TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #1
taa1

In search of Jensen Harris, author of YAC, to modify YAC to work with NCID

Is Jensen Harris still an active member of this community?

sunflowerhead.c@m/software/yac

I'm looking to run the YAC server on a Windows box and have it broadcast CID data in NCID format: tiny url.c@m/2sdfbn
taa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa1

sunflowerhead.c@m/software/yac

I'm looking to run the YAC server on a Windows box and have it broadcast CID data in NCID format: tiny url.c@m/2sdfbn
Any reason not to run NCID server itself?

NCID works by pulling data from server and YAC works by pushing data from server (actually broadcast) so I doubt you can easily switch format on the YAC side. However if you REALLY want to do this, I bet you can alter NCID server to get info from a YAC broadcast, this would require no alteration of YAC code and NCID is A- opensource and B - John(maintainer) was around last time I checked.

-HH
Hichhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
He is certainly missed.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:49 AM   #4
taa1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hichhiker
Any reason not to run NCID server itself?
Yes, because NCID does not run on Windows, as explained by John himself at the URL I included.

Quote:
However if you REALLY want to do this, I bet you can alter NCID server to get info from a YAC broadcast
I bet I could, too, if I was a C programmer.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Yes, because NCID does not run on Windows, as explained by John himself at the URL I included.
On the main site NCIDD claims to run under cygwin, but i guess it is having issues under that.

Quote:
I bet I could, too, if I was a C programmer.
I *think* NCID had a plugin architecture (which is how he added VOIP CID support) buts its been a while since I looked at it. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance. (just looked at it, NCIDSIP, which is the VOIP plugin, is written in perl. I think you can write it in anything you want, though you will probably want libPCAP support)

-HH

Last edited by Hichhiker : 05-08-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
taa1

Quote:
On the main site NCIDD claims to run under cygwin, but i guess it is having issues under that.
Correct. John details the problems here: tiny url.c@m slash 2sdfbn. (I had to obscure the URL in order to bypass tivocommunity's message board filters so that's why you can't click on it directly.)

Quote:
I *think* NCID had a plugin architecture (which is how he added VOIP CID support) buts its been a while since I looked at it. I'll take a look at it when I get a chance. (just looked at it, NCIDSIP, which is the VOIP plugin, is written in perl. I think you can write it in anything you want, though you will probably want libPCAP support)

-HH
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Last edited by taa1 : 05-08-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
kramerboy
Jelly Man

Thumbs up josquin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
He is certainly missed.
Jm J. Bullock and Josquin. Seems like it was just yesterday.........

Good times, Good times indeed.........

As for the OP... I believe that josquin is no longer an 'active' poster in this forum so you may not get an answer from him here.
kramerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
A quick Googling will reveal that Mr. Harris is quite busy with, um, other (more high profile) projects.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
No promises, but I will see if I can write one. I am not really a C coder either.

-HH
Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
jlc

Quote:
No promises, but I will see if I can write one. I am not really a C coder either.

-HH
Any help with NCID is always appreciated. If you can add a client to handle a modem under windows and send the CID information to ncidd, it will be added to the project.

I have been looking at YAC and thought it could be hacked so it would handle a modem and send the information to ncidd like ncidsip does. The protocol is documented, so all you need to do is sent it in the format ncidd expects, and change the code so it connects to the server. You should be able to hack the code to do this. It is GPL so it can be renamed, chopped, and hacked as a NCID CID client, just be sure leave the copyright and indicate it was developed from YAC.

The server does run under cygwin, but only if you configure it not to use a modem directly. I have also been able to get ncidsip working under cygwin and will document how to do it. If you can hack YAC, then NCID will run completely under windows.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #11
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
I have been looking at YAC and thought it could be hacked so it would handle a modem and send the information to ncidd like ncidsip does. The protocol is documented, so all you need to do is sent it in the format ncidd expects, and change the code so it connects to the server. You should be able to hack the code to do this. It is GPL so it can be renamed, chopped, and hacked as a NCID CID client, just be sure leave the copyright and indicate it was developed from YAC.
I was thinking this - "yac2ncid" a small app that will listen to YAC broadcasts and submit them to NCIDD same way as NCIDSIP does. This should require no alterations to YAC or NCID and should be pretty simple to write. Add to that a "ncid2yac" notifier for NCIDD so that you can broadcast to YAC clients from NCIDD server and this will create a complete 2-way gateway so that you can use either server with either client without too much pain.

I started playing with libpcap to write the first part in C, but life's been too damn busy lately. Once I finish it up, I'll contact you to see if it is usable ;-)

-HH
Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
jlc

Quote:
I was thinking this - "yac2ncid" a small app that will listen to YAC broadcasts and submit them to NCIDD same way as NCIDSIP does. This should require no alterations to YAC or NCID and should be pretty simple to write. Add to that a "ncid2yac" notifier for NCIDD so that you can broadcast to YAC clients from NCIDD server and this will create a complete 2-way gateway so that you can use either server with either client without too much pain.

I started playing with libpcap to write the first part in C, but life's been too damn busy lately. Once I finish it up, I'll contact you to see if it is usable ;-)

-HH
You do not need libpcap. See http://www.sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/yac-sdk.htm you just need to open TCP port 10629, wait until you get data, reformat it, and send it to ncidd. You could use perl or tcl or whatever. NCIDsip does this type of conversion, but it uses libpcap to get input from UDP packets. You would need to change that part if you want to hack it.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Hichhiker
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc
You do not need libpcap. See http://www.sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/yac-sdk.htm you just need to open TCP port 10629, wait until you get data, reformat it, and send it to ncidd. You could use perl or tcl or whatever. NCIDsip does this type of conversion, but it uses libpcap to get input from UDP packets. You would need to change that part if you want to hack it.
For some reason I thought I needed to do something much more complicated than it turned out to be. :-)

taa1:

I have finally got some time to play with this last night, so I wrote an "alpha" version of this and sent it to John. Once he takes a look at it and makes sure it is functional, I'll clean it up and it will be added to NCID distribution. This includes using YAC server as source of CID data for NCID network as well as using NCID server with YAC clients as output devices.

-HH
Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Hichhiker
Just me.

FYI:

Latest version of NCID now include a YAC2NCID gateway that will allow you to use YAC server with NCID as well as NCID-YAC output module that allows you to send NCID output to YAC clients. Obviously you won't need both at same time, but the YAC2NCID should take care of your original issue.

Enjoy

-HH
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #15
taa1

Excellent -- I've returned from vacation to find this updated thread, and am off to get it all working together. Thanks, HH, for working on this!