TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #1501
windracer
joined the 10k club

Also check your Media Library on Amazon. It should show the status of any download being sent to your TiVo. I've successfully downloaded Unbox content to my TX20 in the past.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #1502
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Really? I'll have to try this while I have my SDH400 downstairs with access to a Progressive-capable TV!
When you try it, you need to put the SD-H400 in standby and then wake it up to have the switch take effect. At least, that's what I found with mine. I had it connected to a TV that does not like progressive. No signal on composite or s-video when progressive was turned on, and worked fine with it off, after cycling standby mode.

Also, on my RS-TX20, the screen for turning on progressive indictaes that it should only be used with component cables. Would definitely like to hear of any experience with it on using other connections.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #1503
ashu
User title defunct

Ummm - progressive (480p) only APPLIES to Component cables - the triumvirate of Red, Green and blue connectors on the back (of your SDH400 and TV) - just clarifynig that incase it wasn't.

In a relatively short run, you can use regular RCA cables (the kind you'd use for the Yellow Composite connectors, or the Red?White stereo audio connectors) to carry component info to the TV. The 3 cables ONLY carry video - audio still has to go over the Red/White or out on of the digital audio outs in back.

SVideo and Composite are limited to feeble represnetations of 480i subject to all manner of disturbance/interference etc (well, more composite than SVideo).

For more, read this Wiki article about Component and also the linked articles about Composite, SVideo etc ...

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #1504
Flyinace2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
It should work... You might have to call CS.

Your RS-TX is connected via ethernet and not phone, right?

Drew
Yup, usb ethernet adatper.
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #1505
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Ummm - progressive (480p) only APPLIES to Component cables - the triumvirate of Red, Green and blue connectors on the back (of your SDH400 and TV) - just clarifynig that incase it wasn't.

In a relatively short run, you can use regular RCA cables (the kind you'd use for the Yellow Composite connectors, or the Red?White stereo audio connectors) to carry component info to the TV. The 3 cables ONLY carry video - audio still has to go over the Red/White or out on of the digital audio outs in back.

SVideo and Composite are limited to feeble represnetations of 480i subject to all manner of disturbance/interference etc (well, more composite than SVideo).

For more, read this Wiki article about Component and also the linked articles about Composite, SVideo etc ...
I understand that. The observed behavior on my two SD-H400's is that if the switch is progressive, I do not get video out on composite or s-video. Learned this by accident when I moved one from an HDTV using component to a SD TV and didn't change the switch.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #1506
revoredo

I love TiVo and RS-TX60... I hate Setup Failure!

HELP!!!

I love this box. Sure, I'm enjoying HD on my Time Warner HD DVR... but I'll get a TiVo HD DVR soon enough.

However, nothing compares to how close TiVo is coming to integrating the access and immediacy of the internet with home entertainment. Too bad they have to depend on service providers... and too bad those service providers have to depend on content producers. If only everyone had their head in the game. We'd be surfing the net, buying and downloading movies, shopping and emailing all on our home TVs... all in HD.

But alas, we live in the real world where paranoid, old-school business leaders think with their heads up their arses.

Anyway, back to my point.

After my upgrade to HD, my Toshiba TS-TX60 moved to an analog cable line, but stayed connected to my home network via a USB network adapter. This worked beautifully and remained so... recently I found that it hadn't connected in a while due to a disconnected cable. I situated the box at another monitor and went through guided setup to reset the connection to non-box cable connection.

What do you know... although my RS-TX60 succeeds in connecting to TiVo for the setup download, it fails to connect when downloading the "program info."

In fact, it stays stuck at "preparing"... as in preparing connection... and never leaves. Each time, I have to disconnect the power to restart the process.

This has happened several times now. A call to TiVo led me to a useless TiVo support message assuring me that it could take up to 24 hours. B.S. I tried that using both the network adapter (broadband) connection AND dialup.

Damn.

2 hours. 8 hours. 24+ hours. It just doesn't work.

Corrupt? I doubt it, but what do I know.

TiVo seems to think it's a Toshiba problem, since they see records of successful connections during the first phase setup dial-in. Toshiba seems to think it's a TiVo server problem since the device connects properly during the first phase setup dial-in.

See what I'm dealing with here.

Tell me I'm not alone. I've seen this same post on a few other forums... but they've been abandoned without a solution. Where is a Guru when I need one.

HELP!!!

Thanks.
revoredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #1507
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoredo
HELP!!!

I love this box. Sure, I'm enjoying HD on my Time Warner HD DVR... but I'll get a TiVo HD DVR soon enough.

However, nothing compares to how close TiVo is coming to integrating the access and immediacy of the internet with home entertainment. Too bad they have to depend on service providers... and too bad those service providers have to depend on content producers. If only everyone had their head in the game. We'd be surfing the net, buying and downloading movies, shopping and emailing all on our home TVs... all in HD.

But alas, we live in the real world where paranoid, old-school business leaders think with their heads up their arses.

Anyway, back to my point.

After my upgrade to HD, my Toshiba TS-TX60 moved to an analog cable line, but stayed connected to my home network via a USB network adapter. This worked beautifully and remained so... recently I found that it hadn't connected in a while due to a disconnected cable. I situated the box at another monitor and went through guided setup to reset the connection to non-box cable connection.

What do you know... although my RS-TX60 succeeds in connecting to TiVo for the setup download, it fails to connect when downloading the "program info."

In fact, it stays stuck at "preparing"... as in preparing connection... and never leaves. Each time, I have to disconnect the power to restart the process.

This has happened several times now. A call to TiVo led me to a useless TiVo support message assuring me that it could take up to 24 hours. B.S. I tried that using both the network adapter (broadband) connection AND dialup.

Damn.

2 hours. 8 hours. 24+ hours. It just doesn't work.

Corrupt? I doubt it, but what do I know.

TiVo seems to think it's a Toshiba problem, since they see records of successful connections during the first phase setup dial-in. Toshiba seems to think it's a TiVo server problem since the device connects properly during the first phase setup dial-in.

See what I'm dealing with here.

Tell me I'm not alone. I've seen this same post on a few other forums... but they've been abandoned without a solution. Where is a Guru when I need one.

HELP!!!

Thanks.
Something is corrupt. What's worse is that most of the time, that type of corruption is caused by a bad hard drive. No guarantees that that is the cause of the problem, but more times than not, that is the case.

If you are up for doing a 'clear and delete everything' the problem *might* go away. If it does, the problem may re-emerge. If it doesn't, well, it is still tough to say without actually running diagnostics on the drive.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #1508
revoredo

RS-TX60 corruption you say! Stuck at "Preparing" a symptom of the worst?

Thanks...

You mean "that type of corruption" as in failing to download program info, even though I successfully connect to download the setup info?

I find it incredible that this is symptomatic of hard drive corruption, as opposed to ancillary component failure. I expected recording problems or artifacted recordings to indicate the eventual death of my drive. Even so, I suppose it makes as much sense as any other explanation. I'm just surprised there haven't been consistent and numerous posts elsewhere that point to just this type of failure.

Thanks for the input... then again, are you hocking DVRupgrade services?
I'd hate to think this advice was biased.

"Clearing and Deleting" the device is definitely an option I'd be willing to pursue, but as I mentioned, I can't escape the setup cycle... constantly having to power down when it fails. If there is any advice on bypass controls I'm not aware of, those would be tremendously helpful.

I'd even be interested in reimaging the drive... though I'm a tadpole in the pool of TiVo modders. I have hard drives I can work with, but I'll have to scour the forums for the best instructions.

Any further, more detailed advice would be appreciated. I'll start looking into replacement/upgrade options while I burn out my last threads of hope in setting up this TiVo.

Danke.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #1509
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Best recommendation... pull the drive and run diagnostics on it (you can download them from the manufacturer's web site). Run basic and advanced diagnostics on the drive (those are non-destructive). If you find something wrong, then you can seek the assistance of those who provide hockable services, or go the DIY route to take the next steps.

Most of the time, things like this are due to a bad drive. I don't have ESP, though - it could be something else. I'm just going by my experience, and what I can't recall is the last time I saw a problem like this that WASN'T a result of a bad hard drive, or a bad cable. Its just very rare for it not to be.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #1510
ashu
User title defunct

Google the Ultimate Boot CD - (boot from it and) use the diagnostics on it. Don't boot your system with your WinXP drive connected - there's a risk of Boot Record overwriting (on the TiVo disk, by XP, in it's infinite kindness)

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #1511
revoredo

I may as well pull the drive regardless... a diagnostic is the only way to be sure.

I may go DIY just for the experience... are most of the TiVo features imaged on the drive, or are they embedded in firmware?

Are TiVo and Toshiba just afraid of admitting that hard drives go bad? Why are they continuing with the charade that they don't have a clue what might be going on? What fun!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #1512
ashu
User title defunct

No one is afraid to admit anything. Hard drives DO go bad. Have you realized your labor/parts warranty on most hard-drive-included devices is normally only 3/12 months?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #1513
morgancva

Lifetime Tivo DVR with DVD

Help me please.

Best Buy has my TX20 and called me yesterday to say I was authorized for an exchange. (I think it's the HD.)

Tivo's site says that the lifetime can be transferred to a new box when it dies under the retailer's warranty. Anybody try this with any success?

I don't know what to do. Get another and transfer? Get the box back and try to fix it myself (hoping I can and hoping that BBuy didn't corrupt anything further)?

I don't see that they carry a Tivo with a DVD. If I get separate Tivo and dvd recorder units, can I still record shows from the Tivo HD to the dvd? Will it take an hour for an hour show, or will it be quicker to transfer (like it is on the TX20)?

Any suggestions on what I should get as a replacement?

I got a great deal on the TX20 and I figure BBuy will only exchange what I paid versus what it was worth (I bought it open box on Black Friday and stood in line for a couple of hours to pay, then I paid for the lifetime upgrade beyond Basic - so it's not like "my good deal" didn't come at a price).

I'd really appreciate the help. I miss Tivo. I got hooked with a good deal . . . now it's starting to look like it was just just temporary. Thanks, CM
morgancva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #1514
azitnay

I believe TiVo's lifetime transfer policy for warranty exchanges technically only applies if the unit is replaced with the exact same model... So, if Best Buy can dig you up an RS-TX20, you should be fine, but if not, you might have to call TiVo and see if they can do anything for you. Definitely don't just let the lifetime go; if it comes down to it, replace the hard drive yourself (it's not too hard).

If you do somehow end up with a standard TiVo unit, you can use it in conjunction with a standalone DVD recorder... However, it'll be an analog transfer instead of the digital transfer you're used to with the RS-TX20 (i.e. you'll essentially just be playing on the TiVo and recording on the DVD recorder), so it'll take the entire length of the program.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #1515
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Another option is to use TiVo Desktop + a wifi network to transfer it to a PC with a DVD burner. It's slightly faster than a real time copy to a stand alone DVD recorder.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #1516
ashu
User title defunct

Best Buy *may* give you a dsicount on a current TiVo (DT or even S3) equivalent to the cost of your Toshiba ... in which case TiVo will (should!) allow you (only this once) to transfer Lifetime!

I'm QUITE sure this has happened to someone else whose TiVo died not too long ago

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #1517
morgancva

Thank you all very much. I'll post back when this progresses. CM
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #1518
morgancva

Smile TX20 Dead at Best Buy

The answering machine had a message from Best Buy that says there are no more units like the one I have, and that replacement parts are not being manufactured anymore, so they'll give me a store credit for the purchase price.

While that sounds decent (if TiVo will transfer the lifetime subscription), I am skeptical about what I can get versus what I had.

For that matter, I am skeptical about getting the box back (and not getting anything for the trouble) because I am concerned that it may have more wrong with it than I can fix even with the help available here and elsewhere on the web.

Are TiVos with DVDs made anymore? I liked the rapid copy from the HD to DVD. I'm ignorant when it comes to TiVo Desktop, and frankly am not too keen about using my computer to do what my box did. (Does TiVo "reach out and touch" the PC, or does the PC run isolated from TiVo in the outside world?)

I get my signal from cable; I'm not yet paying for digital or High Def . . . does the kind of TiVo box care? Should I at this point if I am going to eventually make the switch?

What's special about the Series 3?

Thanks, CM
Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #1519
windracer
joined the 10k club

What's actually wrong with it? It could just be a dead hard drive, which is easily replaced (and you keep your lifetime service).

|
Old 05-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #1520
azitnay

I doubt any TiVo/DVD combos are being manufactured any more... They're getting harder and harder to find.

If Best Buy will let you attempt to repair it yourself, and still give you the option of a refund afterwards, I'd do that. Like windracer said, hard drives are the most common problem, and they're easily replaced. If you succeed, you've lost nothing (except perhaps the recordings and settings on the original drive).

I'm not quite sure what you're asking regarding the PC, but essentially, you run TiVo Desktop on the PC, which has the ability to transfer shows from the TiVo to the PC. It's in a DRM-encrypted format at first, so you either have the option of using the supported method of DVD burning, which is Sonic MyDVD, or stripping the DRM using various widely-available tools to convert it to a standard MPEG, which can be burned by practically any DVD burning software.

The Series3 is special in that it's the only non-DirecTV HD TiVo... Obviously, it's not a huge improvement if you don't yet have an HDTV, but if and when you get one, it'll become more and more of a necessity. The price has come down from $800 to $400 since it first came out, but unfortunately the lifetime transfer option has expired. Given your situation, though, you might be able to talk TiVo into allowing you to transfer your lifetime subscription to a new Series3, which would be a pretty killer deal. You would, of course, lose the ability to directly burn DVD's, and TiVoToGo isn't an option on the Series3 yet, but if you succeed in getting your RS-TX20 functional again, you could always use it in TiVo Basic mode to record only shows you know you want to burn.

Drew
Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #1521
morgancva

Sorry, I'm illiterate on how to make quotes so I need to do it the old fashioned way. This is what I originally posted . . .

"TX20 playback pause fits and what can I expect please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am new here. My TX20 is about 2 1/2 years old. I'm getting the "pause n' play fits" during playback during a recorded show and during live TV that hasn't caught up to real time. Also have had a couple of screens freeze after hitting stop.

From what I gather here, this is likely the start of a dying HD although I did see a post that said they still got them after a replacement HD (didn't yet find further responses but I am curious).

It's still under a Best Buy extended warranty. They tell me they have to ship it out to the manufacturer per agreements and it'll take a couple of weeks.

I've read a couple of posts about a similar situation where the unit was still not happy after a couple of returns; I did not see an end result if they tried again. Any insight as to what I should expect?

I have also gathered that our power outtage a couple of days ago may have been the culprit, and that a UPS might help condition the power. If I lose power while I'm not at home, will the UPS offer a "nicer" shutdown and startup or am I only buying an hour to shutdown the TIVO if I can get to it? Also, I'm seeing a lot of cost in most UPSs; any good advice as to what I should afford would be appreciated.

Thanks very much."

I didn't get any feedback and after a couple of days the unit got stuck in a "fix a serious problem, powering up, almost there, GSOD" loop. I tired to force a Clear & Delete based on what I read here but I couldn't get anything to change (many many tries). It was under an extended warranty I paid for, so I went ahead and took it back to Best Buy.

Regarding my recent post, I'm sure that Best Buy would be happy for me to take the box back because if I open it up, it'd end the warranty and they'd be off the hook. But it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway I guess. Further, according to the TiVo site, TiVo will only do a lifetime transfer only if the unit is returned under a retailer warranty so if I want the lifetime on a new unit, I have to return the old one under the Best Buy warranty.

Somebody here offered up Desktop as an alternative to a unit with a DVD recorder to rapidly copy a show (a feature I will miss). I'm not thrilled about having to use my PC to do what my TX did (not too convenient). And what I was trying to ask is when you use Desktop, how invasive is TiVo when installed on my PC (will TiVo call my PC in the middle of the night; does TiVo collect info from my PC like it does with my watching habits; paranoid stuff like that)?

I'm in a stinky situation but this is all helping me figure the least-of-all-evils way out.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it. CM
Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #1522
azitnay

It sounds to me like replacing the hard drive would almost certainly fix your GSOD loop problem. No guarantees, of course.

TiVo Desktop doesn't really do anything special that would involve contacting the mothership... It's really just there as a way to get stuff onto and off of the TiVo itself.

Drew
Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #1523
tivosohn

I just upgrade from a Toshiba SD-H400 to a TS-RX20. But I can't believe they actually dropped the damn "Power On/Off" button from the remote! This sucks, that means now everytime I want to put the unit to standby mode, I will have to go to the menu screen, then select the StandBy selection, then select it. I noticed they have the "TV Power" button. Is there a way for us to make that to become my "Tivo Power" button?
tivosohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #1524
windracer
joined the 10k club

No, but there is a discrete IR code for Standby, so if you have a programmable remote (like a Harmony) you can program a button to use that Standby code (you can't do that with the peanut remote though).

There's also a Standby button on the front of the unit if you don't mind getting up.

|
Old 05-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #1525
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgancva
Somebody here offered up Desktop as an alternative to a unit with a DVD recorder to rapidly copy a show (a feature I will miss). I'm not thrilled about having to use my PC to do what my TX did (not too convenient). And what I was trying to ask is when you use Desktop, how invasive is TiVo when installed on my PC (will TiVo call my PC in the middle of the night; does TiVo collect info from my PC like it does with my watching habits; paranoid stuff like that)?
I understand what you mean about using the PC to do what you paid for on your TiVo, but if you replace the RS-TX with a non DVD TiVo then transferring to the PC is pretty much the fastest way to burn to DVD. Otherwise you could connect it to a standalone DVD recorder and record the entire program in real time which means you won't be able to watch anything on the TiVo while you are recording to DVD. With the TiVo Desktop and TiVo To Go, transferring (only over a wifi network, BTW) programs to a PC is done in the background. Thus, you can still use the TiVo for as you normally would.

As for the TiVo and your computer whispering to each other about you behind your back... What you don't realize is that they already do that. You see that little TiVo guy on the front of the unit? Yeah. He's watching everything you do. He uses those little antennae on his head to communicate with the NSA, CIA, and FBI. Actually, one antennae communicates to them. The other scans your computer while simultaneously listening to your cell phone and cordless phone conversations. The best thing to do is take a little strip of duct tape and cover him up. This interferes with his little antennae and blinds him. That will give you a few minutes until the NSA, CIA, and FBI realize what's going on and scramble to come get you.

Actually, no, I don't think they communicate to each other until you start and use the program. You have to tell it when to transfer a program. And you decide whether or not the software is even running or not. Not to mention, you can use TiVo Desktop and TiVo To Go to stream music and photos from your computer to your TiVo. Plus, it's free.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #1526
morgancva

Thanks for the info. Which antenae do I need to cover up?

Am I correct that a Series 3 does not have the capability to link to a PC?

Thanks, CM
Old 05-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #1527
azitnay

Yep, no transferring at all for the Series3 yet... Hopefully some day.

Drew
Old 05-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #1528
tivosohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
No, but there is a discrete IR code for Standby, so if you have a programmable remote (like a Harmony) you can program a button to use that Standby code (you can't do that with the peanut remote though).

There's also a Standby button on the front of the unit if you don't mind getting up.
There's a discrete IR code for that feature? Can you please me the link to it? I do have a programmable remote which I can use my PC to program it.

Regarding the power button on the front. It's kinda sucks to crawl out of the blanket at night to put it in standby mode.
tivosohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #1529
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivosohn
There's a discrete IR code for that feature? Can you please me the link to it? I do have a programmable remote which I can use my PC to program it.
I know the code is in Harmony's database if you have one of their remotes. Otherwise I think you need a remote with the Standby button so your existing remote can "learn" the code.

If your remote supports macros, another option would be to create a macro that puts the TiVo in Standby by using the menu option.

|
Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #1530
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgancva
Thanks for the info. Which antenae do I need to cover up?
Dude, you HAVE to cover both of them. If you don't, you'll just make him angry. You won't like him when he's angry.

9/11/01... Never Forget.