TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #2671
cuyahoga

The CableCARDS in my S3 keep fluctuating from AUTH: Subscribed to AUTH: Not Subscribed. One card was working, one wasn't. The next day, both were Subscribed. Now today when I got home from work, none were Subscribed and a few hours later one was Subscribed and the other was Not.

Seems odd to me., like something that could be fixed with a few button clicks at the head end, but the truck roll is Saturday morning.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #2672
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga
The CableCARDS in my S3 keep fluctuating from AUTH: Subscribed to AUTH: Not Subscribed. One card was working, one wasn't. The next day, both were Subscribed. Now today when I got home from work, none were Subscribed and a few hours later one was Subscribed and the other was Not.

Seems odd to me., like something that could be fixed with a few button clicks at the head end, but the truck roll is Saturday morning.
The Auth (and some of the other fields) is only valid for the last channel.

What you should be concerned about is the "Host Validation" field.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #2673
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

so I notice that one or both of my CCs are not working properly. both cards are showing this:

State: CA Disabled
Host Validation: Unknown 00 & Unknown 04
CCI: 0x02

I called Comcast but they are of no help. they told me they no longer require any of the extra info that was needed before(Host ID, CC#,etc.). they sent a signal which didn't work so they scheduled a truck roll.
Motorola RNG200N Comcast HD DVR
chrishicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #2674
TBoyd
Less Cable, More Net

Note Maybe ...

Hi Chrishicks,

Stupid question I'm sure, but have you ever had them validate the 'UNIT ADDRESS' for EACH card, in addition to the other numbers you've shared and confirmed with them? --- Just as a last resort of course.

Bon Chance!
Tim
Old 05-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #2675
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

I can't get them to validate anything. all the CS wanted was the card # which started with NG. I tried getting them to confirm the cable card #'s, the Host ID, etc. but I was told that they don't require any of that info anymore. all they need is the card # that starts with NG and that will provide them with everything else I was asking about. hell, they still won't acknowledge it's a Tivo and they keep giving me a hard time asking me why my tv has 2 CC slots. I have a feeling this may be one huge headache.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #2676
cuyahoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
The Auth (and some of the other fields) is only valid for the last channel.

What you should be concerned about is the "Host Validation" field.
Oh, I see. So it reads (for both) Valid 00 (at the moment, anyway)
Old 05-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #2677
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
I can't get them to validate anything. all the CS wanted was the card # which started with NG. I tried getting them to confirm the cable card #'s, the Host ID, etc. but I was told that they don't require any of that info anymore. all they need is the card # that starts with NG and that will provide them with everything else I was asking about. hell, they still won't acknowledge it's a Tivo and they keep giving me a hard time asking me why my tv has 2 CC slots. I have a feeling this may be one huge headache.
If you're seeing a non-zero CCI value, then they still need this information. The cards won't show copy protected (aka non-zero CCI value) channels, unless the host validation line says "Valid"

When I got my cards paired, they only needed the serial number (the one starting with NG) from the card specific information, and from that got the correct cablecard id. Then they needed the host id/data, as there's no way they can get those just from the cards.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #2678
Digibean

sfhub,
I have found no field on any of the screens called "Host Validation" or anything similar. When I go to the CableCARD Menu and select "SA CableCARD/Host ID Screen", it says:

In order to start service for this device, please contact customer service at Ph# Phone: (###) ###-####

CableCARD(tm):#-###-###-###-###
Host ID:#-###-###-###-###

I've called the number they listed and had them varify my CC#, Host ID#, Ser#, and Mac address for both cards and to have hits sent to my cards, but no luck.

So, I'm still waiting on the 2 cards that they are testing at the headend. I haven't heard back from the tech who is supposed to call me when they're ready.
Digibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #2679
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibean
sfhub,
I have found no field on any of the screens called "Host Validation" or anything similar.
On your S3

Messages&Settings->Settings->Remote,CableCARD,&Devices->CableCARDDecoder->ConfigureCableCARD#->CableCARDMenu->ConditionalAccess

Look for "Host Validation"
Old 05-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #2680
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoyd
Hi Chrishicks,

Stupid question I'm sure, but have you ever had them validate the 'UNIT ADDRESS' for EACH card, in addition to the other numbers you've shared and confirmed with them? --- Just as a last resort of course.

Bon Chance!
Tim
ok, I finally spoke with a CS rep who knew what I as talking about when I mentioned CC#s and Host IDs. somehow one of my cards had it's Host ID changed in their system. he corrected it and we confirmed the rest of the numbers which were correct. I mentioned the Unit Address but he said there was no place to add in that so he guessed it wasn't needed. he sent multiple signals out and both cards supposedly accepted the hit. however, both of my cards are still showing the State as CA Disabled and CCI: 0x02. I still have my scheduled truck roll for tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 PM   #2681
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
he sent multiple signals out and both cards supposedly accepted the hit.
Just FYI, the CableCARD device in the Series 3 doesn't in any fashion communicate anything to the cable company. It only receives data. There is simply no way they can know if the card "accepted" any hit except from reading data on some of the diagnostic screens. The most they can tell you without that is that their system accepted the command to send the authorization info over the cable system's datastream and/or the command was actually sent over the datastream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #2682
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974
To Chicagoland Comcast users with S3 TiVos, have any of you tried to just pick up channels 187-192 without cable cards? I was wondering if those specific local HD channels would work without the cards in the S3 box. Thanks!
I'm not in Chicargoland, but they won't be 187-192 without cable cards, you might be able to receive them without cable cards but they'll be on some other random channel assignment. On my system, 190 was on 117-4 last year when I looked and 91-8 when I looked this year. Its the cable card which tells the TiVo its 190.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:44 PM   #2683
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
I'm not in Chicargoland, but they won't be 187-192 without cable cards, you might be able to receive them without cable cards but they'll be on some other random channel assignment.
That may be (and probably likely is) the case, but how can you know this without having access to the Chicago-land signal? Those RF channels can easily be mapped to 187-192 using PSIP. That's what they do in Austin, which allows those folks to use S3 with digital cable without needing CableCARD for the mappings.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #2684
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
That may be (and probably likely is) the case, but how can you know this without having access to the Chicago-land signal? Those RF channels can easily be mapped to 187-192 using PSIP. That's what they do in Austin, which allows those folks to use S3 with digital cable without needing CableCARD for the mappings.
Does the cable operator insert PSIP? If it used the PSIP OTA mapping, my channel 190 would be on 9-2.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:22 AM   #2685
sfhub

Quote:
Does the cable operator insert PSIP? If it used the PSIP OTA mapping, my channel 190 would be on 9-2.
Some systems are configured to pass through OTA PSIP. Some systems are setup to insert PSIP. Some systems mix and match.

The PSIP used by cable can specify channels with #.# style or 3-digit style.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #2686
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Comcast should be here sometime in the next few hours so I have a question. if the guy brings new CCs and installs them will I have to rerun the guided setup again? the reason I ask is that I have had 3 different installers come out since I got my S3 in Jan. and not one of them had any patience. the first 2 installers even put both cards in at the same time immediately after reading the sheet that came with the Tivo. they both said that the instructions didn't apply to Comcast CCs since they are different than everyone else's.

it was only on the 3rd try that the guy actually tried it the way the instructions stated but he was still very impatient about it. he wouldn't wait for the screens to come up. he would just go into the Tivo menus to get the pairing info. I'm guessing I'll most likely get one of these 3 again so I'm kinda concerned here that I may enter into another multi truck run nightmare.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #2687
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
I'm not in Chicargoland, but they won't be 187-192 without cable cards, you might be able to receive them without cable cards but they'll be on some other random channel assignment. On my system, 190 was on 117-4 last year when I looked and 91-8 when I looked this year. Its the cable card which tells the TiVo its 190.
So it sounds like that if I want to use the program guide for recording and so on, I will need to get cable cards. I called Comcast and I can't just pick them up. They need to send a friggin installer to put them into the S3 boxes. I want to get two S3 boxes next week once the rebate goes into effect, but then I need to wait for them to arrive and then schedule the appointment.

Other than the inconvenience, can I just buy two S3's from CircuitCity today, schedule the Comcast card install, order two new S3's from Amazon once the rebate kicks in, return the CC boxes, and then just put the cable cards into the newer Amazon S3 boxes? Other than the hassle and kinda borrowing the boxes from CC, would TiVo care or would the Amazon boxes reject the cable cards if they were used in different boxes? Thanks!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #2688
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974
So it sounds like that if I want to use the program guide for recording and so on, I will need to get cable cards. I called Comcast and I can't just pick them up. They need to send a friggin installer to put them into the S3 boxes. I want to get two S3 boxes next week once the rebate goes into effect, but then I need to wait for them to arrive and then schedule the appointment.

Other than the inconvenience, can I just buy two S3's from CircuitCity today, schedule the Comcast card install, order two new S3's from Amazon once the rebate kicks in, return the CC boxes, and then just put the cable cards into the newer Amazon S3 boxes? Other than the hassle and kinda borrowing the boxes from CC, would TiVo care or would the Amazon boxes reject the cable cards if they were used in different boxes? Thanks!
It most liekly would not work without another visit from Comcast techs. The cable cards are paired to your hardware in most Comcast markets, so they will not work if moved to another unit until the new pairing data is put into their system.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #2689
sfhub

Quote:
Comcast should be here sometime in the next few hours so I have a question. if the guy brings new CCs and installs them will I have to rerun the guided setup again?
To test whether the CableCARDs work you should be able to use the CableCARD channel test option which does not require rerunning guided setup. Just make sure you test the premium channels and expanded basic ADS channels.

When the CableCARD install is done, you'll want to re-run guided setup (it should automatically ask you to do so) so the guide data is updated correctly.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #2690
chrishicks
Tivo Junkie

Comcast tech just left. I believe I have a faulty slot 1. e tried for over 2.5hrs trying to get multiple CCs to work in it. the most I can get is my basic channels with 0 premium. we had 2 different CS reps on speakerphone at the same time who knew the Tivo install exactly how it is printed from Tivo themselves. we tried rebooting it and no matter what slot 1 just won't get any premium stuff. the card never got the 161-4 error. they sent atleast 20 hits to the card too. we moved to slot 2. popped in the card, went to the pairing screen and after about 2min. we had all the #s. she sent it a signal, about a min. or so later we got an error 161-4. about a min. later we got another one which we thought was slot 1 but it wasn't. I think we may have had one more after that but I'm not sure as the tech hit the remote as it popped up.

ok, as I was typing this out I got another error 161-4. that makes atleast 3 if not 4.

crap, this thing is still screwed up. I was prompted to rerun the guided setup so I started it. I got a CC slot 1 message. I cleared it started the setup 3 thumbs down and enter and it just froze on me.

Last edited by chrishicks : 05-24-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #2691
coolburn95

Arrow

Hello,

I've read through this thread, and I think I understand regarding the Host Validation.

However, my current situation does not seem to match up.

I have San Francisco Comcast. When they turned on the copy protection, one of my CableCARDs stopped receiving HBO. However, the next day they were swapping the cards (for a different problem) anyways, so I didn't call to have them fixed.

So they swapped one out, called them in, and both were and ARE receiving HBO just fine. However, one of them still says Host Validation: Unknown, even though it receives HBO just fine.

CableCARD #1:
Host Validation: Unknown 00
Copy Protection Key: Disabled
CCI: 0x00

CableCARD #2:
Host Validation: Valid 01
Copy Protection Key: Enabled
CCI: 0x02

That's what is displayed on each, when I'm on the HD HBO channel.

Again, both receive HBO just fine.

I tried to call and get them to somehow re-enter the data for CC#1, to try and get it to Valid. And they claim they already have all the data, and since it's receiving HBO fine, there's nothing wrong.

Any advice on this scenario?

Thank you!
coolburn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #2692
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

coolburn95,
Are you sure that you are viewing HBO on the tuner with CC#1? As a quick check, tune to HBO channel and use this sequence which will bring up a one line status display at the bottom of the screen: Select Play Select Replay Select. "Input 0" is CC#1 and "Input 1" is CC#2.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 PM   #2693
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolburn95
Again, both receive HBO just fine.

I tried to call and get them to somehow re-enter the data for CC#1, to try and get it to Valid. And they claim they already have all the data, and since it's receiving HBO fine, there's nothing wrong.

Any advice on this scenario?
Use the S3's CableCARD menu option to test channels. It will allow you to isolate each CableCARD independently with no confusion. If you use TiVo, it will sometimes switch from CC#1 to CC#2 to be more efficient. That can give you confusing results if you are not used to it. With the CableCARD test menu, you will force it to test one CableCARD or the other.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #2694
Digibean

CCs Work Now

sfhub,

First, when I go to: Messages&Settings->Settings->Remote,CableCARD,&Devices->CableCARDDecoder->ConfigureCableCARD#->CableCARDMenu->ConditionalAccess

and look for "Host Validation", it's not there. What I have is:

RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD CP Screen
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
SA CableCARD/Host ID Screen

and that's it.

Now back to the good news. My CCs are now working and here's how it happened:

From my previous post, I was waiting for the last tech to call me back and schedule an appointment after he had tested 2 cards over a 24 hour period. Well, he never called but I called him twice without any return call. So, I decided on the way home today that I was going to call the local office and downgrade my Comcast Triple Play to just Digital w/ HD (no premium channels) and internet. When I got home I called and told the first person I wanted to downgrade. He transferred me to Cust Service.

When rep got on the line, I gave him my ph# and told him he should check my account history for a synopsis of events. He did that and then said things didn't look right. I asked what he meant and he said that he read that I have a TiVo S3 but was being charged for 2 outlets. He then said he was going to verify my CC#s and then said, and I quote, "Whoa, this ain't right!" He then read back both my Ser#s from my cards but said that the CC ID#s and Host ID#s weren't coming up. He said he had helped out another person a few days ago and when he looked up their #s, they were all there, but my #s weren't showing up. So he had me read my #s to him. After he took them down, he said he was going over to dispatch and have them make sure the #s were in and then he would call me back in 10 minutes.

Well he called back and said to check my channels and lo and behold all my channels were coming in. I had him stay on the line while I went through all the channels that I hadn't been able to get before. I verified that all were working. Then he said that he was also crediting my account since I had been without all of my channels for about a month. He ended up giving me almost a $50 credit

So then I went back to the Authorization screen and it now reads, "CP Auth Received" on both cards. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things stay fixed.

Thanks all for your input and help!!!
Digibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #2695
Roderigo

Quote:
and look for "Host Validation", it's not there. What I have is:

RESERVED
RESERVED
SA CableCARD CP Screen
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
SA CableCARD/Host ID Screen
You have an SA Cablecard, and sfhub was quoting the Motorola screens.

Quote:
So then I went back to the Authorization screen and it now reads, "CP Auth Received" on both cards. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things stay fixed.
This is the SA equivalent of "Host Validation: Valid"
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:07 AM   #2696
coolburn95

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
coolburn95,
Are you sure that you are viewing HBO on the tuner with CC#1? As a quick check, tune to HBO channel and use this sequence which will bring up a one line status display at the bottom of the screen: Select Play Select Replay Select. "Input 0" is CC#1 and "Input 1" is CC#2.
Yes, I tested, and both are showing HBO perfectly.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:09 AM   #2697
coolburn95

Quote:
Use the S3's CableCARD menu option to test channels. It will allow you to isolate each CableCARD independently with no confusion. If you use TiVo, it will sometimes switch from CC#1 to CC#2 to be more efficient. That can give you confusing results if you are not used to it. With the CableCARD test menu, you will force it to test one CableCARD or the other.
Hello,

I did this, and both display HBO perfectly. HOWEVER, I thumbed through some other channels, and only the Valid CC is showing HBO. The other brings up the Tivo screen to contact the cable provider.

SO, either they turned off the copy protection on HBO now, or something else is allowing me to view HBO, but not Showtime. Eitherway, it appears the CC with status Unknown is not correct, as it is causing me not to be able to see Showtime.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll give Comcast a call!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:26 AM   #2698
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolburn95
Hello,

I did this, and both display HBO perfectly. HOWEVER, I thumbed through some other channels, and only the Valid CC is showing HBO. The other brings up the Tivo screen to contact the cable provider.

SO, either they turned off the copy protection on HBO now, or something else is allowing me to view HBO, but not Showtime. Eitherway, it appears the CC with status Unknown is not correct, as it is causing me not to be able to see Showtime.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll give Comcast a call!
Roderigo mentioned on his system, HBO has copy protection disabled (CCI=0x00) but Showtime has it enabled.

To narrow this problem of yours down, it only makes sense to test channels with CCI=non-zero. Otherwise you will be testing channels that do not have copy protection enabled. Sometimes the CCI status can change over time as Comcast tries to resolve issues. In general if the validation says unknown, there is a pairing problem. Whether you will see the effect depends on the CCI status of the channels you are watching. To get the CCI status of the channel you can look at the TiVo diagnostics page after tuning to the channel.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #2699
coolburn95

Quote:
Roderigo mentioned on his system, HBO has copy protection disabled (CCI=0x00) but Showtime has it enabled.

To narrow this problem of yours down, it only makes sense to test channels with CCI=non-zero. Otherwise you will be testing channels that do not have copy protection enabled. Sometimes the CCI status can change over time as Comcast tries to resolve issues. In general if the validation says unknown, there is a pairing problem. Whether you will see the effect depends on the CCI status of the channels you are watching. To get the CCI status of the channel you can look at the TiVo diagnostics page after tuning to the channel.
Right. They must have disabled the copy protection on HBO at some point, again. However, after multiple calls to Comcast (each time they said they fixed the HOST DATA pairing, but each time I called afterwards, it hadn't really been fixed) the most recent person actually updated the HOST DATA information, and now both cards say Valid... and receive Showtime.

Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #2700
coolburn95

So now that both of my Cablecards are receiving all channels, and both say valid... I was wondering if the number after the valid means anything.

One CC says Valid 03, and the other says Valid 07. Is this meaningful in any way?

(Anyhow, I'm just happy to be receiving all channels now. )