TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
MediaLivingRoom

Why not 10 gigabit Ethernet??

Let's just leap frog everyone and go with 10 gigabit Ethernet over copper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_giga...net#Connectors

10GBASE-T standard now approved
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.c...257551,00.html

Upgrade those homes to CAT7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_7_cable

Last edited by MediaLivingRoom : 06-26-2007 at 03:35 AM.
MediaLivingRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
bkdtv

Look for that in capability with Intel chipsets (used in Macs and PCs) next year.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
ScratchFury

I don't know of anything that could support a transfer rate that high except straight to memory. That is a max rate of about 1280MB/sec.
ScratchFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
TydalForce

I don't think the TiVo's hardware is capable of handling that much bandwidth. *Maybe* Gigabit for the S3... but I suspect it wouldn't fully take advantage of that.
TydalForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
acvthree

Also, the current chipsets run very hot. They would need significant cooling.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
ewilts
Who, me?

Most desktop PCs these days still have 100Mbps Ethernet adapters, and most home routers/firewall/switches are also 100Mbps. Some cable companies still rent broadband modems with only 10Mbps interfaces!

Personally, I'd be quite happy if everybody at least rolled out 1Gbps all around... Even my Dell PE400 server from 2004 had a Gig NIC in it but my brand new Dell E520 desktop only has 100Mbps. Gee, that may have saved Dell about a dime and will cost me $15 and a slot to fix (and my Linksys router doesn't have Gig ports on it anyway so I'd have to buy a separate Gig switch too).

.../Ed
ewilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
drew00001

I have two computers, a router, and NAS, which all have Gigabit ethernet. This setup is for my home office and works great for doing backups to the NAS and transferring large files. Of course, Gigabit has no effect on internet use . . . actually, the internet does not use the full functionality of 10mb or 100mb.

On the other hand, Gigabit would be great for TTG and MRV . . . if either was available. I was suprised that the S3 was released without Gigabit. As above with Dell, this probably saved $.10 per box.
drew00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Forget about copper. Think about steel.

Nethercomm claims it can deliver 6Gbps using gas pipes and do it for $500 per home (as opposed to $1000 per DSL home and $2000 per fiber home). Others are talking about sewer pipe delivery. Basically they are propagating a wave across a single conductor, conceptually like what you do with an antenna- possibly like a Goubou or E-line, but I'm not sure.

I read about this 2 years ago, but I keep hearing we are going to see this Real Soon Now.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchFury
I don't know of anything that could support a transfer rate that high except straight to memory. That is a max rate of about 1280MB/sec.
The point of 10 Gig Ethernet is not to allow two devices to talk at the maximum rated speed. It's to let 1000's of devices talk at the same time.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
restart88

In one of the links it said, "When combined with GG-45 or TERA connectors, CAT7 cable is rated for transmission frequencies of up to 600 MHz." It also said that Cat7 "can be terminated with RJ-45."

Do I assume correctly that the RJ-45 connectors would be less than 600 MHz? So what's the advantage of using Cat 7 over Cat 6 with those connectors?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator
The point of 10 Gig Ethernet is not to allow two devices to talk at the maximum rated speed. It's to let 1000's of devices talk at the same time.
You mean they're moving away from switched technology? Or do you just mean that it's meant for servers?
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
HaloBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TydalForce
I don't think the TiVo's hardware is capable of handling that much bandwidth. *Maybe* Gigabit for the S3... but I suspect it wouldn't fully take advantage of that.
My S3 only uses the ethernet port for getting guide data. A 10BaseT port is sufficient for that. If the S3 was streaming to one or more other TiVo units, computers or other devices, then a GigE port might come in handy but until then, it's overkill.
HaloBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #13
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman
You mean they're moving away from switched technology? Or do you just mean that it's meant for servers?
I just meant that most people don't use GigE as dedicated transport between just two computers. They use it to support lots of computers at the same time. It isn't overkill today even though few devices could individually max out GigE.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #14
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator
I just meant that most people don't use GigE as dedicated transport between just two computers. They use it to support lots of computers at the same time. It isn't overkill today even though few devices could individually max out GigE.
But given that in a switched environment you can support N gigabit streams between any two endpoints, where is the need for 10GbE except for switch-to-switch communications or a connection to a server? Also, most non-enterprise servers are hard pressed to max out a gigabit connection, much less take advantage of a 10GbE connection.

Just trying to understand...
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #15
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilts
Most desktop PCs these days still have 100Mbps Ethernet adapters, and most home routers/firewall/switches are also 100Mbps. Some cable companies still rent broadband modems with only 10Mbps interfaces!
.../Ed
Even laptops are now coming with 1Gb standard, and the last new motherboard I bought 2 years ago came with two 1Gb adapters onboard. It makes sense for cablemodems to only have 10Mb, since you're lucky to get over 1Mb of throughput anyway.

Gb is great if you move around alot of video or lossless audio files on your local network. Otherwise I'd say it's not going to be very useful for some time.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
TiivoDog
FIOS Fast!!!

As an early advocate of the S3, while it was in development and on display at the 2006 CES, I began questioning whether the port was in fact an RJ-45 and more importantly a Gigabit one per a post I made anonymously on another forum back in Jan-06 (Anonymous Post 1/5 @ 22:32) with a moderator, who was in contact with the Tivo Representative at the time:

http://www.tivolovers.com/2006/01/05.../#comment-1343

The ensuing response was the S3 would have required 'beefed up' hardware, such as system bus, CPU, chipset, etc.... At that point, I am assuming Tivo had a good idea of the unit's price point, given existing hardware specifications, and I am sure they just couldn't swallow pushing that amount up any higher.

Anyways, the upgraded RJ-45 port speed is a moot point with respect to Internet download speeds as it will be some time until reasonably priced connections will available beyond fast ethernet. However, when MRV/TTG is rolled out, it would have been real nice to take advantage of that functionality at 10x the speed on one's home network!!! I just hope when MRV is rolled out, there will not be any lag when watching a show that is being transferred from one S3 to S3 via hardwired fast ethernet, but the S3 to PC via TTG will be a bit of a drag.....

That's my 2 cents!!!

4 Series3

2 Series2

Sony Google TV

2 AppleTVs

Onkyo NR-1008

HP MSS EX475 (OS 3.0)

GigE LAN

FIOS TV (127 HD Channels)
FIOS Data (35/35 Mbps)

Last edited by TiivoDog : 09-07-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Update Link
TiivoDog is offline   Reply With Quote