TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #2431
technojunkie

Rbautch, Thanks for the response. I found the thread and ended up with directions to comment out the following

route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Needs to be
#route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
#route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

The trouble is the 2 lines do no exist in my RC.Sysinit file. Though like I mentioned previously there is one for fakecall.tcl that I already commented out.

Perhaps I missed the directions you intended. Any help in getting me to the right page would be appreciated.
technojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #2432
rbautch
User

They're not in rc.sysinit, they're in rc.sysinit.author.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #2433
ARC

New problem using zipper

This on a HR10-250 that slicer ran but I failed to enter a correct router IP address.
after downloading the latest zipper and boot, making an iso copy CD, booting in my pc with the cdrom as hdc and the 6.3 HR10-250 drive as hdd, and running the zipper, I saw:

copying busybox
copying author file
copying hacks to tivo drive
cp: read error: Input/output error
copying hacked kernel to tivo device
vmlinux.px.gz 40.4% - - replaced with vmlinux.px
1+1 records in
1+1 records out
kernel copied successfully

I answered no to wireless, and responded wth 192.168.1.121 for my static IP, a router IP of 192.168.1.1
and answer Y to the question "Are they correct".
back to a prompt,
Powered off the PC and installed the drive (with jumper set to Master) into the TiVo.

I readily get telnet to work wth the 121 address, but it is as if there is no path after powering up/rebooting.

I try to follow the instructions:
cd /hacks
then
sh tweak.sh
and it does a carriage return to a new line, but nothing happens. I wait for 5 minutes, then hit Ctrl-C, get a bash prompt, and try ls . sae carriage return to a new line and nothing happens. no path?

so I cannot get tweak.sh to run. typing sh tweak.sh does nothing but a carriage return to a new line.

The Tivo is running ok and I can telnet in. Folders? yes. Faster menus? yes. TivoWebPlus, which was working ok, is toast. I have rebooted several times. Funny enough, issuing a RW command evokes a response "mounting read write, but no other unix commands respond - it is as if there is no path.

Trying a /enhancements/joe /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author command fails as well, with a message:
750gig-TiVo# /enhancements/joe /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
Couldn't open '/tivo-bin/etc/joerc'
Old 06-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #2434
technojunkie

Rbautch I meant the author file. Can you help?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #2435
ARC

Further symptomology on the inability to run tweak.sh

I issue a cd /hacks, and then a chmod, and get "some" results:
750gig-TiVo# chmod -c 755 *
mode of hacked_with_zipper_version_3.3 changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of mfs_network changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of rbautch_files.tgz changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of set_mrv_name_67.tcl changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.1.tcl changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.1.txt changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of tweak_uninstall.sh changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of usbmap_script.sh changed to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
750gig-TiVo#

it doesn't show tweak.sh , although I can see it using WS FTP Pro. Why would chmod not "see" the tweak file in the folder along with all the other files that it does see and manage to set to 755?

RW does result in a message: "mounting read write", RO also works. ls will not work, just goes to next line when I enter the command and waits forever. Ctrl-C gives me back a prompt.

WS FTP Pro shows there is an rbautch_files.tgz file of 3,316KB set so Tweak would/should find that if sh was functioning. ??
Old 06-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #2436
ARC

Out of curiosity and even though I can telnet in, I ran this:
750gig-TiVo# cd /enhancements
750gig-TiVo# tivosh net-status.tcl

The following IP parameters are now set in MFS:
IP address is currently set to: 192.168.1.121
Default gateway is currently set to: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask is currently set to: 255.255.255.0
DNS Server is currently set to: 4.2.2.2
DHCP is off
NO WIRELESS PARAMETERS ARE SET IN MFS

why is DNS server set to 4.2.2.2 and is this correct ?????
Old 06-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #2437
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

That is what is in the script.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #2438
ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttodd1
?
Old 06-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #2439
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

You asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
why is DNS server set to 4.2.2.2 and is this correct ?????

I answered:

Quote:
If you have another DNS server you'd like to use instead you can change it to that.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #2440
ARC

Quote:
You asked: I answered:

Old 06-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #2441
ARC

so even though the zipper process asks for my TiVo's IP address and the router's address, it chooses to set the DNS to something different from what I state as the router IP address.
Would that prevent tweak.sh from being able to see out of the home net, in t's first steps? I thought from reading other threads and instructions that as long as there is a particular file (rbautch_files.tgz) then tweak.sh doesn't need to see out of the local net.
What is preventing sh from running a chmod'd 755 tweak.sh ?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #2442
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
so even though the zipper process asks for my TiVo's IP address and the router's address, it chooses to set the DNS to something different from what I state as the router IP address.
Would that prevent tweak.sh from being able to see out of the home net, in t's first steps?
Nope that isn't a problem, 4.2.2.2 is (I think) a public DNS server. For some reason not all routers handle the forwarding of your ISP's DNS correctly. The only thing that affects is resolving "www.whatever.com" to an internet IP address so that it can be found on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
I thought from reading other threads and instructions that as long as there is a particular file (rbautch_files.tgz) then tweak.sh doesn't need to see out of the local net.
rbautch_files.tgz has to be in the /hacks directory for that to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
What is preventing sh from running a chmod'd 755 tweak.sh ?
Good question, although you should have had to do that in the first place. What happens if you:
Code:
joe tweak.sh

Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #2443
ARC

the rbautch file is indeed in the /hacks folder. joe is not found in the path - when I enter a joe tweak.sh it says
hash: joe : command not found

I asked a different question on a separate thread that is probably intertwined with the questions I have asked on this thread...not sure which thread is more to the point of zipper failing, since slicer failed first<G>....
Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #2444
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
the rbautch file is indeed in the /hacks folder. joe is not found in the path - when I enter a joe tweak.sh it says

I asked a different question on a separate thread that is probably intertwined with the questions I have asked on this thread...not sure which thread is more to the point of zipper failing, since slicer failed first<G>....
If you lost your path that means your author file probably got hosed. Since you have been having problems since trying to upgrade it could be a number of things. File didn't copy at all, got corrupted, (some cases got dos line ends) etc. I forget thge exact path to the author file, but you can find it in the same directory as the rc.sysinit file (not .author) if its not there thats at least part of the problem (I think there is a backup of the author there as well). Use vi to check to whats in it and that it doesn't have dos line ends. Instructions for vi is here .

Edit: author is located in /etc/rc.d/. the path in mine is
Code:
export PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox:/enhancements:/enhancements

Last edited by JWThiers : 06-11-2007 at 06:08 PM.
JWThiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #2445
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC

joe gets installed in the /enhancements directory which is in the PATH of any Zippered tivo. The /enhancements directory also gets added to your PATH when you run the enhancement script, so it's possible that rebooting your tivo with set the PATH properly for joe. You can find out what's in your current PATH by typing echo $PATH. Another possibility is that joe is not installed at all. Try running joe directly with /enhancements/joe . Remember if you want to view or edit your author file on a Zippered tivo, you can simply type author at bash.

or

Old 06-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #2446
rbautch
User

Version 5.5 Released

I just uploaded version 5.5 of the Enhancement Script. Special thanks to svkakkad for modifying backup_write_static.tcl to work with Tivowebplus 2.0, making automatic season pass backups possible again. Here are the rest of the changes:

- Add support for Tivos with code name Yukon.
- Add netconfig module to Tivowebplus.
- Added svkakkad mods to backup_write_static.tcl, which fixes automatic backups.
- Misc fixes to support SApper

Remember if you want to upgrade your installation, just run tweak.sh. It will uninstall your current version, then download and install the latest version of the script.

or

Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #2447
ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Remember if you want to upgrade your installation, just run tweak.sh. It will uninstall your current version, then download and install the latest version of the script.
I would LOVE to run tweak.sh . Unfortunately, at the bash prompt, in /hacks , mounted r/w , typing sh tweak.sh gives me a new line, but nothing else.
I have tried liberal use of the chmod 755, insuring I am in the /hacks subdir by typing cd /hacks ,
but since neither ls nor sh work, I can't figure out where to go from here.

If I use WS FTP PRO to look at the /hacks subdir , there is indeed the rbautch file present. I can issue a fakecall.tcl, after a few seconds I get a confirmation that it ran. I can issue "rw", and get a mounted read write. So some thing do work. Just not sh tweak.sh !! <argh> I can easily edit rc.sysinit.author on my laptop with textpad, save as unix, and then use WS FTP Pro to drop in into /etc/rc.d if necessary.

I would SURE love to get some hep on what to try to fix this conundrum. Could there be a firewall issue? I have edited (using textpad/save as "unix") the network.tcl file to replace 4.2.2.2 with 192.168.1.1 (my router's ip) in the mistaken hope that this was the problem with sh tweak.sh not running.

This is the other thread that I meant to link to earlier in this thread ... If anyone could take a look at the data I have posted and draw some conclusion of what I might next do? Re-run zipper? I haven't backed up the 750 gig drive in a week now, so I am hanging out a little - the backup drive still has just 3.1.5f on it with no 6.3d file, as well as missing some shows I'd rather not toss. The backup using dd took around 36 hours to run, so I'd like to not have to do that again.

Have some fun - throw some suggestions at me and see what works!!

Bottom line: if I pull my hard drive and put it into a PC as secondary slave to the CD's secondary master, boot on the cd with an ISo containing the latest (newly purchased) zipper, can I safely re-run zipper? Are there any edits I should make to installSw.itcl or rc.sysinit or rc.sysinit.author or network.tcl or any other file prior to doing this? And what are all those new files in the rc.d subdirectory that were not there prior to upgrading via slicer/zipper ? (I think slicer put them into the folder).

ALso, I note that there is a zipper.flag file in the root (or what mounts as the root, I guess) with a content of 1 in it. Is this part of the complications?

Ron
Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #2448
ARC

late addendum:
bash-2.02# echo $PATH
./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox
bash-2.02# cd /hacks
bash-2.02# ls

bash-2.02# sh tweak.sh

bash-2.02#
Old 06-12-2007, 06:09 AM   #2449
N.U.B

Hey guys i'm new here.. I'm a big fan and i'm hoping someone can help out
I'm @ the final stages of useing the tweak.sh command to finish the installation.. however i'm having problems connecting to the dvr anyone have any suggestions?
N.U.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #2450
technojunkie

Rbautch,

I just ran Tweak again which I assume downloaded your latest script. In reviewing your "author" file I noticed that it appears identical to the previous version that I had been running. That being the case, I was hoping for some help from you regarding the ability to use my modem to dial in. so far I Commented "#" out the last line which tells TiVo to run Fakecall. Now when it attempts to dial out it says the "Modem not responding". I know that the modem is functional as I've used it with my "virgin" drive that has already recieved the newest software. Previously you mentioned my checking another thread which tells to you to comment out 2 lines with ip addresses. As I've mentioned in the past they don't exist in the author file your script installs. Can you enlighten me on how I can temporarily regain the ability to dial in so that TiVo can provide me the latest software?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #2451
ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie
... Can you enlighten me on how I can temporarily regain the ability to dial in so that TiVo can provide me the latest software?...
I found that add63.tcl caused my HR10-250 to download the latest version - 6.3d - overnight. For this type of TiVo, the phone call only acts to set a "flag" on the device to tell it that it needs to accept the update file over the satellite - the phone call does NOT download the actual file (on the HR10-250). Some of the older types do require the upgrade to come down the phone line, but not the HR10-250.

How: I ftp'd the add63.tcl file over to the TiVo drive while it was running in the TiVo, put the file in (I think) /hacks , and then chmod'd it to 755, then executed it right before turning in for the night. Next morning, I had the upgrade file.

add63.tcl eliminates the need to make a phone call, in other words. Which is great, since I cannot force my machine to dial successfully, anyway. Never got beyond the "negotiating" phase....
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #2452
technojunkie

Actually I did run add63.tcl and have not received a download yet. I believe tha if it's not in the data stream then only way I can receive it via the phone call.

for what it's worth it did run and tell me that it should be there after the next download.

Checking MFS I do not see the slices.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #2453
ARC

sorry it didn't work for you - I know how frustrating that kind of thing is - what happens now when you issue the command:

echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh

??

After add63.tcl did it's thing, running this command, I got:

Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name Type FsId Date Time Size
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
3.1.5f-01-2-357 tyDb 850 03/14/05 17:41 700
6.3d-01-2-357 tyDb 1140495 06/03/07 07:39 772
ACTIVE tyDb 850 03/14/05 17:41 700

Incidentally, when you run the add63.tcl, you should see a confirmation message on the screen after it has successfully loaded into memory. It took about 5 - 10 seconds to appear on mine... And after running the add63.tcl, be sure to NOT reboot or down your TiVo...
I acquired my update file just a couple of days back so I suspect that they are "still in the stream", so to speak... you may have to just try on multiple days... ??
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #2454
technojunkie

I'm still running 6.3b. When all the issues with c started to show up I held off for 6.3d.

Anyway, when I check with echo mls it tells me I am running 6.3b. Good to hear it's still may be in the stream. I only ran add63 on Sunday so I suppose it's possible that it takes a few days. I did get the confirmation message so I know add63 ran OK.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #2455
ARC

I'd suggest running add63 each evening before bedtime just for the heckuvit....
I wonder if your machine does an auto-reboot at night that is killing off the add63 process?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #2456
ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
joe gets installed in the /enhancements directory which is in the PATH of any Zippered tivo. The /enhancements directory also gets added to your PATH when you run the enhancement script, so it's possible that rebooting your tivo with set the PATH properly for joe. You can find out what's in your current PATH by typing echo $PATH. Another possibility is that joe is not installed at all. Try running joe directly with /enhancements/joe . Remember if you want to view or edit your author file on a Zippered tivo, you can simply type author at bash.
Thanks for the tips. I have searched and failed to find resolution for the error that pops up during zippering:
cp: Read error: Input/output error
which happens when running zipper on my already hacked (well, it used to be hacked ) drive:

copying busybox
copying author file
copying hacks to tivo drive
cp: read error: Input/output error
copying hacked kernel to tivo device
vmlinux.px.gz 40.4% - - replaced with vmlinux.px
1+1 records in
1+1 records out
kernel copied successfully

I have tried running uninstal_tweak.sh, and it will run, and delete the /enhancements subdirectory and other, even though tweak.sh will NOT run. Totally stumped on what is failing during zipper....and why tweak won't run when uninstall_tweak will.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #2457
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC
I have tried running uninstal_tweak.sh, and it will run, and delete the /enhancements subdirectory and other, even though tweak.sh will NOT run. Totally stumped on what is failing during zipper....and why tweak won't run when uninstall_tweak will.
What exactly happens when you:
Code:
cd /hacks
sh tweak.sh
????
If you get a "file not found" error, a common reason is somehow the file got corrupted with dos line endings. the solution is to run dos2unix on it.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #2458
ARC

well, before I re-zippered and gave myself (or the drive, rather, some sort of fatal problem, typing
sh tweak.sh
would take the cursor to the next line, and it would sit there indefinitely, blinking but never doing anything else.

after re-running zipper, this is all that I am getting
Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #2459
technojunkie

ARC,

I finally received the download last night. Thanks for pointing towards add63.tcl. It seems to have done the trick.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #2460
ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie
ARC,I finally received the download last night. Thanks for pointing towards add63.tcl. It seems to have done the trick.
May the gawds of the electrons smile upon your efforts - they've been micturating on mine!