TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
MickeS

Official TiVo HD thread

OK, I'm not a moderator, but how about we start a new official thread now that the TiVo HD is released?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
ldc3000

Tivo has it up on the front page.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
Mongoos150

Still deciding between TivoHD and refurb S3. Probably will go with the HD though (and am sure people will be upping the internal HDD in no time)
Mongoos150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
MickeS

http://www.tivo.com/whatistivo/tivo...ovr_PhotoToWhat

From TiVo's webpage: "Record movies in HD. When recording with TiVo HD, you have the option of capturing shows in standard or high definition."

Is that just a poorly worded sentence, or does the TiVo HD actually allow a HD->SD "down-rez"? This could be done to save space, but also get around the problem of TTG for HD material.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS

From TiVo's webpage: "Record movies in HD. When recording with TiVo HD, you have the option of capturing shows in standard or high definition."

Is that just a poorly worded sentence, or does the TiVo HD actually allow a HD->SD "down-rez"? This could be done to save space, but also get around the problem of TTG for HD material.
Steveris has some ifo in the other thread. It might.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Does it have a DOCSIS modem built in?
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
TexasGrillChef

Product Features:
Download thousands of movies directly to your TV**
Share home movies with your friends and family on their TV**
Get broadband videos, music and photos on your TV**
Schedule shows online**
Discover broadcast and broadband shows with universal Swivel Search**
Easily pre-approve what your kids watch with TiVo KidZone

**Multiple TiVo DVRs required. Each TiVo DVR requires own TiVo Service subscription.

Anyone Notice that? Is that MVR? TivoToGo? TivoBack?

Any comments?

TexasGrillChef

P.S.

It aslso says eSATA port will be available Late 2007.

I wonder if that means that the eSATA port on this unit is disabled, or that it is enabled like the S3, just not officially supported. Any Ideas?
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #8
ldc3000

I wonder when the retail stores will get the Tivo HD units.

edit:

Looks like Best Buy has it.

Last edited by ldc3000 : 07-24-2007 at 12:47 AM.
ldc3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:45 AM   #9
TexasGrillChef

When I read further....

Are TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing available on TiVo HD?

TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing are not currently available on the TiVo HD DVR. We expect that a version of TiVoToGo and Multi-Room Viewing features will be made available for the TiVo HD DVR in the future.

TexasGrillChef
Old 07-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #10
rjcrum

And Business Week has an article out already: TiVo Targets the Mainstream
rjcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 AM   #11
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS

That is correct it does, & so will our S3's when they do the update and add the TivoToGo &/or MRV features. That way you will be able to "Transfer" shows that are broadcast in HD although downsized.

TexasGrillchef
Old 07-24-2007, 01:09 AM   #12
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

So no reassuring comments about SDV anywhere?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
rjcrum

I've been thinking about this a LOT since I first ready about this new TiVo HD yesterday, and I think this is what I have been waiting for to get rid of (FINALLY!) my Comcast/Motorola 6412 DVR. My gripes about the Motorola:

1. Limited storage space (the TiVo HD starts out with about 5 hours more, which is not really THAT much more, but with the promise of "late 2007" for external storage. I'll bet Comcast and Motorola don't have an answer)

2. No way to get the shows "off the DVR" (well, nothing right now with the TiVO HD either, but the promise of MRV and TTG in the not-too-distant-future.)

3. The annoying remote lag (I can only hope that the TiVo HD has the same sort of remote performance as my two Series 2s)

4. The OK-but-it's-not-a-TiVo menus and UI on the Comcast/Motorola box (I know people complain all the time about the Comcast UI, and I find it to be "OK"...but it's not a TiVo. It would be nice to have the richness of the TiVo UI)

5. Waiting for the TiVO-for-Comcast/Motorola UI (I was initially excited, but as the year has worn on, Comcast really lost my interest. Why not a REAL TiVO, rather than what I hear is the dumbed-down Comcast/TiVo.

So, although I might not buy immediately (waiting for a lifetime transfer offer!), I think one of these will be in my house by fall. Maybe I'll wait until the external storage is supported and buy the whole shebang at once.

Thanks, TiVo. You have a REAL competitor for the Comcast HD DVR now!

Bob
rjcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:14 AM   #14
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
I think TiVo has a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy about SDV, at least towards the consumer...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 AM   #15
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrillChef
Product Features:
Download thousands of movies directly to your TV**
Share home movies with your friends and family on their TV**
Get broadband videos, music and photos on your TV**
Schedule shows online**
Discover broadcast and broadband shows with universal Swivel Search**
Easily pre-approve what your kids watch with TiVo KidZone

**Multiple TiVo DVRs required. Each TiVo DVR requires own TiVo Service subscription.

Anyone Notice that? Is that MVR? TivoToGo? TivoBack?

Any comments?
I noticed nothing about MRV/TTG was there. Maybe they added the ** later. (and of course the TiVo site is down right now - it wouldn't be TiVo otherwise. )

Anyway forget it, we've heard it all before. It ain't comin'.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:25 AM   #16
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
and of course the TiVo site is down right now(
No problems here.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:01 AM   #17
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcrum
I've been thinking about this a LOT since I first ready about this new TiVo HD yesterday, and I think this is what I have been waiting for to get rid of (FINALLY!) my Comcast/Motorola 6412 DVR. My gripes about the Motorola:

1. Limited storage space (the TiVo HD starts out with about 5 hours more, which is not really THAT much more, but with the promise of "late 2007" for external storage. I'll bet Comcast and Motorola don't have an answer)

2. No way to get the shows "off the DVR" (well, nothing right now with the TiVO HD either, but the promise of MRV and TTG in the not-too-distant-future.)

3. The annoying remote lag (I can only hope that the TiVo HD has the same sort of remote performance as my two Series 2s)

4. The OK-but-it's-not-a-TiVo menus and UI on the Comcast/Motorola box (I know people complain all the time about the Comcast UI, and I find it to be "OK"...but it's not a TiVo. It would be nice to have the richness of the TiVo UI)

5. Waiting for the TiVO-for-Comcast/Motorola UI (I was initially excited, but as the year has worn on, Comcast really lost my interest. Why not a REAL TiVO, rather than what I hear is the dumbed-down Comcast/TiVo.

So, although I might not buy immediately (waiting for a lifetime transfer offer!), I think one of these will be in my house by fall. Maybe I'll wait until the external storage is supported and buy the whole shebang at once.

Thanks, TiVo. You have a REAL competitor for the Comcast HD DVR now!

Bob
The eSATA from what I hear is in fact "Enabled" on this unit as it is "Enabled" on the S3. Just it won't be officially supported until they come out with their "BRANDED" Tivo eSATA drive.

TexasGrillChef
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 AM   #18
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Got it back... the spec page says
Quote:
**Broadband Internet connection required
http://www.tivo.com/whatistivo/tivoh...ons/index.html
Under the areas you quoted

and then I now find on the same page
Quote:
**Multiple TiVo DVRs required. Each TiVo DVR requires own TiVo Service subscription
Under the chart which has no ** in it.

No where is anything about transfers, MRV, TTG mentioned. Broadband video would be assumed to be from the internet.

Anyway its obviously confusing.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:24 AM   #19
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy
Nope. As always, purchase consumer electronics at your own risk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #20
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I asked TiVo about SDV while doing my review - specifically in relation to the comments Tom Rogers made before Congress - but they don't have anything more to add to his comments at this time.

I get the feeling some kind of solution is being worked on, but it can't be talked about yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #21
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:

I wonder if that means that the eSATA port on this unit is disabled, or that it is enabled like the S3, just not officially supported. Any Ideas?
This will be the deal maker for me. I have a big Appian drive and didn't want to pull apart my Series 3 (already internally upgraded) to make it work.

Will the same key sequence work with the TivoHD?
rudolpht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 AM   #22
Globular
No time to hack

Does anyone know if the Ethernet connection is gigabit? It doesn't say on the web site.

-Matt
Globular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #23
Marty1781

Please forgive the newbie question but I noticed on the feature list the Tivo HD says it supports M-cards. Does this simply mean we no longer need 2 cable cards or does it also means Tivo HD supports VOD from companies like Comcast, etc?
Marty1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #24
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
I asked TiVo about SDV while doing my review - I get the feeling some kind of solution is being worked on, but it can't be talked about yet.
I have the same feeling, though I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781
I noticed on the feature list the Tivo HD says it supports M-cards. Does this simply mean we no longer need 2 cable cards or does it also means Tivo HD supports VOD from companies like Comcast, etc?
The M-Card will allow you to dual-tune with just one card instead of two. M for Multistream. It doesn't support bidirectional services like VOD.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #25
b3ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781
Please forgive the newbie question but I noticed on the feature list the Tivo HD says it supports M-cards. Does this simply mean we no longer need 2 cable cards or does it also means Tivo HD supports VOD from companies like Comcast, etc?
No VOD/PPV. There was a post with the license terms from CableLabs that was around here about 6 - 8 months ago, but basically TiVo is not allowed to use 2-way hardware in these devices until the son-of-OCAP (i.e., "OpenCable") license/standard is ready. This really means that we are looking for a "Series 4" to have a direct connection upstream. I figure about a year...

TiVo Premiere XL
TivoHD - 750GB (98 HD hours) - thanks, Spike2k5 and WinMFS!
b3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #26
SnakeEyes

No PPV meaning you can't order using the box, right? You can order over the phone, yes?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #27
ChrisP21

I've been hanging on to my two Series 1 DirecTivos (DSR6000s) for a long time now, and I *was* waiting for the Comcast Tivo STB rollout to jump back to Comcast (I already/still use Comcast HSI for work). But the Tivo HD may make me jump sooner...

But I'm afraid that Comcast's support and installers, just as they've almost figured out how to handle dual single-stream CableCARD setup for the S3 boxes, are going to be thoroughly confused all over again now that we can get a single MCard for the Tivo HD boxes...

Anyone want to place a bet on how many new Tivo HD owners will get suckered by Comcast into paying extra for two CableCARDs per box? I may wait a little longer to see how that shakes out...

I'm also curious if the Ethernet is gigabit...
Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #28
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP21
But I'm afraid that Comcast's support and installers, just as they've almost figured out how to handle dual single-stream CableCARD setup for the S3 boxes, are going to be thoroughly confused all over again now that we can get a single MCard for the Tivo HD boxes...
Not all providers/regions may even be providing M-Cards yet. Which could add time/confusion to the learning curves of installers and phone agents. I didn't want to tempt fate and didn't even try to get one for my review unit, just went with OTA and analog cable.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #29
drew00001

Quote:
The eSATA from what I hear is in fact "Enabled" on this unit as it is "Enabled" on the S3. Just it won't be officially supported until they come out with their "BRANDED" Tivo eSATA drive.

TexasGrillChef
Acording to a Seattletimes.com article, the eSATA hack is not available on the TivoHD.

"The box has a fast eSata port but it won't work until TiVo provides a software upgrade. Creative Series 3 users have figured out a hack to add external drives, Denney noted, but the hack won't work on the TiVo HD."

The link is as follows.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...ex.html#017547
drew00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #30
mweiler

Shipping already?

I ordered mine this morning and I already have an email that it has been shipped w/ a UPS tracking number. Anybody else get this? Is this standard operating procedure for a preorder like this or is my box really on its way today?
mweiler is offline   Reply With Quote