TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #391
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
Finally got my "Spring" update last night and sure enough -- subfolders are broken in pyTiVo.

If you check out the timeline in the wiki you see that Armooo has been attacking this problem and in fact has a version of video.py checked in (Changeset 192) that does seem to handle one level of subfolders -- but note his other comments about it, and it hasn't been included in a "release" download.

I downloaded this version of video.py and put it in my pyTiVo 187 installation. It did handle one level of subfolders (I don't have any 2-level subs).

Thanks Armooo!
You mind to give a how-to on that?

I did the obvouis of replacing the file that came in the 187 install with the one that was in the zip file 192 found in the changes page and restarted the computer now i can still see the folder's in the NPL like before but cannot see what is in them it is blank. And so is one folder i have that has no sub folder's just files.

Everything worked perfect before the 8.3

I have a link called Movies which is just files - blank
One called TV Show's - Show's subfolder name of the show but nothing inside.
One Called Internet Downloads - Has aroun 10 different folders with stuff in them all blank now.

The 187 showed everything that wasnt in a folder which was only my Movies folder after i got the 8.3 and before the 8.3 everything showed and worked.
Tobashadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #392
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobashadow
You mind to give a how-to on that?
OK Quick howto to patch pyTivo for 8.3.

Download a new copy of video.py and place it in the plugins/video folder. Replace the old one. And restart pyTivo.

Here is the link to the new one video.py version 192

Known issues with this patch:
It will only go one folder deep. This isnt much of a fix. So it can open a pyTivo server from the NPL list and then go one more folder deep beyond that. But if you have another folder beyond that it wont be able to handle it.

I know that armooo is working on this, and I will put in a few hours on the 4th to hopefully put an end to this new glitch that TiVo has created.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #393
Airey001

I am new to pyTivo, I trying to move over to it from Tivo.Net. However I am having issues with pyTivo adding black bars (Buffers). There are 2 issue with this one i think is just how pyTivo work and the other can't figure out. I have 2 Tivos first a standard 2.5 series unit and and a DVD Tivo, both are connected to widescreen HDTV's.

This first one i think is the way pyTivo works however being new to it I am unsure.
I have a few files that are 4:3 formated when i transfer them with pyTivo they get these buffers going up the sides. Now i know with Tivo.Net I had to option to reconfigure files to the format i prefered. I can't stand watching them with the bars so i set them to be 16:9 and they strech to fill the whole screen. I don't see anything like this with pyTivo, and don't think it is possible yet.

The second issue is I have videos that are encoded at 16:9 format and they also are getting the black bars up and down the side and the picture seems to be compressed into 4:3?

I beleive i have the configuration set up correct and the aspect ratio on the Tivo is set to 16:9 so i am confused on this second one?

Code:
[Server]
port=9132

ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg

width=720
height=480

#Bed Room Tivo - Series2 - 200 GB
[_tivo_565############]
aspect169=true

#Living Room Tivo - Series2 - 120 GB
[_tivo_540############]
aspect169=true

[My Movies]
type=video
path=/Data_Drive/Tivo_Media_Library/Videos/

[My Music]
type=music
path=/Data_Drive/Tivo_Media_Library/Music/

Can any one help me out or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

PS:

Its possible it maybe the way I encoded these files. I have been using the goback feature as a DVD on demand service. Up untill recently i was ripping my dvd's vob file and renaming it mpg since the tivos can play that data. But i started to use dvd::rip to convert the files to xvid to save hard drive space.

The videos look good when displayed on the PC so i am not sure.

Server with
and
services

I am really missing Tivo OS 8.1 right now. Most stuff worked with it!

Last edited by Airey001 : 05-01-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Airey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #394
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airey001
I can't stand watching them with the bars so i set them to be 16:9 and they strech to fill the whole screen. I don't see anything like this with pyTivo, and don't think it is possible yet.

The second issue is I have videos that are encoded at 16:9 format and they also are getting the black bars up and down the side and the picture seems to be compressed into 4:3?
First your config file looks good, i dont think we have any issues there.

1. Stretching 4:3 to 16:9. No pyTivo doesnt do this. IMHO I dont think this should be a "feature" in pyTivo. I would assume that you can just stretch 4:3 video using the settings on your TV as if it was a broadcast 4:3 image.

2. Your 16:9 videos being compressed to 4:3 format. That is strange. Can you enable the debug feature for me??

Steps:
1. Stop pyTivo
2. Edit pyTivo.conf and insert the following line under the server settings:
debug=true
3. Start pyTivo
4. Play one of the videos that you think should be in 16:9 format but is being compressed to 4:3, you can stop the transfer after the first few seconds.
5. Stop pyTivo
6. Remove the debug line from the config file
7. Post the debug.txt file from the base directory as an attachment to a post here.

Kevin

Old 05-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #395
Airey001

Thanks for you help!

I assume you are looking for this part of the debug file. Though the whole thing is attached.

Code:
select_aspect: File= /Data_Drive/Tivo_Media_Library/Videos//DVD's/A_NIGHT_AT_THE_MUSEUM_D1_WS-001.avi  Type= mpeg4  width= 720  height= 480  fps= 23.98  millisecs= 6515400  ratio= 150  rheight= 2  rwidth= 3 
select_aspect: 16:9 aspect allowed, file is narrower than 16:9 padding left and right
 -aspect 16:9 -s 606x480 -padleft 56 -padright 58
I don't understand why it tells me the file is 720x480 then later on tells me it is only 606x480 and needs to pad it.

If i open this avi file in xine or mplay it states the file is 720x480. Also if i take a screen shot from xine the pic it produces is 720x480.

Also i am not using the newer video.py file for the 8.3 subfolder issue it is crashing my Tivo when i try to view files info.

Thanks Again!
Attached Files
File Type: txt debug.txt (7.2 KB, 4 views)

Server with
and
services

I am really missing Tivo OS 8.1 right now. Most stuff worked with it!
Airey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #396
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Thanks for you help!
I don't understand why it tells me the file is 720x480 then later on tells me it is only 606x480 and needs to pad it.

If i open this avi file in xine or mplay it states the file is 720x480. Also if i take a screen shot from xine the pic it produces is 720x480.
Well shoot!

Well you have a problem that I have discussed for a while but have not come across yet. Read this page for a description of what is occuring.

The problem is ffmpeg cannot read the DAR as thus we have no way to know if you have non-square pixels. Most computer videos have square pixles, even the ones that are transcoded from DVDs.

The only solution I can tell you right now is to transcode your videos using square pixels. I do however suspect videophiles will tell you that your way is better for preserving image quaility. Although I can say I can't see the difference.

Actually, here if you want you can alter your script with the following. This will take any video with the dimensions of a DVD and assume it is 16:9. However, I must warn you that if you come across another video out there that is 720x480 and is not 16:9 it will look funny.

Find this in plugins/video/transcode.py
Code:
    elif ((rwidth, rheight) in [(16, 9), (20, 11), (40, 33), (118, 81), (59, 27)]) and aspect169:
        debug_write(['select_aspect: File is within 16:9 list and 16:9 allowed.\n'])
        return ['-aspect', '16:9', '-s', str(TIVO_WIDTH) + 'x' + str(TIVO_HEIGHT)]
    else:
        settings = []
And replace it with this:
Code:
    elif ((rwidth, rheight) in [(16, 9), (20, 11), (40, 33), (118, 81), (59, 27)]) and aspect169:
        debug_write(['select_aspect: File is within 16:9 list and 16:9 allowed.\n'])
    elif (width=720) and (height=480) and aspect169:
        debug_write(['select_aspect: File is 720x480 forcing 16:9, this is a HACK.\n'])
    else:
        settings = []
That should do what you want.

Kevin

EDIT
The more I think about that edit the less I am thrilled with it. A resolution of 720x480 can be either 4:3 or 16:9. Thus I really don't recommend using the above edit.

Last edited by KRKeegan : 05-01-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Rethinking idea.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:03 PM   #397
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Thanks for you help!

I assume you are looking for this part of the debug file. Though the whole thing is attached.

Code:
select_aspect: File= /Data_Drive/Tivo_Media_Library/Videos//DVD's/A_NIGHT_AT_THE_MUSEUM_D1_WS-001.avi  Type= mpeg4  width= 720  height= 480  fps= 23.98  millisecs= 6515400  ratio= 150  rheight= 2  rwidth= 3 
select_aspect: 16:9 aspect allowed, file is narrower than 16:9 padding left and right
 -aspect 16:9 -s 606x480 -padleft 56 -padright 58

Also i am not using the newer video.py file for the 8.3 subfolder issue it is crashing my Tivo when i try to view files info.

Thanks Again!
For another take on aspect ratio see this link..

If you want your xvid avi's to be handled correctly by pyTivo, encode them to a format that matches the aspect ratio you want, e.g., 640x480 for 4:3 or 640x360 for 16:9 (This is equivalent to KRKeegan's advice to use "square pixels".) You can use larger or smaller numbers as long as the ratio stays the same and it's advisable to make both numbers multiples of 4. Do not be concerned with matching the xvid encoding dimensions either to the height or width of your input DVD, mpeg2 or VOB files -- doesn't matter. If your encoding software has DAR signaling in it you should set the DAR to 4:3 or 16:9 as desired (or set pixel aspect ratio PAR to 1:1). However pyTivo won't read either of these, it has to assume the DAR based on the dimensions you encoded to.

Your Night at Museum xvid is encoded to 720x480 which pyTivo, having no other information, assumes means a DAR of 720:480 (i.e., square pixels) or 3:2 or 1.5. You have configured to display at 16:9 or 1.77. Thus your video isn't wide enough for 16:9 and pyTivo thus inserts the black sidebars. The encoding dimension from ffmpeg is 720x480 because that's what you've configured. The 720 is ths sum of the 608 plus the padleft and padright values. But it would be 720x480 whether you were encoding for 4:3 or 16:9 display. FFmpeg is putting the DAR value into the encoded mpeg2 stream and TiVo uses this to know whether the 720 width gets spread across 853 pixels (for 16:9) or across 640 pixels (for 4:3). (Note square pixels are not being used in either case.)

For your 720x480 DVD (mpeg2 or vob) pyTivo sources, you have to set the aspect169 and your TiVo display aspect to whatever your TV is (16:9 in your case I think.) I agree with KRKeegan that I would not want pyTivo to stretch a 4:3 video just to avoid the black side-bars on a 16:9 display.

This stuff is hard to explain -- ,and even worse maybe I don't really understand it myself!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #398
ocntscha

8.3 suggestion

This is really directed at armoo, krkeegan, and/or anyone else who might be trying to code up a work around to the 8.3 problem.

Surely you guys have at least considered having pyTivo just export a flat listing of files ala Tivo Desktop. I'm curious what your guys thinking on that is?

My two cents worth on the topic would be, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. It ought to be possible to impliment a 100% glitch free flat file listing considering Tivo Desktop does. While certainly not as functional as folders it would completely remove the one and only rough edge pyTivo has. Even under 8.2 the user had to use any of several tricks with her remote control to work around folder display problems. I think it might be best to just forego folders in the interest of making pyTivo 100% polished all the way around. Yes, it would be a little less functional, but then there would be no glitches with it what so ever. I suspect making it that polished an application would make it appealing to all sorts of Tivo owners, not just the computer geeks.

Now don't get me wrong, if you guys can pull off a nice glitch free folder implimentation then I'm all for it. Or, if its not possible to impliment folders without quirks, then maybe a configuration option flat=yes or flat=no. Flat=yes, the default, would yield a flat but glitch free listing. flat=no would let the user select an "experimental" folders option.

One more thing, suppose you guys do code up some kind of genius work around for 8.3 problems, there's no guaruntee that no sooner will you be done coding it up than Tivo will roll out an 8.3a and muck everything up again. If you code pyTivo to be equivalent to Tivo Desktop "on the wire" then you shouldn't have to worry to much about Tivo OS releases breaking things.

Last edited by ocntscha : 05-01-2007 at 11:10 PM.
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #399
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan
OK Quick howto to patch pyTivo for 8.3.

Download a new copy of video.py and place it in the plugins/video folder. Replace the old one. And restart pyTivo.

Here is the link to the new one video.py version 192

Known issues with this patch:
It will only go one folder deep. This isnt much of a fix. So it can open a pyTivo server from the NPL list and then go one more folder deep beyond that. But if you have another folder beyond that it wont be able to handle it.

I know that armooo is working on this, and I will put in a few hours on the 4th to hopefully put an end to this new glitch that TiVo has created.

Kevin

Well i guess i offical mucked my install of PyTivo since even after doing the above i have no change.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:17 AM   #400
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Well i guess i offical mucked my install of PyTivo since even after doing the above i have no change.
Yeah. I was using the Ver. 192 video.py for the partial subfolder fix. It navigates the subfolders (one level down) OK but when I try to actually transcode a video from that level it reboots my TiVo! Tried it twice to be sure, then reverted to the Ver. 187 (same as 191) video.py. Then was able to navigate to the same video and transcode it, but of course the subfolders were no longer accessible after that one shot.

Went back to ver. 192 video.py again to see if choosing a different subfolder video made a difference and now it won't even navigate to the subfolders -- just says they are empty or not available. Seems like the TiVo is remembering subfolders that were tried before and flagging them as unavailable.

Looks like no subfolders for now at least.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 05-02-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #401
Tobashadow

I may try 187 again and see if i can recover some use for now
Old 05-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #402
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I may try 187 again and see if i can recover some use for now
You can define separate shares for subfolders of other shared folders. Tedious but does allow you to show contents of your subfolders without having to move files. Shortcuts to either folders or individual videos do not work however.

@ocntscha:
Do you mean have all the files in subfolders of a share show up as a combined flat listing for that share on the NPL? That might be worthwhile.

and
Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #403
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocntscha
Surely you guys have at least considered having pyTivo just export a flat listing of files ala Tivo Desktop. I'm curious what your guys thinking on that is?
Let me first apologize to everyone out there who is having issues. I am also having the same problems and I truly do apologize for failing to fix it yet.

To quickly address the issue. This is a bug in TiVo. This is some coder making a mistake in fixing something. I don't believe that TiVo intended to stop our subfolder functionality. If they had intended to do that they could have done it in a much more blatant manner.

To that end. I think subfolders are extremely helpful, I am sure some of you have tens if not hundreds of videos to sort.

Rest assured this can and will be fixed. On friday I can put in a solid day of effort into this and I think I should be able to come up with a solution.

The patch in 192 that some people have been using still has a lot of bugs and this is why it has not been released in a current form.

Again I apologize for the issues and hopefully we can solve them for you soon.

Kevin

Old 05-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #404
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:

Now don't get me wrong, if you guys can pull off a nice glitch free folder implimentation then I'm all for it. Or, if its not possible to impliment folders without quirks, then maybe a configuration option flat=yes or flat=no. Flat=yes, the default, would yield a flat but glitch free listing. flat=no would let the user select an "experimental" folders option.

If you want glitch free, just put all your videos in one folder, or create multiple shares, each with just one folder, and you'll have glitch free operation.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #405
ocntscha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
@ocntscha:
Do you mean have all the files in subfolders of a share show up as a combined flat listing for that share on the NPL? That might be worthwhile.
Yes, that is how TivoDesktop + does it. You can have folders and shortcuts to folders and folders inside of folders inside your "My Tivo Recordings" folder which is what TivoDesktop+ shares out.

But then when you sit down in front of your Tivo, use your remote control to navigate to whats being shared out by TivoDesktop+, all the video files anywhere in that entire tree will just be listed there at the root level and there are no folders listed on the Tivo at all.

Yes, thats certainly far from ideal, particularly if you have a lot of video files, but that's how Tivo Desktop + does it and therefore ought to be completely emulable.

Apparently KR thinks he can make folders work though, so more power to him. Obviously a functioning folder implimentation would be the best if it can be pulled off.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #406
TreborPugly
Unreal!

A couple of questions unrelated to the folder problems with 8.3:

1. Is is possible to adjust the descriptors of files you transfer to the Tivo to have more info, or even the same "series" name so they will get put into "folders" on the Now Playing list once they've been transfered?
2. Is it possible for shows sent to the Tivo to be "Kidzoneable?" Currently, you can't put anything you've transfered from your computer into the Kid Zone.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #407
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
A couple of questions unrelated to the folder problems with 8.3:
1. Is is possible to adjust the descriptors of files you transfer to the Tivo to have more info, or even the same "series" name so they will get put into "folders" on the Now Playing list once they've been transfered?
2. Is it possible for shows sent to the Tivo to be "Kidzoneable?" Currently, you can't put anything you've transfered from your computer into the Kid Zone.
1. Yes it is "possible" but, no pyTivo doesn't support this yet. This is something I really want to add, but have not been able to do yet.

2. Umm, I don't know the answer to this. Maybe??? I have not used this feature at all.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #408
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Kid zone can be useful even if you don't have kids, but have visiting non-Tivo people with unsupervised access to your Tivo. When it is in Kid Zone, they can't stop recordings, or delete your shows.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #409
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Can someone who is both a kidzone and ttg user answer something for me? If you transfer back normal "*.tivo" recordings via Tivodesktop, can you then add them to kidzone? What I'm wondering is if pyTiVo sent the rating field(and/or some other 'magic' field(s)), would the tivo react differently with respect to kidzone?
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #410
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
Can someone who is both a kidzone and ttg user answer something for me? If you transfer back normal "*.tivo" recordings via Tivodesktop, can you then add them to kidzone? What I'm wondering is if pyTiVo sent the rating field(and/or some other 'magic' field(s)), would the tivo react differently with respect to kidzone?
Yes, normal .tivo files work. I think it needs the meta-data contained in the .tivo file.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4115161
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #411
johnkfisher

Exclamation Subfolders are the ONLY reason I use pytivo

Quote:
To that end. I think subfolders are extremely helpful, I am sure some of you have tens if not hundreds of videos to sort.
I have Thousands. Subfolders are the ONLY reason I use pytivo. I don't need its transcoding (or whatever the term is) functionality. It's neat, in theory, and maybe one day I won't have the space to maintain two trees of original format and tivo format, but for now I use VisualHub to 'tivo-ize' my files in advance, and am very happy with that.

If pytivo drops multiple folder support, I drop pytivo. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to those who maintain it, and they have every right to decide what they do and don't support. And I understand that this is Tivo's screwup and am more than willing to take occasional 'outages' such as this in stride as part and parcel of using non-official programs. I just wanted to put an opposing view out there about this. -- As long as there is no official way to have multiple folders served from a Macintosh, I'll be looking elsewhere for that functionality, and that is why I use pytivo which has done this job beautifully for me in the past, and hopefully will again soon.
johnkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #412
ocntscha

Quote:
I've been banging around on Solaris 10 x86 this weekend, trying to learn more about it. Figured something fun to try would be running pyTivo on it.

Unfortunately I'm stuck. It starts fine, and I can see it in Tivo's Now Playing List. But then attempting to "go into it" on the Tivo immediately results in an uknown error on the Tivo side and the following on the Solaris side.

Help.

Thanks,
ocntscha
Maybe bad form to reply to my own post but for the record I've got pyTivo going on Solaris now, works as flawlessly as on Linux. Problem was I was using a very old ffmpeg and the output off ffmpeg -i is a bit different than the current ffmpeg. I'll probably add a Solaris section to the wiki in the days to come.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:10 AM   #413
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Maybe bad form to reply to my own post but for the record I've got pyTivo going on Solaris now, works as flawlessly as on Linux. Problem was I was using a very old ffmpeg and the output off ffmpeg -i is a bit different than the current ffmpeg. I'll probably add a Solaris section to the wiki in the days to come.
Yeah this is a major problem with using ffmpeg in my opinion.

It annoys me that they change so much of the output and even the command inputs so often. It is an amazing piece of software but I just wish they would make the interface more consistent.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:18 AM   #414
Tobashadow

Quote:
Would that stop the files from listing?

I installed 182 when it came out using the windows installer and ran it up till 8.3 bit me in the A$$ then i manualy updated it to 187 and i now have that error. But i moved over the ffmpeg that was in the folder but off hand im not sure if that is what it is using.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #415
ocntscha

Quote:
Yeah this is a major problem with using ffmpeg in my opinion.

It annoys me that they change so much of the output and even the command inputs so often. It is an amazing piece of software but I just wish they would make the interface more consistent.
Well frequently changing the command inputs is hard to excuse. But as far as the ouput of -i changing around.. the authors of ffmpeg may have only figured it was for human eyes and not have considered that someone may want to automate parsing of that information and make use of it as you guys have. It might be worth the time to contact the ffmpeg folks, tell them what you guys have done and ask them to please leave the ffmpeg -i output alone.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #416
ocntscha

Quote:
It did for me.
Quote:
I installed 182 when it came out using the windows installer and ran it up till 8.3 bit me in the A$$ then i manualy updated it to 187 and i now have that error. But i moved over the ffmpeg that was in the folder but off hand im not sure if that is what it is using.
If I'm understanding correctly you moved the ffmpeg from the 182 folder to the 187 folder, if thats what you did I'd say that ought to almost certainly work, I doubt your accidentally using some old version of ffmpeg because I don't think it searches your path for an ffmpeg, I think it just uses the ffmpeg that's specified in pyTivo.conf so unless you accidentally specified some old version of ffmpeg in there I think you've got some other issue.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #417
MacBrian

Big Grin New pyTivo user

Just got pyTivo operational last night on a garage-sale eMachines PC so I can easily watch podcast videos downloaded via iTunes.

pyTivo is AWESOME! It's one of the few HME things I've tried that actually works for me! I was disappointed about the sub-folders thing, but I rather like having the individual shares showing up in Now Playing.

Just one wish -- after I'm done watching a podcast video, I delete the streamed video file transferred to Now Playing and would also like to be able to delete the video file on the PC from the Tivo interface. Otherwise, I have to remember to go back to the PC and manually delete the files I've watched -- which is sure to be a problem with my faulty biological RAM.

Anyone else have this or a similar need to remove video files that aren't intended to be kept?
MacBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #418
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

I'm curious what version of ffmpeg you are using?

I assume you know the ffmpeg.exe or ffmpeg_mp2.exe you are using is the one specified by the ffmpeg= line in your pyTivo.conf file (?).

To find out what version of ffmpeg (sometimes renamed to ffmpeg_mp2) you are using just start a command window, log it to the folder containing the program and enter the command: " ffmpeg -i dud " (or "ffmpeg_mp2 -i dud" ).
The version # is the first thing that will display.

The version currently distributed with pyTivo is 8047. Here is the site where you can download many Windows versions of ffmpeg (including 8047). These files are in 7z (7-zip) compressed format. You can get the free 7-zip program here. It's very well behaved and integrates with Windows explorer so you can right-click a file to get to it. A side benefit is this program also expands .rar files, frequently used to distribute free programs.

Note there is a .dll file "pthreadGC2.dll" that needs to be in the same folder (or on the path) with ffmpeg ver. 8047 (and for many other versions). This is distributed with pyTivo also, and I don't think it changes very often. If you run ffmpeg and it needs the .dll file and can't find it, it will give you a message to that effect. This .dll is actually downloadable from the parent directory of the ffmpeg download page if you need it.

and
Old 05-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #419
Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoBrian
Just one wish -- after I'm done watching a podcast video, I delete the streamed video file transferred to Now Playing and would also like to be able to delete the video file on the PC from the Tivo interface. Otherwise, I have to remember to go back to the PC and manually delete the files I've watched -- which is sure to be a problem with my faulty biological RAM.

Anyone else have this or a similar need to remove video files that aren't intended to be kept?
I just use the iTunes setting to only keep one podcast per show on my computer at any one time. It automatically deletes an old one when a new one becomes available.

Since most of the files tend to have an episode number or a date in the file name (and there's only one file there to begin with!), going into those files in Now Playing makes it pretty easy to figure out when something is new.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #420
Tobashadow

Verison i have is 8047