Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #361
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady
The AV input and what looks like IR/Serial ports (ala Series2) is very interesting indeed. If the 3rd SATA port is for a DVD burner, then perhaps the AV input could be used to import content not only as regular TiVo content, but also to burn to disc. With the IR/Serial, one could control a regular STB, but I don't see why you would want to.
VOD/SDV?

There is definitely a lot more here than meets the eye. Lots to figure out. Very stimulating.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #362
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
Does the lack of Broadcom chips represent a major departure from TiVo being a Broadcom shop? How much software work went into making this move?
They are still using the same basic Broadcom MIPS CPU. Based on Broadcom's performance claims, the MIPS CPU in the TivoHD is about 7% faster than the one in the Series3, but aside from that they're virtually identical.

They'll "just" be using drivers for the new encoders and ATI tuners rather than drivers for the Broadcom encoders and Samsung tuners.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #363
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
Multi-Service Discount with a three year agreement. (I have a Series 2 TiVo with lifetime service).
Ah, ok, that makes more sense, I wouldn't qualify for a multi unit discount.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #364
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Now let's send Dave to Picture Taking of Review Unit Guts school.
I knew Mega would have it covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies!
If the unit was designed so long ago, why were there a 6 month gap in between when Tivo announced they were "working on it" to release?
TiVo told me they began designing this new model 14 months ago. I assume they didn't announce it because they didn't want to kill S3 sales. As it is, S3 sales have probably stalled in the last month with all the TiVo HD leaks. I don't know why anyone would buy an S3 going forward. Well, until TiVo starts offering some blow-out prices (speculation) to clear their inventory maybe before the holidays.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #365
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
Ah, ok, that makes more sense, I wouldn't qualify for a multi unit discount.
That's my fault for assuming that most people here already have a TiVo.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #366
audio

This may be an odd question.

This box does record analog and digital cable as well as analog and didgital OTA.

Given this, could the box function without CableCards, ie, with just basic cable and OTA?

Most of the HD programming I watch is OTA anyway. Given the problems with SDV, as long as it can function the same as my Series2, with the added bonus of OTA HD, this will be well worth the cost of upgrading.
audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #367
Arcady
Stargate Fan

My Series3 box worked great for weeks without cablecards, only recording basic cable and OTA. I don't see why the new box would behave any differently.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #368
chandler1818

So, when S3 dies (which is a pretty safe assumption based on what denny apparently said), my S3 will continue to receive all of the necessary upgrades because it is based on the same architecture as the new tivo hd? I would hate to eventually be shut out of any new features. . .
chandler1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #369
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler1818
So, when S3 dies (which is a pretty safe assumption based on what denny apparently said), my S3 will continue to receive all of the necessary upgrades because it is based on the same architecture as the new tivo hd? I would hate to eventually be shut out of any new features. . .
Certainly that is my view as well. Just because the S3 will probably no longer be sold after current inventory is depleted, it does not mean it is anywhere near end of life. Not by a longshot in my opinion.

I have two S3's, and yeah, I spent some coin. But for TiVo as a company, I'm thrilled about the new, less expensive unit. I'll be adding one of the new ones to my home.
20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #370
chandler1818

20TIl6, I hope that is not just wishful thinking on our part.
chandler1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #371
blips

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik
Multi-Service Discount with a three year agreement. (I have a Series 2 TiVo with lifetime service).
My dad has a Series 1 with lifetime. Would he qualify for the Multi-Service Discount?
blips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #372
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blips
My dad has a Series 1 with lifetime. Would he qualify for the Multi-Service Discount?
as long as the lifetime tivo has called in to Tivo once in the last 180 days.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #373
blips

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl
as long as the lifetime tivo has called in to Tivo once in the last 180 days.
Great! He is sold his house and is moving to a new one in August. He took it down in May. Hopefully it made successful calls up to that point.
blips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #374
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Do you have any actual evidence to back up that wild claim? If the unit was designed so long ago, why were there a 6 month gap in between when Tivo announced they were "working on it" to release?

If you're going to make outragous statements like this, you may want to supply some form of evidence.
My wild outrageous (outragous??) "claim / statement" was simply an opinion. But, I based it on my knowledge of how long it takes to redesign electronics, circuit board, put them through testing, have them certified (fcc, etc.) That takes more than a few months in any industry I've worked in, so why is it so wild and crazy to think that it's been in the works all along? The series 3 has only been out for 10 months, you think they just thought of this 6 months ago?

There have several comments from people that have said they heard first hand from TiVo that this was in development before the Series 3 shipped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #375
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
There have several comments from people that have said they heard first hand from TiVo that this was in development before the Series 3 shipped.
This doesn't seem unreasonable to me, in fact I would guess that their next release is in development know. The issue I think some had was your previous post made it sound like you believed this unit was ready last fall and TiVo held it back waiting for the current Series 3 to sell out. I find that highly unlikely.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #376
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler1818
20TIl6, I hope that is not just wishful thinking on our part.
I'm not worried at all.
20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #377
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio
Given this, could the box function without CableCards, ie, with just basic cable and OTA?
Yep, that's exactly how I tested it.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #378
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
I knew Mega would have it covered.

TiVo told me they began designing this new model 14 months ago. I assume they didn't announce it because they didn't want to kill S3 sales. As it is, S3 sales have probably stalled in the last month with all the TiVo HD leaks. I don't know why anyone would buy an S3 going forward. Well, until TiVo starts offering some blow-out prices (speculation) to clear their inventory maybe before the holidays.
nice write up dave adn Megazone.

I still think what everyone is missing here is TiVo's desire to make the two product lines on the same manufacturing line. analog market still has a lot of legs in it given the lack of any real competition in the analog market. However TiVo is not interested in keeping manufacting capability around the S2 line long term. So they design this motherboard and case so they can make either the Tivo HD or the S2 DT model from same basic parts. That is step 1 and means the DT changes in looks a little bit and we see the 540 version of the DT come to light. I think the leaked TCD653080 is about a model like that.

next may be the integration of parts from the two lines into one universal box? This one I am not so sure about. Why would I want to pay for IR blasters I would not use? why add to the cost of either box? The only change I can see Sat having in TiVo's strategy is if they do some deal with E* to settle the suit. Even at that I can not see E* opening up its box but instead working out dev deal on its existing hardware or some other integrated E* only box.

anyway glad to see TiVo thinking ahead with this box to future times. Nice work
Old 07-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #379
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Denny says they are working on not being resolution restricted. Sounds like another death match leading to a long wait to me.
no, that simply means that MRV/TTG will work ofr anything tha tis not recorded via an encrypted digital stream. so an open cable channel of HD or HD off the OTA is fair game and does not need any nod from cable labs. Denny went so far as to say anything without a broadcast flag which is interesting as well.

we know tivo told megazone directly that they are working on bringing MRV/TTG before the end of the year to the S3 and soon after to Tivo HD (most likely since they have to work to merge the Tivo HD code branch back in and get to one Os for the S3 and Tivo HD.

so any concerns about MRV/TTG is based on thinking about the old TiVo of years ago. Like you yourself said HDTiVo - this new box and its fast delivery time should have everyone saying hello to the new tiVo inc.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #380
Mike20878
Jake & Adam's dad

How does the cableCARD work? Would there be some kind of cable/cord hanging down the front of the box? Or does a cableCARD just give you permissions to view content that still comes over coax?
Mike20878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #381
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike20878
How does the cableCARD work? Would there be some kind of cable/cord hanging down the front of the box? Or does a cableCARD just give you permissions to view content that still comes over coax?
The latter. The Cablecard decrypts what comes over the coax.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #382
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
My wild outrageous (outragous??) "claim / statement" was simply an opinion. But, I based it on my knowledge of how long it takes to redesign electronics, circuit board, put them through testing, have them certified (fcc, etc.) That takes more than a few months in any industry I've worked in, so why is it so wild and crazy to think that it's been in the works all along? The series 3 has only been out for 10 months, you think they just thought of this 6 months ago?

Not at all. I'm not questioning the fact that Tivo didn't start working on this in January (thanks Dave for the 14 months, that puts us about 3-4 months before S3 shipped).

Saying that this was designed at the same time as the S3 is a whole different thing - not to mention completely wrong if Dave's information is correct, plus I'll bet some of the components used weren't available 2 years ago (which is when the S3 would have been designed). Presenting this as an "opinion" doesn't make it any less incorrect.

BTW, thanks for correcting my spelling mistake, I'm sure you've never made a spelling error ever.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #383
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Not at all. I'm not questioning the fact that Tivo didn't start working on this in January (thanks Dave for the 14 months, that puts us about 3-4 months before S3 shipped).

Saying that this was designed at the same time as the S3 is a whole different thing - not to mention completely wrong if Dave's information is correct, plus I'll bet some of the components used weren't available 2 years ago (which is when the S3 would have been designed). Presenting this as an "opinion" doesn't make it any less incorrect.
Forgive me, I meant to say "Planned" at the same time not designed. I agree, they designed the original Series 3 first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #384
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Forgive me, I meant to say "Planned" at the same time not designed. I agree, they designed the original Series 3 first.
OK, gotcha - that makes a lot more sense.

GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #385
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
Where are going with dropping any 'series' designation in the model name? Do they not expect an eventually replacement for the TiVo HD? The 'Series 2' moniker seemed to cover a fairly broad range of models, but they don't want the new unit considered as a series 3.
Branding. The unit is still a Series3 - even has the logo on the lower front panel. But 'TiVo HD' is definitely a catchier brand for marketing. It tells you right in the name what it is - TiVo in HD. 'Series3' doesn't do that - only people who already know TiVo nomenclature know S3 means HD.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #386
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereis
The Philip 7138's are not MPEG encoders, just analog to digital converters (encoders) for both the video and audio:http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/...7/75015903.pdf
Interesting thing to note is that they can accept 480p progressive component inputs (not that the new box has them).
Aha - things are getting clearer now. I went nuts trying to find specs on that chip and I never could, just a general note on utilization for the family of chips.

So it does look like the ViXS is doing the analog encoding.

|
|
|
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #387
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
You mention the platform taking over the S2, but with the cost of the design, I wonder if that's possible, or how it could be made to be so.
Time and economies of scale.

Component prices *always* drop with time. So they may not replace the S2DT this year, maybe early next year. But at some point the cost of the components will decline enough to make it worth while to garner the cost savings of eliminating the older design.

On top of that you get economies of scale. Building 100 each of two designs generally costs more than building 200 of one design. You can buy larger quantities of components and get better discounts. You get more efficiencies from the production lines.

|
|
|
Old 07-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #388
aaronwt
HD Addict

So any word on Lifetime transfers?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #389
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
So any word on Lifetime transfers?
TiVo says they have no plans for lifetime transfers to the TiVo HD at this time.

|
|
|
Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 PM   #390
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
TiVo says they have no plans for lifetime transfers to the TiVo HD at this time.
I guess I'll need to get one sometime later this year. Hopefully by then I'll be able to do a lifetime transfer.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote