TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #2851
bicker
Gruff

Always, always, always get a receipt when you return a STB to the cable company. Customers have an obligation to take reasonable steps to protect themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #2852
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos
When they insert both cards at the same time, they've done studies, you know. And 60 percent of the time, it works every time. (I couldn't resist).
You couldn't resist what? My installer had actually gone through many S3 CableCard installations (back in November), so my experience was not unique. Most of the installation problems are caused by bad cards and/or inexperienced people at the headend. If/when there is a problem, it is easier to debug when only one card is installed at a time.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #2853
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Always, always, always get a receipt when you return a STB to the cable company. Customers have an obligation to take reasonable steps to protect themselves.
I had the same situation. Contractor comes out, and fusses for a couple of hours trying to get the cards properly authorized, and in the process, they neglect to give me a receipt for the Comcast HD box which I asked for them to take away, and I neglected to ask for a receipt(MY bad). And sure enough, the HD box remained on my Comcast account. Fortunately, I was able to convince a CSR that their contractor had it, and it was removed from my account (why would I keep an HD set-top box when I was getting CableCards?). When a real Comcast tech came out recently to get the pairing working, I could see on the equipment list for my account that he had that it was correct. But I was really worried for a while about being on the hook for an $800 box.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #2854
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
You couldn't resist what?
Anchorman. Sex Panther (60% of the time, it works every time). It was a joke.

I would have to agree, though, it is easier to diagnose problems if they do one at a time.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #2855
Jedi4141

Comcast in Chicago just scored a flawless victory. We had a cable card install for yesterday between 1-5 pm. Tech showed up at 2:00 with 5 cards and installed the first 2 cards with no trouble and walked out the door just before 3:00. He had done a few S3 before and some single cable card installs and had some difficulties with each one. He mentioned it really depends on who he gets on the line for the authorization.

The install charges were $23.99 x 2 = $46. A little steep but he was on time, knowledgeable and was out within the hour. Let me say the Series 3 is worth every penny after dealing with the Comcast DVR for only 2 months. Thank goodness for the Father's Day rebate/Costco deal.
Jedi4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #2856
DocNo

Arrow

I took advantage of the Costco/Fathers Day Rebate deal. My S3 arrived two Friday's ago - and then I went out of town for a week. I'm still out of town for another week, but decided to go ahead and call up Comcast to schedule for when I will be back in town next week.

I was all set to call in Friday, then I saw an article in USA Today talking about the mandatory switch to Cable Card on Sunday - so I figured, what the heck - I'll wait to Monday and see what happens.

I'll tell you what happened - I got a deal (if it works as explained to me over the phone).

I signed up for Comcast Triple Play for $130 a month - includes digital cable (with HD), phone and Internet.

1st cable card is free.

2nd cable card is $3.50 a month.

Woot! The rep assured me HD is assigned to the cable cards - her exact words were "it looks like we treat cable cards as a we do our boxes now". Sweet!

So, Tuesday the 10th I'll find out if it really is true. If it is, that's a heck of a deal compared to some of the other rates I have seen mentioned in this thread (and what I was quoted previously - up to $18 per cable card per month).
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #2857
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo
... I got a deal (if it works as explained to me over the phone).
It is no doubt true but sometimes they don't emphasize the "fine print" part over the phone. The deal is usually for a certain term after which it reverts back to regular rates after you are hooked on all the goodies. A deal nevertheless. Comcast Internet has been trouble free for me.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #2858
bicker
Gruff

'cept I was quoted prices like that absent any package deal. Those are the regular prices for CableCards in these parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #2859
k2exoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2exoman
I finally purchased on S3 during the father's day promo via Amazon.

It arrived promptly.

Naturally, Comcast doesn't let you self install and couldn't schedule an appt. for several days.

1st attempt was Saturday, June 23rd. Comcast dispatch told the contractor (TBU Comm.) that customer (me) needed 2 cable CORDS, not CARDS.... Contractor shows up with two 6ft coax cables, despite the fact that the work order says cable CARDS and series 3 hi def tivo. WTF! Contractor has no cable CARDS with them and cannot come back until tomorrow.

2nd attempt was Sunday, June 24th. Contractor shows up with two cable cards. First one presents an MMI screen and he authorizes it over the phone... seems okay. 2nd card presents failure MMI message. "CableCARD 2 not functioning properly." Contractor only has two cards with him. We try it in slot one. No dice. He calls comcast and they authorize serial number with no host id... Still doesn't work. Contractor tells me to bring bad card to comcast tomorrow and leaves.

I call comcast monday.. they say to hang on to bad card until tech can come. They cannot give me a new card in person. A tech must install it. Okay, when is your next available appt?

3rd attempt will be Friday evening. Also have noticed 1st card not functioning properly. We are not recieving anything above local PBSHD station, which we pay for. Subsequent phone calls lead to new tech bring more cards on friday. Multiple hits did not resolve issue.

Heres hoping for success on friday night.

I am going to complain and see if I can get a month credit or something..

Bonus rant: Tech was actually impressed by home system setup and asked if i had been a cable installer. I have an S3, an Amp, DVD, flat screen and some speakers... a retarded monkey could have figured out the color coded connections. An installer marveling at your home theater does not exactly instill confidence as he starts to play with you $600 device.

Follow up on 3rd attempt. Tech is scheduled to show on Friday from 4-6pm. I take time off from work to be home. Tech never shows. Tech left a voicemail on girlfriends phone saying that since it was a 'same day' call (which is was not, however Comcast only notified him in the morning) that he was unable to pickup cablecards and would not be coming by.

Girlfriend wants to cancel cable. I called and immediately requested a supervisor and said we wanted a credit for the month for all the services we had not been receiving and new cable cards. Soonest possible visit date is Thursday. If this does not work out, we will probably switch to DirecTV or Dish...
k2exoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #2860
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
It is no doubt true but sometimes they don't emphasize the "fine print" part over the phone. The deal is usually for a certain term after which it reverts back to regular rates after you are hooked on all the goodies.
Well, I went ahead and signed up for two years - and I am guaranteed that price for two years. Hopefully at the end of two years, FIOS will be in my neighborhood and then I can see who has the better deal.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #2861
oldnacl

I spoke to a Comcast rep on Saturday when I lost CC service on my TiVo. We got into a conversation regarding the new FCC ruling and she indicated that there would be a new, additional "Service Fee" attached to CCs in the next billing or soon thereafter. She wouldn't give out any more information. I suspect it will be a bridge to bring the charge for CC equipped TVs and TiVos up to the level they were getting when we needed a STB to receive the programing we now get through the CC.
oldnacl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #2862
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2exoman
...Girlfriend wants to cancel cable. I called and immediately requested a supervisor and said we wanted a credit for the month for all the services we had not been receiving and new cable cards. Soonest possible visit date is Thursday. If this does not work out, we will probably switch to DirecTV or Dish...
Don't so that. Mine took 3 weeks, too. Just go with the flow. You might want to request an escalation to a Comcast tech, though. That is what finally worked for me. Contractors only get $4 for each cable card beyond the service call so will not troubleshoot.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #2863
smeggy

Happy to report a (relatively) problem free S3 cable card installation.

I thought I would be in trouble when the installer started looking at the back of my television for the cable card sockets, despite me saying "it's in the Tivo", twice, clearly. He hadn't installed a Tivo before.

Gave him the installer sheet, which he ignored and put both cards in at once.

He repeated the numbers across to the people on the phone wrongly, but they caught it quickly.

Everything is up and running, and I love it!
smeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #2864
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
I spoke to a Comcast rep on Saturday when I lost CC service on my TiVo. We got into a conversation regarding the new FCC ruling and she indicated that there would be a new, additional "Service Fee" attached to CCs in the next billing or soon thereafter. She wouldn't give out any more information. I suspect it will be a bridge to bring the charge for CC equipped TVs and TiVos up to the level they were getting when we needed a STB to receive the programing we now get through the CC.
As long as they charge the same "Service Fee" to their own CC-equiped boxes then someone can argue that it is fair (as in everyone is being penalized fairly).

If they pull the ole our additional outlet fee bundles in the service fee for the same price as before, but bare CC's need this additional service fee, then that is the same as saying they raised the price on bare CCs to make them a less competitive option.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #2865
oldnacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
As long as they charge the same "Service Fee" to their own CC-equiped boxes then someone can argue that it is fair (as in everyone is being penalized fairly).

If they pull the ole our additional outlet fee bundles in the service fee for the same price as before, but bare CC's need this additional service fee, then that is the same as saying they raised the price on bare CCs to make them a less competitive option.
I have a service tech coming tomorrow and I'll see if I can pry any info from him/her. My suspicion though, from the earlier conversation, is this is going to be a CC only "service charge" to bring it in line with what they are geting in monthly fees for the STBs. Let's hope I'm wrong, because if that's what they do, my S3 TiVo is going back to Costco (assuming I'm still in the return period) and I'll either eat the prepaid 3 year service contract or buy an analog TiVo and switch the service to it.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #2866
DocNo

Arrow

I just signed up for triple play today, and there was no discussion about any service charges for cable card mentioned. And I confirmed the monthly amount twice.

I'm also locked into my $129 + $3.50 a month for two years - not a bad deal since I'm reasonably sure it will take Verizon that long to offer me some true choice in my area.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #2867
marjl21

I just bought a series 3 and called comcast (Memphis) to setup a cable card install. The CSR tried to tell me that I would need their HD box to access all of the HD channels. She said I would only get some of them with the cable cards, although I could never get her to tell me exactly which channels. She kept saying something like "which ever channels broadcast a show in HD, that is the channels that you would get in HD." Duh! So is this just a ploy or do I really have to pay the extra $8 a month to rent their unit to get all of the HD channels?
marjl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #2868
bicker
Gruff

Figure that if a CSR isn't a field tech on disability, and doesn't have an HDTV at home, they may not actually know the technical details. While it would make sense for them to know about the services they're selling, there isn't quite enough money in being a CSR to foster such competence on a consistent basis.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #2869
oldnacl

Quote:
I got my comcast bill yesterday and the service fee mentioned above has gone into effect here in S FL. My rented hardware includes just the S3 cable cards and I formerly paid a total of $5.50 per month for them including a spurious "extra outlet fee". The new price structure, in addition to increasing my digital package monthly cost by $5.50 charges me $17.90 for the two cable cards - almost exactly what they charged before for 2 dual tuner DVR STBs. So essentially, they just removed any incentive for a customer to use a CC over a STB, at, I assume, a considerably higher profit to them (CC cost per unit vs STB cost per unit).
I'm checking the Costco return policy on my S3 and I guess I'll look for a dual tuner series 2 to apply the rest of my prepaid TiVo 3 year subscription.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #2870
sfhub

Quote:
I got my comcast bill yesterday and the service fee mentioned above has gone into effect here in S FL. My rented hardware includes just the S3 cable cards and I formerly paid a total of $5.50 per month for them including a spurious "extra outlet fee". The new price structure, in addition to increasing my digital package monthly cost by $5.50 charges me $17.90 for the two cable cards - almost exactly what they charged before for 2 dual tuner DVR STBs. So essentially, they just removed any incentive for a customer to use a CC over a STB, at, I assume, a considerably higher profit to them (CC cost per unit vs STB cost per unit).
I'm checking the Costco return policy on my S3 and I guess I'll look for a dual tuner series 2 to apply the rest of my prepaid TiVo 3 year subscription.
Could you give the specific breakdown of the charges? It might help others. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #2871
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comcast web site
There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use...If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3...), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $1.91 for the second CableCARD.
I am curious to see these fees are regulated by whom?

oldnacl, are you sure you're not talking about those HD cable cards?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #2872
bicker
Gruff

MSOs needs to provide reports of the fees they charge for CableCards to the FCC, and the FCC ensures that the average is within a certain range. Note that that means that MSOs are explicitly and deliberately granted the flexibility to vary rates from place to place.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #2873
Jedi4141

To drcos, I do not believe there is an "HD cable card" there are only cable cards and they are all able to produce HD channels.
Jedi4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #2874
oldnacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos
I am curious to see these fees are regulated by whom?

oldnacl, are you sure you're not talking about those HD cable cards?
I don't know anything about an "HD" cable card. These are the standard 1 way cards, receiving analog and digital, including HD, that I've been using in my Sony TV for a couple years and recently in the S3. This is the second Comcast price increase in the past few months, first, immediately after Comcast replaced Adelphia, cable service prices went up about 15 - 20% and now these increases, around 10% for the basic service plus the additional "service charge" never seen before, tacked on to the CCs, were the latest, effective July 1 2007.
Under Adelphia, it cost $5.00 extra for basic HD programming (ESPN, Discovery, HDNet, InHD1 & 2 and local HD stations). That separate charge went away when Comcast made the initial price increase, including a subset (removed InHD2 and HDNet from the offering) of the Adelphia provided HD channels with the digital packages. To be fair, Comcast added an HD golf channel and recently MoJo. Perhaps that's supposed to warrant the latest 10% increase in the subscription charge on my bill.
They break down the "service charge" to $6.95 per CC, plus the $2.00 CC rent, hence the TiVo is now costing me $17.90 per month (which, coincidentally, is the rate for renting 2 STBs, give or take a buck) plus, of course, the TiVo subscription.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #2875
tailspin1

San Francisco Bay Area

Just got off the phone with Comcast(their 800 number) and was told they now have a new HDTV set-top box, with 2 CableCard slots in the unit...

I'm going to my local Comcast office tomorrow to find out...
tailspin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:07 AM   #2876
drcos
HD where available

"HD" cable cards - I know there is no such thing (hence the ). When the first tech came out for my first S3, the girl he was talking to on the phone said he probably should have brought out "HD" cable cards, because the 'regular' cards would not get HD

You know 60% of the time, a cable card install works every time.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #2877
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspin1
San Francisco Bay Area

Just got off the phone with Comcast(their 800 number) and was told they now have a new HDTV set-top box, with 2 CableCard slots in the unit...

I'm going to my local Comcast office tomorrow to find out...
It is doubtful they have an HDTV set top box with 2 CableCARD slots. They went specifically with M-stream cards for the lower cost so why add a 2nd slot? The M-stream card can handle multiple streams already.

The units they have been testing are the Motorola DCH series. You can see on Motorola website all the models that ecompasses.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #2878
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

I'm late to this party - it's been a little over a year since we left DTV for Comcast and have been dealing with their sub-par DVR. Just this Tuesday, it cannibalized EVERYTHING we'd recorded. Imagine my surprise when I sat down to catch up on the last 4 episodes of Traveler and the DVR listing was blank and said "0% full."

Customer care said, "Yeah - I guess it's broken. You can bring it in and we'll replace it, or we can send a tech out to replace it (in a week) for $20."

So I pulled our other DVR out of the basement - I'd been thinking of giving it back anyway since we rarely use the basement home theater for TV watching - and put that one in the living room and returned the junkie one.

So last night, I was re-visiting TiVo as my wife and I were both saying how sad it was that we had to abandon such a good thing to get HD DVR capability (at a reasonable cost). But I guess in the last year or so, the Series 3 has become almost affordable if you pounce at just the right time.

When I returned the broken box today to Comcast (Northern Colorado), I asked the lady at the desk about CableCards. She said that each one would cost the same as having a digital/HD box. I think that's like $10/card / month based on what I can glean from the cryptic itemization on my most recent bill...

My HD/DVR is $12 and that would go back. But my bill is showing my ONE additional digital (non-HD) box is $10.

Based on what I'm seeing in this thread, this sounds WAY out of whack. But I'm sensing that there is no clearly stated pricing for CableCards. Has anyone gotten a definitive answer on this, or is it a case of every office for themselves?

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #2879
TostitoBandito

Quote:
I don't know anything about an "HD" cable card. These are the standard 1 way cards, receiving analog and digital, including HD, that I've been using in my Sony TV for a couple years and recently in the S3. This is the second Comcast price increase in the past few months, first, immediately after Comcast replaced Adelphia, cable service prices went up about 15 - 20% and now these increases, around 10% for the basic service plus the additional "service charge" never seen before, tacked on to the CCs, were the latest, effective July 1 2007.
Under Adelphia, it cost $5.00 extra for basic HD programming (ESPN, Discovery, HDNet, InHD1 & 2 and local HD stations). That separate charge went away when Comcast made the initial price increase, including a subset (removed InHD2 and HDNet from the offering) of the Adelphia provided HD channels with the digital packages. To be fair, Comcast added an HD golf channel and recently MoJo. Perhaps that's supposed to warrant the latest 10% increase in the subscription charge on my bill.
They break down the "service charge" to $6.95 per CC, plus the $2.00 CC rent, hence the TiVo is now costing me $17.90 per month (which, coincidentally, is the rate for renting 2 STBs, give or take a buck) plus, of course, the TiVo subscription.
You need to work your way up the comcast food chain because that is not only BS, but probably illegal. You are being charged extra outlet fees and whatnot for services which you do not receive. At maximum, you should pay a modest (like $2.00 max, or free in my case) fee per cablecard. No other outlet or HD fees unless you are using their hardware or actually are using more than one plug in the wall. If that fails, get in touch with the FCC.
TostitoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #2880
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

I'm running into the same nonsense as I am in the initial stages of researching making the switch from the Com-craptic DVR back to a Series 3. See my post on page 96 of the thread for the gory details.

This is SO frustrating! How hard is it to standardize the pricing? Why is it a crapshoot that depends on who you speak to and what kind of mood they're in?

ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote