TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #31
John T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Geek
Was wondering if anyone had come up with more on the problem
I've read lots of speculation about the root cause... but don't remember ever reading that anyone had a real answer

One of my units decided a few months ago to stop sending a video signal out the coax port to the Tv... which I fixed by using the 3-wire RCA connector and changing the input location on the Tv

Sometimes, electronic components just stop working

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
John T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #32
wolflord11
Lord of Darkness

I still believe the S Video Problem is a design flaw in the Dual Tuner.
TiVo Desktop on 4 XP Pro Computer Systems
wolflord11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #33
Beer Geek

Yeah, I just remember someone was going to check voltages at various places on the board and see if he could tell what was failing.

Thanks for the update!
Beer Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #34
DevilDogs
Steeler Fan

I had the same problem with pixelation on one tuner. I posted this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...postid=5263759

John T Smith pointed me to this thread. I tried removing the S-Video cable, and it worked! I'm curious to see how long it lasts, since it looks like Beer Geek has had it reappear.
DevilDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #35
cr33p

Hello everyone, I wanted to see if someone could shed some light on a problem I am experiencing, I have an HR10-250 with HD access, sometimes when I am watching an HD channel on tuner 1 my machine will tell me searching for signal on tuner 2, I tried swapping the lines on the rear of the box and it exhibits the same problem on now it says searching for signal on sat 1, this should confirm that it isnt the box right? This must be a wiring or sat problem correct? The weird thing is that it only happens when I am watching an HD channel, not on the SD channels
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #36
jangelj

My HDVR2 is still exhibiting the same problem. Pixellation on tuner 2 when s-video plugged in. Has anyone tried simply swapping out the power supply to see if that may be the problem?
John
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #37
txhawkeye

Here is another data point in problems experienced with tuner 2:

I, too, have been having picture breakup problems that I isolated to tuner 2, but I do not use s-video. However, I do use both composite video outputs. I found that my problems went away when I disconnected the cables from one of the outputs. So in my case, the problems have to do with driving both composite outputs.

My DirecTivo is an older Samsung unit. I had been using both video outputs for a long time before the problems began. Not sure why the problems began - power supply weakening over time? other?

I'm just thankful I found a way to get around the problems.
txhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #38
bparks

I'll add a data point too. We have three old DTivos that have been working well for years. The Hughes GXCEBOTD and DirecTV DVR R10 are behaving well, but the RCA DVR40 has been experiencing the Sat 2 input problem for several months. It had become increasingly annoying so today, after finding the posts on manipulating output cables, I did a little troubleshooting.

Both composite video outputs are connected. S-video is not being used. When either one of the composite video outputs is disconnected, the Sat 2 problem goes away. So, I will use only one output for now. If a fix turns up later in this forum, maybe I can restore full functionality.

This forum is awesome. It's helped me a number of times in the past. Thanks.
bparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #39
txhawkeye

I've learned a little more about my tuner 2 problem. I still have problems even with only 1 composite video connection, depending on the transponder tuner 2 is receiving from. I'm still checking, but so far I've found I get pretty significant problems for channels on transponders 8, 9, 16, 17, 24, 25, and 27. Channels on other transponders seem have little, if any, problems.

I should also point out that the problems become much worse on all transponders when I use the second composite video connection. When I use a single composite video connection, it does not matter which one I use - problems occur with the transponders in the above list.

Tuner 1 is clean as a whistle with either 1 or 2 composite video connections on all transponders.

So, all is not perfectly well with tuner 2 in my case - even when using a single composite video connection...

I'm curious whether any of you who've had problems with multiple video connections (s-video + composite video or 2 composite video) and corrected it by using only a single video connection still have problems when recieving from certain transponders?
txhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #40
bparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawkeye
... I'm curious whether any of you who've had problems with multiple video connections (s-video + composite video or 2 composite video) and corrected it by using only a single video connection still have problems when recieving from certain transponders?
Changing from two composite video outputs to one made a big difference for me. However, I found I still had some digital garble on some channels. The problems are with transponders 15, 23, 25, 27, and 32 (there may be more but I stopped checking after awhile). The signal strength on each looks fine. I found I could clean up the channel by switching to the other tuner, though I tried this in only a few cases so I don't know if this will always work.

Quote:
... I've found I get pretty significant problems for channels on transponders 8, 9, 16, 17, 24, 25, and 27
Transponders 8, 9, and 24 seemed to look clean on the channels I checked.
bparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:08 PM   #41
starbuck

Quote:
Here is another data point in problems experienced with tuner 2:

I, too, have been having picture breakup problems that I isolated to tuner 2, but I do not use s-video. However, I do use both composite video outputs. I found that my problems went away when I disconnected the cables from one of the outputs. So in my case, the problems have to do with driving both composite outputs.
I had similar problem that has been driving me crazy with my HDVR2. I had serious pixelization and frozen picture mostly on channel 245 (TNT). It was not watchable. Also had a little problem on channel 202 (CNN).

I swapped out cables trying to solve problem. I previously was using the S-video and 2-audio on the second set of connectors, and also using the composite audio/video on the first set of connectors. Nothing seemed to fix the problem.

After a few hours of frustration, I was going to replace a composite cable to see if it was bad. As soon as I unplugged the RCA video, the screen cleared up.

So now I'm using only the S-video and RCA audio on the second set of connectors and nothing on the first set of connectors. So far so good with picture quality. But I miss not being able to use the other connections going to input of my DVD recorder.
starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #42
msbrook2

Tuner 2 problem

Like so many of you I seem to be having the problem with Tuner 2. I disengaged the S video and it seems to have cleared up. I was just wondering if most of you are finding this a temporary fix. I read a few entries that indicated the problem came back again later...just wondering if I should go through the hassel of finding another box or if this will take care of it for the long haul.
msbrook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #43
jangelj

Well, here's how it is working for me. First, I was using the svideo and composite both. When the pixellation started, I thought it was the hard drive, so I upgraded that. It still pixellated. So i read the forums, unplugged my svideo and used both composite connections instead. It worked well for several weeks, then slowly started to pixellate again.
So I unplugged the 2nd composite connection and it has been working fine for awhile (at least 6 months). I keep meaning to replace the power supply, but I just haven't had the time (yeah, yeah, whatever).
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #44
o2manyfish
.....Damn Tivo

I wanted to add to this, as it's just strange and hopefully someone will have a solution.

I have had my HDVR since they were first available. It has sat on top of my TV mounted to the ceiling since the start. My connections have always been SVHS, SPDIF Audio (To Rcvr) and Analog Audio to the TV.

Other than changing a SPDIF cable -- Don't be shocked turns out you can't step on them to try to reach a little higher - All cables and configuration is the same.

My Sat 2 input started the macro blocking. First think I did was switch 1 and 2 - before going up on the roof -- Smart move.

Then when that didn't help I took it outside, popped the talk, and let compressor do the Wildthang all over the inside.

Back inside and the same issue.

I read these threads and didn't think they applied because certain channels are always perfect and certain channels were fading.

But Last weekend I unplugged my svhs and plugged in my composite -- And the problem went away in a couple of seconds. Back and forth a couple of times just confused the heck out of me.

I can leave the sVHS cable plugged into the HDVR2 but as soon as the other end connects to the tv - The audio drops and the pic goes away.

This situation makes little sense to me. And someone should be able to spot some silly little 17 cent resistor which has degraded... It just doesn't make sense.

Anyone with a hypothesis - Let me know -- I have a soldering Iron and I am not afraid to use it.

Dave B
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #45
msbrook2

one more wrinkle

When it rains...

Our second HDVR2 has just started having the same pixleation issue the firt one had. Interesting thing...we bought this receiver about 1 year after the first one and it was about a year ago our first receiver started having problems (we temporarily went to the R15 provided by Direct TV - bit mistke!!). So I'm beginning to think these units, like most other computer equipment have a limited life span.

Unique thing on this one is, it is not set up with dual reception, so the problem is occuring on Sat 1. I've unplugged the Svideo cable and plugged in the composite. We'll see if that takes care of the problem..at least until our contract with Direct TV is up!! Here's hoping...
msbrook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #46
waynenm

Pixelation

I haven't posted here in some time, but have recently been experiencing the same pixelation issues. Yanked the S cable per many others' suggestions, rebooted, and things
are definitely improved. Strange solution, but a solution nonetheless. Currently running the two RCA outs. If things go back to bad, I'll run one RCA out and split it. And, if that doesn't work, time for another HR20. I love Tivo. But HD beats SD, and cable's not my friend. Thanks to all who found a pixelation solution for these older HDVR2s.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #47
waynenm

And more pixelation...

So, I've now done what I said in my previous post. Using a simple Radio Shack a/v splitter.
So far, so good. No pixelation on tuner 2. Anyone else dealing with this?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #48
heltzer99

HDVR-2 Sat 2 pixelation with composite video

Long time reader, first time poster....

I'm having the pixelation problem on Sat2, but I'm only using one composite output. My hughes is about 5 years old, and it has been "upgraded". I've lost one HD in this unit, but other than that no problems. My second HDVR-2 is the same age, upgraded, and working perfect.

I've tried every combination of composite video and tuner selection. No, I don't have S-video on this TV to check to see if using just the s-video works. I will have to take it the other TV. I'm just surprised that I haven't read a post of anyone using just one composite output and having this problem.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of just buying an Ebay HDVR-2 and swapping the HD for a quick fix...
heltzer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #49
waynenm

Pixelation solution workaround..

Well, what I've been doing is working well.
Yank everything but one output, and split it.
You should see immediate results.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #50
jfischer

I'm having the same issues with the 2nd tuner on my HDVR2. I get fairly good results by removing the S-Video output, but still not 100% perfect. However, I was running both S-Video, L/R analog, and the full composite V/L/R before.

I decided to crack the unit open and measure voltages to the LNBs under load, and got these results when tuned to Transponder 24 on 119.

Tuner 1: 19.45 volts
Tuner 2: 19.26 volts

Even with the S-Video cable attached, the voltage did not drop on Tuner 2, nor did it appear to drop or spike. However, when I reattached the S-Video cable the signal on Tuner 2 (xponder 24, 119) started going from 85 to 0 and back again rapidly. At the same time, I could discern absolutely no fluctuation in the voltage to the LNB on Tuner 2.

I doubt the voltage signal requires much current, but that's something I can't measure quite as easily as voltage. In any event, there appears to be a strong correlation between the number of outputs connected and the performance of Tuner #2.
jfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #51
waynenm

Wow. That is really something.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #52
markbox
Ni!

Just in the last two weeks I've been having the SAT2 pixilation issue. Found this thread (thanks search function!) and unhooked the S-VHS connection on the back of the unit. The pixilation remained. I then unhooked the left/right audio connectors that were being used with the S-VHS connection and the pixilation went away.

However, after 20 minutes of no pixilation I hooked the l/r audio connections back up and no pixilation. I then hooked up the S-VHS connection by itself (unhooking the l/r audio) and the pixilation returned. Seems to be an internal electrical issue of some kind.

When connecting and disconnecting SAT2 I was annoyed by the close proximity of the S-VHS connector which made it harder to loosen/tighten the coax cable. I have not opened the box to check the circuit board visually but perhaps the fact these inputs are crammed together is part of the problem (aka a design problem). This is a Hughes SD-DVR40. Does everyone else have the SAT2 and S-VHS inputs crammed right next to each other?

Crazy situation but thanks to this great forum for a workable solution.
markbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #53
RARamaker

I'm having the exact same problem - pixelation on Sat 2. I was using S-Video and per this thread, switched to Component. Went from severe pixelation to moderate pixelation. Some pixelation also is occurring on Sat 1.

It's great to know that I'm not alone.

Russ
Old 09-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #54
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
I finally disconnected my HDVR2 as I was having pixellation problems (ranging from annoying to making the program unwatchable) on a composite-only connection. I replaced it with a spare SD-DVR80 I had lying around (fortunately!), but of course, I'm worried that it'll only be a matter of time before this unit starts experiencing the same symptoms, and by then I'll have run out of Series2 DirecTiVos.

I've got the DirecTV protection plan, so I could get them to replace the unit, but then I'd be stuck with an R15, and my 70+ Season Passes and WishLists wouldn't be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #55
ecotsonas

Hello,
I firmly believe that this is a software problem, (6.3e-01-2-151).

If you are having problems with your HDVR2 signal breaking up ONLY on satellite 2 and you are using an s-video cable try these steps to confirm:

1. Put it on channel 201.
2. Test your satellite signal strength. (You should be on transponder 23)
3. You should see satellite 1 signal stay constant and satellite 2 signal will drop down to "no signal"
4. Pull the s-video cable and use a composite cable. This time the satellite 2 signal will remain constant, (it won't drop).

Now for proof that it is a software problem.
1. My HDVR2 is running version 6.3e-01-2-151 (satellite 2 breaking up)
2. I borrowed a friends HDVR2
3. I plugged the borrowed HDVR2 into the same satellite lines
4. Re-married my original card to the new tivo box
5. Dialed out to get any updates
6. Repeated the steps above to test signal strength
7. No problems. Satellite 2 has a constant signal.
8. The software version of this tivo is 6.2a-01-2-351

Further proof that this is a software problem.
My parents also have an HDVR2 box where satellite 2 is breaking up. Their tivo software version is also 6.3e-01-2-351. I walked them through the confirmation steps to visually see that only satellite 2 signal is dropping off.

I hope that this helps all of you who have been extremely frustrated lately thinking that you have a bad tuner 2.

Erik

Last edited by ecotsonas : 09-26-2007 at 11:25 AM.
ecotsonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #56
Beer Geek

That'd be a sweet explanation- if my HDVR2 hadn't started pixellating on the 2nd tuner over a year ago, since 6.3 only showed up a few weeks ago.
Beer Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #57
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotsonas
Now for proof that it is a software problem.
That doesn't prove it's a software problem. That proves it's on one box running 6.3a and not on a different box running 6.2a. Since you tested different hardware, you can't be sure whether the test shows that the hardware is at fault or the software.

My HDVR2 was still running 6.2a when I deactivated it a couple of weeks ago and it had the pixelation problem. It was bad enough that I finally shut it off and replaced it with a DVR80 I had lying around.

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #58
ecotsonas

I wanted to post my findings about the particular software versions to see if others have the same problem on the same version, (or have found this same problem on another version). I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden all of these HDVR2's have started failing ONLY on tuner 2 all roughly around the same time. I still believe that there is a high probability that it is software related. Unfortunately just dialing out doesn't get the 6.3e version.
ecotsonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #59
markbox
Ni!

I've got a hardisk with 6.3e and another with 6.2a.
Both have the pixilation problem that goes away
if I unplug the S-VHS/L/R connection and go with
only the standard composite video/L/R connection.

However, my problem appeared shortly after the
release of 6.3e so perhaps the release of 6.3e
included a corresponding change to the guide data
or other info on the sat network that is also
causing the 6.2a software to have the same glitch.
markbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #60
notimefortv

Another HDRV2 with bad svideo

My Tivo started acting up when I got a message that the software had been updated. I have tried putting in a new hardrive (thanks instantcake) but the problem persisted. I was ready to give up, read this forum, removed my SVIDEO cable and no more problems!!!!! Obviously the new software does not work with SVIDEO. Direct TV support tried to get me to pay for a $70.00 service call, $20 for a refurbished unit and a 2 year service committment. I did not want to be roped into a commitment, as I am considering switchin to Dish HDTV. Thankyou forum!!
notimefortv is offline   Reply With Quote