernet
  • Standard Tivo remote
  • $299 MSRP

TivoHD Advantages
  • MSRP is $500 less ($299 vs $799) thanks to newer, more integrated components
  • TivoHD has ~7% faster CPU (450 MIPS vs 420 MIPS)
  • TivoHD has twice the usable system memory (256MB vs 128MB)
  • Supports MCARDs out of the box.
  • Consumes less power.

TivoHD Disadvantages
  • Smaller hard drive (160GB vs 250GB).
  • eSATA expansion is not yet functional Edit: The 9.2 software adds official eSATA support.
  • No THX certification.
  • No piano black enclosure with OLED display.
  • No slick, learning remote (sold separately for $50).
  • No bundled HDMI cable.
  • Drivers for new components potentially less mature / optimized.
  • Potentially slower disk I/O, which may hurt responsiveness.
    The Broadcom BCM7401 in the TivoHD has a single 1.5Gbps SATA channel that is "split" for the internal SATA and eSATA connections using the Silicon Image SiI5723. In contrast, the BCM7038 in the Series3 had a dual-channel SATA controller, so no "splitting" was required. This may negatively impact disk I/O when both internal and eSATA drives are used, and Tivo responsiveness is highly dependent on disk I/O. The SiI5723 does support several RAID modes that could potentially improve random I/O.

Last edited by bkdtv : 10-17-2007 at 03:29 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #134
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef
The eSATA from what I hear is in fact "Enabled" on this unit as it is "Enabled" on the S3. Just it won't be officially supported until they come out with their "BRANDED" Tivo eSATA drive.
This is not correct.

See FAQ #2 of the Series3 eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion. FAQ #2 was added at Tivo's request.

Tivo is working to add eSATA support to the TivoHD with a future software update. According to Tivo's web site, eSATA support is coming "late 2007." But the current Kickstart 62 method to enable eSATA does not work. If you've reviewed the above specifications, it may be clear why.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #135
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
This is not correct.

See FAQ #2 of the Series3 eSATA Drive Expansion: FAQ + Discussion. FAQ #2 was added at Tivo's request.

Tivo is working to add eSATA support to the TivoHD with a future software update. According to Tivo's web site, eSATA support is coming "late 2007." But the current Kickstart 62 method to enable eSATA does not work. If you've reviewed the above specifications, it may be clear why.
Thanks for the info...

HD Newbie Question...

Since the new Tivo will only have 20 hours of HD storage, can I split my cable so that I can still use my Series2? That way I could use S2 for analog and the Tivo HD for HD.

Basically I don't know if a CableCard set up allows for splitting. And yes I realize that the S2 would only be able to receive analog and non-premium channels.

Also, does Time Warner or others currently have the M-Card?

Sony SXRD 60A2020 | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Tivo HD | LG BD570 | Toshiba HD-A3 | Wii | Xbox 360
Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #136
Teledatageek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
That is incorrect. You can transfer any subscription to another box. You will have to buy the box at retail and not from Tivo.com however. All you do is buy the box and login to Tivo.com to change the TSN. It takes about 2 minutes to do.
Wondering if I screwed up.....

I have an S3 and had a non-working S2 that I hadn't canceled yet. So, yesterday I call Tivo to cancel the S2 as I thought the new HD Tivo would be few/several weeks out and it seemed dumb to keep paying on the non-working S2.

So, now I want to buy the new HD Tivo for $299 from Tivo.com but I have to get a plan with it so it appears.

Is the best bet to buy a pre-paid $299.00 plan? Then I'm presuming the existing would drop to $6.95 per month.

Am I going about this the right way?!
Teledatageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #137
Maverickster

Alirght, I'm getting ready to buy this thing and I just need to make sure I have the subscription "system" down right.

It's my understanding that you cannot do a lifetime transfer from either a Series2 box (which I currently own) or from one of the qualifying "grandfathered" Series1 boxes (which I would have to go buy). Correct?

So, my only option is to sell my existing Series2 Box w/ Lifetime & 300 GB HDD on eBay, buy a new TiVoHD, and EITHER:

1. Buy a Lifetime Gift Card with some time left on it on eBay (will these work with the TiVoHD?); or
2. Pay for a new subscription for the new TiVoHD (probably 3-year, since they're running that at the price of a 2-year right now).

Correct?

Thanks in advance.

--Mav
Maverickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM   #138
Sandlapper

So what's the differences in the S3 and the HD?

Smaller HDD, no LED display on the front, and non THX certification?

Am I missing anything?
Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #139
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teledatageek
Then I'm presuming the existing would drop to $6.95 per month.
This is no longer true, MSD are now available on new subscriptions only. If you buy a per-paid plan you will not get the discount on your existing TiVo.

Good Luck
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #140
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
So what's the differences in the S3 and the HD?

Smaller HDD, no LED display on the front, and non THX certification?

Am I missing anything?
no eSATA (at least currently) and no fancy remote

Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 PM   #141
Sandlapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfer
no eSATA (at least currently) and no fancy remote
Refresh my memory, isn't eSATA just something to do with HDD's?
Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #142
robmfielding

I just ordered a Tivo HD from Best Buy and was told by a Tivo Rep that the grandfather lifetime transfer is eligible if is bought from a retailer. He said if you buy the Tivo HD from Tivo directly it was not being offered. He in fact put a note on my account regarding it and said they would have to give it to me when I called back.
robmfielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #143
dolfer
Myles Standish Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Refresh my memory, isn't eSATA just something to do with HDD's?
Yes, eSATA let's you easily add an external hard drive to your Tivo without cracking the case or doing any hard core hacking.

There is an easy hack that let's you activate the eSATA port on the Series3. However, apparently, this hack does not work on the Tivo HD.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #144
Teledatageek

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella
This is no longer true, MSD are now available on new subscriptions only. If you buy a per-paid plan you will not get the discount on your existing TiVo.

Good Luck
Update......

So, I call Tivo and basically I'm hosed because I canceled my account on the S2. Seems like they would cut me a little slack and let me reactivate but they won't.

The rep also said that MSD does not apply to units purchased from Tivo direct and suggested I buy one from BestBuy, Circuit City, etc.

While I'm talking to her, I log into my Tivo.com account and it says that I AM eligible for MSD when buying the unit from Tivo.com. Of course to get the rate of $6.95, I have to commit to three years. Pre-paid does not quality as you state. The rep had no idea what I was talking about and still encouraged me to buy from a retailer to get the MSD. Seems dumb to me as I'm sure Tivo makes more $$ on the sale of direct units.....
Teledatageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #145
dvr4me

Just an FYI that my order from Best Buy is now showing completed.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #146
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvr4me
Just an FYI that my order from Best Buy is now showing completed.
If you get a shipping notice from Best Buy, please let us know.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #147
spelcheker
Giant Forehead Dude

Just one simple question. If I hook up an external antenna to get broadcast HD, can I record 2 HD broadcasts at the same time? Scoured this thread and main site and can't figure this out.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #148
gbronzer

Quote:
If you get a shipping notice from Best Buy, please let us know.
I bought mine from BB.com last night and got a tracking number this morning. The tracking number isn't active yet though, but still, it means it's probably sitting on the dock waiting to be picked up by UPS.

I'm also going to attempt to transfer my grandfathered lifetime sub to this Tivo, so if the above comment about it having to not be bought from Tivo is true, I'll let everyone know.
gbronzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #149
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelcheker
Just one simple question. If I hook up an external antenna to get broadcast HD, can I record 2 HD broadcasts at the same time? Scoured this thread and main site and can't figure this out.
Yes. You can record two different HD broadcasts while watching a third, previously recorded HD broadcast.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #150
CharlesH

Quote:
Yes. You can record two different HD broadcasts while watching a third, previously recorded HD broadcast.
In other words, in the S3 and HD TiVo, both the antenna and cable inputs go to both tuners, so you can be recording two programs from either source at the same time (while watching something already recorded on the TiVo, if you want).
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote