TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
mchiles

CNET New TiVo HD Review

CNET has posted a lengthy review of the new TiVO HD by John Falcone.

John Falcone also reviewed the Series 3 last year.

I am unable to post the URL
mchiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
twassel

Link is here
twassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Mongoos150

Thumbs down

Slow menu switches, "Please Wait" screen lag times... *sigh*
Mongoos150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
bown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150
Slow menu switches, "Please Wait" screen lag times... *sigh*
I saw that too in the review. I wonder if the tivo lites don't come preinstalled with 8.3 software. After I got the 8.3 software my S3 menus were at least as quick as my S2.
bown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

The TiVo HD units use a branched version of 8.1, so the menu enhancements that came with 8.3 aren't yet implemented for them. Once the two branches merge in the next release (probably this fall, maybe sooner) the TiVo HD menus will probably be just as fast as the S3s. They use a better processor, and have the same amount of RAM, as the S3 units so this shouldn't be like the 540 series of S2 units, which used crappier hardware then their predecessors in an attempt to cut costs.

Edit: according to bkdtv's assessment of Megazone's high res photos it appears the TiVo HD actually has twice as much RAM as the older S3.

Dan

Last edited by Dan203 : 07-24-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

And, really, in my use I don't see lags in most of the screens. Sure, re-ordering the Season Passes gives you Please Wait - always has, probably always will. But I have an S3, the TiVo HD, a Pioneer DVR-810H, and a Toshiba RS-TX20 in my house right now. The Toshiba is the slowest, hands way, way, way down. The S3 is the fastest. The TiVo HD seems to be on par, maybe a little faster, than the Pioneer. I think some screens are a tad faster, some maybe a tad slower. But quite acceptable - and definitely closer to the S3 than to the Toshiba.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
The TiVo HD units use a branched version of 8.1, so the menu enhancements that came with 8.3 aren't yet implemented for them. Once the two branches merge in the next release (probably this fall, maybe sooner) the TiVo HD menus will probably be just as fast as the S3s. They use a better processor, and have the same amount of RAM, as the S3 units so this shouldn't be like the 540 series of S2 units, which used crappier hardware then their predecessors in an attempt to cut costs.

Edit: according to bkdtv's assessment of Megazone's high res photos it appears the TiVo HD actually has twice as much RAM as the older S3.

Dan
Not sure which would be worse: 8.1 software that's slow, or 8.3 software that gives you pixelation and audio dropouts.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't have any pixelation or audio dropouts with either of my S3 units running 8.3, so that's not a problem for me. I do remember that certain aspects of the UI, especially searching by name and searching by time were excruciatingly slow in the original software and that drove me nuts.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote