TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
ThatBozGuy

Did 8.3 update kill galleon goback for good?

Can anyone confirm galleon goback working with the new 8.3 rollout?

Ive had galleon 2.3.0 windows native running with several directories for several months on my s2 DT 80 hour.

I used transfers and subdirectories on Tuesday.

Over night Wednesday-Thursday I received the update to 8.3-01-2-649 and was notified by the message on my next viewing.

System has been running fine and we have been using some of the new features, but when I went to my galleon goback shares today the directory listings are hosed.

After some experimenting I can get files listed sort of manually but there is definitely a communication breakdown in parsing the directories and the info being sent from the tivo to the galleon server and vice versa.

One of the new features/bugs addressed in this rollout was a now playing listing bug where if you had a long multi page list and chose an item you would return to the first page of listings even if you were several pages deep. The fix puts you back where you chose from instead of the first page.

Since these issues are closely related in how the tivo communicates its place in lists Im concerned that the fix is what hosed galleon and since galleon is no longer developing that it might be dead in the water for good.

Can anyone who has recieved 8.3-01-2-649 confirm that galleon go back is working for them on version 2.3.0 galleon or any galleon version for that matter.

Thanks

Boz
ThatBozGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
ThatBozGuy

Galleon dead?

It appears to effect pytivo and tivo net can anyone confirm?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Solver

Sorry, can't test. My TiVo has not received the 8.3 update yet. I did enter my TiVi SN in the "real" 8.3 priority" list the same day it was activated. The confirmation message did say that it would take up to 3 days for the update.
That was 4 days ago.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Airey001

I am seeing the same effect with both Galleon 2.3.0 and TiVo.Net Mono 0.9.7a - Fixed. In each I have sub folders where i classify the media files like folders for series, movies, internet media, and etc. When i try to browse them they seem to get 'hosed' like the first folder I browse will show up when i try to browse the others.

Why is it they seem to break these features each time they make a release and then they don't or won't fix it until months later. I am seeing this on both of my TiVo units, However this doesn't appear to be a problem when using the MRV between tivos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Server with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
services

I am really missing Tivo OS 8.1 right now. Most stuff worked with it!
Airey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
kcarsten

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airey001
I am seeing the same effect with both Galleon 2.3.0 and TiVo.Net Mono 0.9.7a - Fixed. In each I have sub folders where i classify the media files like folders for series, movies, internet media, and etc. When i try to browse them they seem to get 'hosed' like the first folder I browse will show up when i try to browse the others.

Why is it they seem to break these features each time they make a release and then they don't or won't fix it until months later. I am seeing this on both of my TiVo units, However this doesn't appear to be a problem when using the MRV between tivos.
Did you really just call Galleon and Tivo_Net "features" of Tivo?
kcarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
ThatBozGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airey001
Well TIVO cant be blamed for "messing" up a third party addon and shouldnt be building apps to apeease a few adopters.

Just sucks because this is the only app that I know that does this function with subdirecties and TIVO CAN BE BLAMED for not having that functionality in the desktop app in the first place.

If they add subdirectory mapping to desktop 2.4 final then no complaints.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
ThatBozGuy

Just a workaround note

I can get galleon to list a single sub directory depth properly by a glitchy workaround.

Part of this bug is once you enter a subdirectory that becomes the listing in every directory no matter where you move around the tree.

But lets say you have directory movies and directory tv, if you go into movies the first time it will show the right directory info and files, you then back out and go into tv the list will be the same for movies as if it did not change location.

But it actually is changing location, just not listing.

If you chose an item in the tv directory(that is actually listed from the movie directory) it will pull up info, chose dont do anything from the menu, it will back out AND REFRESH TO THE RIGHT DIRECTORY LISTING for tv or anywhere you might have moved to ,its glitchy but you can still move around.

One note, this glitchy method only works to one subdirectory depth.

Its not a fix but at least a bit of a short term workaround for galleon until this is sorted out.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Airey001

No I didn't call tivo.net and galleon features of Tivo. The features of tivo I was referring to are the TivoToGo and the GoBack Features. They broke the TivoToGo back a few updates where you couldn't download any showes from the tivo to any PC or vi versa the transfers always stoped at like 2 mb. Then they didn't fixes it until the next release which was months.

Their lack of support for items like this is why Galleon is no longer supported by its author.

Server with
and
services

Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
morac
Cat God

The TiVo is apparently sending out two requests when going into a folder (which seems to be a bug to me). The first request is for the correct folder and the second request is for the first folder viewed upon entering the application. This results in the wrong files being displayed.

The only work around for this, by app developers would be to ignore the second request in the case where the TiVo sends 2 requests for folders that aren't in a parent/child relationship.

For example if the TiVo sends the following requests back to back:
/Folder1
/Folder2

Then the program would have to ignore the /Folder2 request. If the following was requested:
/Folder1
/
/Folder2

then that should be allowed.

Last edited by morac : 04-17-2007 at 09:48 AM.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #10
mitch2k2

Now if there were only some way to turn Galleon into a community supported project.....
mitch2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch2k2
Now if there were only some way to turn Galleon into a community supported project.....
The Galleon source code is available so anyone who wants to can pick it up and run with it.

It's been awhile since I looked at the code, but I think the biggest issue with someone else working on it is that the code isn't really documented and that there is a lot of code. It takes awhile to figure out what's going on.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
windracer
joined the 10k club

Well, it's on SourceForge ...

... maybe we could convince Leon to push out 2.3.1?

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
mitch2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
The Galleon source code is available so anyone who wants to can pick it up and run with it.
Unfortunately, coding is pretty much the only area in which I do not act like a monkey.

But it sure would be a boon to the community if we could at least address these new issues, if not push forward with ongoing development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
maybe we could convince Leon to push out 2.3.1?
I wonder....
mitch2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #14
Airey001

Yeah but the issue with this programing work around you stated is that the Tivo is not always requesting this one "unrequested" Folder right after a folder request.

I noticed that as a work around for this issue, when you try to bring up the a subfolder and you get "unrequested" folder. If you select any file and view its information and then hit back (Left) the tivo does send only one request back for the correct folder and you then can browse the correct folder.

So I am not sure how you have the application determin which request are good and which are bad. I guess you could put some kind of time limt on saying if 2 request come in in so many second ignore the second, but that still my cause issues.

Server with
and
services

Old 04-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #15
armooo
pyTivo Developer

It is not even that you need to ignore the second request, you need to respond with the response from the "correct" request. Without having 8.3 yet it looks like this would be adding way to much state to the http server.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #16
D-man

One way to workaround this is to create multiple GoBack entries (Galleon allows this). It's not the same functionality, but you could create different entries for each of your lowest level folders or group like items (TV shows, movies, etc.) I'm not a coder, so can't help, but it would be great if people picked up Galleon again even if just for fixes.
D-man is offline   Reply With Quote