TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
mitch2k2

After 8.3 Update, No PC in Now Playing

Hey all. Tivo got a service update yesterday (to 8.3-01-2-540), and since then, I've been unable to access the recordings stored on my PC. The networked machine no longer shows up in the Now Playing list. It's worked flawlessly for months, and now I can't figure out what's going on.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Should mention I use Galleon fro GoBack, not Tivo Desktop.

Last edited by mitch2k2 : 04-14-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: more info
mitch2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
rsnaider

Does TiVo Desktop see your TiVo's in the options screen?

What version of the software are you running? If less than 2.3 it might need to be upgraded.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
mitch2k2

yes

Tivo Desktop sees the TiVo, and will pull the list of available recordings into TiVo Desktop. I was running 2.3, but after these problems started I checked for an update and installed 2.3a. Still no dice.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
rsnaider

Go into System Info on the TiVo and verify the Media Access Code matches the one you have entered in TiVo Desktop software.

I have never had the desktop software forget the key, but other than firewall issues I really cannot think of anything else.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
mitch2k2

Mak

I'd actually re-entered the Media Access Key this morning before posting as part of my troubleshooting, so I don't think that is it. But thank you.

As far as firewall issues, I'm using Zone Alarm, which also updated recently, and perhaps I'll need to go an re-open ports (I'll check when I'm back at the house), but as I said, the function had been working flawlessly, with the firewall obviously properly configured, for months.

All of my saved episodes of Deadwood reside on the PC, and we're currently re-watching the whole series, so, as silly as it may be, fixing this is very important to the wife and I.

Anyone's help and/or input is very much appreciated.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
lafos

Check your PC services and make sure that the Server service is running. Also check that the TD folder is still pointing to the folder where you have your tiv files. If the new install changed the folder location, then your PC won't necessarily show up on the TiVo until there are recordings in the folder.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
mitch2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos
Check your PC services and make sure that the Server service is running.
Check. It is (or was...I've uninstalled and reinstalled TiVo Desktop and thus far it's acting squirrelly.)
Quote:
Also check that the TD folder is still pointing to the folder where you have your tiv files. If the new install changed the folder location, then your PC won't necessarily show up on the TiVo until there are recordings in the folder.
I made sure it was pointing to the proper (not default) location.

I'm at my wits' end.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
rambler

Record a 5 minute clip with the Tivo. See if you can get it transferred to the pc. Then go back to the Tivo and open Now Playing, see if your PC appears.
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
mitch2k2

Unfortunately, things have gone from bad to worse. Since I uninstalled and reinstalled Tivo Desktop (several times now) the PC has been flashing the "Beacon Service Not Running" error, and trying to manually start the Tivo Beacon from the services panel in WinXP produces an error 1359.

Crap.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
lafos

If you have System Restore running in XP, you might want to try to restore to an earlier time before most of the troubleshooting.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Solver

Are you using Windows XP SP2 or SP1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch2k2
Unfortunately, things have gone from bad to worse. Since I uninstalled and reinstalled Tivo Desktop (several times now) the PC has been flashing the "Beacon Service Not Running" error, and trying to manually start the Tivo Beacon from the services panel in WinXP produces an error 1359.

Crap.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
mitch2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solver
Are you using Windows XP SP2 or SP1?
SP2.
Quote:
If you have System Restore running in XP, you might want to try to restore to an earlier time before most of the troubleshooting.
Unfortunately, some housecleaning on the C: drive eliminated all but the most recent restore point, which I think was after the trouble began.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #13
lafos

I'd uninstall TD, then run a registry cleanup tool, such as ccleaner. Might not hurt to run the disk error check from Windows to make sure you don't have issues with the file indices, or lost fragments, etc. Make sure your PC runs normally for the things you do the most, then try to install TD again.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
mitch2k2

Well, after much, much (much!) trial and error, uninstalling and reinstalling TD, Galleon, and Zone Alarm, I've got access to the PC (via Galleon, I think).

But now the server in Now Playing will go into the first subdirectory (which has subfolders for Movies, Shows, and Other) and will even go into Shows, but then it is stuck in an unending loop, showing the same folders no matter which you try to drill down into (by Select or Right on the Tivo remote).

This is really getting old.

I'll try lafos' suggestion.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
mitch2k2

By the way, I've uninstalled and completely cleaned the registry as per lafo's suggestion. No dice. Also ran disk check and all is well on the drive. Based on armooo's reply in this thread, I'm inclined to think the issue is one with TiVo service update 8.3, and none of the other possible components.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #16
ThatBozGuy

Galleon dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch2k2
Well, after much, much (much!) trial and error, uninstalling and reinstalling TD, Galleon, and Zone Alarm, I've got access to the PC (via Galleon, I think).

But now the server in Now Playing will go into the first subdirectory (which has subfolders for Movies, Shows, and Other) and will even go into Shows, but then it is stuck in an unending loop, showing the same folders no matter which you try to drill down into (by Select or Right on the Tivo remote).
I just came here and posted above for the same problem, I have what sounds like the same setup, (zonealarm just updated earlier this week and so on)

I went through what sounds like all the same steps re install blah blah blah.

It is definitely not a firewall issue or port or any of that.

Galleon is talking to my tivo fine. In fact in galleon go back I can get files listed ONCE but then it never changes no matter how deep I go or how I try to move around the directory tree. I can even get files transfered when they are lsited so its not pc to tivo communication.

It is strictly how the tivo is communicating directory structure and directory selection command structure back and forth seems to have been broken by the update.

Of special note this update had a specific bug fix for directory listing in the now playing list and Im willing to bet its that code change that has killed galleon go back.

Can anyone confirm that galleon is not updating anymore and if so this killed galleon is there another program that has the same goback(sub directory driven) functionality. Desktop does not do subdirectories.

Thanks

BOZ
ThatBozGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #17
mitch2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBozGuy
Can anyone confirm that galleon is not updating anymore and if so this killed galleon is there another program that has the same goback(sub directory driven) functionality. Desktop does not do subdirectories.
As far as I know, Galleon has ceased development and/or support. But the thing is, this same behavior is exhibiting with other GoBack type programs, including both Tivo.net and pyTivo.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #18
Airey001

Yeah the galleon developer stopped his work back in February of 2006.

Here is the link to the Galleon website with his reasoning:

http://galleon.tv/component/option,com_jd-wp/Itemid,62/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Server with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
services

I am really missing Tivo OS 8.1 right now. Most stuff worked with it!
Airey001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #19
Airey001

I think I found a temporary work around and possible why 3rd party (Galleon, Tivo.Net, and others) apps are acting in the weird behavior all of a sudden for sub folders

First the Workaround:

Once you try to access the subfolder you want iand you receive the incorrect listing f you select any (First Show being easiest) then left arrow back you will now be in the correct subfolders.

Its not a fix but at least it get you back into the correct subfolders.

While trying to look into what is going on here I turned on Galleon's "Debug Logging" Features and when I tryed to access a empty subfolder called "DVD's" this is what shows up in my logs.

21:20:32,154 DEBUG [VideoServer] VideoServer - 192.168.xxx.xxx
21:20:32,221 DEBUG [VideoServer] VideoServer - /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=GalleonRecordin gs%2FDVD%26apos%3Bs&SortOrder=!CaptureDate&ItemCount=8&Filte r=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F*
21:20:32,222 DEBUG [VideoServer] VideoServer - 192.168.xxx.xxx
21:20:32,223 DEBUG [VideoServer] FileSystemContainer - getItems:
21:20:32,339 DEBUG [VideoServer] VideoServer - /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=GalleonRecordin gs%2FAvatar%20The%20Last%20Airbender&SortOrder=!CaptureDate& ItemCount=8&AnchorItem=http%3A%2F%2F192.168.xxx.xxx%3A8081%2 FTiVoConnect%2FGalleonRecordings%252FAvatar%2BThe%2BLast%2BA irbender%252FLake%2BLaogai%2B%2528Recorded%2BFri%2BNov%2B3%2 B2006%2B07%2B58PM%2BNIK%2529.TiVo&AnchorOffset=-4&Filter=x-tivo-container%2Ftivo-videos,x-tivo-container%2Ffolder,video%2Fx-tivo-mpeg,video%2F*

Now looking at the logs I see my request for the "DVD'S" Folder
Then I see right after that a second request for the one folders the system seems hung up on.

For some reason it seems on the 3rd party apps when you try to browse subfolders the Tivo is sending more then one request. First seems to be for the correct folder then a second request for the folder that seems to be stuck.

This seems to further the point that the issue is not with the 3rd party apps but an issue with the new 8.3 code.

Any one else agree of have their own theory?

Server with
and
services

I am really missing Tivo OS 8.1 right now. Most stuff worked with it!
Airey001 is offline   Reply With Quote