TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #1621
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Well, one of my cards decided to stop decoding encrypted channels. I have a guy coming back tomorrow to swap it out...
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #1622
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaran
Question about the A/B system in Dallas w/ a S3. I'm confused by the previous posters on the subject. Are they trying to hookup analog cable or does the A/B split still apply to a digital cablecard setup?
The digital channels are above 115 on the A side of the cable, but not all channels are available digitally. Analog channels like TCM, FX, and the History Channel are not available on the A side of the cable, only the B. The set top box Time Warner supplies connects to both sides and remaps the B channels.

The S3 TiVo only connects to the A side, so the channels on the B side are not available to it.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #1623
cokyq

I did not realize parts of the DFW area are still using A/B. Here in the midcities we do not, neither does Grapevine.
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Sony PS3 (Blu-Ray Player - NOW UPSCALES DVDs!!!)
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #1624
Greywacke99

ESPNHD via TWC LA ch. 425?

Its been reported over on AVS that Los Angeles area TWC subscribers should now be getting ESPN2HD on ch. 425. Have any LA TWC S3 users been able to tune in this channel? All I get is a TWC screen saying that a "Digital Receiver" is required to view this channel along with advertisements for the SA 8300. I don't think it's a SDV issue b/c according to an LA TWC employee that posts on AVS, there are no immediate plans to bring SDV to the area.
Greywacke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #1625
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywacke99
Its been reported over on AVS that Los Angeles area TWC subscribers should now be getting ESPN2HD on ch. 425. Have any LA TWC S3 users been able to tune in this channel? All I get is a TWC screen saying that a "Digital Receiver" is required to view this channel along with advertisements for the SA 8300. I don't think it's a SDV issue b/c according to an LA TWC employee that posts on AVS, there are no immediate plans to bring SDV to the area.
Thanks for the heads up! L.A. area TWC'er over here. I wasn't aware of this channel. I just tuned in, and it's looking great!

Also good to hear that the LA TWC employee says there are no immediate SDV plans for this area. That makes me rest easier... at least for now.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #1626
Ian
TBLBITW

Good CC install from TWC NY yesterday

Hi all-

Just got HD cable and an S3, my setup appointment was yesterday.

Time Warner cable guy came in the first half of the setup window and knew exactly how to set up the TiVo - says he's done quite a few recently.

The visit took 1.5 hours because of the time it took for the CC's to update firmware and initialize, but so far, so good!

-Ian
Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 AM   #1627
Ian
TBLBITW

Another thing... should I worry about SDV?

Hi again-

Now that I've just spend tons of cash on an upgraded S3, based on what I've been reading elsewhere on these boards, should I be worried about SDV?

Or are us NYC Time Warner users safe enough for the time being?

Any advice would be helpful - thanks!

-Ian
Old 04-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #1628
evillines

I am bidding on a series 2 with lifetime and network capabilities. I am going to run the pay channels and HD network channels into my Series 3 and the other non-digital (non cablecard) cable into the TIVO 2 (so I can at least watch Sci-Fi and F/X). Silly to go through so much trouble, but at leat it's a fix until they fix the A/B issue in my area of Dallas, TX. I have read a lot of reviews and people's concerns about TiVo 3 and the cablecard issue. The cablecard issue is obviously an issue much bigger than TiVo called DRM. However, I do agree that I should be able to use tivotogo to move on my own content and pull off the non-digital, non-cablecard content I got OTA. That is indeed a big pain the butt!
evillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #1629
WebPrincess

Time Warner, North Dallas, TX

I recently had this exchange with Time Warner in North Dallas, TX:

My email to them:
“I called today to request a cable card for a Tivo Series3 I am planning to buy.
The associate on the phone says you will not provide those to me because you have a similar product. I thought the FCC required that cable cards
be available for the Tivo boxes.

Please explain.”

Their answer:
“Thank you for contacting us with your concern. We do apologize for the misunderstanding, however the cable cards are to be provided for use of your digital television. We will not install the cable cards into Tivo services. We do offer a Digital Video Recorder, therefore, not needing a cable card.”

I sent all this to Tivo in hopes they will get onto Time Warner — but who knows how long that will take. I’ve started to look into FCC filings. But we all know how “fast” the government fixes things.
WebPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #1630
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebPrincess
“Thank you for contacting us with your concern. We do apologize for the misunderstanding, however the cable cards are to be provided for use of your digital television. We will not install the cable cards into Tivo services. We do offer a Digital Video Recorder, therefore, not needing a cable card.”
You can call TiVo customer support and get transferred to the cablecard group, and they will get on the line with you to your TW office and read them the riot act about cablecards
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #1631
stevereis

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebPrincess
I recently had this exchange with Time Warner in North Dallas, TX:

My email to them:
“I called today to request a cable card for a Tivo Series3 I am planning to buy.
The associate on the phone says you will not provide those to me because you have a similar product. I thought the FCC required that cable cards
be available for the Tivo boxes.

Please explain.”

Their answer:
I have TWC in Dallas and did not have any issues getting CableCards. You might try just requesting 2 cards - say they are for 2 TVs if they ask. I think the installer will do the work once they're at your house.

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #1632
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevereis
I have TWC in Dallas and did not have any issues getting CableCards. You might try just requesting 2 cards - say they are for 2 TVs if they ask. I think the installer will do the work once they're at your house.
My Dallas S3 is running happily with two cards from TWC. I just called and asked for two cards, without saying what I was putting them in. The installer didn't care.
-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #1633
cdp1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi again-

Now that I've just spend tons of cash on an upgraded S3, based on what I've been reading elsewhere on these boards, should I be worried about SDV?

Or are us NYC Time Warner users safe enough for the time being?

Any advice would be helpful - thanks!

-Ian
I don't think you are safe for long and I believe you like myself in upstate NY already has many channels on SDV. Here is a link to our list of channels:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/roche...cablecard.html
Old 04-29-2007, 12:28 AM   #1634
mosleyh

TWC in Charlotte, NC. I have a S3 with 2 cablecards that's been working like a charm for months. Now suddenly (2 nights ago) BOTH cablecards can't acquire any channels. "Cold hits" from TWC and reboots have no effect.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-29-2007, 01:27 AM   #1635
cokyq

I am also in the Dallas/fort Worth area serviced by TWC. I had no problems obtaining two CCs for my S3. Though it was not a smooth installation, after two visits and lengthy phone conversations between the tech and their support staff, they finally got it working!
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Sony PS3 (Blu-Ray Player - NOW UPSCALES DVDs!!!)
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #1636
jcfed

hey mosleyh. I'm in CLT also. Same symptoms. Friday evening I noticed that I wasn't getting HBO so I restarted the machine. Big mistake. It came back up and the cards initialized but I get no channels. It sits at the "please wait acquiring channels." Calling TWC there is a message that set-top boxes may be having problems with the time being displayed incorrectly or channels missing. I think this impacts anything that gets "signals" from TWC.

Talking with tech support is worthless because they send a refresh signal to the cards which it does see (EMM count increases) but I believe the problem is that whatever they have on TWC's side that pushes out the signals is down. As usual the techs at the office suggest rebooting the machine by unplugging it (I humored them) and then they send a refresh signal. Doesn't work. Why they want to send out a truck is beyond me since all the tech will do is call into the office for help. So whatever server in TWC that sends out EMM signals appears to be down. Of course telling that to a tech on the phone is like speaking a foreign language...
jcfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #1637
mosleyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfed
hey mosleyh. I'm in CLT also. Same symptoms. Friday evening I noticed that I wasn't getting HBO so I restarted the machine. Big mistake. It came back up and the cards initialized but I get no channels. It sits at the "please wait acquiring channels." Calling TWC there is a message that set-top boxes may be having problems with the time being displayed incorrectly or channels missing. I think this impacts anything that gets "signals" from TWC.

Talking with tech support is worthless because they send a refresh signal to the cards which it does see (EMM count increases) but I believe the problem is that whatever they have on TWC's side that pushes out the signals is down. As usual the techs at the office suggest rebooting the machine by unplugging it (I humored them) and then they send a refresh signal. Doesn't work. Why they want to send out a truck is beyond me since all the tech will do is call into the office for help. So whatever server in TWC that sends out EMM signals appears to be down. Of course telling that to a tech on the phone is like speaking a foreign language...

Thanks for that. It's (somewhat) comforting to know that it's not just me. I'm going to take one more shot at tech support this afternoon. If I get any results, I'll post.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #1638
Iceback

I live in Charlotte and have experienced the drop of service to the cable cards as well. They are admitting that it is affecting all of their cable card customers, and I was told today it was some sort of software change on their end that may require a change out in cable cards. My Sony XBR2 tv that has a cable card and has lost tuning ability as well. Of course they couldn't get a tech on the phone who knew how to do anything other than re-hit the card, and after consultation with a supervisor, I was told they would have to roll a truck to fix the problem. I was quite upset, as they in essence were telling me that they changed something on their end that screwed up all their cable card customers, and would have to roll a truck to fix all of them. Smart customer service.... not. Let me know if anyone gets a fix over the phone. I am out of town all next week and could not schedule a truck roll until next Sunday. 'Til then, my series 3 that has run flawlessly since October, has been neutered.
Iceback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #1639
mosleyh

Same here. No joy on the phone support re-try.

What's amazing to me is that they would knowingly waste the kind of money that they are. It's job security for the techs of course, but really. Giving the phone support folks the right tools, or at least an escalation path to someone who actually knows something would seem to me to be much more cost effective in the long term.

The phone support folks, besides knowing ZIP about cablecards, don't even have the ability to send a "cold hit"! I asked if they could verify the Host ID and what I presume to be the Data ID for my two cards. Again, no soap.

Remarkable.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #1640
jcfed

yup I just call in every few hours to see if the phone message has changed. I'm assuming that once that message about cable box problems goes away our problem will also be resolved. I do plan on calling tomorrow during regular business hours to see if I can get someone that is more experienced. I think I've accurately determined what the problem is I just don't think any of the front line techs can fix it this appears to be a system problem not an individual issue like they seem to be trained to think.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #1641
Iceback

I will try again tomorrow to see if I can get someone who knows cable cards on the other end. You would think if they were going to make changes to head end software that would affect the limited cable card customer base, they would have tried to call everyone and schedule an upgrade before it the change knocked everyone off line. Unreal...
Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 AM   #1642
jcfed

If it's a software upgrade on their end I wonder if erasing the current cards from their system and going through that again would correct the issue. I may try that this morning with the techs on the phone if I can get someone that knows cable cards. What I don't want to go through is the 2 day 7 cable cards to get setup fiasco that I had with TW when I first got the tivo.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #1643
jcfed

Problem is fixed. I just called into the service number and the message about problems with the set top boxes is gone. I checked Tivo and what do you know... everything is back. Of course the technicians swear that the messages were not related....
Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #1644
Iceback

Everything is back on here as well... Looks like someone of authority came on duty this morning, checked the weekend logs and flicked the appropriate switch. I will still hold my Sunday appointment until late Saturday just in case.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 PM   #1645
carolinaherps

Can you guys in CLT give some more details on what you did to get your boxes back up?

I'm in Chapel Hill, and my Tivo went out last Wednesday. I've since had 2 service calls where they've tried to delete/re-add the cable cards, tried a new card, etc. Now I'm waiting on a service call tomorrow where they are going to try "several" cards to find one that works. They insist that nothing changed on their end and that it's a problem finding a working cable card. Yet I can't believe that 2 cards would go bad all at once.

Did they say what type of "upgrade" they did on their end so that I can ask the Chapel Hill guys about it?
carolinaherps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:43 PM   #1646
Iceback

Wish I could help you... I just turned on the tv this morning and everything was working properly again as if nothing had happened. They had told me over the weekend that the problem was on their end (as in software), but would require a truck roll to figure out what was up. Low and behold, this morning all 3 of my cards are working. Maybe you can get the Rock Hill supervisor to call the Charlotte supervisor and ask what they did. It's a mystery to me. I was a little reluctant when the series 3 arrived back in October, because of all the reported problems with the cable card installations... but it was worked flawlessly since they were installed, and this is the first glitch I've experienced.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #1647
jcfed

I'm in the same boat Carolina. It just started working for me too. Whatever was wrong had to do with the problems over the weekend. The techs on the phone were worthless.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #1648
evillines

It is with great sadness to report that I am returning my TIVO Series 3. I live in an area in Dallas with the old A/B channels and the process for getting all the content – not just HD content but even regular analog content on Sci-Fi, FX, etc. – just isn’t possible. Also, Time Warner has an HD DVR that will support this A/B system. It breaks my heart, but this and the lack of tivotogo make it really difficult to justify the price tag. I will undoubtedly repurchase my tivo when they get this A/B on to one system in 6/8 months (per Time Warner). In the meantime, I will have to deal with a sub-par DVR. Good luck to you all!
evillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #1649
carolinaherps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfed
I'm in the same boat Carolina. It just started working for me too. Whatever was wrong had to do with the problems over the weekend. The techs on the phone were worthless.
Yeah, the techs here are pretty useless too. Tomorrow is my 3rd service call for this problem. The techs think that it's bad cable cards. We'll see. I'm about to the point of selling the S3 on eBay and just going with DirectTV instead...
carolinaherps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #1650
Animgif
Stud, Esquire

While it took about 2 hours to get my new TW NYC cable cards ordered, they were installed this morning without incident. Not sure what I'm paying yet (the three times I called no one could tell me...they were all confused), I'll post it when I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Animgif is offline   Reply With Quote