TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #1591
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc_austin
Would it be possible to use the S2 to record with and control the channel switching of the TW HD DVR, and use the TW box only for recording HD programs?
This will get you SD recordings of those programs on the S2, but the HD-DVR would not record those programs. You would run into a problem if the HD-DVR was recording two programs at the same time the S2 wanted to record a third. A dialog would pop up on the HD-DVR telling you about it, but you likely wouldn't be around to resolve the conflict.
For this reason I still have a plain HD set-top that my old TiVo controls.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #1592
Josh Willis

Well here goes nothing. I was a long time Tivo user up until the point that I moved to Austin 2 years ago. Since Tivo didn't have an HD option at the time I went with Time Warner's DVR and have really missed my Tivo ever since. Well I just moved to a new place here in Austin so I took Tivo up on the $499 Series 3 offer and it should be here this afternoon.

So Friday I called TW to request 2 cable cards when the tech comes out to turn on the cable at my new location. They asked what they were going into and I told them. I then got the standard response that they do not allow their cable cards to be installed into anything that isn't a TV. So after hanging up and calling back 3 times I finally got a CSR that didn't ask what they were going into, and the tech is supposed to be out on Wednesday morning. So, my question is what are the odds the tech is going to install the cable cards in my Tivo when he finds out what they are for. I know there are plenty of Series 3 owners with TW in Austin, but after all the resistance I received from the local CSR's I just wonder how much of a headache this is going to be.

Cableguy763: any recs on how to make this go smoothly?
Josh Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #1593
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Willis
I then got the standard response that they do not allow their cable cards to be installed into anything that isn't a TV.
That's a load of BS and everyone here knows it. I was lucky that the CSR I happened to talk to knew what a S3 was and was actually enthusiastic about it. Unless CableGuy pulls some strings for you, you'll probably get a contract installer, not a tech, and they might not have a clue what they're doing. As long as they leave you two cablecards that happen to work, you will normally be able to get everything going over the phone if they give up and go home. Make sure the back of your S3 is easily accessible until all your channels have been working for a few days.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #1594
Austin_Martin

Quote:
I haven't had any trouble tuning the lower channels on my S3 here in SW Austin.
You're lucky. I have no idea what channels I can receive anymore. There are a few that tune in the 1-99 range. I seem to have hundreds of channels, but when I try to tune anything in, I either get a "not suscribed to this channel" , or even worse, just blank screens.

I soo wish we had some competition in the cable industry here.

Can you imagine the outrage if regular time warner customers couldn't receive most channels? But when I phone, they say it will be fixed soon, don't worry. They've been saying that for over a month now.
Austin_Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #1595
2farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Martin

I soo wish we had some competition in the cable industry here.
You and millions of other people.
Other than a few lucky Cities, for most folks there is no such thing as competition on Cable. You can choose Satellite, but then your shiny new S3 won't work with that.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
2farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 AM   #1596
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merejane
I looked at the back of the TiVo, and sure enough, I saw they had unplugged the cable from the Cable In port and plugged it into the Antenna In port! I could not believe it!
How very odd. My TWC installer had the same difficulty. When he showed up, I had the S3 all ready at the screen ready to insert the first card and he decided that the 95% signal was not good enough so he fiddled with resplicing the connector.

What I did not see until after he left in frustration that he too plugged the cable into the antenna connector.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #1597
mbarcus

UHD Added in Cincinnati

For those of you in the Cincinnati market.....TWC added Universal HD (channel 972) a couple of weeks ago just in time to cover the Masters in HD. Of course, Tivo didn't know this and I have been working with their lineup change department for nearly two weeks now to get them to add it. Well, finally last night I got a message from my S3 that a lineup change has occurred....and it was UHD on channel 972. A little too late to watch the Masters, but hopefully there will be some decent content on there.

Did anyone else in Cincy have this issue?
mbarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM   #1598
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

Has anyone in the NY area gotten a PPV Channel on their S3 via a website? I keep reading that "All I did was go onto the website and order it up" but I have yet to see a TW Website with a PPV interface.

Please point me (links please) to a TW (In any part of the country) website that allows you to order PPV via the website or phone call.

I did use the search feature. I also called TW and was told it couldn't be done. If this is the case, why do we keep hearing that "All I did was..."?

Last edited by rdrrepair : 04-19-2007 at 02:15 PM.
rdrrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #1599
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrrepair
I did use the search feature. I also called TW and was told it couldn't be done. If this is the case, why do we keep hearing that "All I did was..."?
I called TWC and the CSR told me I could order a PPV show over the phone (just not anything from the "inDemand" channels.) A standard PPV order over the phone would be fine, he said, and then I could just set the TiVo to record from the Guide Data.

I still haven't found a movie or event worth trying that with, though.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #1600
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
A standard PPV order over the phone would be fine, he said, and then I could just set the TiVo to record from the Guide Data.
You also have to be careful about copy protection with PPV channels. This is one place where it's legal for the cable company to use Copy Never (so you have to watch it within 90 minutes of being recorded)
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #1601
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

Lightbulb Copy Never -- View Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
You also have to be careful about copy protection with PPV channels. This is one place where it's legal for the cable company to use Copy Never (so you have to watch it within 90 minutes of being recorded)
Looks like UnBox is "Our PPV Provider". At least with the UnBox on TiVo you have 30 days to start viewing and/or 24 hours to complete the viewing. I don't want to get into the short comings of UnBox, I just wanted to see what my real options in this area are.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #1602
evillines

I am in Dallas, TX and my neighborhood still has Time Warner on the old A/B system (with a promise to have this fixed end-year???). Can I even use the series 3 with this since part of the cable channels come from cable A and the others from cable B -- I presume that you aren't putting one cable into the antenna input and the other into the cable input? And I've heard that you can't run cable and antenna at the same time. Would love anyone's thoughts on this! Thanks!
evillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #1603
asills

Quote:
Originally Posted by evillines
I am in Dallas, TX and my neighborhood still has Time Warner on the old A/B system (with a promise to have this fixed end-year???). Can I even use the series 3 with this since part of the cable channels come from cable A and the others from cable B -- I presume that you aren't putting one cable into the antenna input and the other into the cable input? And I've heard that you can't run cable and antenna at the same time. Would love anyone's thoughts on this! Thanks!
The antiquated A/B system won't work with the Series 3. It wouldn't work with the Series 1 or 2 either if you didn't use a cable box. Since the Series 3 doesn't control a cable box, you're out of luck.

If you don't mind ditching either A or B (A should be older analogs and B should be 100+ right?) then I assume it could work, but I wouldn't bother. I would personally (and have before I moved into a neighborhood in Richardson without the A/B switch) stick with their DVR if you're doing HD, or a Series 2 with a plain old cable box otherwise.
asills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #1604
evillines

I would be fine using anttenne for primestime and cable B for HBO, Showtime, sci-fi, etc (have to check the channel line up and see if they are above 100). But I have heard that if you slap a card in there it will become a single tunner tivo and kill the antena option?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #1605
pilott

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda
I haven't had any trouble tuning the lower channels on my S3 here in SW Austin.

The only channel I'm missing (that I care about) as a result of SDV is SPEED
I can tune to the networks (but I have the HD versions) and I think two other channels below 100. I can't get to their 100+ counterparts either. I do get SPEED though (too bad I don't watch it though).
pilott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #1606
DougJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by asills
T
If you don't mind ditching either A or B (A should be older analogs and B should be 100+ right?) then I assume it could work, but I wouldn't bother.
It works fine. I'm in Dallas with the old A/B system. If you plug in the A side, you get basically everything except the channels between 60 and 100. There are a few things I would like to see there, so I am looking forward to getting a modern cable system, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying what I've got.
-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #1607
evillines

Sorry If I am being dense, but when you look at the Dallas channel lineup would this get me the HD primetime channels and the premium HBO and SHowtime? I am looking at the channel line up from time warner and since the digital channels go up so high, not sure where the demarcation between a and b is. If you look at the basic line-up it's states a and b -- but assume this is digital which goes up into the I am assume this is still digital cable, so this goes up to almost 1000 channels.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #1608
Josh Willis

Well to follow up, here's how my installation went. I was pleased to find the contracted tech standing at my door bright and early at 8:30 AM. I showed him the Tivo and explained that both cards went into the device. He said that this will be the first time he's done one of these installs, but didn't balk at it for a second. He was also very pleased when I showed him the cable card installation instructions. Well he proceeded to go outside and hook me back up on the poll while I waited and when finished he came back in to start the CC installs.
I had it waiting on the Cable card screen, so he inserted the first card and we waited for the CC# and Host ID screen to pop up, which after 60 seconds or so, it did. Then he called TW dispatch to get it activated. After sitting on hold for 10 minutes he finally got someone on the line who activated the card. It then went directly to the "Updating Firmware" screen, where it stayed for at least 25 minutes. After that it went back to the zip code screen and we got back to the CC screen. We then inserted the next card and got the dreaded 161-2 error screen. He called his supervisor to confirm that that meant the card was bad, and then we waited an additional 30 minutes for said supervisor to bring a spare card. We then inserted the new card which went directly to the "updating firmware" screen. It stayed on this screen for 2 hours, until finally we assumed the card was bad and we plugged in the other spare that his supervisor brought. This one started working immediately, so he called dispatch to add the second CC# to the account. He then had to wait on hold for 40 minutes to talk to a live body to activate the card.
To sum it up, he arrived at 8:30 and left around 1:00. I felt sorry for the guy, as none of the issues were his fault, but he was in good humor about it the entire time. The Tivo has been working wonderfully ever since and it's FANTASTIC to have a Tivo once again after going 2 years with the abomination of a DVR that TW provides. The only issue I seem to have is some of my HD channels aren't coming in (non-SDV ones) such as INHD, HDNET,HDNETMV, DHD, ESPNHD, and so on. Universal HD has worked off and on, and TNTHD didn't work at first but now it's fine. I guess I need to call TW back and have them rehit my cards or something.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #1609
evillines

Josh -- Thanks for this. I suppose I should just bite the bullet and do it. I was getting good OTA, but I am paying for DirecTV and it's hard to justify the giant price I paid for this series 3 if I am not actually using it for cable. One more question, then I will send you flowers for being so nice, are you getting the the premium HBO SHowtime and local HD. Also what about Sci-Fi/FX. If I could get those and only those it would be worth it!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #1610
Josh Willis

Well I don't subscribe to HBO/Showtime so I can't tell you there, but yes I get FX and Sci-Fi. The lack of Sci-Fi would be a deal breaker for me. And yes, the local HD channels work fine.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #1611
evillines

That's good news -- I am picking up the phone to call Time Warner! Thanks for the Dallas POV!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #1612
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilott
I can tune to the networks (but I have the HD versions) and I think two other channels below 100. I can't get to their 100+ counterparts either. I do get SPEED though (too bad I don't watch it though).
If TTG ever works I'll trade you basic cable shows for races :-)
Old 04-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #1613
cokyq

Josh,

TWC in the mid cities in the D/FW area charges extra for the "HD Tier", $3/mo, and it adds the exact same HD channels you describe. You may consider calling them and checking to see if they are activated!
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Sony PS3 (Blu-Ray Player - NOW UPSCALES DVDs!!!)
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #1614
Josh Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokyq
Josh,

TWC in the mid cities in the D/FW area charges extra for the "HD Tier", $3/mo, and it adds the exact same HD channels you describe. You may consider calling them and checking to see if they are activated!
Oh it's activated as I had it before the cable cards. I'm also getting SOME of the channels in the HD tier
Old 04-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #1615
cokyq

Sure would like to see TWC in the D/FW area add NG HD. Would also like Sci/Fi HD but have not heard if it is available at all! Does anyone know?
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Old 04-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #1616
cokyq

I also had the HD tier working prior to the TiVo installation. The HD Tier used to be free, now they are charging for it. When the tech came to install the CCs on my TiVO, they disabled them w/o telling me. A few hours later, when I went to watch UHD, I noticed they had been turned off and had to call again to have them reactivate them (and agree to the new $/3 month service charge).

Good luck...
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #1617
Josh Willis

Well I just called TW and the tech said everything looked good on his end concerning the missing HD channels, so they're having to send another tech out tomorrow. :\
Old 04-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #1618
astrohip
Stuart F

TW-Houston (soon to be Comcast) charges $5/month for the HD tier. And AFAIK, no Time Warner anywhere carry NG in HD.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #1619
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I just had a tech out here (DFW) and he installed two new M cards in my S3. It took quite a while (over 3 hours) but everything is working. I had to prod him when he kept giving the MAC address instead of the S/N of the cards. It also took about 30 minutes to get someone on the phone who knew anything about cablecards.

Why can't they have a small group that specializes in cablecards? Just send that guy out to do the few installs needed. Since every installer I have ever met acts like they have never even seen one before, the number of installs can't be that high.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #1620
elenaran

Question about the A/B system in Dallas w/ a S3. I'm confused by the previous posters on the subject. Are they trying to hookup analog cable or does the A/B split still apply to a digital cablecard setup?
elenaran is offline   Reply With Quote