TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Suggestions Problem - Group Empty?

I haven't seen a thread about this - please point me to one if it exists.

I have been having a problem with suggestions on both my S2 and S3 units. When I go in the suggestions and delete some shows, it will kick me out and say "this group is no longer needed." But there can be 20 or 50 or 100+ items left in the suggestions folder. Then I have to hit left, go back to suggestions, and go back in to continue looking at the list.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

That's a new one on me, but why are you bothering to delete suggestions at all? They're deleted automatically to make room for your recordings.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I delete suggestions that are things I will never watch, to try and make sure that older suggestions stick around longer. It's pretty easy to hit clear for ones I don't want and down-arrow for ones I want to keep -- as long as it stops kicking me out of the suggestions folder. I have found with my older units that if you delete a suggestion unwatched, it tends to stop recording that show. I'm still trying to train my S3 to record shows I like.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 06-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
ukerin

I have the suggestion on my tivo turned off.
ukerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

OK, I can see why you're doing that, I think. If it's happening on both your tivos, maybe it's a software bug. Have you tried slowing down your inputs? Maybe if there are too many programs waiting to be deleted it barfs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukerin
I have the suggestion on my tivo turned off.
And this helps the original poster... how?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
minckster

You don't have to exit the folder and re-enter it to see the recordings. Just wait on the erroneous "empty" message and it will eventually go away and the folder will fill in with its contents. This seems to happen to me most often when the TiVo is busy downloading and indexing program information from the TiVo service.
minckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:13 AM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I'll try doing it slower. It still seems like a bug.

And why would I turn suggestions off? That's one of the best TiVo features, once your box learns what you like. I always find something in there to watch.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 06-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #8
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZikZak
That's a new one on me, but why are you bothering to delete suggestions at all? They're deleted automatically to make room for your recordings.

Why do people continue to question others about how they choose to use their tivo rather than answer the question at hand? Your approval or understanding of the use is not necessary.

I've seen this sort of thing recently, too. On two different models (240 and 540) and both times I was deleting programs to empty out folders. I had 130 episodes of scrubs and deleted them all just yesterday. The first couple dozen went just fine, but after that I could only delete about 3 or 4 at a time w/o getting the empty folder message. I decided it was faster to deal with the message and navigate out and then back in. I don't even remember what I was deleting from the 240, but it was probably less than 30 recordings in a single folder and I only saw the empty folder message once in the process.

Last edited by mick66 : 06-17-2007 at 05:53 AM.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66
Why do people continue to question others about how they choose to use their tivo rather than answer the question at hand? Your approval or understanding of the use is not necessary.
Your approval or understanding of my method is not necessary.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
cheviot

I'm having this issue with a series 3 tivo as well. Hopefully they'll fix the bug in the next software update.
cheviot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #11
mvalpreda

This is still giving me fits. With a 500GB in my TiVoHD, it fills up the suggestions quickly. No news on this?
mvalpreda is offline   Reply With Quote