TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
DevilDogs
Steeler Fan

HDVR2 with bad tuner

Hi all,

I have a problem and a question, so let me provide you with some background info. I've been experiencing pixelization on some channels on multiple receivers. I had DirecTV come out, and they replaced the dish, some connections, and the grounding block. The pixelization seemed to disappear, except for one tuner on the HDVR2. The guy wanted to set me up with a new DirecTV DVR+, but I decided to hold off.

I have one more test to do, but it really is looking like a bad tuner. If I go to ESPN2 on one tuner it looks fine, switch off the channel and put the other tuner on ESPN2, it's pixelated. The last test I want to try is switch the 2 cables coming in. We tried the cables hooked up to another receiver, and it seemed to be ok, but I want to do this last test to make sure. If the pixelization stays with the tuner, then I know it is a bad tuner. If it switches to the other tuner, then it is a bad cable (or connection).

Ok, now that I have the background info out of the way, here's my question. If I buy off eBay (or wherever) a unit w/o a hard drive (or with a bad hard drive), can I just put my drive into this unit? What about the access card, do I use mine, do I need a new one, do I need the one for the purchased unit? Any other pitfalls I might encounter?

I have upgraded my HDVR2 to 107 hours (120GB drive, still have the original drive on a shelf). I have a lot on there, and I don't want to lose it. But, I also don't want to have to get a new DVR+ and have to switch back to my HDVR2 when I want to watch something off of it. Any suggestions?
DevilDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
John T Smith

Read to see if these help
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=318681
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=333631

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
John T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
DevilDogs
Steeler Fan

Hmm, interesting, S-Video cable causes a problem. I believe my S-Video cable is plugged into my DVD recorder. I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
ljg

Just fixed my pixilation problem by disconnecting composite output, it was driving me niuts trying to trouble shoot the problem, this thread should be a sticky labled pixilation problem and work around.

Thanks to the forum
ljg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
DevilDogs
Steeler Fan

That seemed to fix it, but it appears there are some people that have the problem re-occur some time later. So a different HDVR2 might still be in my future.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I would never have thought to try that. I still need to figure out how to get the signal to my DVD recorder, but at least I wont risk missing the finales of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis tonight!

Still, if anyone has answers to my original questions, I'd be interested in hearing them. Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
spnewman

Same Problum on DVR 39

I had the same problum on my RCA DVR 39. I am still able to use one set of RCA jacks, but not the S-Video plug, or else I get the pixlization on tuner 2. Luckily I have that DVR hooked up to a TV that only has coax cable.
spnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
John T Smith

-answers to my original questions

I'll give it a try

-unit w/o a hard drive (or with a bad hard drive), can I just put my drive into this unit?

I **think** the saved programs are encoded to the particular box, so moving a drive will require new formatting, since anything saved is encoded to the serial number embedded in the motherboard

-What about the access card

That is called CSR roulette... one Customer Service Rep may say you have to buy a new card, another may activate just fine

But... there may be someone along with more information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogs
Hi all,

What about the access card, do I use mine, do I need a new one, do I need the one for the purchased unit? Any other pitfalls I might encounter?
If your unit does not have an RID, you may be able to transfer the access card yourself. For example, see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=354811
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
wscannell

The HDVR2 does not have a RID (receiver ID).
wscannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
DevilDogs
Steeler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Smith
-answers to my original questions

I'll give it a try

-unit w/o a hard drive (or with a bad hard drive), can I just put my drive into this unit?

I **think** the saved programs are encoded to the particular box, so moving a drive will require new formatting, since anything saved is encoded to the serial number embedded in the motherboard
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall hearing something like that. Crap. Well, here's to hoping the problem stays fixed!

Actually, I'm thinking about unplugging one set of composite instead, and plug the S-Video back in. With luck, that will fix the problem too. If not, I'll leave the S-Video unplugged, and use the composite instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Smith
-What about the access card

That is called CSR roulette... one Customer Service Rep may say you have to buy a new card, another may activate just fine

But... there may be someone along with more information
Yeah, I think wscannell and poppagene hit on it. Since the HDVR2 doesn't of an RID, I should be OK. I just hope I don't get to that point.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #11
John T Smith

3-4 months ago one of my 4 DTivos suddenly decided to stop sending a signal out the coax link to the TV

I switched to RCA cables and all is working well... but if/when there is another problem with this (or a different) box, I have a couple of brand new R10's in storage