TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #2821
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos
So to re-iterate...I get my HD tier (local and ESPN, TNT, MOJO) and my premiums (HBO, Starz, etc. both SD and HD) and Encore E/W, but no non-premium digital channels (including the 'multiplex' Encore channels).

Seems that any digital channel with a CxCI of 0x00 I do NOT get, but those with 0x02 i DO get ....
If a particular CableCARD can get CCI=0x02 then it is paired correctly. The problem if you aren't getting all the correct channels then it is an authorization problem.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #2822
andydbrown50

Please don't hate me

But got the Comcast CableCards's installed today.

1. Guy showed up on time
2. He knew what he was doing
3. Once we actually hooked up the cable properly (a good 30 minutes spent trying to figure out why the activation wasn't coming through).
4. Once hooked up took 10 minutes and everything was all setup - working perfectly.

Whew.... Talked to the guy for a few minutes some interesting things came up. Installers hate CableCards and the future Comcast cable boxes may be coming with CableCards.

So I'm pretty excited and relieved....
andydbrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #2823
tils0008

Install took longer than expected, but everything is OK

Ok, I've had my series 3 since last fall doing over the air only as I felt like the cable companies needed some time to figure out the cable card thing. We recently moved into a new house and decided it was time to add cable cards. I thought I'd share my experiences here.

Called 888.comcast - rep insisted that the 2nd cable card would be $5.95 per month. I insisted that the 2nd cable card was supposed to cheaper, I even pointed him to Comcast's own FAQ about Tivo cable card prices but he wouldn't budge. I said no thanks and canceled the installation.

Called the Minneapolis/St. Paul local Comcast number. Mentioned I'd like to use my S3 w/ cablecards instead of their digital box. She says, "TS3 - that will be an extra $1.50 for the 2nd cable card." Schedule install for Sunday. Installation time comes - and then goes. Call comcast to ask where they are -I'm told that because I requested cablecards, the installation must be done by one of Comcast's senior techs and therefor has to be done M-F, not on weekends. Reschedule for Monday morning.

Comcast Senior tech shows up on time Monday morning with two Motorola cablecards. Both cards go in and seem to activate ok, but only getting "basic" cable channels on first card. He makes a call right to a Comcast engineer to help debug. Engineer looks into it, turns out the first card had been used in somebody's Sony TV last fall and it is still bound to that TV in Comcast's system. Engineer deletes old entry in their system, then sends card reset and reinit. Still no luck. Engineer notices that the first card Host ID is 007-xxx... and says this is a problem, since any host ID starting with 007- is for a Sony product. He says all Tivo Host IDs he's seen start with 016-. We try switching cards 1 and 2, the 007- host id follows the card, not the tivo slot. Engineer says its a bad card. Tech of course doesn't have any extra cards, said warehouse would only let him have two cards. Tech calls to bump his next installation to another person, then drives back to warehouse to pickup another Motorola card and returns to my house about 45 min later. This card works fine and now everything is a go.

Personally, I'm very impressed he drove about 35 miles round trip to get me another card and didn't make me wait for another appointment to get it.
tils0008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #2824
jhstn58

Reading all the horror installation stories around here, I was naturally a bit anxious about my install yesterday. In Nashville, we can walk up and pick up the cards, so I got three (just in case), and installed two of them last night. I made the call to Comcast and got an operator who SWORE she had activated cable cards for Tivos S3 before. She didn't ask me for any info other than the usual customer ID stuff, then said she was going to send a signal to "hit the box." She told me to check the picture, but I hadn't completed the guided installation process yet. She put me on hold to speak to another agent and by the time she came back on, not only was the guided installation finished, but I had all channels on both cards.

I realize it's not true of everyone, but I have had nothing but good fortune with Comcast here in Nashville.

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
jhstn58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #2825
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I hope this bodes well for the future. My system is actually working today! All my channels are coming in fine and no audio dropouts since two days ago. I am the eternal optimist and I HOPE this is a sign of better things to come from Comcast. God let's hope so... All I want to do is just relax and timeshift TV without constantly being aware of the fact that I've switched to Comcast...
Old 06-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #2826
drcos
HD where available

Comcast - SW FL (Sarasota) update...I am not sure if the information I was given was accurate, or a 'please stop calling' story, so I have removed it from this post.

I'm curious as to who else here on the Sarasota head end has the S3...if they're on the board or not??

Last edited by drcos : 06-22-2007 at 06:38 PM.
drcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #2827
BigDogues

Just got my S3 today...

Hi, I just got my S3 today but Comcast won't be here until next Wednesday to install the cable-cards. Can I go ahead and set it up and activate my Tivo service without causing any issues for when the installer finally comes? I know I won't get all my channels without the cards but some Tivo, even basic programming, is better than none, right?
BigDogues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #2828
hanig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstn58
Reading all the horror installation stories around here, I was naturally a bit anxious about my install yesterday. In Nashville, we can walk up and pick up the cards, so I got three (just in case), and installed two of them last night. I made the call to Comcast and got an operator who SWORE she had activated cable cards for Tivos S3 before. She didn't ask me for any info other than the usual customer ID stuff, then said she was going to send a signal to "hit the box." She told me to check the picture, but I hadn't completed the guided installation process yet. She put me on hold to speak to another agent and by the time she came back on, not only was the guided installation finished, but I had all channels on both cards.

I realize it's not true of everyone, but I have had nothing but good fortune with Comcast here in Nashville.
I'm in Nashville also and activated my cards yesterday as you described.It was the first time the comcast guy on the phone activated a TIVO.

Card 1 activated instantly,card 2 only activated analogs 1-99,so I tried a back up card and it activated all channels.Took 15 minutes for the whole process, .Only info he needed was card ID #'s.Problem now is they want to charge 6.95 for each card,seems like too much to me.
hanig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #2829
drcos
HD where available

OK, my previous post is full of misinformation from Comcast, apparently

Two techs came out this evening and did not know anything about this 'system' problem with the cards. After they were on the phone with the dispatcher, they found the problem with the 'digital plus' tier was that they had removed my SA box from the account, but not entirely. So they moved all the cards 'up' one outlet, re-hit them, and now I have all my channels back. (I believe someone else also had this problem of an 'empty outlet').

What they also told me was that the phone service folks which we mere mortals can communicate with can only reset the cards based on the serial numbers, while the dispatch (which the techs call) reset the cards based on the MAC address, which is also printed on the card (and displays on the diag screen). I was unable to get the phone number for dispatch, but if this happens again, I believe I will get the number somehow.

Here's what the SA CP screen looks like, now that everything is working:

Auth Status:CP Auth Received
Prog number: (varies)
CCI byte: 0x02 (also varies, but seems to be 02 for all scrambled channels)
ECM count: not zero
EMM count: not zero
Decryption status:OK
PowerKey status:Ready
EID: varies but should NOT be 0xfffffff
MKS period: 1000 seconds (varies?)
KSE count:1

Note that the ECM and EMM count will increase the longer you are on a scrambled channel, but the CP screen is static and does not change (refresh). To see the numbers change, hit CLEAR (to exit) and then go back into the screen.
EID - Entitlement identifier, apparently 0xffffff is an error or non-subscribed channel, or your card thinks you are not subscribed.

We should probably post this info somewhere else for those 'what does this screen look like when it works' questions.

Last edited by drcos : 06-23-2007 at 05:42 PM.
drcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 PM   #2830
tils0008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogues
Hi, I just got my S3 today but Comcast won't be here until next Wednesday to install the cable-cards. Can I go ahead and set it up and activate my Tivo service without causing any issues for when the installer finally comes? I know I won't get all my channels without the cards but some Tivo, even basic programming, is better than none, right?
You can set it up now without cablecards, but I'm fairly certain you will have to repeat the guided setup once the cards are installed to get all of your channels working.
tils0008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #2831
jpc112

Successful CabelCard Installation..Thanks to this Thread!

I used Motor_Head, Maynerd & Jlib installation bullet list found previously in the thread and had no real problems with installation.

Thank you.

The actual steps for me went something like this....

01. Activate Tivo
02. Run Guided Setup
03. Later that same day Comcast Tech arrives with Motorola cablecards .
04. He inserts CableCard 1.
05. Wait for MMI Screen
06. Write down info on MMI Screen
07. Comcast Tech calls Comcast Home Office with MMI info.
Wait for confirmation from CHO that cablecard has been activated.
08. While waiting for activation I got an error 161-4. I think it simply timed-out.
09. Went back to previous screen and waited for CHO to say it's activated.
10. CHO tells tech he activated the card.
11. Test all channels (including regular, HD, and Premium). SUCCESS CC!!!
12. Repeat Steps 04 thru 11 (including step 08).
13. Re-ran Guided Setup.

Everything works great. I followed many of the suggestions found in this thread, i.e.....

Have the tech bring out more than two cablecards. The first card didn't work.

Ask for the CableCards to be Motorola brand cards. Mine were.

"don't let the tech have the remote. he will just start hitting buttons". Yep my tech wanted the remote too. I handled all the Tivo functions for him.

This was my techs first Tivo/CC installation. He thanked me for getting him through it.

I hope this helps others.

Last edited by jpc112 : 06-24-2007 at 06:24 PM.
jpc112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #2832
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc112
Ask for the CableCards to be Motorola brand cards.
That's really not a choice; either a market uses Scientific Atlanta equipment or Motorola equipment (or some other brand equipment); cable systems aren't mix-n-match, at least within a single head-end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #2833
jpc112

CableCards

Ah. I never thought of that.
jpc112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #2834
ooryl2

I just got my first Comcast bill since getting my cable cards. They don't seem to be charging me a monthly fee for my second card. There is a one-time 1.50 fee for the card, but no monthly fee. Odd, but I'm not complaining
ooryl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 PM   #2835
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tils0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogues
You can set it up now without cablecards, but I'm fairly certain you will have to repeat the guided setup once the cards are installed to get all of your channels working.
That's what I did - it will act like a dual-tuner S2 until the CableCards are installed, after which you have to go through Guided Setup again (although this time it runs faster as it remembers the existing settings).

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:13 AM   #2836
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstn58
...In Nashville, we can walk up and pick up the cards, so I got three (just in case), and installed two of them last night. I made the call to Comcast and got an operator who SWORE she had activated cable cards for Tivos S3 before. She didn't ask me for any info other than the usual customer ID stuff, then said she was going to send a signal to "hit the box." She told me to check the picture, but I hadn't completed the guided installation process yet...
It is nice that Nashville is progressive enough to allow self-installs. It is odd they did not collect any pairing information at time of activation. In N. California they used to that and then realized they really wanted to have that information for encryption purposes and had to get it all after the fact. Not pretty.

In case anyone else is wondering you do not need to do the guided setup as part of the cable card install process. It is probably even a good way to really annoy a tech if one is there. You can check channels from the cable card install menu. Then do the tedious guided setup after everything checks out.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #2837
bbock727

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
I'd say an incompatible encryption method is getting used on the channels... something the Scientific Atlanta receivers can deal with but CableCARD devices can't.

I'll PM you the name and phone number of a person at Comcast who likely can help. I notice the same thing here, so I suppose I could call, but it's YES, so I really don't care. Better it be someone who cares who calls, plus it'll give you a contact for future use when this happens.
If you called we'd greatly appreciate it. The response I am getting from Comcast about the YESHD network is that its a problem w/ my TV and not their service. They believe that since they havnt gotten many calls about it, that its just isolated incidents.
bbock727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #2838
actionj

Cable Card Questions -Comcast Spanish Package

I am in Salt Lake City and just got an S3. The tech forgot to bring out the cablecards (of course) and so I stopped by the local office and picked them up. I got them setup and activated and all channels show up except I have the spanish language package as well mainly for ESPN Deportes and Gol TV. The Spanish language channels are in the guide and I get audio, but no video. Has anyone else run into this??
actionj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #2839
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
That's really not a choice; either a market uses Scientific Atlanta equipment or Motorola equipment (or some other brand equipment); cable systems aren't mix-n-match, at least within a single head-end.
I know the person you were responding to thought there was a choice regarding Motorola or SA, which there normally isn't, however...

Someone posted earlier that their area had Motorola-labeled cards and Comcast-labeled cards. Presumably they are both from Motorola but the Comcast ones are newer and might have updated firmware or might be M-cards. I'm guessing the Comcast ones are in preparation for the July cutoff. The unsubstantiated claim, from the installer who spoke to the person who posted, was that the Comcast cards don't work in S3s and to make sure to request the Motorola cards.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #2840
k2exoman

My S3 Comcast CableCard Horror story... Abq, NM

I finally purchased on S3 during the father's day promo via Amazon.

It arrived promptly.

Naturally, Comcast doesn't let you self install and couldn't schedule an appt. for several days.

1st attempt was Saturday, June 23rd. Comcast dispatch told the contractor (TBU Comm.) that customer (me) needed 2 cable CORDS, not CARDS.... Contractor shows up with two 6ft coax cables, despite the fact that the work order says cable CARDS and series 3 hi def tivo. WTF! Contractor has no cable CARDS with them and cannot come back until tomorrow.

2nd attempt was Sunday, June 24th. Contractor shows up with two cable cards. First one presents an MMI screen and he authorizes it over the phone... seems okay. 2nd card presents failure MMI message. "CableCARD 2 not functioning properly." Contractor only has two cards with him. We try it in slot one. No dice. He calls comcast and they authorize serial number with no host id... Still doesn't work. Contractor tells me to bring bad card to comcast tomorrow and leaves.

I call comcast monday.. they say to hang on to bad card until tech can come. They cannot give me a new card in person. A tech must install it. Okay, when is your next available appt?

3rd attempt will be Friday evening. Also have noticed 1st card not functioning properly. We are not recieving anything above local PBSHD station, which we pay for. Subsequent phone calls lead to new tech bring more cards on friday. Multiple hits did not resolve issue.

Heres hoping for success on friday night.

I am going to complain and see if I can get a month credit or something..

Bonus rant: Tech was actually impressed by home system setup and asked if i had been a cable installer. I have an S3, an Amp, DVD, flat screen and some speakers... a retarded monkey could have figured out the color coded connections. An installer marveling at your home theater does not exactly instill confidence as he starts to play with you $600 device.
k2exoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #2841
danfi

New Series 3

I too finally broke down and bought an S3 with the Fathers Day rebate promotion.

Mine arrived on Friday the 22nd and I picked up my cablecards from Comcast and was able to self install with minimal hassles. The first tech on the phone missed a few key steps but the second tech had a sheet that gave her explicit instructions on pairing the CC's with a Series 3. The first card activated easily for the second tech. It took two cards for slot 2 but by last night I had both tuners working wonderfully. Overall my Cablecard installation experience was pretty good and Comcast was very easy to work with.

Now that I bought it I can't believe I waited so long. The picture quality is amazing on the Series3.
danfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #2842
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really would encourage people to update their profile with their city and state of residence because there's some of us around who have contacts at certain cable companies who would be able to pass along that info privately when it's appropriate, but without knowing where someone experiencing trouble lives to determine if the person is within the service area that the contact is responsible for, that can't be done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #2843
Dan Murphy

I have my fingers crossed for tomorrow, two S3's getting Cable Cards from Comcast. With all I have read here, could make for an interesting day. I called today to confirm what was needed and what they were going into. North suburban Chicago here.
Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #2844
Scooterzp

I have Comcast coming to me in North Middletown NJ this Saturday for Cable Card installs on my Series 3. Wish me luck.
Scooterzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #2845
kmatsu

San Jose Comcast cablecard success!

I'm in San Jose, CA, and have Comcast cable.

After reading all of these messages, I wasn't sure what to expect when the Comcast cable guy (he was a contractor for Comcast) came to install my 2 cablecards for the Tivo Series 3.

Well, he came yesterday at 1:30 p.m. and was out by 1:40! The first card was activated without a hitch, and the second card took a second "hit" to get it going (it just took a while for the TiVo to recognize it). But it all went well; all my channels came in perfectly (I have no premium channels). I was very pleased! The cable guy seemed to know what he was doing. (I had my trusty 7-page TiVo Support cablecard instructions out, ready to use, but never had to refer to it at all.) He stuck both cards in at once, but had the cards activated one at a time.

As for costs...it was $16 for the service call, no charge for the 1st cablecard, $1.50/mo for the second card. I received a DCT-700 digital cable box (so I can continue to use OnDemand, which is included with my "Digital Preferred" cable service) for no charge per month. TiVo service, only $6.95/month (multi-service discount).

I'm a happy camper.
kmatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #2846
JTYoung1

If you live in Jacksonville, FL and have a Series 3 beware. I've been trying to get an additional outlet fee removed from my bill for a few months now. I had it resolved in December, but they added it back on in April when they contacted me to get my cable card information so they could do a "upgrade."

I was speaking to a supervisor on the "resolutions team" whatever that is today and I was informed that the additional outlet fee of $6.95 I am being charged is incorrect and I should be getting charged $15.95 for the second cable card and $1.50 for the first cable card on my account. I pointed out that their price list that was effective on 2/1/07 (the only one that I have received to date) and their website had information that stated differently. She kept saying that the information she was giving me was posted on their website but when I asked where she said she could not get to it and couldn't tell me where it was. At that point I became rather upset and became more insistent, without cussing or insulting her, that her information was incorrect since I had no copy of it and could not access it. (Cable franchise agreement stuff regarding pricing). At one point she said that I had new cable cards that were provided to Comcast by TiVo which they received in February, I told her that was impossible since I've had my cards since October of last year. Then I think she tried to say it was an upgrade but she never came out and said that and seemed like she was just trying to make something up to convince me that she was right. We argued back and forth for a while and I eventually just became frustrated and hung up on her.

So if you live in Jacksonville, FL watch your bill because you may be in for a nasty surprise. If you are considering a Series 3 in Jacksonville, don't get one yet. It is a great piece of equipment but Comcast will screw you and milk you for money every chance they get.
JTYoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #2847
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Just When You Think Everything Is Fine

My S3 with the two CableCARDs has been working fine since the second card was installed two weeks ago. Nothing to worry about, right?

Guess what? I had my Motorola HD-DVR box picked up by the techs who installed my first CableCARD (the second one they had was bad, and they had no others), but according to Comcast, I still have the box - and the $11.95/month charge that goes with it.
To make things worse, the techs that picked up my box didn't give me a copy of the work order, so I have nothing in print that says I wanted the box picked up. I suppose they could always try sending hits to the box to confirm that I no longer have it hooked up, but I don't want to have to pay however many hundreds of dollars it is for a "lost box" that isn't "lost."

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #2848
Dan Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy
I have my fingers crossed for tomorrow, two S3's getting Cable Cards from Comcast. With all I have read here, could make for an interesting day. I called today to confirm what was needed and what they were going into. North suburban Chicago here.
Seven hours yesterday. Two techs, one all day, one for about three hours. They had blue CC's and green CC's, none worked. They had red CC's, those worked. The three hour guy did not want to listen to the one card at a time instructions, his plan did not work.

Both are up and running, but it sure was a ling day.
Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #2849
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Murphy
The three hour guy did not want to listen to the one card at a time instructions, his plan did not work.
My installer inserted both cards at the same time, and both cards worked the first time.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #2850
drcos
HD where available

When they insert both cards at the same time, they've done studies, you know. And 60 percent of the time, it works every time. (I couldn't resist).