Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #91
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
BBy the way, the title of this thread suggests that this only works with non cablecard Tivos. As far as I know, if you have a,a,a on anS3 with cablecards, it may well work perfectly fine. I just can't confirm it because I have not gotten around to getting the cards put in. Theoretically, it should work just fine.
All of my MRV transfers when I mistakenly had a,a,a were with cablecards, so I would expect your TTG functionality would work with cablecards, though like you I have no proof. Thanks for experimenting so carefully with all of this!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #92
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Well yay.

PyTivo was very kindly modified by its author and I was able to transfer very high change Hidef files to the S3. For example:

ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/spezial/crawford.mpg was ragged as it started up, and as it ended, but there were no blockey breakups during any of the fast motions in this short hidef clip.

http://videosan.web.fc2.com/HV10docs/index.html has two files:
HV10-05, which is a very low datarate 1440x1080 file
HV10-12, a train passing by at high speed, also 1440x1080.

Amazingly, PyTivo's mpeg decoder (FFMPEG) actually handled the train quite well. The low datarate flower was a great hidef picture.

The downsides I found- I had to lower the datarate setting down to "6Mi" which I assume to be average VBR rate. If not, I can't understand how the picture would be even vaguely as crisp as it was. Even if this is an average rate, from what little I know, I would think this is way too low for a genuine Hidef picture.

What FFMPEG appeared to do on fast motion was two things- on the passing train, the detail of the foreground portion of the train was grainey, while the stationary objects were razor sharp. Secondly, during some motion on a camcorder shot of my daughter's classroom, the frame rate appeared to go down slightly- like maybe to 20fps- as if they just gave up and started repeating frames.

I also saw blockiness at the very beginning of the Crawford test file, and at the very end- I chalked that one up to some transition problem- either the encoder, or the S3, but from my armchair, I'd wager much easier to deal with.

The largest problem occured while I was playing back the train file before it had completely transfered. I got pretty rough with it, FF'ing up to the point it was just delivering, then triple REW back. Anyway, something happenned to the S3's ability to play back audio from any show from the Now playing list. Most of the time everything was just silent, but on test files, audio would play very intermittently. Video was unaffected. I tried a few things to get it back to normal, but gave up after not too long and restarted. Everything was back to normal after that, and I could not repro by simply FF'ing and REW'ing in an already transfered show. Something about an in progress transfer had some bugs. The workaround for such a bug is pretty easy- just start the transfer 10 minutes early and you'll never get up to the "just loaded" bits where the problem seems to occur.

In files I first encoded using a ulead media studio, I could get 20mbps (max VBR) rates on the daughter camcorder as well as CGould's charm video. The Train one I never did very well at- I couldn't even get 15mbps to work, but it wasn't like I knew what I was doing either.

Anyway, for all I know the S3 will be tuned for such transfers and FFMPEG will be able to transfer at much greater rates.

As of this point in time, what I have seen in these tests is that workable functionality for even Hidef files could be expected for TivoToGoBack transfers. Certainly, what is workable for gearheads like us is nowhere close to where products have to be for civilians. I have no way of telling how close they are. I have related the data I have collected. It's probably not enough to draw conclusions from, but what the heck- this is the blogosphere.

If Photos would be helpful on the graininess/ what this blockiness is that I am talking about, I can shoot a few more illustrations. They may well have more to do with the encoder than they do the S3, so I hesitate to document these artifacts. I could also take some shots of the Crawford sequence so that comparison could be made with the file played on a computer.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 AM   #93
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

There seems to be two schools of thought on how folks can take matters into their own hands and get TivoToComeBack working now on their S3's.

One seems to be that you can socket your S3 and change the PROM code, then change the TivoToGo bits. The second method seems to be that the PROM step is unnecessary.

Whichever party is correct, I think there are a lot of folks that would be interested in learning how to do the part about changing the TivoToGo bits to a,a,a. The rest of it- hard drive manipulation and how to socket an S3 need not be covered that stuff is well coverred in DDB.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote