Series2 DirecTV HD Unit 90 20.36%
Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #391
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel
I've been getting an error on one of my DTivos when I go to the to do list. The error is:
read-only file system
I have this sometimes too. Connect to your box and issue the 'rw' command (if zippered) which will mount that filesystem read/write instead of read-only.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:10 AM   #392
Stewie_G

Question

I hate to ask this question but life has taught me to be suspicious. What does DVRupgrade get out of supplying this "beta"?
Stewie_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #393
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie_G
I hate to ask this question but life has taught me to be suspicious. What does DVRupgrade get out of supplying this "beta"?
We don't get anything out of it. The service is currently free (just as membership to TCF is free as well as many other things out there such as gmail, yahoo mail, etc).

Enjoy it. There are no strings attached.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #394
SteveT
Just a member

dbclient hogging CPU

Any progress determining why dbclient takes 30-60% of the CPU (per TOP)?

I see the problem on both my 6.3 and 6.2 systems. I can make it go away by restarting, but it comes back eventually. I usually notice it in a day or so.

I have an unreliable internet connection that hangs up occasionally. Could it be related to that?
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #395
needo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT
Any progress determining why dbclient takes 30-60% of the CPU (per TOP)?

I see the problem on both my 6.3 and 6.2 systems. I can make it go away by restarting, but it comes back eventually. I usually notice it in a day or so.

I have an unreliable internet connection that hangs up occasionally. Could it be related to that?
I experience the same thing. I have re-created /dev/null to no avail. When i do a strace on the dbclient process I get...

gettimeofday({1183130224, 537276}, NULL) = 0
_newselect(9, [0 3 7 8], [], NULL, {20, 0}) = 1 (in [0], left {20, 0})

Over and over again.
needo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #396
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

There is really no update here. Although its strange that the dbclient process resource utilization climbs on some units (as reported by ps and top) there is also no indication that it impacts performance of these units (I've seen it happen on my own units and it doesn't impact performance at all). I've had the developer look into it and he is pretty sure its something going on internal the OS when system calls are made by the client, but there is no obvious workaround to the issue which is likely kernel-related and not dbclient-related.

In short, since there is no 'problem' (by 'problem' i mean it is not interfering with normal operation of the unit) its not worth trying to create a workaround...

Thx,
Lou

Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #397
needo

The latest version of dbclient is 0.49.1, where gotodvdr 1.2 uses dbclient 0.47. I tried plugging the 0.49.1 binary and the load problem was solved. However after about 3-5 minutes the process would stop accepting connections. I do not know what the cause of this is. Would it be possible to release maybe a gotodvdr 1.2.1 with the latest version of dbclient working?

EDIT: I am sure 0.47.3 might be a dropin fix. But I have not been able to find that version to test with.

Last edited by needo : 06-29-2007 at 11:42 AM.
needo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #398
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by needo
The latest version of dbclient is 0.49.1, where gotodvdr 1.2 uses dbclient 0.47. I tried plugging the 0.49.1 binary and the load problem was solved. However after about 3-5 minutes the process would stop accepting connections. I do not know what the cause of this is. Would it be possible to release maybe a gotodvdr 1.2.1 with the latest version of dbclient working?

EDIT: I am sure 0.47.3 might be a dropin fix. But I have not been able to find that version to test with.
I don't think its that simple as it would require another engagement with the contractors who did the development work. In addition, there doesn't appear to be any compelling reason to actually do so, since the current version is working fine with several thousand users currently using the site.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #399
speckhals

I keep getting a "Disconnected" message after clicking on HiGuide or todo list. It downloads a partial listing with the message after it. I read much of the forum and noticed that message comes up but I can't find the solution. Is there a update program available? My TiVo is on my wireless network...would that be my major problem?
speckhals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #400
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckhals
I keep getting a "Disconnected" message after clicking on HiGuide or todo list. It downloads a partial listing with the message after it. I read much of the forum and noticed that message comes up but I can't find the solution. Is there a update program available? My TiVo is on my wireless network...would that be my major problem?
This is mentioned earlier in the thread as a "timeout" issue - the TiVo is taking too long to complete the task you've asked it to, and our server gives up waiting for it and assumes the unit is disconnected. If that happens, you might wait a little longer and then try the same function again, and it may come up faster (because some of the information will be cached in the TiVo's memory).

If you read through the first several pages of this thread you'll get some of the background on the issue and why increasing the timeout delay is not necessarily going to help alot.

Best recommendation is to avoid those functions that take a very long time to process and you won't get the message.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #401
ciper

I dont want to take away from this application but I have written a script so the Tivo updates its own dynamic DNS so that you can access it from a URL. The script is pretty bulletproof and I wouldn't mind to share the details with anyone who is interested.
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #402
speckhals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper
I dont want to take away from this application but I have written a script so the Tivo updates its own dynamic DNS so that you can access it from a URL. The script is pretty bulletproof and I wouldn't mind to share the details with anyone who is interested.
I'd like to give it a try.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #403
ciper

Im guessing we are still not supposed to post links to a certain other site? If so then try to get a deal on a database and look for thread number 51840
Old 07-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #404
Conodor

Can you watch shows from your tivo over the web? i have read alot of these posts and didn't really see yes or no.

thanks!
Conodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:02 AM   #405
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conodor
Can you watch shows from your tivo over the web? i have read alot of these posts and didn't really see yes or no.

thanks!
With a SlingPlayer , sure...

But this thread (and the tool being discussed here) has nothing to do with that.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #406
ciper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conodor

thanks!
Yes but the upload speed of my internet connection is so slow its not worth it. I use a slingplayer instead for that.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #407
SteveT
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needo

needo, have you made any progress on working around this? Maybe no one else is impacted by this, but I am. I have a cellular internet connection which drops regularly, so maybe that contributes. Whatever the reason, I have to turn off gotomydvr often to run any intensive jobs on the tivo. Any help appreciated.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #408
roadrashjd

I'm getting this error when I try and access the NPL. I searched the site and couldn't find an answer. Any ideas?
-------------------------------------
INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_nowshowing '' ''
bad index "125430/13": must be integer or "end"
while executing
"lindex {0 0 3} $sort"
(procedure "MOD::action_nowshowing" line 79)
invoked from within
"$cmd $p1 $p2 $p3"
(procedure "do_action" line 19)
invoked from within
"do_action $action $chan $part $env 1"
--cut here--
----------------------------------------------
roadrashjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #409
shredhead

I'm getting the "your tivos must be disconnected" on all three of my units. They worked when I first installed gotomydvr many months ago. I have not been using it but I am curious as to why it isn't working.
shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #410
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

The "Internal Server Error" is an error message from TiVoWebPlus; has nothing to do with gotomydvr.

If you are getting a "disconnected" message, it may be because your TiVo's lost contact with the gotomydvr server. Try restarting the gotomydvr client; easiest way to do that is to restart your TiVo.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #411
ciper

http://www.pimpedurl.com/?VL1DAxaVE8 should work with any networked Tivo, requires standard binaries and uses DynDNS which has been around since 1997.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #412
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper
http://www.pimpedurl.com/?VL1DAxaVE8 should work with any networked Tivo, requires standard binaries and uses DynDNS which has been around since 1997.
A little bit off-topic, wouldn't you say? The point of gotomydvr is that you don't need to use DynDNS, or anything of that nature. Please pimp your own contributions on your own thread... thanks!

Lou

Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #413
SteveT
Just a member

my tweaks for using gotomydvr service

I have created a new thread with some tweaks and techniques for using gotomydvr. Thanks for a great service!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #414
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT
I have created a new thread with some tweaks and techniques for using gotomydvr. Thanks for a great service!
Steve,

Thanks for this; I've read through your notes and hopefully will have some time in the coming weeks to test things out on a few units here, as well. Very interested to see/read about others use of things; if it makes sense, at some point, I may be able to update the client distro, or create an alternative one.

Thx again,
Lou

Old 09-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #415
goofeyfoot

Can't Run Gotomydvr

Don't know whether this is the correct place to post but here goes.

SVR2000. Have Turbo Net Card.

Telnet seems to work real good. But can't seem to properly install the gotomydvr application (whatever it is called)

Here is the error I got when I did this. It's a direct quotation off the Telnet session:

"TiVo: {/var/tmp} % /gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: TCP forward failed: Error listening:
Address already in use
/gotomydvr/bin/dbclient: Failed local port forward 7:127.0.0.1:7"

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Michael

Sony SVR 2000
One drive
Tivo Net Card
Time Warner Roadrunner
Linksys Router
goofeyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #416
Trekker182

I tried upgrading to tivowebplus2.0 and it didn't work out so I went back to the 1.3 release. Now, when I try to connect ot the gotomydvr home page and click connect for my tivo, I get a authentification required box asking for my username and password for tivowebplus 1.3.1 at https://gotomydvr.com. I enter my email and username I already have registered, but it just pops up again blank. I reinstalled the client and it's still asking me for my username and password in the box.
Trekker182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #417
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

A search in this thread gives these results:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4495930

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4751410
Old 10-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #418
Trekker182

Thanks, I figured out it was a default setting in the config file requiring a username with no password, I just updated it so nothing is required.
Trekker182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #419
georgedabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
When you get a "disconnect" message, it means the connection between the client running on your TiVo and our server has been lost. Rebooting the unit restarts the client (among other things) and the connection is restablished.

I'm not seeing a lot of other posts right now with any reports of disconnect messages, so its unclear as to why only you would be getting them at this point. Hopefully, some others will post - but right now, there is a question of whether there may be other environmental factors at play here.

Can you post more details about your networking configuration, including the hardware and router you are using. Who is your ISP? Do you have outages? More details are better.

Anyone else who is seeing this, should be posting as well -- there are almost 100 testers now, so please post your experiences and feedback while you still have beta access!

Thx
i AM HAVING the same problems. Here are some details. I have a Hd 10-250 that I I I hacked with "the zipper." Everything went okay except for naming my server "set my server to." I wanted to update tivo wep plus to 2.0 and tried an update expirenent thad did not go well. Result, I get the "disconnected" message in the gotomydvr page. Before I tried the update everything worked fine. I hope this message helps the problem because I have trouble finding answers.

Ps thanks steelers fan for thumping those Seahawks

Thanks WCN
georgedabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #420
speckhals

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedabney
i AM HAVING the same problems. Here are some details. I have a Hd 10-250 that I I I hacked with "the zipper." Everything went okay except for naming my server "set my server to." I wanted to update tivo wep plus to 2.0 and tried an update expirenent thad did not go well. Result, I get the "disconnected" message in the gotomydvr page. Before I tried the update everything worked fine. I hope this message helps the problem because I have trouble finding answers.

Ps thanks steelers fan for thumping those Seahawks

Thanks WCN
I get the disconnect message all the time, and was told it was taking too long for the Tivo to download info. I was hoping to see some upgrades, but it seems to me that the project has been put on the back burner. Since it's a free program, I can't fault the originator if he doesn't want to do it any more.