TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #421
ocntscha

patch for 191

I've been continuing to play with pyTivo on Solaris. I was having a performance issue and would like to submit a patch that corrected it. Whenever I would transfer a file it would be at about 1/3 to 1/4 of real time. Odd because issuing the same ffmpeg command in a UNIX shell would convert the files at right around real time. I determined with prstat (more or less the Solaris equivalent to Linux's top) that when a transfer was taking place python would be eating up about 66% CPU and ffmpeg only got 33%. Unlike on my LInux box where its like 98% ffmpeg and 1% python.

I found where in transcode.py its sending the file over and googled up http://pydoc.org/2.4.1/subprocess.html where I learned about the bufsize option to Popen. Since pyTivo doesn't specify bufsize it defaults to unbuffered, I added the bufsize option and set it to -1 which "means to use the system default". Lo and behold it worked! That one little option gave like a 3 to 4 fold increase in performance, I can transfer right around real time now, ffmpeg eats 98% CPU, python eats 1% just like on my Linux box.

I don't know if this the best fix, or the correct fix, all I can say is it works. I added the same bufsize=-1 option on my Linux box and it doesn't have any negative effect. I'll leave it to you experts to decide.

Also included in this patch is just a new, commented section for pyTivo.conf. At the moment I've got 2 pyTivos running on my network, one on Linux one on Solaris so they needed unique guids. One of you programmers already have programmed beacon.py to check for a guid in pytivo.conf and it definately works so I figured it ought to be documented in pyTivo.conf.
Code:
diff -L proposed-changes-to-pyTivo191 -r -u proposed-changes-to-pyTivo191 pyTivo/plugins/video/transcode.py
--- proposed-changes-to-pyTivo191
+++ pyTivo/plugins/video/transcode.py   2007-05-03 23:31:45.000000000 -0500
@@ -47,6 +47,7 @@
 def transcode(inFile, outFile, tsn=''):
     cmd = [FFMPEG, '-i', inFile, '-vcodec', 'mpeg2video', '-r', '29.97', '-b', VIDEO_BR] + select_aspect(inFile, tsn) +  ['-comment', 'pyTivo.py', '-ac', '2', '-ab', AUDIO_BR,'-ar', '44100', '-f', 'vob', '-' ]   
     debug_write(['transcode: ffmpeg command is ', ''.join(cmd), '\n'])
+    ffmpeg = subprocess.Popen(cmd, bufsize=-1, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
     ffmpeg = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
     try:
         shutil.copyfileobj(ffmpeg.stdout, outFile)
@@ -221,7 +222,7 @@
         return True, True, True, True, True

cmd = [FFMPEG, '-i', inFile ] 
-    ffmpeg = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
+    ffmpeg = subprocess.Popen(cmd, bufsize=-1, stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)

# wait 4 sec if ffmpeg is not back give up
     for i in range(80):
diff -L proposed-changes-to-pyTivo191 -r -u proposed-changes-to-pyTivo191 pyTivo/pyTivo.conf
--- proposed-changes-to-pyTivo191
+++ pyTivo/pyTivo.conf  2007-05-03 23:45:54.000000000 -0500
@@ -22,6 +22,11 @@
 #need to specify the subnet broadcast address(es) of your Tivo boxes
 #beacon=255.255.255.255

+# Global unique identifier of this pyTivo, can be any six digits.  Defaults
+# to 123456 if not explicitly set here.  If you have 2 or more pyTivos running
+# on your network, they will each need a unique guid.
+#guid=123456
+
 #Output Pixel Width: if you have an HDTV you might want to try 720 or 704
 #Valid: 720, 704, 544, 480, 352
 #width=1440

Last edited by ocntscha : 05-04-2007 at 01:10 AM.
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:57 AM   #422
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner

Love pytivo.. but I got a quick question:

Since spring update 8.3, I had to enlarge my pytivo config file considerably. When I edit the config file manually, I'll have say, Music Videos ABC and then Music Videos DEF right next to each other. When I launch Pytivo configurator.. it suddenly reorganizes my config file and nothing is in order anymore. This matches what I am seeing on tivo. I've tried everything I can think of.. and I can't get it to be sorted.

SO basically my question is... how does pytivo organize it's folders? Is there anyway to get alphabetically sorted listings of folders? Is it based on folder size content? Time, etc?
bschuler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #423
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocntscha
I've been continuing to play with pyTivo on Solaris. I was having a performance issue and would like to submit a patch that corrected it. Whenever I would transfer a file it would be at about 1/3 to 1/4 of real time. Odd because issuing the same ffmpeg command in a UNIX shell would convert the files at right around real time. I determined with prstat (more or less the Solaris equivalent to Linux's top) that when a transfer was taking place python would be eating up about 66% CPU and ffmpeg only got 33%. Unlike on my LInux box where its like 98% ffmpeg and 1% python.

I found where in transcode.py its sending the file over and googled up http://pydoc.org/2.4.1/subprocess.html where I learned about the bufsize option to Popen. Since pyTivo doesn't specify bufsize it defaults to unbuffered, I added the bufsize option and set it to -1 which "means to use the system default". Lo and behold it worked! That one little option gave like a 3 to 4 fold increase in performance, I can transfer right around real time now, ffmpeg eats 98% CPU, python eats 1% just like on my Linux box.

I don't know if this the best fix, or the correct fix, all I can say is it works. I added the same bufsize=-1 option on my Linux box and it doesn't have any negative effect. I'll leave it to you experts to decide. ...............
I just tested this on one of my Windows XP systems (2.8 GHz laptop, wireless .11g to hub, wired hub-to-tivo). I used a 121 sec XviD clip encoded at 1200 kbps, transcoding at 4096kbps. The transfer time was the same with or without the mod, i.e, 67 seconds.

In other words, it seems to do no harm to Windows systems.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #424
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Bummer, I got 8.3 last night. I went into a subfolder and out, without anything dying, but I didn't really mess with it. I'll be checking out the updated code though I guess.

I wasn't paying enough attention to the complaints about 8.3. Does it crash your Tivo or just mess up your Now Playing list?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #425
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
Bummer, I got 8.3 last night. I went into a subfolder and out, without anything dying, but I didn't really mess with it. I'll be checking out the updated code though I guess.

I wasn't paying enough attention to the complaints about 8.3. Does it crash your Tivo or just mess up your Now Playing list?
Another user and I have had TiVo crashes when using the video.py file from changeset 192 (Occuring when you select a subfolder file to transcode). However this changeset was never released as a version for downloading.

On 191 or 187 I haven't seen or heard of crashes, but subfolders are broken for TiVo 8.3. In my case you can sometimes go to a subfolder and successfully transcode a video there, but from then on if you go to any subfolder it is empty.

Note you can create video shares in pyTivo that are subfolders of other video shares. This at least gives you a solid way to get all your subfolder videos into the NPL without having to move them around on your PC. Unfortunately, neither folder nor file shortcuts seem to work.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 05-04-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:54 PM   #426
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner

Quote:
Note you can create video shares in pyTivo that are subfolders of other video shares. This at least gives you a solid way to get all your subfolder videos into the NPL without having to move them around on your PC.
Yes.. but then you'll have my issue of trying to organize them in a coherent way. Your shares seem to show up in random order. Not that big of a deal..but would be nice to be able to organize your shares.
bschuler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:06 AM   #427
Tobashadow

Well i got the files to show up again, it seems the conf file was changed somehow when i went back to the 187.

But when i select a file everything goes as normal but when i hit play i can hear everything just fine but the video looks like im looking thru one of those privacy frosted windows for like a shower. And it's in large blocks of this.

Oh joy config problems hehe.

Any pointers or specific files to look in?

The defualt 182 was perfect before.
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #428
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobashadow
Well i got the files to show up again, it seems the conf file was changed somehow when i went back to the 187.

But when i select a file everything goes as normal but when i hit play i can hear everything just fine but the video looks like im looking thru one of those privacy frosted windows for like a shower. And it's in large blocks of this.

Oh joy config problems hehe.

Any pointers or specific files to look in?

The defualt 182 was perfect before.
I would suspect the video bitrate is way to low. This is the "video_br= " line in the config file. If you just delete that line it will default to 4096k which is a good value for most systems. If you need a lower rate (for example if your network connection or computer are slower than average) then try 3072k or 2048k. Quality will be reduced but not to the blockiness you are seeing.

This parameter (if present) must be in the [Server] section of the file. See "About the file format" in the configuration page of the Wiki for the definition of "being in a section."

and
Old 05-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #429
Tobashadow

Ok im back in business with 187 on both Tivo's now ( i added a second one to my account last night) and everything looks and acts right except for the folder problem on the 8.3 box.

Turned out the defualt video viewing size setting was messing with it.

I # it out and everything was fine.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #430
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

8.3 Subfolder Problem Update

Ok people as promised I spent about 4 hours yesterday tinking with 8.3 trying to figure out the problem. I have made some good insights, but TiVo really f***ked us on this one.

So here is what happens.

It seems that the first time you use the TiVoComeBack feature it works fine, and I think after a period of time a cache in TiVo empties and it will work fine again for another single use.

But after you use TiVoComeBack once every future request from TiVo becomes messy. TiVo starts requesting the very first folder you used for no reason in every request. And it sticks to this folder, like it is stuck in a cache somewhere.

I wrote up a summary of where I am at over on the wiki. 8.3Software

Please anyone read it and tell me what you think.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #431
TreborPugly
Unreal!

What about an HME interface other than Now Playing? Isn't that what some of the tools for Galleon use?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #432
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan
I wrote up a summary of where I am at over on the wiki. 8.3Software

Please anyone read it and tell me what you think.
Seems about right. Unfortunately, the problem with trying to work around the issue is that it is basically one big hack with unpredictable results.

The best fix would be to get TiVo to fix the issue themselves. Right now, they're probably not even aware of the problem. Pointing it out to TiVoJerry and asking politely if that was intentional and if not could it be fixed in the next TiVo software release would probably be the best course of action.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:05 PM   #433
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
What about an HME interface other than Now Playing? Isn't that what some of the tools for Galleon use?
The interface is actually 90% identical to the HMO interface. But no, videos can only appear in the NPL. Galleon uses HME for a lot of features, but even the GoBack option in Galleon appears in the NPL.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #434
johnkfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan
Ok people as promised I spent about 4 hours yesterday tinking with 8.3 trying to figure out the problem. I have made some good insights, but TiVo really f***ked us on this one.
I'd be cool with 192's limitations in the interim, but unfortunately it causes some tivos, including mine, to reboot. If that can be fixed or if a way to alphabetize the list when we set up multiple shares as a workaround, well, that'd be neat

Last edited by johnkfisher : 05-05-2007 at 08:42 PM.
johnkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #435
1up

Hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Tivo Series2 and started using pyTivo. I can't get any decrypted vob files to show up in the NPL.

My pyTivo.conf contains:
Code:
[Server]
port=9032
ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

debug=true

video_br=3072K

[My Vids]
type=video
path=z:\pemm532

[Torrents]
type=video
path=e:\torrents

[DVD]
type=video
path=z:\ForTivo
I used the debug function of pyTivo and here's the relevant data:
Code:
Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 29.97 (30000/1001) -> 59.94 (60000/1001)

Input #0, mpeg, from 'Z:\ForTivo\VTS_01_0.VOB':

Duration: 00:00:04.9, start: 0.280633, bitrate: 106147 kb/s

Stream #0.0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480, 9800 kb/s, 59.94 fps(r)

Stream #0.1[0x80]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s

Must supply at least one output file

video_info: Bug in VideoReDo
video_info: Codec= mpeg2video  width= 720  height= 480  fps= 29.97  millisecs= 4900 
video_info: ffmpeg output= FFmpeg version SVN-r8047, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.

configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-pthreads --enable-liba52 
--enable-avisynth --enable-libdts --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame 
--enable-libnut --enable-libogg --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-x264 --enable-xvid 
--enable-amr_nb --enable-amr_wb --cpu=i686 --enable-memalign-hack --extra-ldflags=-static

libavutil version: 49.3.0

libavcodec version: 51.34.0

libavformat version: 51.10.0

built on Feb 21 2007 23:20:24, gcc: 4.3.0 20070126 (experimental)
There are multiple errors exactly the same as above for each of the vob files in the directory. I'm not at all knowledgeable about this, but shouldn't the debug data show "--enable-vob" as well? I can't find anywhere in any file where I can change the ffmpeg2 command line options. I was previously using Tivo[.]net and it worked fine with that program. I even tried moving all files into their own directory so that there weren't any subdirectories. Does any have any suggestions?

Thanks,
1up

Last edited by 1up : 05-05-2007 at 08:53 PM.
1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #436
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up
Hoping someone can help me out here. I have a Tivo Series2 and started using pyTivo. I can't get any decrypted vob files to show up in the NPL.
.vob files are one kind of mpeg2 file and your debug data indicates it is tivo-compatible and thus should be transfered without even requiring transcoding by ffmpeg. I've never tried to transfer a .vob file but I took one of my TiVo compatible mpeg2 files and changed the extension to .vob and it showed on the NPL and transfered fine (without transcoding).

What version of pyTivo?
Per my understanding of the pyTivo code, it should be furnishing your VOB file names to the tivo NPL. As a quick experiment, try renaming the .vob to .mpg, although my experiment indicates it shouldn't matter. Still, it could be a difference between your Series2 and my Series2 DT.

Heres a link to some good info on ripped vob files. It's a VideoReDo web page but it's helpful even if you don't have the program. In particular note you should ignore the usually small .vob's, i.e. " Do not include VIDEO_TS.VOB or VTS_xx_00.VOB if present. " To get the complete video you need to combine the other .vob's using one of the methods described. The .vob files are split at arbitrary points just determined by a 1 GB max file size, not by logical scene boundaries.

and
Old 05-06-2007, 12:17 AM   #437
ocntscha

I've had great luck with a little freeware program named vob2mpg the few times I've tried it, takes a vob set and makes a normal mpeg out of it, very quickly, few minutes to do the whole movie..

http://www.svcd2dvd.com/downloads.aspx#VOB2MPG
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #438
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
I would suspect the video bitrate is way to low. This is the "video_br= " line in the config file. If you just delete that line it will default to 4096k which is a good value for most systems. If you need a lower rate (for example if your network connection or computer are slower than average) then try 3072k or 2048k. Quality will be reduced but not to the blockiness you are seeing.

This parameter (if present) must be in the [Server] section of the file. See "About the file format" in the configuration page of the Wiki for the definition of "being in a section."

The bitrate wasnt the problem BUT i did change it to the 3072k spec that you stated above and i cant see a change in quality even on my 62 inch tv (good source count's) , but now on my 802.11b adapter's on both tv im getting a encoding transfer ratio of almost 2:1 now where as i was before having to keep from starting it for 5mins or so after start of transfer to give it enough headstart, now i can instantly hit start playing and it will keep getting further ahead as it goes now.

BTW i just got done breaking down my folder's to a more single folder type system so that the 8.3 shouldnt bother me in the future and so i can stick with the 187 stable for now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #439
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
.vob files are one kind of mpeg2 file and your debug data indicates it is tivo-compatible and thus should be transfered without even requiring transcoding by ffmpeg. I've never tried to transfer a .vob file but I took one of my TiVo compatible mpeg2 files and changed the extension to .vob and it showed on the NPL and transfered fine (without transcoding).

What version of pyTivo?
Per my understanding of the pyTivo code, it should be furnishing your VOB file names to the tivo NPL. As a quick experiment, try renaming the .vob to .mpg, although my experiment indicates it shouldn't matter. Still, it could be a difference between your Series2 and my Series2 DT.

Heres a link to some good info on ripped vob files. It's a VideoReDo web page but it's helpful even if you don't have the program. In particular note you should ignore the usually small .vob's, i.e. " Do not include VIDEO_TS.VOB or VTS_xx_00.VOB if present. " To get the complete video you need to combine the other .vob's using one of the methods described. The .vob files are split at arbitrary points just determined by a 1 GB max file size, not by logical scene boundaries.
When i get a chance i'll upload a .vob to my server machine and try it.

Ive got the luxury starting as of this weekend of having both my DT in the living room and my older model total black front Single tuner S2 that i just got for the bedroom.

If there's a difference i'll be able to help.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:53 AM   #440
Tobashadow

Both machines threw a error when going into a folder with a unencrypted mpeg2 DVD compatable encoded .vob file in it.

Both Machines did fine if it was rencoded as a tivo compatable file.

Seem's Pytivo doesnt like dvd files.

Last edited by Tobashadow : 05-06-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #441
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobashadow
Both machines threw a error when going into a folder with a unencrypted mpeg2 DVD compatable encoded .vob file in it.

Both Machines did fine if it was rencoded as a tivo compatable file.

Seem's Pytivo doesnt like dvd files.
I wouldn't be too quick to blame it on pyTivo. Take one of the longer VOB's, rename it with a .mpg extension and see if it will go back using Tivo-go-back, i.e., not using pyTivo. You could also try it without renaming, just to see what happens.

From your debug file I can see that pyTivo is identifying it as tivo-compatible and should be just directly transfering it without transcoding. (Of course it has to be showing on the NPL, and selected for viewing, before this can happen.) Thus I suspect the problem is the TiVo's choking on VOB files. (AFAIK it doesn't say anywhere that VOB's are TiVo-compatible.) This will show during a go-back transfer too.

Where were the errors thrown? (Tivo or PC?) Did They occur before you even selected a file from NPL to view?

and
Old 05-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #442
Tobashadow

Neither machine would even show a folder with even one .vob file in it.

But renaming it to mpeg the tivo compatatible one worked.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #443
1up

dlfl, ocntscha & Tobashadow: Thanks for your replies everyone, they're much appreciated.

I've been trying to post a reply for the past half an hour now, but can't because I keep getting the following error message when trying to post anything:
Quote:
Your Post contains one or more URLs or image calls, please remove them before submitting your message again. To prevent the abuse of spam, we have set this restriction in place until after you make 5 posts.
But I have no image calls nor any links in my post. I do have a bunch of windows paths from the error logs (but I don't even know what's the offending item!). I've tried enclosing all periods (.) in brackets [], but that didn't work. Aggravating
Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #444
1up

I'm using pyTivo v1.91. I know that transcoding isn't required for the video portion of a vob, but I thought it was required for the audio portion (if I'm correct in thinking that the audio portion of DVD vob files are encoded as AC3 and my non-DVD Series 2 Tivo needs it to be encoded as mpeg-1 layer-2). Whether I'm correct or not, as you say, pyTivo should be either transcoding (if required) or simply streaming whichever .vob file I try to play from my Tivo. The 2 lines from my debug.txt file that would point me to a solution seem to be:
Code:
Must supply at least one output file

video_info: Bug in VideoReDo
Like you all said, it should be working...

I just joined the vob files into one large mpg and tried again, but I got the same error messages in the debug log. The file plays fine in VLC, Windows Media Player, & PowerDVD.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #445
1up

Here's some error info from the Windows/DOS command window after getting the error message on the Tivo. (I don't have pyTivo starting automatically as a service, so pyTivo.py starts in a command window.)
Code:
Exception happened during processing of request from ('10.0.0.10', 1743)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 464, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 522, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\httpserver.py", line 36, in do_GET
    plugin.SendFile(self, container, name)
  File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\video.py", line 36, in SendFile
    transcode.output_video(container['path'] + path[len(name)+1:], handler.wfile, tsn)
  File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\transcode.py", line 41, in output_video
    shutil.copyfileobj(f, outFile)
  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\shutil.py", line 24, in copyfileobj
    fdst.write(buf)
  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\socket.py", line 262, in write
    self.flush()
  File "C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\socket.py", line 249, in flush
    self._sock.sendall(buffer)
error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')

Old 05-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #446
1up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl:
I wouldn't be too quick to blame it on pyTivo. Take one of the longer VOB's, rename it with a .mpg extension and see if it will go back using Tivo-go-back, i.e., not using pyTivo. You could also try it without renaming, just to see what happens.

From your debug file I can see that pyTivo is identifying it as tivo-compatible and should be just directly transfering it without transcoding. (Of course it has to be showing on the NPL, and selected for viewing, before this can happen.) Thus I suspect the problem is the TiVo's choking on VOB files. (AFAIK it doesn't say anywhere that VOB's are TiVo-compatible.) This will show during a go-back transfer too.

Where were the errors thrown? (Tivo or PC?) Did They occur before you even selected a file from NPL to view?
dlfl, thanks for the tips. The errors were originally thrown on both the Tivo & the PC. The Tivo said there was a problem & wouldn't show any of the files in the folder that contained the vobs. I then checked the PC & found the errors I posted above. After I joined the vobs into one large .mpg file and moved it into it's own directory, it showed up in the Tivo NPL (technically, just showing as available on the PC Server), but after trying to watch it I got an error on the Tivo. The PC showed the same error messages in the debug file as posted above.

BTW, as I said, this worked fine earlier this week with Tivo.net. It not only showed the vobs, but I could even watch them on the Tivo without a problem. So I'm pretty sure this is a problem with pyTivo.

Last edited by 1up : 05-06-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #447
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up
dlfl, thanks for the tips. The errors were originally thrown on both the Tivo & the PC. The Tivo said there was a problem & wouldn't show any of the files in the folder that contained the vobs. I then checked the PC & found the errors I posted above. After I joined the vobs into one large .mpg file and moved it into it's own directory, it showed up in the Tivo NPL (technically, just showing as available on the PC Server), but after trying to watch it I got an error on the Tivo. The PC showed the same error messages in the debug file as posted above.

BTW, as I said, this worked fine earlier this week with Tivo.net. It not only showed the vobs, but I could even watch them on the Tivo without a problem. So I'm pretty sure this is a problem with pyTivo.
OK, here's a theory:
The reason these files work on TDN is because it IS transcoding them. Although the specs used by pyTivo to define a TiVo compatible file are all met, there is still something about the VOB's that chokes the Tivo, so they need ffmpeg to re-encode (transcode) them.

So, let's test this -- if you're willing to insert three lines of code into transcode.py:

Code:
def tivo_compatable(inFile):
    suportedModes = [[720, 480], [704, 480], [544, 480], [480, 480], [352, 480]]
    type, width, height, fps, millisecs =  video_info(inFile)
    #print type, width, height, fps, millisecs

if (inFile[-4:]).lower() == '.vob':
        debug_write(['tivo_compatible: ', inFile, ' is .vob, will transcode\n'])
        return False

if (inFile[-5:]).lower() == '.tivo':
        debug_write(['tivo_compatible: ', inFile, ' ends with .tivo\n'])
        return True
The additional three lines are shown in blue. This is in function tivo_compatable () and I've included the lines before and after so you can orient yourself. Warning: Indentation is of critical importance in Python. The inserted "if" line should be indented exactly like the next "if" line. The two lines following the "if" line should be indented equally, i.e., 4 spaces more.

This will force pyTivo to transcode any file with a .vob extension. If my theory is correct, this will make your .vob's work OK with pyTiVo. (If not I'll give you a complete refund ).

and
Old 05-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #448
hakukaji

I have to say I love pyTivo. Im a HUGE fan of both python and Tivo I was wondering if you want/need any help. I've been programming in python for a few years now. I could try creating a gui in wxpython if you are interested. AWESOME JOB THOUGH!
hakukaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:42 AM   #449
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakukaji
I have to say I love pyTivo. Im a HUGE fan of both python and Tivo I was wondering if you want/need any help. I've been programming in python for a few years now. I could try creating a gui in wxpython if you are interested. AWESOME JOB THOUGH!
Help is always graciously accepted. Anything you want to contribute is more than welcome.

Kevin

Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #450
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakukaji
Help is always appreciated. Anything you want to contribute would be graciously accepted.

Kevin