TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #271
slestak

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer

MRV should be working assuming a) all of your TiVos have the same MAK and b) they are all on the same subnet.
All three use tivo wireless G adapters, so they all associate with the same AP. They are all on the 192.168.0 network.

Quote:

Try the Advanced Troubleshooting screen. It's under Messages & Settings, Troubleshooting, Transfers, then press Enter.
I went through those steps. No joy.

I wonder. The newest tivo may not have the media access key set. Is that set by the network update from tivo by the DVR preferences? If one of the three does not have it set, i wonder if that will prevent all of MRV from working on the lan...

Thanks.

btw. I went to the localhost url for my pyTivo server and I do see the media folder i set up on there, so I know its just the tivo's at this point.
slestak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #272
windracer
joined the 10k club

I would think that even if one TiVo on the LAN did not have a MAK, the others would still be able to communucate. Have you checked the Advanced Troubleshooting screen on the old boxes (the ones with the MAK)?

Can you access the https interface on all three boxes using your browser?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #273
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Now, no matter what folder I pick, I'm presented with two subfolders: Season 1 and Season 2. If I pick one of those folders I'm just shown Season 1 and Season 2 again.
Well, this might not be pyTivo's fault. I switched back to TiVo.Net and am seeing similar strange subfolder results.

|
Old 04-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #274
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufftissue
Just to know:

does tivo.net or pytivo work on the series 3 tivos? That's what I have and maybe that's why it isn't working for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow
Nope!
It doesn't work on S3's only because the system settings for TivoToGo are i,i,i on practically every S3 in Tivodom. However, there are a few lucky folks that have TivoToGo accidentally enabled on their machines, apparently due to some configuration Snafu during installation. I don't know how it happenned on my machine, but I have a,a,a. There may be a way to hack the S3 to set the flags, but there is no concensus on the subject. In any case, I can't confirm there is any way to switch the TTG flags from i,i,i to a,a,a.

Anyway, I can report that PyTivo works on an S3. I have transfered both .mpg and .divx shows. As I reported earlier this week in another thread, I have done the same with Tivo.Net.

If there are any experiments I can run, let me know. My pytivo.conf has no special settings- as installed except for path.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #275
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Ok, just for fun I tried:
width = 1440
height = 720
video_br=12Mi

My old version of PyTivo (182) output it as 720x480, yuv420p. Input was a 1440x1080 25mbps VBR hidef mpeg2.

Should have given me 720 or 1080 high, so I can't confirm HD transfers. Anyway, PyTivo on the S3 is great.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #276
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
Ok, just for fun I tried:
width = 1440
height = 720
video_br=12Mi

My old version of PyTivo (182) output it as 720x480, yuv420p. Input was a 1440x1080 25mbps VBR hidef mpeg2.

Should have given me 720 or 1080 high, so I can't confirm HD transfers. Anyway, PyTivo on the S3 is great.
pyTIvo is setup to only allow height/width settings that are supported by s2 tivos. If you edit line 44 and 47 in Config.py you can add the new sizes.

I just updated it to support 1440x720 output version 186. It looks to output a correct mpeg (I think we should be padding the bottom 4 lines or something but I am not)

Input #0, avi, from '/media/media/video/Bleach/[DB]_Bleach_55_[E8C96F59].avi':
Duration: 00:24:34.8, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 967 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x480, 23.98 fps(r)
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 128 kb/s
Output #0, vob, to 'pipe:':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 1440x720, q=2-31, 4096 kb/s, 29.97 fps(c)
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 44100 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 AM   #277
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Okey dokey. The machine I have there is not configured for anything but casual mucking with Python, so I'll just pick up your fix and report back. I have no way of guessing what standard resolution and framerate Tivo will eventually recommend for transcoding to the S3. 1440x1080 appears to be the commonest format for Hidef applications and camcorders, but it is a lot of data and I seem to swamp the decode buffer. I have found 15mbps VBRs generally work on the S3, but it went blockey on me during fast change sequences. I didn't play with it long enough to figure out a 95% solution, but Tivo devs may retune the decoder as part of support for tivoToComeBack, making all such preliminary work pointless.

By the way, thanks a solution that would run on Linux. It was a curious language to choose- Odd language because of the whitespace philosophy, but I have found it exceptionally powerful for large volumes of text manipulation.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #278
dlfl
Cranky old novice

@armoo -- re: ver 186 changes

In transcode.py at line 91:

this:
Code:
                   if endHeight < 470:
is replaced by this:
Code:
 if endHeight < TIVO_HEIGHT * 0.01:
I'm having a hard time seeing how that could be correct. Now you are comparing it to a number like 1% of 480 (i.e., 4.8) or 1% of 720 (i.e., 7.2).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #279
johnkfisher

Exec Format Error

Problem I'm seeing:

Installed it today - pyTivo 186, OS X 10.4.9, Python 2.5 from the installer on the macpython site, the ffmpeg build linked to from the pytivo site.

I begin pytivo, and my share(s) show up on the now playing list. However, selecting them from the tivo shows "cannot be displayed because of an unknown error" .

When I look at the console, I see the following:

Quote:
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.2.3', 1283)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 463, in process_request_thread
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 521, in __init__
self.handle()
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
self.handle_one_request()
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
method()
File "/Users/jkfisher/Desktop/pyTivo/httpserver.py", line 64, in do_GET
method(self, query)
File "/Users/jkfisher/Desktop/pyTivo/plugins/video/video.py", line 81, in QueryContainer
t.files, t.total, t.start = self.get_files(handler, query, VideoFileFilter)
File "/Users/jkfisher/Desktop/pyTivo/plugin.py", line 52, in get_files
files = filter(filterFunction, files)
File "/Users/jkfisher/Desktop/pyTivo/plugins/video/video.py", line 75, in VideoFileFilter
return transcode.suported_format(full_path)
File "/Users/jkfisher/Desktop/pyTivo/plugins/video/transcode.py", line 293, in suported_format
if video_info(inFile)[0]:
File "/Users/jkfisher/Desktop/pyTivo/plugins/video/transcode.py", line 224, in video_info
ffmpeg = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 593, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/subprocess.py", line 1051, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error
I cry a little inside.
I'm very hopeful to get this working, as I have, oh, 600 shows or so and it's just too unwieldy in the flat-file format of the Tivo Desktop.
johnkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #280
tusk1113

aspect issue

i've tried looking through the posts, but can't seem to find an answer for this one. i'm using build 186 on my linux box and my ffmpeg is outputting everything at 480 tall.

I've looked in my pytivo conf, and i anloy have the width defined. i cannot get it to keep the ratio the same without entering a definition for the height (which makes the whole thing a huge pain) i've used it on my windows box with no problems but i've just built dedicated linux box for using this.

so what am i just being an idiot about? i assume i'm just missing something simple, but i can't figure out what it is.
tusk1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #281
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

I posted the PyTivo results on the S3 thread about MRV/TTG

The short version of the story is Yay!

The slightly longer version is that PyTIvo/FFMPEG did remarkably well on the Hidef test files. I verified I was getting 720p because I told the S3 to display Native, and in that mode, my televion tells me when it is switching to other resolutions, and what those resolutions are.

Bad news is that I had to go all the way down to 6Mi in order to get uniform results, even on the acid test high motion HD test files. Is this average or minimum VBR bitrate? I am baffled how the picture could be as nice as it was if that was the max or absolute bitrate.

Other bad news is that I was able to force the S3 to stop playing sound for any show- had to reboot. So the TTG stuff they have is tantilizingly close, but still not ready for prime time.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #282
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusk1113
i've tried looking through the posts, but can't seem to find an answer for this one. i'm using build 186 on my linux box and my ffmpeg is outputting everything at 480 tall.

I've looked in my pytivo conf, and i anloy have the width defined. i cannot get it to keep the ratio the same without entering a definition for the height (which makes the whole thing a huge pain) i've used it on my windows box with no problems but i've just built dedicated linux box for using this.

so what am i just being an idiot about? i assum:3 e i'm just missing something simple, but i can't figure out what it is.
See my post #278 above. If my understanding of this is correct it could cause prolbems of the nature you are experiencing. Try ver. 185 (?)

However I would also note that even when ffmpeg is letterboxing to achieve aspects other than 4:3 on a 4:3 TV, you will still see 480 as the height when it is encoding. If you look at the actual command sent to ffmpeg however, you will see -padtop and -padbottom options and the -s option (size) will not be 480 height. pyTivo adjusts these three options so the total is 480 and that's what you see in the encoding info as ffmpeg runs. Your TiVo needs 480 lines. Letterboxing is achieved by just making some of them black lines.

and
Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #283
johnkfisher

Let me withdraw my previous Exec format error question - it worked when I replaced the provided ffmpeg with the one from Visualhub. My guess is that, as my media box is an older PPC mac, maybe that was the problem, but not sure. either way, fixed.
johnkfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #284
tusk1113

dlfl,

thanks, rolling back to 185 did the trick. sorry for not recognizing your post above as being the solution, but python is not QUITE a language i understand
tusk1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #285
slestak

Quote:

Can you access the interface on all three boxes using your browser?
Can anyone post the url needed? Not the pyTivo url, I have already verified that.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #286
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by slestak
Can anyone post the url needed? Not the pyTivo url, I have already verified that.
https://{your TiVo IP}

Login with a username of 'tivo' and your MAK as the password.

|
Old 04-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #287
slestak

Quote:

Login with a username of 'tivo' and your MAK as the password.
I thought this was failing, but it does work... pebcak...problem exists between computer and keyboard...

my two original tivos, i can log into. the newer one (bought used on ebay) i can log in, but it tells me

This feature is not supported. The TiVo license agreement allows you to transfer content to up to ten devices within your household, but not outside your household. Unauthorized transfers or distribution of copyrighted works outside of your home may constitute a copyright infringement. TiVo reserves the right to terminate the TiVo service accounts of users who transfer or distribute content in violation of this Agreement.

I hope i didnt get a good deal on a non-mrv unit. Can all series 2's do hmo and mrv? Its running version 8.1a of the tivo software.

I verified the media access key on it is mine.

Last edited by slestak : 04-09-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #288
windracer
joined the 10k club

What model are they? This won't work on S3s.

|
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #289
slestak

tcd540 80 hour unit. unhacked. the other two are 649's.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #290
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusk1113
dlfl,

thanks, rolling back to 185 did the trick. sorry for not recognizing your post above as being the solution, but python is not QUITE a language i understand
You're welcome! Note the problem I saw has been fixed in Ver. 187, in case you want to try it.

and
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #291
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by slestak
I thought this was failing, but it does work... pebcak...problem exists between computer and keyboard...

my two original tivos, i can log into. the newer one (bought used on ebay) i can log in, but it tells me

This feature is not supported. The TiVo license agreement allows you to transfer content to up to ten devices within your household, but not outside your household. Unauthorized transfers or distribution of copyrighted works outside of your home may constitute a copyright infringement. TiVo reserves the right to terminate the TiVo service accounts of users who transfer or distribute content in violation of this Agreement.

I hope i didnt get a good deal on a non-mrv unit. Can all series 2's do hmo and mrv? Its running version 8.1a of the tivo software.

I verified the media access key on it is mine.
Well, that disclaimer appears at the bottom of the web-based NPL. You should see it at the bottom of each page. So you're saying on the third box, you just get the disclaimer text and no list of recordings?

Yes, all S2s with a subscription on the same account are eligible for MRV.

|
Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #292
slestak

Quote:
Well, that disclaimer appears at the bottom of the web-based NPL. You should see it at the bottom of each page. So you're saying on the third box, you just get the disclaimer text and no list of recordings?

Yes, all S2s with a subscription on the same account are eligible for MRV.
Well, there is nothing in the npl, so yes, it is empty.

So basically, I do have access to all three via browser. Also verified that a single instance of tivoserver 2.3a can dl .tivo files from the dvrs, and pics and music can be seen from this win pc to the tivos. THey just cannot see each other. I have been working with tivo level 2 support for about an hour now. Will report back.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #293
windracer
joined the 10k club

So your "new" box doesn't have any recordings on it? I guess that explains the empty NPL.

Definitely something strange going on. Good luck with TiVo support.

|
Old 04-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #294
slestak

After 2 hours with tivo support, still not quite there. We ended up disabling Allow Transfers for all dvr's then reenabling it. Im going to give it a few days.

The new dvr has had items in its npl, when i rented from unbox. I intended to use this as just a "pytivo headunit". I have a comcast hddvr on the same tv that everyone uses for series links and whatnot.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #295
tadtadtadtadtad

pytivo newbie How do I sart this thing

How DO I get pyTivo running? I see a bunch of files that end in py but I'm not sure what to do. I'm trying to switch from TIVOdotnet because it quits working each time I reinstall it. Works for 2 weeks then nothing. I've tried 4 versions with no luck and would like to get pyTivo working. I've downloaded all the appropriate files but can't figure out what to do with them. Python is installed and running.
Please help me out.
tadtadtadtadtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #296
slestak

tad* ,

have you looked at the wiki? there are instructions for running pytivo on several os's.

http://pytivo.armooo.net/
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #297
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadtadtadtadtad
How DO I get pyTivo running? I see a bunch of files that end in py but I'm not sure what to do. I'm trying to switch from TIVOdotnet because it quits working each time I reinstall it. Works for 2 weeks then nothing. I've tried 4 versions with no luck and would like to get pyTivo working. I've downloaded all the appropriate files but can't figure out what to do with them. Python is installed and running.
Please help me out.
You didn't say what OS you are using -- I will assume Windows.

Quote:
You may want to create a desktop shortcut to the pyTivo.py file. The program is started by double-clicking pyTivo.py (or the shortcut).
This is a quote from the pyTivo wiki. It also tells you how to install it as a Windows service. And it tells you how to install it for Linux and MAC OSX.

When it runs all you will see is a black Windows command window, which you can minimize. You should see the videos you put in your PC pyTivo video folders showing up on your TiVo NPL (Now Playing List).

To shut pyTivo down just close the command window.

You didn't know there was a Wiki ? I've been nagging Armoo (the author of pyTivo) to edit his first post in this thread to make the presence of a WiKi more obvious......

and
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #298
TracerBullet

I had everything working but I changed something in my conf file and now I can't see any videos either from a browser or the TiVo- however, the TiVo can see the folder. When I open it, it returns the message "The Videos PC's Now Playing List could not be displayed because of an unknown error."

This is what my conf file looks like:

[Server]
aspect169=true
GUID={318B9C6C-3EDE-4D2C-B2B7-C234F5EF2775}
guid = {7E481A56-0F09-4FC7-B153-5EB30817E402}
ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
width = 720
port = 9032

[PC Videos]
path = G:\BitComet Downloads
type = video

#Full path to ffmpeg including filename
#For windows: ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
#For linux: ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
ffmpeg=C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

#This will make a large debug.txt file in you base directory. It only debugs
#transcode.py right now.
#debug=false

# Audio bit-rate, default 192K
#audio_br=192K

# Video bit-rate, default 4096K
#video_br=3Mi

#Beacon broadcast address(es)
#Typically use 255.255.255.255 but on some multihomed machines you may
#need to specify the subnet broadcast address(es) of your Tivo boxes
#beacon=255.255.255.255

#Output Pixel Width: if you have an HDTV you might want to try 720 or 704
#Valid: 720, 704, 544, 480, 352
#width=704

##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
#[_tivo_2400000DEADBEEF]

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
#aspect169=true

#Path is the full path to your files (No trailing slash needed)
#For windows: path=c:\videos
#For linux: path=/media
path=d:\video

##You can have more than one share
#[MyTelevision]
#type=video
#path=d:\television

Last edited by TracerBullet : 04-12-2007 at 07:58 PM.
TracerBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #299
armooo
pyTivo Developer

You can try:

Quote:
[Server]

ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
width = 720
port = 9032

[PC Videos]
path = G:\BitComet Downloads
type = video
Also if you are running it in the command prompt do you see an error. It it is running as a windows service check C:\Program Files\pyTivo\log.txt

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #300
mkleiman

Cache Problems?

After successfully using pyTiVo for several weeks, it started exhibiting strange behavior recently. Although pyTiVo displayed, transferred and transcoded any videos in the "root" of my share folders properly, I started have weird behavior when trying to access videos in subfolders. pyTiVo displayed the contents of every one of my subfolders as though they contained the three video in one specific subfolder (in other words, every subfolder showed the three files that are actually in the subfolder called "The Tudors"). Then, when I moved the specific subfolder away, pyTiVo now displays that the contents of all my subfolders are empty.

Based on this behavior, I suspect this is a cache issue. Perhaps my cache is corrupted or frozen, and pyTiVo isn't rescanning the share folders to correct the problem.

Is there a way to force a rescan, dump the cache, or otherwise diagnose this?

Last edited by mkleiman : 04-13-2007 at 09:53 AM.
mkleiman is offline   Reply With Quote