TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #1531
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosohn
I just upgrade from a Toshiba SD-H400 to a TS-RX20. But I can't believe they actually dropped the damn "Power On/Off" button from the remote! This sucks, that means now everytime I want to put the unit to standby mode, I will have to go to the menu screen, then select the StandBy selection, then select it. I noticed they have the "TV Power" button. Is there a way for us to make that to become my "Tivo Power" button?
There is much less need for standby on the RS-TX20, as the RF coax out is always a passthrough of the cable input, no Tivo or DVD output there at all. I have to put my SD-H400 in standby to bypass it when recording a show so I can watch live TV. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the RS-TX20 and didn't need standby any more.

I use a Harmony 659 with the RS-TX20. hen I set up the remote, it knew that standby code from the Harmony database.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #1532
jazzdvr

RS-TX20 won't connect to tivo

My RS-TX20 won't connect to tivo. It dials, gets the tone, but doesn't connect. I have tried restarting, and unplugging and waiting with no results. Any suggestions?
jazzdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #1533
azitnay

Hmm... Perhaps a problem with the specific number you're dialing into? You could try selecting a new dial-in number, like so:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/TiVo...s_Content.html
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #1534
DerCormeister

RS-TX60 is "jittery"

I've had my RS-TX60 for 2 years. About a week ago, it started getting the jitters. That is to say, sometimes the whole screen sort of jitters vertically. It isn't specific to recorded video--it does it when viewing TiVo menus as well.

This appears to be a digital anomaly--not something that would ordinarily be caused by a bad connection in the analog cables between my boxes. Resetting the box has no effect.

Anyone have any idea what might be happening here?

I have a 4-year extended warranty from Mack (mackcam.com).
DerCormeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #1535
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Have you tried a different input source when you notice the jitter? Just to rule out that it's not an issue with your TV?

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #1536
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogger
By removing the cover and pulling out the DVD drive I was able to get at the eject hole.
All of this recent talk of enabling eSATA on the S3s revealed a list of kickstart codes (the new 62 one being the one used to enable eSATA). But in this post it mentions a "Tray open code 111 - will open tray."

I wonder if this is a kickstart code you could use to force open the tray on the DVD units during boot? It might have helped zogger with his problem instead of having to physically crack open the case. I might have to try this and see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #1537
DerCormeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
Have you tried a different input source when you notice the jitter? Just to rule out that it's not an issue with your TV?
Good idea, EvilMidniteBombr. I didn't suspect the TV because this is unlike anything I've seen a TV do before, but I suppose I do need to rule out the TV before sending in the TiVo for repair.
DerCormeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #1538
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerCormeister
Good idea, EvilMidniteBombr. I didn't suspect the TV because this is unlike anything I've seen a TV do before, but I suppose I do need to rule out the TV before sending in the TiVo for repair.
Just thought I'd ask before you went to all the trouble and headache of dealing with (any) customer support.

My RS-TX20 tends to stutter sometimes. If the image on the screen is fairly static, it's not very noticeable. But watching sports, a crawl at the bottom of the screen (like breaking news, etc.) or anything with a lot of motion, the stutter is really annoying. Mine just seems like a it skips frames or pauses/unpauses extremely fast. Usually it goes away after a while. Sometimes if I put it in standby mode for a few minutes it seems to make it better. That being said, I don't think it's the same as your problem. But you never know, it could be different symptoms of the same problem.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #1539
tivosohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos
There is much less need for standby on the RS-TX20, as the RF coax out is always a passthrough of the cable input, no Tivo or DVD output there at all. I have to put my SD-H400 in standby to bypass it when recording a show so I can watch live TV. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the RS-TX20 and didn't need standby any more.

I use a Harmony 659 with the RS-TX20. hen I set up the remote, it knew that standby code from the Harmony database.
Darn, now this passthrough feature is giving me a problem. My setup is I have the RF coax to send the signal of the Tivo/cable to my other TVs. Now with this passthrough feature, I can't watch Tivo recording from my other TVs. Is there anyway to set it to have the the Tivo to watch recorded shows through the RF coax?
tivosohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #1540
lafos

I didn't notice any way to do that in the manual. The only thing I could think of would be to attach an RF converter to the composite output of the Toshiba. Of course, if you do this, then you have to use the Tivo out. You could add an A/B switch to the RF, but we're really getting kludgey here.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #1541
1dreamz

My Dvd player wants nothing to do with me anymore...It won't open it won't light up ...

The Tivo works great in it...So I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can replace the dvd writer/recorder without scraping the whole system. Or if theres any know CPR for DVD player part of the RSTX 20!

Thanks a bunch!!

And for the person who can't connect to Tivo with their RS-tx20 for updates...I had this problem too. I called Tivo...and after being disconnected after entering that it was a Toshiba unit....I called backed and pretended that I didn't hear that question...and after a very long wait...got a live one!!! She found me a new number for my area...and woo hoo...no problems since!! I'd give them a call...for a new number! (It wasn't on the list of numbers to pick from on their site)
1dreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #1542
lafos

The Pioneer 112 works in the RS-TX20. I bought one at NewEgg a while back. You have to have patience to get it in and you need to remove the tray edge (it clips on).
Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #1543
tivosohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos
I didn't notice any way to do that in the manual. The only thing I could think of would be to attach an RF converter to the composite output of the Toshiba. Of course, if you do this, then you have to use the Tivo out. You could add an A/B switch to the RF, but we're really getting kludgey here.
I ended up spending about $18 getting this automatic switch RF Modulator from Walmart. What I do now is I have the RF out from my dish receiver directly plugged into this switch's Ant In, then the Tivo's RCA composite output into this Modulator as well. Now I got the same affect as the SD-H400. It will automatically switch over to the composite when I turn the Tivo on and back to the RF.
tivosohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #1544
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosohn
There's a discrete IR code for that feature? Can you please me the link to it? I do have a programmable remote which I can use my PC to program it.

Regarding the power button on the front. It's kinda sucks to crawl out of the blanket at night to put it in standby mode.
There's a discrete code, since Harmony remotes do it. I couldn't find the code specific to the Toshiba RS-TX, but most of the codes are TiVo codes (at least a TiVo peanut from my S2DT works to control my RS-TX20).

Try the codes on this link http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?PVR_0618
Old 06-14-2007, 11:49 PM   #1545
Natalia

Hi all, first time here - not sure if this was already talked about, but I've done quite a bit of online searching and then searching in the community forums. I'm looking for a remote code for my toshiba rs-tx tivo with my maxent tv. Any one have anything that could help?

Thanks!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #1546
windracer
joined the 10k club

Have you tried just doing a manual code search? See page 78 of the manual.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #1547
insanity8797

HELP! My RS TX-20 is stuck in an infinite reboot loop. This happened after I tried to back up a show to a disc. I tried the Pause, 5, 7 button sequence with no luck. The only thing I can conclude is that the drive is bad. I hope that I'm wrong and there is a way to get my Tivo back up and running. If not, is there any way to recover the shows that are on my current drive? Can anyone tell me what is the best route to take? (Which equipment to replace drive with and the procedure to install the drive.) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
insanity8797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #1548
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanity8797
HELP! My RS TX-20 is stuck in an infinite reboot loop. This happened after I tried to back up a show to a disc. I tried the Pause, 5, 7 button sequence with no luck. The only thing I can conclude is that the drive is bad. I hope that I'm wrong and there is a way to get my Tivo back up and running. If not, is there any way to recover the shows that are on my current drive? Can anyone tell me what is the best route to take? (Which equipment to replace drive with and the procedure to install the drive.) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Mine was stuck on the Welcome screen a while back. Nothing I tried would work. Even unplugging it for well over 12 hours. The best I would get was the welcome screen. After contacting Toshiba I was told to send it back to them for repair. Since it was still under warranty that's what I did. They wound up replacing the hard drive. This may be the case with your TX-20.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #1549
mchabura

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatefan20
And now Tivo is saying that it did not record my latest program because there was no video signal(?????). I just watched the program while it was running!
I bought an RS-TX20 on eBay a month or two ago and I've recently ran into some problems. Once the picture froze and I had to reboot the machine. All is well. Then a couple of weeks later, the signal went out, and the Tivo displayed the blue screen saying there was no signal to the Tivo and to try some things. I checked the signal to the other TVs in my house, but every one was fine. I rebooted the machine, and all is well again. Then recently, my Tivo has skipped some recordings, and according to the history, because there was no video signal (similar to what skatefan20 was describing).

Has anyone had a similar experience with the video trouble? Do I need to change the hard drive?
mchabura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:12 PM   #1550
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Still giving love to my Toshiba

The hard drive started failing on my TX-20 about a year ago. I cleared all prgrams and rebooted and it workled for about a month or two. Then it started freezing during recording. I rodered a new drive, but in the meantime I found a DT open box at BestBuy for a song and bought it. I really liked the DT, and we ahve let the Toshiba sit for about 4 months. I finally got around to installing the new drive and hooked it up to the TV in our bedroom where we had the DT (moved the DT to another room). Man, I really like the sharpness of the Toshiba models (I guess this is the difference between the Tvio compression and standard Mpeg2 in the Tosh). Even though it is only a single tuner, I am back to lovin' it.

Thought "club" members might be interested.....

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 PM   #1551
Pvgibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
Mine was stuck on the Welcome screen a while back. Nothing I tried would work. Even unplugging it for well over 12 hours. The best I would get was the welcome screen. After contacting Toshiba I was told to send it back to them for repair. Since it was still under warranty that's what I did. They wound up replacing the hard drive. This may be the case with your TX-20.
Same here -- after about two years these hard drives seem to die. I bought a preformatted Hard Drive and installed it myself (not really a tech type, but it was Very easy)

Now if they would only make a blu-ray PLAYER-TivoHD combo
Pvgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 PM   #1552
MartinB981

RS-TX 60 Rebooting & HD TV question

Funny...we had a similar problem tonight. We inserted a DVD and it caused the picture to freeze and then launched into an endless series of rebooting. Somehow, we got the DVD out of the machine and Tivo came back. Other DVDs worked fine so we figured the problem was the original DVD; after carefully washing the disc, it played fine and all is well.

I was relieved because it looked like the system was failing, due to a hard disc malfunction (which happened to my oriiginal Tivo) where your only option is replacing the machine. Except for an earlier problem and this latest incident, we love this Toshiba because it is so multifunctional and user-friendly. We burn DVDs all the time when we have to travel and they work beautifully. DVRs which have the recordable DVD function appear to be disappearing. We'd like to hold onto this machine for as long as possible before we make the jump to HD TV.

Which raises a question: does anyone have an HD-TV which they use with the RS-TX 60? How does the picture look?
MartinB981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:14 AM   #1553
azitnay

We still use our RS-TX20 as the DVD player (and only MRV option in the living room) for our 50" HD plasma in the living room, and it looks OK, but nowhere near as good as the Series3 on top of it (and I'm not particularly picky about picture quality, either). In my opinion, an HDTV without a Series3 is wholly worthless .

BTW, a hard drive malfunction isn't cause to replace a TiVo -- it's simply cause to replace the hard drive.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #1554
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinB981
Which raises a question: does anyone have an HD-TV which they use with the RS-TX 60? How does the picture look?
I have a Toshiba rear projection HDTV with my RS-TX20 connected to it using the S-Video. On High Quality the picture is good, provided there is not a lot of motion on the screen. (stuff like water ripples, pyrotechnics, snow storms, etc.) On Best Quality, those artifacts are much less noticeable. I don't worry much about it since I don't have a HD source to watch anyway.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #1555
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinB981
I use mine on a 32" LCD in the bedroom and upgraded the hard drive so I can watch everything on High Quality. Looks decent, but nothing to write home about.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #1556
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvgibbs
Same here -- after about two years these hard drives seem to die. I bought a preformatted Hard Drive and installed it myself (not really a tech type, but it was Very easy)
Same is happening here. Quite regularly we turn on the system and find the unit frozen on a frame of video. It does this not only when it is recording, but even when it is just buffering. I want to get a 500 or a 750 gigger from Weaknees, but I'm a little concerned that there could be something else wrong with it besides the drive. Guess it doesn't really matter, if it fails anyway I'll use the hard drive on my S3. Although I really hope it will still work since it is lifetimed.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #1557
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slharp
I have two Toshiba rs-tx20 machines. One works well the other freezes at least once per day. I replaced the HDD in the problem machine with one from WeaKnees. Still freezes at least once per day. Have to power it down and restart it every day. Any suggestions?
Did you ever solve the freezing problem in your Weaknees machine?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #1558
plangerock

Quote:
Mine is stuck on the welcome screen as described in other's notes. I have some questions about replacing the hard drive. Did that fix the problem? I've sent in this unit twice now for other issues. Where did you find this preformatted hard drive? Is there the same capacity? As I am the furthest thing from a "tech type" - is it dummy proof? Thanks!
plangerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #1559
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plangerock
Mine is stuck on the welcome screen as described in other's notes. I have some questions about replacing the hard drive. Did that fix the problem? I've sent in this unit twice now for other issues. Where did you find this preformatted hard drive? Is there the same capacity? As I am the furthest thing from a "tech type" - is it dummy proof? Thanks!
I had a problem like the one you mentioned. Luckily mine was still under the refurb warranty and I was able to get it replaced at no charge. My tx20 has been working fine (pretty much) since then. I have definitely not had the same problem again.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #1560
sledhed

Quote:
Is this the life span people are seeing out of their stock TX20 hard drives? If so I am approaching 2 years on our TiVo now...

I tried to swap a standard Seagate 500GB .10 model in but too much spin vibration (already posted for help on that one in another forum). Really don't want to loose everything we have on there, but also don't want to put up with the hum / spin vibrations so I went back to the stock drive for now. If it only has a couple months of life left I would like to deal with it ahead of time. Since it is unsub'd, TTG for transferring and backing up video is not an option.

Comment - seems to me kinda crappy for a $600 retail machine which is high end like Toshiba to basically die after a couple years. I know, I know, hard drives have a limited lifespan, but at work we have had servers running dual SCSI drives that ran continuously for 6 or 7 years without a problem. 24/7, backups and batches running at night, users during the day. I would question Toshiba's choice of using maxtor drives then.

Last edited by sledhed : 07-07-2007 at 07:24 PM.
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote