TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #2731
TwoCybers

OK - I don't have any premium channels such as HBO, ShowTime, etc. I have Digital Plus only -- As I read it then, the "Valid" vs. Contact Cable Provider message in the Pairing area is of no import to getting channels --

But is there any import with regard to keeping or not keeping the cable card "activated" to I can get the normal digital channels?

Next Question - Should a cable card be as stable in terms of activation as a Set Top Box? The card perform a similar function, but they may be a very different technology.

Gordon
Atlanta
TwoCybers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #2732
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCybers
OK - I don't have any premium channels such as HBO, ShowTime, etc. I have Digital Plus only -- As I read it then, the "Valid" vs. Contact Cable Provider message in the Pairing area is of no import to getting channels --

But is there any import with regard to keeping or not keeping the cable card "activated" to I can get the normal digital channels?

Next Question - Should a cable card be as stable in terms of activation as a Set Top Box? The card perform a similar function, but they may be a very different technology.
Yes, the CableCARDs need to remain Connected/EnabledByCP. I think you may have Scientific Atlanta cards as your terminology is slightly different than the Motorola screens.

If they aren't then you will most likely lose the encrypted channels (#2 above).

These things should be as stable as STBs. Mine certainly are. I think your cable system has some problem with their back-end management and there is some batch or intermittent process that runs and messes up the #s in the database.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #2733
TwoCybers

The cards in Atlanta that I have are Motarola cards - at least I do remember seening Motarola someplace in the Tivo settings.

Thanks for you help

Gordon
TwoCybers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #2734
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

So, my two new S3's are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and I have a Comcast appointment to install the 4 cablecards on Wednesday.

I currently subscribe to the high-speed internet service, but only the $15.59 basic cable TV service which is supposed to only give me the local analog and local HD channels. However, since I have the HSI service, I have always been able to get the complete analog set of channels 2-99 on my TVs and S2 TiVos. On my current Comcast DVR however (which will be returned once I get the cable cards installed) I only get what I am supposed to get (per Comcast).

When they set up my S3's with the cable cards, should I expect to also have those "extra" channels between 2-99 that I am not supposed to get to be blacked out (just like my Comcast HD DVR box) or is the S3 TiVo by any chance smart enough to allow them through even though cable cards are in there? I fear that I will be forced yet another expense of having to upgrade to Digital Classic cable thus tacking on another $50 to my monthly charges.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #2735
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974
So, my two new S3's are scheduled to arrive on Tuesday and I have a Comcast appointment to install the 4 cablecards on Wednesday.

I currently subscribe to the high-speed internet service, but only the $15.59 basic cable TV service which is supposed to only give me the local analog and local HD channels. However, since I have the HSI service, I have always been able to get the complete analog set of channels 2-99 on my TVs and S2 TiVos. On my current Comcast DVR however (which will be returned once I get the cable cards installed) I only get what I am supposed to get (per Comcast).

When they set up my S3's with the cable cards, should I expect to also have those "extra" channels between 2-99 that I am not supposed to get to be blacked out (just like my Comcast HD DVR box) or is the S3 TiVo by any chance smart enough to allow them through even though cable cards are in there? I fear that I will be forced yet another expense of having to upgrade to Digital Classic cable thus tacking on another $50 to my monthly charges.
If they're analog and only analog, you'll likely still get them. But if they're being digitally simulcast, you'll most likely not be able to get them since the CableCARD will enforce your programming tier on digital channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #2736
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
If they're analog and only analog, you'll likely still get them. But if they're being digitally simulcast, you'll most likely not be able to get them since the CableCARD will enforce your programming tier on digital channels.
I found when I got cable cards, all the analog channels were simulcast in digital. YMMV.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #2737
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
I found when I got cable cards, all the analog channels were simulcast in digital. YMMV.
I'll be glad when they do that here. We still have the analog channels only.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #2738
ScottW_CO

Boulder, CO area -

Ordered me up an S3 from Amazon the other day (Amazon discount + Father's Day rebate = 50% off! Schweet).

I currently have Comcast cable service, with their HD DVR box. Talking to the customer service chick, she's telling me I have to *keep* a set-top box hooked up to keep my service running. I explained the two cards I requested were going into a TiVo, and that I planned on returning the set-top box.

This is the first I've heard of this. Is this complete misinformation/BS or is there something to this?
ScottW_CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #2739
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW_CO
Talking to the customer service chick, she's telling me I have to *keep* a set-top box hooked up to keep my service running.

[...]

This is the first I've heard of this. Is this complete misinformation/BS [...] ?
Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #2740
bicker
Gruff

The Comcast tech I spoke to today indicated that they "program the CableCards for your head-end only after the service order is put in". First I've heard of that.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #2741
jefsta

error acquiring channels

Atlanta - I've had my series3 since January. I've just been using it with analog cable until I purchase a HDTV. Over the last few weeks comcast has been trying to get everyone to move to digital. So I agreed. They required I have a tech install the cable cards. He has no clue. He is an independent contractor for Comcast . We follow the TiVo directions. He calls Comcast and they say they have activated the cards but they still don't work. His management says the TiVo is not his problem and Comcast says the cards are active and that I need to program the channels on my TV! Comcast does not have a clue!!! So he leaves me with the Cablecards that don't work...

Here is what happens. TiVo sees the cards, no problem. I keep getting an error acquiring channels. The message says "The DVR is unable to acquire channel information from the CableCard.....' The first time it looked like it was acquiring the channels. it counted up to 385 channels loaded and then stopped. Since then, nothing. I have reset the box, done the guided setup, but it will not acquire the channels

Any suggestions?
jefsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #2742
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefsta
Atlanta - I've had my series3 since January. I've just been using it with analog cable until I purchase a HDTV. Over the last few weeks comcast has been trying to get everyone to move to digital. So I agreed. They required I have a tech install the cable cards. He has no clue. He is an independent contractor for Comcast . We follow the TiVo directions. He calls Comcast and they say they have activated the cards but they still don't work. His management says the TiVo is not his problem and Comcast says the cards are active and that I need to program the channels on my TV! Comcast does not have a clue!!! So he leaves me with the Cablecards that don't work...

Here is what happens. TiVo sees the cards, no problem. I keep getting an error acquiring channels. The message says "The DVR is unable to acquire channel information from the CableCard.....' The first time it looked like it was acquiring the channels. it counted up to 385 channels loaded and then stopped. Since then, nothing. I have reset the box, done the guided setup, but it will not acquire the channels

Any suggestions?
Has the tech checked the signal strength? If you have too many splits in the cable the cards won't get the info they need. Also, if you are using an old 900 mhz splitter, this blocks the digital signals, upgrade to a 1 ghz splitter. Lowes sells them at a reasonable cost.

Edited to fix typo. Thanks Aaronwt!

Last edited by Gregor : 06-06-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #2743
aaronwt
HD Addict

SInce when does COmcast digital go up to 2Ghz.? We only have an 875Mhz cable plant here that is brand new. Nothing here goes over 875Mhz. I use 1Ghz splitters on everything as does Comcast in my area.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #2744
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
SInce when does COmcast digital go up to 2Ghz.? We only have an 875Mhz cable plant here that is brand new. Nothing here goes over 875Mhz. I use 1Ghz splitters on everything as does Comcast in my area.
Whoops

Thanks for catching that typo, I fixed it.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #2745
jefsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Has the tech checked the signal strength? If you have too many splits in the cable the cards won't get the info they need. Also, if you are using an old 900 mhz splitter, this blocks the digital signals, upgrade to a 1 ghz splitter. Lowes sells them at a reasonable cost.

Edited to fix typo. Thanks Aaronwt!
How long have the 1Ghz splitters been out? This could be the problem. The splitter that is there is probably 3 years old. I'll check this tonight.
jefsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #2746
andyf0722

Anyone know a way to get in touch with Comcast provisioning center?

I got a replacement S3 Tivo for one that was having problems. Now I need my cablecards paired again. It should just be a matter of Comcast updating 2 numbers (Host and Data) for each of my cablecards. Everything else is the same since the cablecards were originally installed.

Customer service says they can't reach the provisioning center only the tech can do that, which would require a visit to my house and I am sure at least $15. Seems a waste of my time, the techs time, gas, and $15 dollars so the tech can come to my house, make a phone call, and give them the same info.

Anyone else had luck in this situation and care to share the secret?
andyf0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #2747
jkelle

Arrow Ugh - any help is appreciated

Ok - cannot get any of my VOD or premium or high channels with new S3 and 2 x Scientific Atlanta CC's. I have tried 4 times with Comcast to troubleshoot over the phone but now am going to burn a half a day of work on Friday (ok, so that's not too bad i guess....) to meet a tech at my place. But I'm damned if i can see what the problem is.

I go into the cablecard options and choose the CP Information option: both cards show authorized with the system and Comcast can see both cards. The host id's and card numbers are correct. Any suggestions what else in the diagnostics / CP info screen I might look at? (since the rest of the info in that CP screen means nothing to me...)?

Thanks,

Frustrated in Arlington, VA
jkelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM   #2748
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelle
Ok - cannot get any of my VOD or premium or high channels with new S3 and 2 x Scientific Atlanta CC's. I have tried 4 times with Comcast to troubleshoot over the phone but now am going to burn a half a day of work on Friday (ok, so that's not too bad i guess....) to meet a tech at my place. But I'm damned if i can see what the problem is.

I go into the cablecard options and choose the CP Information option: both cards show authorized with the system and Comcast can see both cards. The host id's and card numbers are correct. Any suggestions what else in the diagnostics / CP info screen I might look at? (since the rest of the info in that CP screen means nothing to me...)?

Thanks,

Frustrated in Arlington, VA
VOD doesn't work on Series3.

If you search for "CableCard" in the Tivo help screens, there's a debugging page that should help.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #2749
LCD1080

Hitting the card before the MMI screen appeared was the critical mistake?

Comcast's contractor tried to install the cable cards yesterday but I think we made a critical mistake. We didn't wait for the MMI screen to come up before he hit Card #1. Instead we pressed the "Configure Cable Card 1" box and hit the card immediately. Would you all agree that the premature hit was the problem? Today I re-inserted the card and waited for the MMI screen to appear. After about 2 minutes the MMI screen came up. I acquired all of the channels but the encrypted channels aren't working. A Comcast tech is coming over tomorrow so I think that Card 1 is ready to be hit again. Also would you recommend that I tell him ask the head office to send an initialization and a refresh signal before they send the hit signal? I read in another thread that this helped on at least one card installation.
LCD1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #2750
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Well, I've had a pisser of a time with my Comcast cable card install today.

First, the install was to be from 8a-10a this morning. I took the morning off from work. I thought it was odd that I hadn't received a confirmation call by 8:30a so I called the 800 number to hear the automated voice tell me that my install was scheduled for between 3p-5p! I was pissed, called, and went to work.

Left work around 3p. They showed up then so the two tech's had a 1/2 hour head start on it before I showed up (my wife was home, but know nothing about how this stuff works).

Box A they said was set up fine and Box B they were calling in to get set up when I arrived. They said some of the channels could take 30+ minutes to register and show up and I could see that some of the digital channels already had. They left and shortly thereafter everything was perfect on Box B. I then ran the guided setups on both boxes (as the TiVo screen instructed me to do as well as the online cable card guide at tivo.com).

Box B continued to work great (and as of this writing still is) with both cards. However, Box A now only is receiving channels 2-23 and 187-192 (the six local HD channels) on both tuners. This tells me that the two cards in Box A somehow got changed (or were never actually set up right in the first place) to the Basic service. I repeated guided setup, no help. I took the cards out which allowed the TiVo to get 2-99, but when putting them back in, still just 2-23 and 187-192.

So I call Comcast at around 6:15p. They try to send a hit or whatever and the guy tells me it may take a while and he would call back in a half hour. Did I ever receive a call back? No.

I call Comcast again around 8:20p. I explain the same thing to the lady on the other end, she tries to send a hit, and tells me I will get a call back in an hour and if not fixed, they'll send someone back to my house tomorrow. Again, no call back.

I call Comcast a 3rd time at 10:00p. I get a nice lady that was unfortunately no help and I gave a lot of crap to when she tells me that they have a ticket open for me in the system that it will get resolved by Friday. Unacceptable. I ask for a supervisor or someone that knows anything about cable cards and she tells me that nobody is available at this time. She also says that nobody is allowed to call after 9p so why the first lady said I'll get a call back around 9:30p puzzles me. I am now expecting a call tomorrow from them.

This is just suck a pisser. I know it's a different technonogy, but if DirecTV can get this set up in 5 minutes with their cards, why the hell can't the cable company? I think I know more about this stuff than the "professionals" on the phone. Bunch of morons!

TiVo Stream
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #2751
aaronwt
HD Addict

DirecTV is setting it up with their own boxes. The S3 isn't a box from Comcast. The key is getting a knowledgeable tech that knows the correct person to contact at the headend. In my area that person at the headend is the only person that can enter the proper info to get the cable cards working. A CSR sending a hit wouldn't fix anything in my area.
At least is is worth it once everything is up an working. The SA boxes Comcast uses here are a joke. They don't come close to working as well as the S3.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #2752
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

This is slightly OT as it doesn't quite apply to the S3, but does anybody with Comcast have a TV that takes a single CableCARD, and if you do, what do you pay per month for it (besides what you pay for the two cards I presume you have in your S3)?

When I called to schedule an appointment to install two cards into my new S3, I was told that "they come in pairs," which seems strange if you happen to have a TV that has one CableCARD slot for its digital tuner.

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #2753
mbobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy
This is slightly OT as it doesn't quite apply to the S3, but does anybody with Comcast have a TV that takes a single CableCARD, and if you do, what do you pay per month for it (besides what you pay for the two cards I presume you have in your S3)?

When I called to schedule an appointment to install two cards into my new S3, I was told that "they come in pairs," which seems strange if you happen to have a TV that has one CableCARD slot for its digital tuner.

-- Don
WAAYY back when this thread was very young, I posted this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...38#post4373438

Which has a link to ComCast's policy on CableCards and charges.
First card for each outlet is free (included in outlet fee), if you need a second one, they will charge "a regulated fee of up to $1.91 for the second CableCARD".

See the link for full details.

-Mark
mbobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #2754
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobak
WAAYY back when this thread was very young, I posted this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...38#post4373438

Which has a link to ComCast's policy on CableCards and charges.
First card for each outlet is free (included in outlet fee), if you need a second one, they will charge "a regulated fee of up to $1.91 for the second CableCARD".

See the link for full details.

-Mark
Well, with my Comcast install yesterday, they charged me $18 for the installer to come out and then a flat fee of $16 per each of the 4 cards that went into the two S3's for a total of $82 (only one of which is working properly). They told me that I would not get hit with any monthly fees for any of the cards though. I'm betting I'll get double dipped and get charged on my next bill though and will have to call.

TiVo Stream
Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #2755
Pimpbot40

Received my Series3 today and called Comcast in PG County Maryland to make an appt. to get my cable cards installed. The CSR told me that each outlet can only have one card assigned to it basically telling me that I can't have both cards installed in the Tivo. My assumption was that this is not the case so I advised him to tell the tech to bring two cards and I would work it out with him. Is this actually true? Has anyone else been told this by a Comcast CSR?
Pimpbot40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #2756
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpbot40
The CSR told me that each outlet can only have one card assigned to it basically telling me that I can't have both cards installed in the Tivo.
It would be pretty silly if true, but I wouldn't put it past Comcast to do it.

I've only heard of one person bumping up against a real limit, it was 7 cards, so his 4th machine could only have 1.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #2757
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974
Well, with my Comcast install yesterday, they charged me $18 for the installer to come out and then a flat fee of $16 per each of the 4 cards that went into the two S3's for a total of $82 (only one of which is working properly). They told me that I would not get hit with any monthly fees for any of the cards though. I'm betting I'll get double dipped and get charged on my next bill though and will have to call.
Comcast really pisses me off. Sure enough I see extra charges on my recent activity so I call Comcast to understand why. In a nutshell, here are the 3 stories I have been told by CSRs from different calls pre and post installation.

I have two S3's, each of course requiring 2 cable cards.

I live in Cary, IL (NW of Chicago) so if other have the same or different pricing, please chime in.

Scenario #1:
* $17.99 install fee
* $15.99 card fee (per card)
* No monthly fee on either card
EXPECTATION: $81.95 install fee with no monthly fees.

Scenario #2:
* $17.99 install fee
* $0.00 card installation fee (per card)
* $0.00/mo fee for 1st card, $1.50/mo fee for additional cards.
EXPECTATION: $17.99 install fee with $4.50 monthly fees.

Scenario #3:
* $17.99 install fee
* $15.99 "outlet activation fee"
* $0.00/mo fee for 1st card per outlet, $1.50/mo fee for additional cards per outlet, $5.99 outlet fee for 2nd outlet.
EXPECTATION: $33.98 install fee with $8.99 monthly fees.

My recent activity showed a sum of scenario #1 plus the monthly of scenario #3. The rep credited 3 x 15.99, but said that scenario #3 is the way it will go forward. Something about having a 2nd box requires a 2nd outlet.

What the hell? I just traded in two of their DVRs at $11.99 a piece and I was never charged for a 2nd outlet. Are they screwing me here (more than normal)? I just don't think I should have to be paying $5.99 more for that extra outlet.

TiVo Stream
Old 06-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #2758
azitnay

It sounds like you were just getting lucky before... A second Series3 typically means an additional outlet fee.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #2759
keenanSR

Scenario #3 is the one it should be, at least that's how it would be here in the SF bay area.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #2760
drcos
HD where available

Thumbs up

Okay, now the second S3 goes in, with another dual CC install on a Friday from Comcast. Shouldn't be a problem as now someone at the headend knows what to do

Different tech, problems, problems with first CC. He wants to rewire the house, I show him the signal strength is excellent, he replaces something outside anyway and my signal strength gets more excellent (excellenter?)...

First CC won't install, getting an 'error occurred during authorization. Please contact your retailer.' So he tries another card. They shut off my cable modem and one of the CCs in the other S3

Finally after two hours, he gets another agent at the headend who fixes everything in like ten minutes. Modem working, both CCs in first S3, now both CCs in second S3, all in ten minutes. "What did you do?" "We took the CC S/N (from the label), the pairing info, and the MAC address and entered it into the system."

Not quite painless, but neither very painful. For not knowing what they're doing, or "how much of a PITA Cable Cards are" (their techs), we seem to be working out rather well at this time here in SW FL.