TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #1471
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

zogger, Turn off (unplug) the power to your TiVo. carefully pull down the front door of the DVD tray. It is purely cosmetic and it will open easily. Behind that door you will see the actual DVD drive tray. Below the tray is a small circular opening. Take the end of a paper clip, insert it into the hole and gently push. Note: the paperclip should be as close as you can get to straight & level. The tray should open enough for you to be able to pull it open and retreive the DVD.

Plug it back in and hopefully (if the DVD really was the cause of the problem) you'll be back in business.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #1472
zogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
zogger, Turn off (unplug) the power to your TiVo. carefully pull down the front door of the DVD tray. It is purely cosmetic and it will open easily. Behind that door you will see the actual DVD drive tray. Below the tray is a small circular opening. Take the end of a paper clip, insert it into the hole and gently push. Note: the paperclip should be as close as you can get to straight & level. The tray should open enough for you to be able to pull it open and retreive the DVD.

Plug it back in and hopefully (if the DVD really was the cause of the problem) you'll be back in business.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately behind the cosmetic door is nothing but the actual drive and there's no circular opening. I looked earlier hoping to find a manual release as can be found often on a regular DVD player. No such luck and Toshiba is less than no help at all. Again - thanks for trying!

My next step is to remove the cover and see if by removing the DVD drive I can find a way to manually open it.

Last edited by zogger : 04-10-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Incomplete
zogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #1473
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogger
Unfortunately behind the cosmetic door is nothing but the actual drive and there's no circular opening. I looked earlier hoping to find a manual release as can be found often on a regular DVD player.
Actually, the manual eject hole is there, it's just hidden beneath the plastic bevel. If you shine a flashlight in and look on the left-hand side of the drive, just past the end of the HDD light on the outside frame, you'll see it. It's a sharp angle, though. I just tried on mine to manually open the door and was not able to ... you might have better luck.

You might be better off just opening the case.

I guess the other question is ... are you sure it's the DVD? Where exactly does it reboot? Do you get to TiVo Central, or is it happening on the "Please Wait" or "Almost There" screens?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #1474
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

It's there, but like windracer said, it's hidden pretty well. On my unit it is about 1 to 1 1/4 inch from the left side of the drive. It is at a very awkward angle. I've been able to use it to open my drive, so I know it works. You might have to fish around a little first.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #1475
ashu
User title defunct

Also try keeping the Eject button pressed as you power up the RSTX - I *think* I've had success with this procedure with my Humax DRT (essentially identical unit)

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:43 AM   #1476
zogger

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have another look. Regarding the reboot routine, it gets to the point of asking me press Select to accept the component video hookup and then goes back to the startup and I get the Please Wait, Almost there messages but never get to Tivo Central. Weaknees wants to sell me a new HDD drive, but since it was working fine until I inserted the DVD, I'm guessing that it is the culprit so want to try and verify that is the case before scrapping the drive.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #1477
zogger

By removing the cover and pulling out the DVD drive I was able to get at the eject hole. Once I removed the DVD it powered up just fine. Now if I could just figure out how a DVD could cause the DMS to do what it did......
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #1478
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yeah, that is really strange! Glad you were able to fix it though.

|
Old 04-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #1479
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Totally uneducated guess in 3...

Since the Tivo is basically a computer, maybe it was trying to boot off of the DVD drive for some crazy reason.

Stupid computerses. I hates computerses. They are always spying on me and making me go to the internet.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #1480
ashu
User title defunct

"Stupid" Computerses? No - they're my Precious(es)!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #1481
zogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
Totally uneducated guess in 3...

Since the Tivo is basically a computer, maybe it was trying to boot off of the DVD drive for some crazy reason.

Stupid computerses. I hates computerses. They are always spying on me and making me go to the internet.
Hadn't thought of the possibility that the DMS was trying to boot off the DVD drive and it makes sense. Given that Toshiba offers next to nothing in terms of support, we are left to making it up.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #1482
windracer
joined the 10k club

Hook up a USB keyboard, press F1 to get into the BIOS, and remove the DVD drive from the boot order.

just kidding, of course

So what DVD was it?

|
Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #1483
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Hook up a USB keyboard, press F1 to get into the BIOS, and remove the DVD drive from the boot order.

just kidding, of course

So what DVD was it?
HOW TO: Boot a TiVo From Your DVD Drive In 3 Easy Steps.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #1484
lafos

I just picked up a RS-TX20 and I like it! No need for a splitter or Standby, as the RF goes through no matter what. Is this unique to the TX20 and TX60? I know that I have to put my SD-H400's in standby to get RF passthrough, and my SA S2 boxes need standby or splitters.

It's also nice and quiet, which helps as it's in the bedroom. The only downside is it's very slow to show the guide or the menu when it's on live TV (several seconds). It's on version 8.1 now, but I put it on the priority list for the next update.

Is the slowness typical of this model?
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #1485
azitnay

The RF passthrough at all times is unique to the DVD burner models AFAIK, so that's the Pioneer 57H and 810H, Toshiba RS-TX20 and RS-TX60, and Humax DRT400 and DRT800.

Since the RS-TX units are based on TiVo's 5xx (Series 2.5) hardware, they are a bit slower than older units such as 1xx and 2xx models... Some people complain that it's too slow, and some people live with it. Personally, we're still using our RS-TX20 as the main DVD player on the plasma in the living room, as well as a third (albeit not HD) TiVo tuner for the busier TV nights, and it's not unbearable for me.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #1486
windracer
joined the 10k club

My TX20 has been slower as of late, and has even started stuttering when watching Live TV behind in the buffer. I think it started when I upgraded the HD earlier this year, so I'm wondering if I messed something up with regards to swap space or something like that. I just haven't had the chance to put the original drive back in to see if performance improves.

|
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #1487
blacknoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafos
I just picked up a RS-TX20 and I like it!
Where did you find yours?
blacknoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #1488
tmcguire
RS-TX60 Owner

Connection questions. I have the RS-TX60 and as you know it has several outputs. Can you use all of them simultaneously or are they just options.

My true question is... can i run Component (RGB) to my TV and also run Composite (Standard RCA) to my Video Distribution Box. The video distribution box, broadcasts the inputs on my own "in house" channel. The reason I want to connect this way is because the signal is not that great over coax, but I can live with it on my bedroom TV if I want to watch something on Tivo.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #1489
Chester_Lampwick

They all output simultaneously. You should be good to go with wideo distribution.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #1490
MeImmortal1

connecting 2 toshiba tivos together?

I have a Toshiba SD-400 in one room and a Toshiba RS-TX20 in the other. Can I link them up in order to watch programs I've recorded on one, in the other room? I use the regualr phone line to connect them. Maybe I need to get that wireless thing? I am new to Tivo and new to the board, so any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated, I'm not very tech savvy Thanks in advance
MeImmortal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #1491
azitnay

You do indeed need to connect them to the same ethernet network (and wireless is one way of doing that) to get MRV to work... But you also need to subscribe them both to TiVo Plus (I only mention this in case one or both are currently on the free TiVo Basic).

Drew
Old 04-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #1492
slharp

I have two Toshiba rs-tx20 machines. One works well the other freezes at least once per day. I replaced the HDD in the problem machine with one from WeaKnees. Still freezes at least once per day. Have to power it down and restart it every day. Any suggestions?
slharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #1493
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknoi
Where did you find yours?
ebay. A vendor had a few used units a few months ago. It came in good working order, sans remote or manual. The OFA URC6131 remote works fine, as do Harmony or the Tivo peanut.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #1494
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcguire
Connection questions. I have the RS-TX60 and as you know it has several outputs. Can you use all of them simultaneously or are they just options.

My true question is... can i run Component (RGB) to my TV and also run Composite (Standard RCA) to my Video Distribution Box. The video distribution box, broadcasts the inputs on my own "in house" channel. The reason I want to connect this way is because the signal is not that great over coax, but I can live with it on my bedroom TV if I want to watch something on Tivo.
Let me know if this works. The Toshiba has a menu item for interlaced vs. progressive. All of my TVs with component need progressive output, but none of them like progressive on composite or s-video. I don't know that you can have one interlaced and one progressive, but I doubt it, as there's only one option for all outputs.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #1495
ashu
User title defunct

The progressive setting only affects the Component outputs, AFAIR. I'm quite sure I have my RSTX20 connected to my received by SVideo and Component (progressive) simultaneously.

In any case, progressive changes only the Component output from 480i to 480p ... and depending on the quality of the deinterlacer in you TV, it may do a better job than forcing Progressive on your DVD player or Toshiba TiVo/DVD's Component output!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #1496
lafos

Well, that's another difference from the SD-H400, then. I know that if I flip the external switch to progressive, then I lose the picture from composite and s-video.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #1497
ashu
User title defunct

Really? I'll have to try this while I have my SDH400 downstairs with access to a Progressive-capable TV!

(side note ... I *FINALLY* dumped the dead 80Gig drive and replaced it with a 250! After paying the sub fee for it for ... I've lost count how many months ... while it was dead! Thanks for the various image files, folks - you know who you are )

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 04-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #1498
morgancva

TX20 playback pause fits and what can I expect please?

Hello, I am new here. My TX20 is about 2 1/2 years old. I'm getting the "pause n' play fits" during playback during a recorded show and during live TV that hasn't caught up to real time. Also have had a couple of screens freeze after hitting stop.

From what I gather here, this is likely the start of a dying HD although I did see a post that said they still got them after a replacement HD (didn't yet find further responses but I am curious).

It's still under a Best Buy extended warranty. They tell me they have to ship it out to the manufacturer per agreements and it'll take a couple of weeks.

I've read a couple of posts about a similar situation where the unit was still not happy after a couple of returns; I did not see an end result if they tried again. Any insight as to what I should expect?

I have also gathered that our power outtage a couple of days ago may have been the culprit, and that a UPS might help condition the power. If I lose power while I'm not at home, will the UPS offer a "nicer" shutdown and startup or am I only buying an hour to shutdown the TIVO if I can get to it? Also, I'm seeing a lot of cost in most UPSs; any good advice as to what I should afford would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.
morgancva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #1499
Flyinace2000

Do our boxes work with Amazon Unboxed? I ordered a show and it has yet to show up in my Now Playing list.

Thanks
-Will
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:20 AM   #1500
azitnay

It should work... You might have to call CS.

Your RS-TX is connected via ethernet and not phone, right?

Drew