Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #31
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Not all providers/regions may even be providing M-Cards yet. Which could add time/confusion to the learning curves of installers and phone agents. I didn't want to tempt fate and didn't even try to get one for my review unit, just went with OTA and analog cable.
I think it was the Reuters article which said TiVo was bulking up/stepping up to the CC support plate. Sounds like they are expending more resources to deal with issues and cut out the "its not my (cable/TiVO) equipments' fault" bind people find themselves in. They are starting a special unit.

No Multichannel News:

Quote:
In the second new development aimed at cable, TiVo established a dedicated CableCARD-support group, which will field front-line calls from customers who have questions or problems installing CableCARDs.

“Cable wants to reduce their support costs. We’re stepping up to be the central point of contact on CableCARDs,” Klugman said. “We recognize that CableCARD is an important initiative for us and for cable operators to make sure that the CableCARD installation is seamless.”
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6462451.html
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #32
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00001
Acording to a Seattletimes.com article, the eSATA hack is not available on the TivoHD.

"The box has a fast eSata port but it won't work until TiVo provides a software upgrade. Creative Series 3 users have figured out a hack to add external drives, Denney noted, but the hack won't work on the TiVo HD."

The link is as follows.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...ex.html#017547
I bet the take-out-the-drive method will work, maybe not the kickstart62 method. Unless the drivers aren't even in the OS yet (I think one review said the TivoHD was 8.1 while the S3 is 8.3?).

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #33
Mongoos150

Now to decide whether to pre-order from Tivo.com or wait until CC/BB has it in stock. Which will get it in my paws faster?
Mongoos150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #34
jestyr40

Ok, I may be confused from all the switching the site did when they were getting the new Tivo HD online.

I think the Tivo HD only allows one Digital, and one analog recording at a time.

Is this correct? Why do they need two cable cards if this is true.

Ok.. here's my FAQ. can someone fill in the blanks for me?

1. Can I record two HD channels at once?
2. Can I record two digital channels at once?
3. Can I record two SD channels at once?
4. Can I record any mixture of the above at once (within the 2 tuner limit)
jestyr40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #35
linkgirl

I ordered from Tivo very late last night and it shipped this morning
linkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #36
Krellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seattle Times
"The box has a fast eSata port but it won't work until TiVo provides a software upgrade. Creative Series 3 users have figured out a hack to add external drives, Denney noted, but the hack won't work on the TiVo HD."
That sounds like a challenge!
)
TiVo HD XL (S3, Lifetime) @ 1TB - CableCARD/TA
TiVo Premiere XL4/Elite (S4, Lifetime) @ 2TB - CableCARD/TA
Krellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #37
Mongoos150

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgirl
I call shenanigans. The box says it's not shipping for 2-3 weeks (if you really did get this message, it's likely an error, as was the early pre-order page).
Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #38
doormat

I've got a UPS tracking number already, I dont think its shens.
Tracking Number: 1Z 1X3 V72 03 123x xxx x
Type: Package
Shipped To: LAS VEGAS, NV, US
Shipped/Billed On: 07/24/2007
Service: GROUND
Weight: 18.00 Lbs
Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #39
linkgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150
I call shenanigans. The box says it's not shipping for 2-3 weeks (if you really did get this message, it's likely an error, as was the early pre-order page).
*shrugs* I'm looking at the ups.com page that was just updated to show my shipping address and an 18lb package coming my way.
linkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #40
Balzer

Arrow Hdmi-dvi

Oh yea.. I've been thinking of getting a Series3, but decided it was cost prohibitive. I WILL be getting the new HD box now! I still have an original Phillips Series1 box that is still working as a backup after over 5 years now, so I can't wait to get back to the original and best DVR.

I just have one question. My older HD TV does not have a HDMI connection. It has DVI. I use a HDMI to DVI cable with my cable company's Motorola box. I assume that sort of connection works with the Series3, and will work with the new HD box, correct?

I suppose I could go back to component if it doesn't work.

Thanks for any assistance.
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 PM   #41
Mongoos150

Interesting... Very Strange.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #42
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer
Oh yea.. I've been thinking of getting a Series3, but decided it was cost prohibitive. I WILL be getting the new HD box now! I still have an original Phillips Series1 box that is still working as a backup after over 5 years now, so I can't wait to get back to the original and best DVR.

I just have one question. My older HD TV does not have a HDMI connection. It has DVI. I use a HDMI to DVI cable with my cable company's Motorola box. I assume that sort of connection works with the Series3, and will work with the new HD box, correct?

I suppose I could go back to component if it doesn't work.

Thanks for any assistance.
HDMI and DVI are electrically the same. HDMI adds additional support for audio, but as far as audio is concerned there is no difference between HDMI and DVI. You will be able to use a HDMI-DVI cable in any instance where you have one and need the other (with the caveat that you'll need to get the sound there some other way).
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #43
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestyr40
Ok, I may be confused from all the switching the site did when they were getting the new Tivo HD online.

I think the Tivo HD only allows one Digital, and one analog recording at a time.

Is this correct?
No.

The capabilities are the same as the S3. Each tuner can record from any of the available sources. The only problem is that, if you have only one single-stream CableCard installed, the whole thing becomes a one-tuner device.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #44
jblake

Do these downrez? I have a SDTV in my dorm room right now, but in a few weeks I move to a different room and will be bringing my HDTV from home. Does it have RF out and downrez HD channels?
jblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #45
Krellion

It doesn't have an RF-out (there are two RF-ins, one for cable, one for antenna). The composite and s-video outputs are always at 480i (SD), while the component and HDMI are user-selectable between 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

It will down/up-convert the video as needed, based on the output setting.
)
TiVo HD XL (S3, Lifetime) @ 1TB - CableCARD/TA
TiVo Premiere XL4/Elite (S4, Lifetime) @ 2TB - CableCARD/TA
Krellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #46
S3-2501

I notice that the specs for the display output options list each individual resolution, but not a "native" option like on the S3. Does this mean users will have to manually switch resolutions to watch programs in their native resolution?
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #47
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globular
Does anyone know if the Ethernet connection is gigabit? It doesn't say on the web site.

-Matt
I really doubt it.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #48
drew00001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake
Do these downrez? I have a SDTV in my dorm room right now, but in a few weeks I move to a different room and will be bringing my HDTV from home. Does it have RF out and downrez HD channels?
Likely, the S3 would output to several formats. The S3 even had a small button on the front to change such during install. If I were you, I would download a copy of the TivoHD's manual to make sure.
drew00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #49
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501
I notice that the specs for the display output options list each individual resolution, but not a "native" option like on the S3. Does this mean users will have to manually switch resolutions to watch programs in their native resolution?
No. The TivoHD provides all the output choices on the Series3 -- including the native option -- plus one more.

You can see screenshots at Megazone's TivoHD Review.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #50
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
No. The TivoHD provides all the output choices on the Series3 -- including the native option -- plus one more.

You can see screenshots at Megazone's TivoHD Review.
I know there are a million options, but I'd like one more.

I'd love the option to run all content at 720p except 1080i content, which I would run at 1080i. On my current 1366X768 set, SD content looks best upconverted to 720p, 720p content looks best at 720p and 1080i content looks best at 1080i.

I wish the box would give me a different output resolution option for each source resolution.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #51
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
I know there are a million options, but I'd like one more.

I'd love the option to run all content at 720p except 1080i content, which I would run at 1080i. On my current 1366X768 set, SD content looks best upconverted to 720p, 720p content looks best at 720p and 1080i content looks best at 1080i.

I wish the box would give me a different output resolution option for each source resolution.
Many of us have been asking for that option since the Series3 was released.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #52
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megazone's review
One important change with the TiVo HD - for WiFi the TiVo HD only supports the TiVo branded adapter. With this new unit TiVo has dropped support for all of the older adapters that are still supported on the S2DT and S3.
Does "dropped support" mean that no other adapters work with the HD? They never officially "supported" any other adapters, did they?

If no other adapters work now, I wonder why they made that change? I use a non-TiVo adapter with my Series 3, and it seems to work good.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #53
URPREY
Closet TiVo User

Just ordered mine from the TC store. Hopefully the install for this one will go better than my S3 install. I know who to call at the cable company to get it working correctly now
URPREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #54
gbronzer

I've got a grandfather eligible S1 I've been holding onto for just this day. I want to buy/pre-order the TivoHD, but all the options on the website require a subscription. Does anyone know how I can order a TivoHD without the subscription, so I can then transfer my lifetime account from my S1? Or do I have to wait until stores are selling the units, and buy from someplace else.

Thanks.

Related Thread
Quote:
Grandfather transfer: The one-time "Grandfather transfer" (for people who purchased Product Lifetime on or before January 21, 2000 [as in, more than six years ago], and who have not already used their one-time transfer) is still allowed and will also be honored for future hardware releases from TiVo, such as the Series3. If you have any trouble when you call, please mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.

gbronzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #55
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Does "dropped support" mean that no other adapters work with the HD? They never officially "supported" any other adapters, did they?

If no other adapters work now, I wonder why they made that change? I use a non-TiVo adapter with my Series 3, and it seems to work good.
It seems so. Why? $$

Bad decision though.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #56
aindik

Does anyone know if the Series 3 and the TiVoHD will, when configured with Cablecards, record from the digital simulcast channels in the "analog tier," rather than the actual analog channels.

IOW, Comcast sends two versions of each of the channels in their Expanded Basic lineup (CNN, VH-1, etc.). One version is used by cable-ready tuners and is truly analog. Another version is used by boxes like the Motorola 3416 DVR, which lacks analog tuners and encoders. These feeds are 480i digital from the head end, transmitted separately from the true analog versions. I see both sets of some of the channels using my TV's QAM tuner.

When the TiVoHD has Cablecards installed, does it use the analog channels (using its own compression and encoding) or the digital channels (using the cable company's head-end compression and encoding)?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #57
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
It seems so. Why? $$

Bad decision though.
No other wireless adapters will work at all? How can they do that? I highly doubt this, but if true those of us with brand new eSATA hard drives might be getting a little nervous. What's to prevent TiVo doing the same thing with external HDD's. barring the use of any drive other than their own impending TiVo branded drive?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #58
ldc3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweiler
I ordered mine this morning and I already have an email that it has been shipped w/ a UPS tracking number. Anybody else get this? Is this standard operating procedure for a preorder like this or is my box really on its way today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgirl

When a label is generated through one of the UPS systems it creates a tracking number there on the spot. If you check the tracking it will probably just say manifest scan, billing information received, or no information found. That just means a label has been made. Once you see an origin scan, pickup scan or, location scan that means that UPS physical has the package and it is on its way.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #59
jblake

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
Does anyone know if the Series 3 and the TiVoHD will, when configured with Cablecards, record from the digital simulcast channels in the "analog tier," rather than the actual analog channels.

IOW, Comcast sends two versions of each of the channels in their Expanded Basic lineup (CNN, VH-1, etc.). One version is used by cable-ready tuners and is truly analog. Another version is used by boxes like the Motorola 3416 DVR, which lacks analog tuners and encoders. These feeds are 480i digital from the head end, transmitted separately from the true analog versions. I see both sets of some of the channels using my TV's QAM tuner.

When the TiVoHD has Cablecards installed, does it use the analog channels (using its own compression and encoding) or the digital channels (using the cable company's head-end compression and encoding)?
That's an interesting question, and one that probably can only be reliably answered by a Tivo rep or someone who has a cable company doing digital simulcast. Are the channels mapped to their normal analog numbers when you use Comcast's box? I am willing to bet Tivo will just use the analog version.
jblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #60
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake
That's an interesting question, and one that probably can only be reliably answered by a Tivo rep or someone who has a cable company doing digital simulcast. Are the channels mapped to their normal analog numbers when you use Comcast's box? I am willing to bet Tivo will just use the analog version.
Yes, they are mapped to their standard channel numbers (i.e., the same ones used by an analog box).

I suppose one way to know is if a Season Pass on that channel gives you the option of changing the recording quality or not. If not, then the TiVo knows the channel is digital, right?

If it just uses the analog version, that would kinda suck for hard drive space purposes because it would take up much more space at TiVo's "best" quality than it would with the cable company's compression.