TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #301
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Logos?

OK,

For your perusal.....

I told him to have fun with it, I like number two myself..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Tivo Python 1 copy.jpg (33.3 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Tivo Python 2 copy.jpg (33.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Tivo Python 3 copy.jpg (43.7 KB, 92 views)
Tivo HD @ 750GB Green Drive
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
pyTivo Windows Home Server @ 3TB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Hitachi Ultravision Plasma
CheezWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #302
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkleiman
After successfully using pyTiVo for several weeks, it started exhibiting strange behavior recently. Although pyTiVo displayed, transferred and transcoded any videos in the "root" of my share folders properly, I started have weird behavior when trying to access videos in subfolders. pyTiVo displayed the contents of every one of my subfolders as though they contained the three video in one specific subfolder (in other words, every subfolder showed the three files that are actually in the subfolder called "The Tudors"). Then, when I moved the specific subfolder away, pyTiVo now displays that the contents of all my subfolders are empty.

Based on this behavior, I suspect this is a cache issue. Perhaps my cache is corrupted or frozen, and pyTiVo isn't rescanning the share folders to correct the problem.

Is there a way to force a rescan, dump the cache, or otherwise diagnose this?
The only cache that pyTivo uses is for the results of running ffmpeg to get video info, this cache is stored in ram so restarting pyTivo will clear it. But it uses os calls to list the files in each directory on each load. A few other people have seen this and it looks like the tivo is sending the wrong path in its request. I think this may be a tivo bug like the now playing list replacement. There must be reasons why the real tivo software has no support for folders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #303
mkleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo
The only cache that pyTivo uses is for the results of running ffmpeg to get video info, this cache is stored in ram so restarting pyTivo will clear it. But it uses os calls to list the files in each directory on each load. A few other people have seen this and it looks like the tivo is sending the wrong path in its request. I think this may be a tivo bug like the now playing list replacement. There must be reasons why the real tivo software has no support for folders.
Is there any diagnostic information I can send you to help fix this problem? Or am I forced to simply dump my subfolders for now?
mkleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #304
TracerBullet

Another stupid question: can anyone tell me the correct procedure for getting 16x9 material to fill a 16x9 TV? I have aspect169=true and width=720 and my TiVo is set at 16x9, but 16x9 material is boxed. Any suggestions?
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #305
ocntscha

Quote:
Is there any diagnostic information I can send you to help fix this problem? Or am I forced to simply dump my subfolders for now?
I've been using all the various versions of tivo.net and pytivo the last few months I know I ran into this at least once some where along the way, I think probably 2 or 3 times but I don't recall it ever being any long term problem. I doubt I even had to reboot my Tivo or restart the pyTivo or tivo.net software as I'd probably remember having to do that and I don't. My standard way of dealing with the folder display glitches is go into the deleted items folder and then come back out. Maybe you haven't tried that and the solution is that simple?

All that being said, I have to agree with armoo, its not just by sheer chance that the Tivodesktop Plus software doesn't support folders. There definately seem to be issues with folders in the Tivo software itself and I suspect Tivo worked around the problem instead of fixing the problem. I'm hoping the 8.3 version of the Tivo software, which some people have already received btw, makes folders function properly.
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #306
mkleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocntscha
My standard way of dealing with the folder display glitches is go into the deleted items folder and then come back out. Maybe you haven't tried that and the solution is that simple?
No dice. I've tried all the simple folder refresh methods, as well as upgrading pytivo, downgrading pytivo, restarting tivo, and restructuring the pc folders. The problem persists.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #307
armooo
pyTivo Developer

What software version is your Tivo running? It could be that 8.3 is even more broken.

As for seeing if it is a Tivo problem watch the output and it should have something like Container=Video/FolderName in the URL make sure that path matches what you are trying to display on your tivo. If it dose not match the tivo seems to be making the wrong requests.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #308
ocntscha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezWiz
OK,

For your perusal.....

I told him to have fun with it, I like number two myself..
Ha, very cool! I like number three.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #309
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
What software version is your Tivo running? It could be that 8.3 is even more broken.
Found another reference to this ...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post5061399

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #310
ocntscha

Quote:
No dice. I've tried all the simple folder refresh methods, as well as upgrading pytivo, downgrading pytivo, restarting tivo, and restructuring the pc folders. The problem persists.
I'd try changing the unique identirifier of pyTivo, that way the Tivo will think its talking to an all together different server. I think you could either edit beacon.py and change guid = '123456' to something else like guid = '123457' or if I'm reading it right there's an undocumented feature (at least I can't come up with it being documented in the past 5 minutes of looking) where you could accomplish the same thing by sticking GUID=123457 into the [Server] section of pyTivo.conf.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #311
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
I am having no problem using path=\\Steph\Desktop\Videos to access from a different pc. You may want to try mounting it to a drive letter. It may take a very long time if you have a lot of videos in one folder. So trying with just one video first may help.

I think I figured out the problem I was having with a network drive, via a NAS hard drive. It is using share security, where you specify username(s) and password(s) to have access to each share you create. The pyTivo service however, does not have the right username and password. I created a share with just the video files and turned on the "guest" account on the hard drive, which doesn't require a password, and it now works. (Although it is pretty slow)
Old 04-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #312
ocntscha

Uh Oh

Quote:
That is a distinct possibility.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #313
slestak

Quote:

I wonder if running multiple shares or multiple instances of pytivo might help?
Maybe where you would want a folder, make it a separate share? i havent tried it, just thinking.
slestak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:15 AM   #314
ThatBozGuy

Quote:
There was a bug repaired in the new 8.3 that was related to directory listings like in now playing. This fix was so if you were several pages into a list and chose an item when you returned you would return to the same page you left.

Previous behavior was it would return to the first page and you would have to go back to where you wanted.

I believe this much needed fix is the culprit.

From the boards today and over a few days in a thread about tivo net and a thread I started about galleon titled Did 8.3 update kill galleon goback for good? it has become clear that pytivo, galleon and tivo net are all experiencing the same directory listing communication errors because of the 8.3 update.

It is not configuration, it is not firewall related, it is not some fluke, so dont change anything in your configs or your settings they will only make things worse until the behavior is fixed in the various programs as they adapt to the change in communication structure in the tivo update.

ThatBozGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #315
mkleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocntscha
That is a possibility.
Yes, I'm running 8.3. It seems to have broken subfolders for pytivo and tivo_net.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #316
Chew

Is there any podcast client that doesn't do subfolders and cleans up after itself? Does Doppler do subfolders? If there isn't, I guess I'll have to set the paths to each vodcast instead of the main "Podcast" folder with each title in a subfolder?

I don't have 8.3 yet, but want to be proactive to avoid this problem.

Edit: If anyone is interested in the answer to this, it appears the "Happy Fish" podcast client will allow you download all feeds to a single folder without subfolders.

Last edited by Chew : 04-16-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #317
morac
Cat God

See my post here for what's happening and how programs can work around this.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #318
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slestak
I wonder if running multiple shares ............. might help?
Maybe where you would want a folder, make it a separate share? i havent tried it, just thinking.
Me too. Don't have 8.3 yet. If you don't use sub-folders under a shared folder do you still get the "8.3 problem" ?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #319
mkleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
Me too. Don't have 8.3 yet. If you don't use sub-folders under a shared folder do you still get the "8.3 problem" ?
If you do not use subfolders, you should have no problems under 8.3.

If you do use subfolders, you can indeed use separate shares to point to subfolders, although its a klutzy workaround.

So if before, you had a share with the following contents:

Video 1
Video 2
\Subfolder A
\Subfolder B

with 8.3 you will be able to transfer/play Video 1 and Video 2 just fine. When you navigate to Subfolder A it will appear normal, but when you next navigate to Subfolder B (or any other subfolder in this or any other share) it will show only the contents of Subfolder A.

So, to do the workaround, you'd need to create 2 additional shares, 1 pointing to Subfolder A and 1 pointing to Subfolder B. You can now get to the files in those subfolders through your new shares. (Of course, if any of your subfolders have further subfolders, then you'll need additional shares for them too, etc. etc. etc.)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 AM   #320
TreborPugly
Unreal!

I don't have 8.3 yet, but periodically(usually when I'm in a sub folder) the list gets messed up and it shows the contents of my video folder when you go to Now Playing, and you can't get "out" to the normal Now Playing. I've found that if I enter Kid's Zone (which is still at the top of this list that otherwise looks like my video folder) and come back out, the Now Playing list gets fixed up. This might be a way to get 8.3 to reset it's folder request as well.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #321
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
I don't have 8.3 yet, but periodically(usually when I'm in a sub folder) the list gets messed up and it shows the contents of my video folder when you go to Now Playing, and you can't get "out" to the normal Now Playing. I've found that if I enter Kid's Zone (which is still at the top of this list that otherwise looks like my video folder) and come back out, the Now Playing list gets fixed up. This might be a way to get 8.3 to reset it's folder request as well.
This sounds like one of the "known issues" described in the Wiki, and apparently you have a fourth work-around.

and
Old 04-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #322
mkleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
The new subfolders problem with 8.3 is unrelated to the problem you describe, and is not fixed by this behavior. This was already discussed above.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #323
jwreiner

My understanding is that pytivo doesn't re-encode what it thinks are TiVo compliant videos. Is there a way to force it to do so?

I have two reasons for wanting this. One, I have a 540 TiVo which doesn't like 16:9 mpegs, so I'd like pytivo to transcode it to 4:3. Yes, I could do this myself and have a 16:9 version of the file and a 4:3 version, but it would be nice to have just one file and be able to skip the manual conversion step.

Two, transcoding to a lower bitrate allows streaming to the TiVo more quickly.

If I am misunderstanding the cause of the problems with the 16:9 file, please let me know. It looks fine on the computer, but on the TiVo, the video is identifiable, but messed up.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 AM   #324
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreiner
My understanding is that pytivo doesn't re-encode what it thinks are TiVo compliant videos. Is there a way to force it to do so?
Try this:

Save a copy of Transcode.py under a different name.

Edit transcode.py substituting this replacement function:
Code:
def tivo_compatable(inFile):
    if (inFile[-5:]).lower() == '.tivo':
        debug_write(['tivo_compatible: ', inFile, ' ends with .tivo\n'])
        return True
    return False
Warning: Indentation matters -- match the above.

Now any file that doesn't have the .tivo extension will be re-encoded.

Of course the settings in pyTivo.conf have bearing on 16:9 aspect, e.g.:
Code:
#Output Pixel Width: if you have an HDTV you might want to try 720 or 704
#Valid: 720, 704, 544, 480, 352
width=1440
height=720

##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
#[_tivo_2400000DEADBEEF]

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
#aspect169=true
I assume width=544 and aspect169=false would apply to your case.

Good luck! Nothing will explode..... you can always just replace the original files and be no worse off than when you started.

Edit -- after trying this myself:

If the encoding frame size of the mpeg has an aspect ratio less than 4:3 pyTivo will pad the right and left sides of the transcoded mpeg giving you black bars on the sides and an incorrect aspect ratio. My test file was a 480x480 mpeg that originated as a Tivo recording so this happened.

The logic determining this is in function: def select_aspect(inFile, tsn = ''): in transcode.py. As you can see it's pretty complex. I was able to fix it for the 480x480 case by a "hack" as follows:

Replace the line:
Code:
                if endHeight < TIVO_HEIGHT * 0.99:
by
Code:
                if endHeight < 0:
However I can't vouch for what will happen for different encoding frame sizes and choices of width and height in the pyTivo.conf file.

My initial thinking was that the correct way to do this would be if the "type" (codec) of the file is "mpeg2video" and aspect169 is False, just return:
"-aspect 4:3 -s <width>x<height>" , where <width> and <height> are the values in the pyTivo.conf file. (???). However, if the input mpeg2 is 16:9 display AR this wouldn't be correct -- you would need letterboxing in the encoded file. I think this all gets back to the basic problem that ffmpeg can't tell pyTivo what the display aspect ratio of the input file is, only the encoding frame AR. One approximate approach would be to assume if the encoding frame AR is less than 4:3 and not on of the "magic" 4:3 list, then the correct display AR is made 4:3, which AFAIK is the effect of my hack.

What about the common case of mpeg2 video captures, which are typically 720x480 encoding with 4:3 display AR ? I believe the current code would end up letterboxing that, no? (Of course the current code would not re-encode that file because it is a compatible one.)

What size(es) are the mpeg2's you are concerned with and what (display) aspect ratios?

and

Last edited by dlfl : 04-19-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 AM   #325
comandercody

Unknown Error

First off, thank you for this program.

Here is my "Config" file:

[DEFAULT]
path = <Pick A Path>
type = video

ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

[MyTVShows]
type = video
path = C:\Program Files\PipKin Technologies\TiVo.Net\Videos

[Paris]
type = video
path = N:\dvd movies\Paris Hilton

[Server]
height = 720
width = 1440
port = 9032
ffmpeg = /usr/bin/ffmpeg

[TIVO Porn]
type = video
path = N:\dvd movies\Porn\!!Tivo Porn

[Howard Stern]
type = video
path = N:\dvd movies\Howard Stern on Demand

beacon = 255.255.255.0
-----------------------------------------------------------------
When I look at my NPL, I see the individual folders (TIVO porn, Howard Stern), but when I select them it says "The "blah blah blah" now playing list could not be displayed because of an unknow error"

Any suggestions?

Series 2 311 Hours
Series 2 402 Hours
HD Tivo 98 Hours HD, 924 Hours SD
Indian Trail, NC
comandercody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #326
comandercody

Quote:
Originally Posted by comandercody
First off, thank you for this program.

Here is my "Config" file:

[DEFAULT]
path = <Pick A Path>
type = video

ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

[MyTVShows]
type = video
path = C:\Program Files\PipKin Technologies\TiVo.Net\Videos

[Paris]
type = video
path = N:\dvd movies\Paris Hilton

[Server]
height = 720
width = 1440
port = 9032
ffmpeg = /usr/bin/ffmpeg

[TIVO Porn]
type = video
path = N:\dvd movies\Porn\!!Tivo Porn

[Howard Stern]
type = video
path = N:\dvd movies\Howard Stern on Demand

beacon = 255.255.255.0
-----------------------------------------------------------------
When I look at my NPL, I see the individual folders (TIVO porn, Howard Stern), but when I select them it says "The "blah blah blah" now playing list could not be displayed because of an unknow error"

Any suggestions?

Sorry, I am running Windows XP and have a Series 2 Tivo, 240(two of them, networked, one wirelessly, one directly wired into my router).

I am also running Tivo desktop 2.3.

Series 2 311 Hours
Series 2 402 Hours
HD Tivo 98 Hours HD, 924 Hours SD
Indian Trail, NC
comandercody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #327
jwreiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
Try this:

Save a copy of Transcode.py under a different name.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know Python was so easy to modify.

I got it to work by just removing the section in transcode where it compares the file to supported modes. I was working with an mpeg that wasn't a .tivo file ever.

I suppose the absolute best solution is to check the TSN and if the aspect ratio is 16:9 but the TiVo doesn't support it, to transcode. I'll have to go back and read all the discussion of aspect ratios I didn't really understand the first time through.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 AM   #328
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreiner
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know Python was so easy to modify.

I got it to work by just removing the section in transcode where it compares the file to supported modes. I was working with an mpeg that wasn't a .tivo file ever.

I suppose the absolute best solution is to check the TSN and if the aspect ratio is 16:9 but the TiVo doesn't support it, to transcode. I'll have to go back and read all the discussion of aspect ratios I didn't really understand the first time through.
Revisit my original post, I edited it big time after you read it. I suspect very few people completely understand AR and I suspect I'm not one of them.

I wonder if it would be feasible to have pyTivo also run another program, such as mediaInfo, which does seem to return the display AR in its info ?

and
Old 04-19-2007, 02:03 AM   #329
dlfl
Cranky old novice

@commandercody

Your problems are due to the built in anti-trash filters of pyTivo, which exclude anything related to porn, Howard Stern or Paris Hilton.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Seriously, your pyTivo.conf file has to have a section called [Server] and the ffmpeg= and beaon= must be in that section, i.e., before any other sections (defined by names in [square brackets]).

You also need
port=9032
in the server section.

Also, in your [DEFAULT] share, I wouldn't know what to predict pyTivo will do with:
path = <Pick A Path>
unless you actually have a folder called "<Pick A Path>" on your root folder. (I suspect you should just delete this share and path.)

and
Old 04-19-2007, 02:09 AM   #330
Deadpan Science

I'm currently using pyTivo 187, and I'm having a problem with getting a video to be the correct size on my tv screen. I have a normal 4:3 tv.

these are the config settings for the video portion of the conf file

Quote:
#Output Pixel Width: if you have an HDTV you might want to try 720 or 704
#Valid: 720, 704, 544, 480, 352
width=1440
height=720

##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
#[_tivo_2400000DEADBEEF]

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
#aspect169=true
Currently when I transfer videos, I get only a small portion of the video(with sound) to display on screen. (Basically the middle-top of the video when played on the computer.)

What should I do?
Deadpan Science is offline   Reply With Quote