TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #241
snathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
I'm a little upset, since I bought mine last month. But that's life when it comes to CE. You can't stop progress.
I bought mine last month, too (well, my second one), and it was only $399 after rebate, so no biggie.
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #242
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout
Sure, with a three year subscription it will be $598.
Actually I think it will be $598.99.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #243
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathanb
I bought mine last month, too (well, my second one), and it was only $399 after rebate, so no biggie.
You did good.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #244
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
You did good.
Where are you "good shoppers" finding those rebate deals??
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #245
phoenixZed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bown
the engadget article says that the OLED was axed for the Tivo lite. It also comes with the regular S2 remote.
Yeah you're right. When I got a chance to look at the larger image Megazone posted on his site, I could see that the blurry line of text I took for a show title is actually the word "Native", which instead refers to how the signal is output. My bad...
phoenixZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #246
doormat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket
Where are you "good shoppers" finding those rebate deals??
There was a $200 rebate last month that brought the price down to $400 or so.

That said, I wonder if the parts have come down in price since TiVo built the S3 box initially - now we see all these STBs from Netgear and Apple that include video playback functionality. So the bcm chips had to come down in price because the market is becoming competitive. And if you figure the box cost $500 this time last year, the parts are now probably 300, plus the cheaper case and such leads to a BOM cost of somewhere around 250. Plus 50 for the manufacturing and shipping, and TiVo is selling them for a bit of a loss, but they can probably move tons of these boxes now that HD is becoming more mainstream. Having them ready for Christmas 07 is a big deal, since we'll probably see $999 42" LCD HDTVs en masse this year.
doormat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:46 PM   #247
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01
I don't. My ex-wife got that.
well that explains why you can spend so freely on electronic gadgets now
Old 07-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #248
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
well that explains why you can spend so freely on electronic gadgets now
You got that right. It's surprising what descretionary funds you have available when you eliminate hair dressers, white wine, new draperies, and second green fees (I played 184 rounds of golf last year, she played 132).
Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #249
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
What would happen on the "service" end?
Don't know - I don't recall the terms of the initial marketing agreement. I presume the cable company would pay Tivo some monthly fee on behalf of the sub.

Everyone wins - customer gets a real Tivo experience without upfront cost; cable company makes money on the rental and part of the monthly service fee. I'd guess Tivo would get more than the $1+ they get for DTV, but don't know.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #250
petew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1
If the two were the same except for HD space, you'd think the part number would 2080 instead of 3080. So something else could be different.
Given that an 80Gb disk would only be 8hrs of HD, my guess would be a SD only digital box.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #251
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixZed
Yeah you're right. When I got a chance to look at the larger image Megazone posted on his site, I could see that the blurry line of text I took for a show title is actually the word "Native", which instead refers to how the signal is output. My bad...
Don't take the engadget post as gospel. You'll note that their source for that post is this thread.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #252
hybucket

The Series 3 is down to 599 now on Amazon.
hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #253
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket
The Series 3 is down to 599 now on Amazon.
It's been at that price in many places for a while. I bought it for that price at Amazon last month.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #254
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajad
It surprises me how many people are upset because a cheaper unit is coming out. This reminds me of the Parable of the Talents (I believe). Hey, if you thought the unit was worth what you paid for it, why bregrudge someone else getting a better deal. I bought the S3 last November and I have no regrets. I bought my PS3 2 months ago and now Sony is lowering the price. That's life. I'm happy to see the price go down so more people can enjoy these products (not that there is much to enjoy on the PS3 right now however! ).
You bought a PS3????

J/K

*hugs his HD DVD player*

In all seriousness, if the box doesn't have a functioning eSATA port how hard is it to upgrade the disc on one of these? (I've been building PCs for years).
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #255
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
(I've been building PCs for years).
In that case it may take you years to replace the HD. Otherwise, it may be as easy as most people find changing a PC's HD.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #256
jmpage2

Quote:
In that case it may take you years to replace the HD. Otherwise, it may be as easy as most people find changing a PC's HD.
Well if I took "years" to build hundreds of them it might be a different story, eh?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #257
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
It surprises me how many people are upset because a cheaper unit is coming out. This reminds me of the Parable of the Talents (I believe). Hey, if you thought the unit was worth what you paid for it, why bregrudge someone else getting a better deal. I bought the S3 last November and I have no regrets. I bought my PS3 2 months ago and now Sony is lowering the price. That's life. I'm happy to see the price go down so more people can enjoy these products (not that there is much to enjoy on the PS3 right now however! ).
I own more than one S3, and I am happy to see that TiVo is going to release a lower priced HD DVR with CC support. I hope it sells like hot cakes

Last edited by DCIFRTHS : 07-20-2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #258
snathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
I own more than one S3, and I am happy to see that TiVo is going to release a lower priced HD DVR with CC support. I hope it sells like hoy cakes
mmmmmm.... hoy cakes!
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #259
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathanb
mmmmmm.... hoy cakes!
You like them too?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #260
msrolla

They're even better with hoy sause.
msrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #261
Dajad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2
You bought a PS3????

J/K

*hugs his HD DVD player*

In all seriousness, if the box doesn't have a functioning eSATA port how hard is it to upgrade the disc on one of these? (I've been building PCs for years).
Yupp, but to be clear, I've had an Xbox 360 since launch and I've been loving it! I've spent more time playing PS2 games on my PS3 than anythign else. I've never owned any play station so I'm getting caught up on classic PS games - God of War, God of War 2, Ratchet & Clank, that sort of thing. I have a huge back library of fun to play on the PS3 until real PS3 content starts rolling out next year. Can't wait for Halo 3 on Sept 26!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- Get the gifts you REALLY want! (now in public beta) -

Dajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #262
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
I own more than one S3, and I am happy to see that TiVo is going to release a lower priced HD DVR with CC support. I hope it sells like hot cakes
I am happy that Tivo has a chance to survive and continue providing program listings to already purchased and operating equipment.

While I applaud Tivo for providing some S1 users a method of moving off of that platform, I can't see those who seem to think that Tivo owes them lifetime equipment transfers every time it releases a new product ( might feel different if I had lifetime service (actually I did at D* before I bailed), but I don't think so).
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:27 PM   #263
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about this. Personally I would just as soon take it for less $$ with no HD. Anything they ship is going to be useless to me.

On the other hand, from a market standpoint, doing less than 250 GB for the cheap-o-s3-lite makes me uncomfortable. (Edit: I'll dovetail this into my belief that TiVo is about to ship/price the right DVR for last year's market.)

It is absurd that the so-called premium S3 still ships with only a 250GB HD. Perhaps they have so many sitting in the warehouse that they are still selling off.

I'll guess less than 0%.

Which is also going to be my guess for lack of analog recording capability.
It's been a while since I've posted but I wanted to say HERE HERE! This is exactly the box that should have been released last year. And the reason the Premium still has a 250GB drive? They are not selling. If they were the lite version wouldn't even be on the drawing board.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:33 AM   #264
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I think the S3 was as or more successful than TiVo expected it to be. It was never intended to be a mass market product.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #265
gwsat

I love my S3 and am very glad that I have it. The fact remains, though, that, because of its high cost compared to cable company rental boxes, the S3 is a niche product. Who, other than the most devoted HT and TiVo enthusiasts would be willing to pay $600 (at least) for an S3 plus $10 or $15 a month for a TiVo subscription as opposed to $10 a month for a cable company rental box? Virtually nobody it seems to me.

I don’t know what TiVo’s sales projections were, of course, but if they were at all grand I think they were doomed to disappointment.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 AM   #266
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace
I wanted to say HERE HERE! This is exactly the box that should have been released last year.
I am a bit more positive on the initial price than I was in that first post. It is a bit lower than I was thinking for this time last year, so TiVo is advancing the ball part of the way.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #267
interactiveTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem
I think the S3 was as or more successful than TiVo expected it to be. It was never intended to be a mass market product.
Interesting. Maybe things have changed dramatically in a few months but in March, Tom Rogers, CEO, stated that S3 sales had been "disappointing."

A few months later, he dropped the hint about the S3 lite.

_ITV
interactiveTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #268
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

You're taking one word badly out of context to try and prove your point. Kablemodem hit the nail on the head, what was "dissapointing" for Rogers was that Tivo didn't see the low-cost HD explosion that took place last year and missed out. Looks to me like they are getting back in the gane for this year with a much better placed offering.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #269
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem
Well, Tivo needs a 'mass market product' to be economically viable for the next 5-10 years. I'm sure that the Comcast deal and deals with other cable providers will help their bottom line but what they really need is a box they can sell that will satisfy consumers and hook them on the Tivo service.

The new box just might do this but I still have serious concerns about SDV incompatibilities as well as the missing TTG and MRV.

The biggest differentiators that Tivo has over a sat/cable PVR are the Tivo "extras" like TTG and MRV. To many consumers everything else from a sat/cable DVR is "close enough" to a Tivo for them not to want to spend the extra $$ to make the leap.

Hopefully if they get the SDV thing figured out somehow and get TTG and MRV they can move a huge number of these Series 3 Lite boxes in Q3/Q4 of this year.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #270
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Quote:
Yupp, but to be clear, I've had an Xbox 360 since launch and I've been loving it! I've spent more time playing PS2 games on my PS3 than anythign else. I've never owned any play station so I'm getting caught up on classic PS games - God of War, God of War 2, Ratchet & Clank, that sort of thing. I have a huge back library of fun to play on the PS3 until real PS3 content starts rolling out next year. Can't wait for Halo 3 on Sept 26!
My favorite PS2 games (if you haven't tried them)

Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty

and my all-time favorite

Gran Turismo 4

When they release the next Gran Turismo on PS3, THAT'S when I buy a PS3.
20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote