TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #61
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstone
http://www.mfslive.org/tivofaq.htm says:

"...
it does simple check in the MFS superblock and see if the internal drive is factory original.
If it is not, it will terminate the marriage process, reset the flag and goes on as if marriage never took place.
..."
That part of the FAQ is referring to using the kickstart code. In that case, if you have an upgraded internal drive, the kickstart code won't work, and the FAQ specifically says to use mfsadd (which AbMagFab correctly noted can be used with any internal drive, including the upgraded drive).

Last edited by TexasAg : 06-12-2007 at 11:42 AM.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #62
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
That part of the FAQ is referring to using the kickstart code. In that case, if you have an upgraded internal drive, the kickstart code won't work, and the FAQ specifically says to use mfsadd (which AbMagFab correctly noted can be used with any internal drive, including the upgraded drive).
My bad. I thought the thread had drifted to the point where somebody was saying that kickstart 62 would work on an upgraded drive. I reread the thread. I was wrong. I think the discussion about an 'original drive' that was 750GB and therefore not really the original drive led me off track.
vstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #63
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
http://www.mfslive.org/tivofaq.htm says:

"...
it does simple check in the MFS superblock and see if the internal drive is factory original.
If it is not, it will terminate the marriage process, reset the flag and goes on as if marriage never took place.
..."
Wow, talk about "out of context".

That text explains why the *kickstart* method doesn't work with an already upgraded internal drive.

MFSLIVE works with any internal drive, original or not, which is what the poster was basically asking, and what this entire thread is about. Your point just isn't applicable.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #64
vstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
Wow, talk about "out of context".

That text explains why the *kickstart* method doesn't work with an already upgraded internal drive.

MFSLIVE works with any internal drive, original or not, which is what the poster was basically asking, and what this entire thread is about. Your point just isn't applicable.
I guess admitting I was wrong and led myself off track wasn't enough for you.

Have a nice day.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #65
TexasAg

Quote:
I guess admitting I was wrong and led myself off track wasn't enough for you.

Have a nice day.
Methinks someone didn't read the posts on page 3 before responding to the post on page 2.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #66
vstone

Wink

Quote:
Methinks someone didn't read the posts on page 3 before responding to the post on page 2.
I considered that since I've done that myself, but I assume that he eventually finished reading the thread after he posted and had the opportunity to edit his message. I could be wrong (but it does no good to admit it! )
Old 06-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #67
jetjock34

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci
Just so I understand...

I have a Tivo S3 with a 750GB DB35 internal drive (and I want to preserve those recordings).

I bought an Antec MX-1 external eSata enclosure and I plan on buying another 750GB DB35 for it. So in the end I will have an internal 750GB and an external 750GB.

So all I have to do is connect the original internal S3 drive to a PC via SATA and make sure it is on /dev/sda and connect the other 750GB drive that is going to be in the external enclosure and make sure it is /dev/sdb, boot the MFSLive CD (my CD-ROM drive is connected to the IDE port on my PC) and just run this command

mfsadd -r 4 -ex /dev/sda /dev/sdb

Then when that is done all I will have to do is plug the internal Tivo S3 back in the Tivo, put the new 750GB drive in the enclosure and connect it to the Tivo S3 and turn everthing on and I will be good to go? And I will still have all the original recordings that were on my internal drive still?

Do I have that right?

Not being picky but I'm not experienced and just want to make sure it's an oversite versus correct before i try this.... should the line in MFSlive be

mfsadd -ex -r 4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

versus what is stated above?
jetjock34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #68
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock34
Not being picky but I'm not experienced and just want to make sure it's an oversite versus correct before i try this.... should the line in MFSlive be

versus what is stated above?
They are both the same thing. Main thing is to make sure you have the drive letters right. It doesn't matter what they are, just that they are the existing and additional drives.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #69
jetjock34

One last question for the incompetent...

The two drives, A (internal to tivo) and B(new, external) are to be connected to my computer how? The "old" Tivo internal drive (A) is removed from the Tivo and then connected to the computer via the esata bracket? Now, how is the new (B) drive connected?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #70
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
One last question for the incompetent...
Ahem...

Quote:
The two drives, A (internal to tivo) and B(new, external) are to be connected to my computer how? The "old" Tivo internal drive (A) is removed from the Tivo and then connected to the computer via the esata bracket? Now, how is the new (B) drive connected?
Your computer must either have built-in SATA capability on the motherboard (all new PCs) or if an older PC with the wide flat cables then you need to obtain a card for a PCI slot in the computer to provide the SATA interface. So, just remove any SATA cables to your PC's current drives (if present) since the PC's harddisks are not needed for the procedure and attach the SATA cables to the bare TiVo drives (you can lay them loose if you can get power to them). If your PC has an eSATA bracket as you mention it is usually connected to an internal SATA port. You could use that with the external drive if you wanted since you already have an eSATA cable.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #71
TexasAg

You don't actually need to remove the S3's internal drive to do this. You can take the cover of the S3 off and unplug the SATA cable connected to the internal hard drive. There is enough room to attach the internal hard drive to your computer's SATA cable (if you have a long enough SATA cable). I did, so this saved some time.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #72
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
You don't actually need to remove the S3's internal drive to do this. You can take the cover of the S3 off and unplug the SATA cable connected to the internal hard drive. There is enough room to attach the internal hard drive to your computer's SATA cable (if you have a long enough SATA cable). I did, so this saved some time.
You would also need a long enough power cable because TiVo has a combined power+data connector.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #73
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib
Ahem...
You could use that with the external drive if you wanted since you already have an eSATA cable.
You can Ahem me too

So you could go eSata from the motherboard to the external (no need to crack open an Appian) as 2nd Sata drive & just pop the top of the HD Tivo (unpowered of course) and connect that to the drive still in the unit?

Boot the ISO & execute command line.

Sounds like this Monkey can probably do it.
rudolpht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #74
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht
So you could go eSata from the motherboard to the external (no need to crack open an Appian) as 2nd Sata drive & just pop the top of the HD Tivo (unpowered of course) and connect that to the drive still in the unit?
Except the original poster mentioned he had an eSATA bracket on his PC which would mean you could directly connect the eSATA cable to the external port on the bracket and to your Appian enclosure. Going directly to the SATA port on the motherboard from the Appian is a different story because SATA and eSATA have different and incompatible connectors (although the signals are very similar). So, unless you have one of those eSATA brackets on your PC that transform the SATA connector on the motherboard to an external eSATA port or in the unlikely event you have an eSATA to SATA cable lying around then you will need to open the Appian, remove the bare drive and go SATA to SATA to the motherboard.

Last edited by jlib : 06-16-2007 at 01:31 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #75
rudolpht
HD Maven

Quote:
Except the original poster mentioned he had an eSATA bracket on his PC which would mean you could directly connect the eSATA cable to the external port on the bracket and to your Appian enclosure. Going directly to the SATA port on the motherboard from the Appian is a different story because SATA and eSATA have different and incompatible connectors (although the signals are very similar). So, unless you have one of those eSATA brackets on your PC that transform the SATA connector on the motherboard to an external eSATA port or in the unlikely event you have an eSATA to SATA cable lying around then you will need to open the Appian, remove the bare drive and go SATA to SATA to the motherboard.
Thanks for clarification, appreciated.

If only there was a USB key method to marry the drives w/o busting apart either enclosure, now that would be cool.
rudolpht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #76
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwehman
Worked for me...that's exactly what I did, and when I turned it back on, all recordings (from the original 750gb) were there and the S3 reported 198HD hours available. And the beauty is that the mfsadd operation takes all of about 1/3 of a second to execute.
Sweet! I got mine installed last night. Pretty easy. I put my new 750GB Seagate DB35 in the Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure and connected it to my PC via the USB port and then I opened my Tivo S3 and put it next to my PC and connected a SATA cable and power from my PC to the 750GB Seagate that is in my S3, disconnected any other SATA drives in my PC, booted the MFSLive CD, confirmed which drive was which device (the internal Tivo S3 drive was /dev/sda and the drive in the MX-1 enclosure was /dev/sdb and I ran the mfsadd command, it appeared to run successfully. I then connected everything back the way it was, connected the MX-1 to the Tivo S3 via eSATA, powered it on, powered on the Tivo S3 and then when it booted up confirmed that I now have 198 hours of HD recording! Saweeeeet!!

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #77
GooberMan

[quote=George Cifranci]confirmed which drive was which device QUOTE]
How did you do this part? What's the command?
GooberMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #78
GooberMan

I ordered an eSATA to eSATA cable but am planning to use my PC's internal SATA ports to do the MFSLIVE procedure. Will the eSATA cable work in a SATA port? (My PC has SATA ports but no SATA drives so I don't have a SATA cable.)
Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #79
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

[quote=GooberMan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Cifranci
confirmed which drive was which device QUOTE]
How did you do this part? What's the command?

I did this...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5233788

Here are the instructions on the MFSLive site...

http://mfslive.net/softwareguidep5.htm

I used Method 2 under Series 3.

The command is mfsadd -ex -r 4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb

Assuming your internal Tivo S3 drive is connected as /dev/sda and the external drive is connected as /dev/sdb (if they are not, change the device name appropriately.)

Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #80
jwehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberMan
I ordered an eSATA to eSATA cable but am planning to use my PC's internal SATA ports to do the MFSLIVE procedure. Will the eSATA cable work in a SATA port? (My PC has SATA ports but no SATA drives so I don't have a SATA cable.)
No, an E-Sata cable is keyed differently than an older std SATA port (more precisely, there is no key on the E-SATA, whereas there is a key, a little "elbow", on std SATA).

Rgds,

jwehman
jwehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #81
GooberMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwehman
No, an E-Sata cable is keyed differently than an older std SATA port (more precisely, there is no key on the E-SATA, whereas there is a key, a little "elbow", on std SATA).

Rgds,

jwehman
Okay, so I'll have to get a SATA cable for the internal Tivo drive. The eSATA enclosure I ordered also has USB so I can use USB to connect it to my PC. Since SATA and USB both use "sd," how will I tell which is "sda" and which is "sdb"?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #82
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberMan
Okay, so I'll have to get a SATA cable for the internal Tivo drive. The eSATA enclosure I ordered also has USB so I can use USB to connect it to my PC. Since SATA and USB both use "sd," how will I tell which is "sda" and which is "sdb"?
On my PC the drive I connected to the internal SATA port was named /dev/sda and the drive in the external enclosure (that I connected via USB) was /dev/sdb. I disconnected all other drives connected to my PC to avoid confusion. I then booted the MFSLive 1.2 CD.

You can also type the command pdisk -l /dev/sda and as I recall it came up with info that mentioned "Apple" (since Tivo uses an Apple partition map). I remembered that and so deduced that the drive connected to /dev/sda was indeed my internal Tivo S3 drive. The other drive (my new external drive which was blank and unformatted) was /dev/sdb. I then ran the

command which took just a moment. Then shutdown the computer and connected the internal Tivo S3 drive back up. Connected the eSata drive and powered it on. Then connected up and powered on the Tivo S3. After it boots up go into the System Information page and confirm how much recording time you have. I have two 750GB drives so I have 198 hours of HD (and 1878 hours SD as I recall).

Old 06-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #83
jetjock34

George.... you seem to have gotten this down pat so I ask that you clear upa couple of things for me.

My computer does not have a SATA port. I will buy a pci card that will provide an esata connection.

I connect the series 3 internal drive to computer throught this esata port. Leave the series 3 unplugged(?). Connect the new drive/enclosure to the computers usb port.
Put the bootable cd in the cdrom drive. turn on computer which should boot from the cdrom drive......and run the previously mentioned command?

Correct? Or is there something else or something incorrect?

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #84
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...My computer does not have a SATA port. I will buy a pci card that will provide an esata connection.

I connect the series 3 internal drive to computer throught this esata port...
Remember, though, that the bare internal drive has a regular SATA connection. If you wanted to connect it to the external eSATA port on the new card you would need an uncommon SATA to eSATA cable. Perhaps your card also comes with internal SATA connections (and hopefully an included SATA to SATA cable). In any case, you need a way to go from the SATA connection on the drive to the new card via a cable of some sort.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #85
HaloBox

Quote:
Remember, though, that the bare internal drive has a regular SATA connection. If you wanted to connect it to the external eSATA port on the new card you would need an uncommon SATA to eSATA cable. Perhaps your card also comes with internal SATA connections (and hopefully an included SATA to SATA cable). In any case, you need a way to go from the SATA connection on the drive to the new card via a cable of some sort.
I get my cables from http://www.satacables.com/ or monoprice.com. They have whatever you need.
HaloBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #86
jetjock34

Some of the PCI cards have one or more external esata ports and one or more internal SATA ports. I guess I will get one of those.

How about for power purposes? Does/do the ports provide power to the drive or do I need to figure out how to power them. (I'm assuming the new drive connected via usb will have a power cord which plugs into an outlet.... what about the one in the tivo.. do I power up the tivo or does the port provide power... or some other way?)

Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #87
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...How about for power purposes? Does/do the ports provide power to the drive or do I need to figure out how to power them...
That is another consideration. There is no power on the data cable. Some newer SATA drives have dropped the old 4 pin power connector we are all used to. Since your PC doesn't have SATA on the motherboard it is not likely to have SATA power connectors either but check to be sure. It may have a more modern power supply. If just the old style 4 pin connectors you will need to get a 4 pin to 15 pin SATA power adapter cable.

Also, if you buy a SATA card that says OEM in the description it usually does not include a SATA data cable. If it says retail box it usually will. Read the description carefully.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #88
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Is there any way to do this all externally?

I do not have a SATA-ready PC. Can any of this be handled with 2 external USB drives that will accept a SATA hard drive?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #89
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs
I do not have a SATA-ready PC. Can any of this be handled with 2 external USB drives that will accept a SATA hard drive?
Yes.

spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #90
jetjock34

Just plug both into a usb port, power them up, boot the computer with the aforementioned bootable cd, and run the command line??????