TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #61
cgould

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake
That's an interesting question, and one that probably can only be reliably answered by a Tivo rep or someone who has a cable company doing digital simulcast. Are the channels mapped to their normal analog numbers when you use Comcast's box? I am willing to bet Tivo will just use the analog version.
Just like the S3, it will depend on what your cable company has activated/targeted to your account (cablecards.) It is not up to Tivo, but how the CableCards are programmed to map the channels. It would be the same as what your comcast box would show.

It may be possible (but difficult, normal CSR cluelessness) to get them to change the ADS setting for your account, however you prefer. (Sometimes digital is better quality, sometimes analog, depends how good your analog is. )
If you get a digital-only comcast box, that will normally activate ADS for your account. If not, it may default to analog mapping. YMMV.
cgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #62
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould
Just like the S3, it will depend on what your cable company has activated/targeted to your account (cablecards.) It is not up to Tivo, but how the CableCards are programmed to map the channels. It would be the same as what your comcast box would show.

It may be possible (but difficult, normal CSR cluelessness) to get them to change the ADS setting for your account, however you prefer. (Sometimes digital is better quality, sometimes analog, depends how good your analog is. )
If you get a digital-only comcast box, that will normally activate ADS for your account. If not, it may default to analog mapping. YMMV.
Analog might be better than digital at the source, but not once it gets through the TiVo's encoders. It's either far inferior or it takes up almost 3 times the space.

I have a 3416 now, so it must be is on my account now. Does that mean it will be on future Cablecards I order? Even if I, at the same time I order the Cablecards, turn in the digital box?

Does anyone know if ADS (nice to know the name of it) is activated for anyone who has digital cable, or only for people with the digital-only DVRs? Or is that a market-by-market question?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #63
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150
I call shenanigans. The box says it's not shipping for 2-3 weeks (if you really did get this message, it's likely an error, as was the early pre-order page).
I ordered mine from bestbuy.com today and it shipped within 4 hours, UPS tracking number and all.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #64
Mongoos150

Interesting - any reason you went with BB over Tivo.com? Which one should I go with? I'm buying tomorow.
Mongoos150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #65
aus1ander
schmoopy

I went with BB since I have two Tivos already and want to use the MSD (multi-service discount). If I bought from Tivo.com directly, I would be forced to use their package deals.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #66
Mongoos150

So - for a first time TiVo buyer, which would you recommend? I'd like the box ASAP, since my cable is being installed next week...
Old 07-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #67
smark

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
Analog might be better than digital at the source, but not once it gets through the TiVo's encoders. It's either far inferior or it takes up almost 3 times the space.

I have a 3416 now, so it must be is on my account now. Does that mean it will be on future Cablecards I order? Even if I, at the same time I order the Cablecards, turn in the digital box?

Does anyone know if ADS (nice to know the name of it) is activated for anyone who has digital cable, or only for people with the digital-only DVRs? Or is that a market-by-market question?
If you have a box, you should be on ADS. It is not specific to DVRs.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #68
Legacy679

Tivo website now supports giving MSD. I just had to login to my account and then go to Buy Tivo -> Tivo Plans to see that I could get MSD pricing. I figured it was cheaper to go through Tivo website for free shipping and no taxes.
Legacy679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #69
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by smark
If you have a box, you should be on ADS. It is not specific to DVRs.
Thanks. Is it fair to say, then, that the only people in an ADS market who are not on ADS are people who have never had a digital box?
Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #70
ldc3000

Quote:
Interesting - any reason you went with BB over Tivo.com? Which one should I go with? I'm buying tomorow.
I went with Circuit City. I was going to order from bestbuy, but they weren't offering an extended warranty through the website. I called their customer service and she told me that I could go to my local store and buy the warranty, but didn't know how much it costed. Seemed like to much work since Circuit City had warranty listed right on the same page as the Tivo Hd, so I went with them.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #71
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
So - for a first time TiVo buyer, which would you recommend? I'd like the box ASAP, since my cable is being installed next week...
I don't think it really matters for first time buyers, honestly. The main difference is shipping is free from Tivo.com. I'm not sure if Tivo.com charges sales tax...
Old 07-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #72
aaronwt
HD Addict

Any mention of Lifetime transfers like with the S3?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #73
aus1ander
schmoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy679
Tivo website now supports giving MSD. I just had to login to my account and then go to Buy Tivo -> Tivo Plans to see that I could get MSD pricing. I figured it was cheaper to go through Tivo website for free shipping and no taxes.
Wow, I stand corrected. So if I had gone with Tivo.com, I probably would have saved 10 bucks.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #74
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake
That's an interesting question, and one that probably can only be reliably answered by a Tivo rep or someone who has a cable company doing digital simulcast. Are the channels mapped to their normal analog numbers when you use Comcast's box? I am willing to bet Tivo will just use the analog version.
If you cable system has simulcast you will have no say on the channel that is recorded as the cable cards do the switching. I have that system now on my Comcast cable system and I can't get any analog channels, I can't select the record quality for any channel on my Series 3.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #75
smark

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
Thanks. Is it fair to say, then, that the only people in an ADS market who are not on ADS are people who have never had a digital box?
If you mean the only people in an ADS market who are not getting the ADS versions of channels are people WITHOUT a digital box or cablecard then you are correct.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:51 PM   #76
Mongoos150

Since I can make the purchase all at once (HD box, 1 yr service, Glo remote) I'll go through TiVo.com. I'm purchasing tomorow - hopefully the box will ship quickly (not the 14-21 day estimated shipping)... I dont' even want to THINK about the cablecard nightmare that would make, with my installer coming out next week. >_<
Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #77
mph005

They made it pretty clear to me they wouldn't ship until mid August. I suppose you can hope all you want.
mph005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #78
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by smark
If you mean the only people in an ADS market who are not getting the ADS versions of channels are people WITHOUT a digital box or cablecard then you are correct.
So it extends to Cablecards, too? That means that any Series 3 or TiVoHD with a Cablecard in it in an ADS market will get the ADS channels? Cool. Exactly the answer I was looking for.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #79
sirfergy

I wonder when this will be available for rewards and how many points.
sirfergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:17 PM   #80
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb
No other wireless adapters will work at all? How can they do that? I highly doubt this, but if true those of us with brand new eSATA hard drives might be getting a little nervous. What's to prevent TiVo doing the same thing with external HDD's. barring the use of any drive other than their own impending TiVo branded drive?
there is a massive difference between eSata drive and wireless USB adpaters.
USB adaptes kept changing chip sets and never wrote linux drivers for them. TiVo had a very hard time keeping up with those changes plus all the time anything they could do just sucked up resources on the TiVo DVR. Finally tiVo put out its own adapter and designed it to do most of the work on the adpater versus on the DVR.
I would not use another adapter on the TiVo DVR anyway, they are designed for PCs and not for a consumer electronic appliance running Linux
Old 07-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #81
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00001
Acording to a Seattletimes.com article, the eSATA hack is not available on the TivoHD.

"The box has a fast eSata port but it won't work until TiVo provides a software upgrade. Creative Series 3 users have figured out a hack to add external drives, Denney noted, but the hack won't work on the TiVo HD."

The link is as follows.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...ex.html#017547
wow in that same article is confirmation they are working on HD downloads.

"Microsoft also sells high-definition video downloads, which aren't yet available for the TiVo HD. TiVo also won't immediately activate the HD downloading capability, but it's in the works, said Jim Denney, vice president of product marketing."

then the blogger goes off into some wild thoughts about getting a dual cable card capable Media center for 800$ and TVs having ethernet ports for downloading content directly
Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #82
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
there is a massive difference between eSata drive and wireless USB adpaters.
USB adaptes kept changing chip sets and never wrote linux drivers for them. TiVo had a very hard time keeping up with those changes plus all the time anything they could do just sucked up resources on the TiVo DVR. Finally tiVo put out its own adapter and designed it to do most of the work on the adpater versus on the DVR.
I would not use another adapter on the TiVo DVR anyway, they are designed for PCs and not for a consumer electronic appliance running Linux
Yeah. Dan203 already set me straight on this. I got a little worried since I bought two eSATA drives yesterday and installed them in their cases about two minutes before the big TiVo announcement. I feel pretty confident now that TiVo will still support "other branded" eSATA drives so I'll stop with my paranoia.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #83
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph005
They made it pretty clear to me they wouldn't ship until mid August. I suppose you can hope all you want.
Circuit City's website lists the box as being available for in-store pickup in my area. I have never seen it say that when an item wasn't available yet.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #84
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Does "dropped support" mean that no other adapters work with the HD? They never officially "supported" any other adapters, did they?

If no other adapters work now, I wonder why they made that change? I use a non-TiVo adapter with my Series 3, and it seems to work good.
Yes, that's what it means. If you want WiFi you use TiVo's adapter, period.

Why? Notice TiVo hasn't added any new adapters to the supported list in a LONG, LONG time. Once they came out with their own adapter they basically stopped struggling to deal with the ever-changing 3rd party adapter market.

So all of the other adapters that were supported on older units like the S2DT and S3 are WAY out of date, and can't do WPA on a TiVo (WEP is worthless). They also don't perform anywhere near as well.

I'm sure TiVo would love to drop support for all old adapters just to lower support costs, but that'd piss off too many current users. But the introduction of a new box is the perfect time to make a clean break. Why do any work to port over drivers for ancient adapters that aren't nearly as good as TiVo's own adapter? I still see people getting burned trying to cheap it out and buy some 3rd party adapter, only to find they have some sub-revision with a different chipset than the driver handles. Supporting 3rd party adapters was *hell*, even partnering with Linksys didn't help - they still up and changed their hardware without telling TiVo, breaking support.

Since the TiVo adapter was released, there has not been a good reason to use anything else. The little added cost is worth it for real security, better performance, and keeping your sanity. I have little pity for those who try to find a supported 3rd party adapter to save a little money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #85
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
Yes, that's what it means. If you want WiFi you use TiVo's adapter, period.

Why? Notice TiVo hasn't added any new adapters to the supported list in a LONG, LONG time. Once they came out with their own adapter they basically stopped struggling to deal with the ever-changing 3rd party adapter market.

So all of the other adapters that were supported on older units like the S2DT and S3 are WAY out of date, and can't do WPA on a TiVo (WEP is worthless). They also don't perform anywhere near as well.

I'm sure TiVo would love to drop support for all old adapters just to lower support costs, but that'd piss off too many current users. But the introduction of a new box is the perfect time to make a clean break. Why do any work to port over drivers for ancient adapters that aren't nearly as good as TiVo's own adapter? I still see people getting burned trying to cheap it out and buy some 3rd party adapter, only to find they have some sub-revision with a different chipset than the driver handles. Supporting 3rd party adapters was *hell*, even partnering with Linksys didn't help - they still up and changed their hardware without telling TiVo, breaking support.

Since the TiVo adapter was released, there has not been a good reason to use anything else. The little added cost is worth it for real security, better performance, and keeping your sanity. I have little pity for those who try to find a supported 3rd party adapter to save a little money.
There is another option for using wireless without using TiVo's unit. You can hook a wireless ethernet bridge to the TiVo's ethernet port. I bought a Buffalo unit that's a wireless ethernet bridge with four ethernet ports. I think it's this one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...578&CatId=1594

You can hook your TiVo and, say, an XBox 360 to the wireless network with one wireless device and two ethernet cables. The 360's wireless adapter alone was like $90.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #86
Mongoos150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph005
Several people here have reported receiving shipping notifications already from both TiVo.com and BB.com.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #87
ldc3000

Quote:
Several people here have reported receiving shipping notifications already from both TiVo.com and BB.com.

Still doesn't mean item are being shipped. Just a label was created for shipment and the carrier was electronically notified.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #88
Mongoos150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldc3000
Still doesn't mean item are being shipped. Just a label was created for shipment and the carrier was electronically notified.
Incorrect - all of those people have verified tracking numbers (with estimated delivery at the end of this week). Read through the threads.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #89
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldc3000
I think the fact that some major retailers already have the item in stock pretty much confirms the box is available. The delay listed on the Tivo.com site is most likely due to the fact that they expect a large demand on the item so they want to be on the safe side.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #90
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Incorrect - all of those people have verified tracking numbers (with estimated delivery at the end of this week). Read through the threads.
I have - and those are poor conclusions.

I know from experience that when electronic shipping labels are created they immediately go into the system, and a delivery estimate is generated based on standard shipping times from source to destination.

But the labels being generated doesn't mean the item is actually on the dock ready to ship. Until you see a scan of the item being picked up, it isn't really shipped - just in the system as pending shipment.

Don't get your hopes up until someone sees an actually departure scan and the item starts working its way through the depots.

TiVo told me directly they would not be shipping until 'early August', so it would be surprising for them to actually ship now.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote