TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #1561
cryptmagic

Question for TWC NYC customers, how much are you paying for your cable cards? I was looking to get two tivos so i need 4 cards, and supposedly TWC has a wierd pricing plan.
cryptmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #1562
T-Shee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptmagic
Question for TWC NYC customers, how much are you paying for your cable cards? I was looking to get two tivos so i need 4 cards, and supposedly TWC has a wierd pricing plan.
If you can afford two S3 units, the monthly charge for 4 cable cards shouldn't be a deal breaker:

As of 4/1/07, it's $1.75 per card, plus $2.00 outlet fee per Tivo box. That adds up to $11.00. Subtract the monthly charge for each cable box that is returned to TWC and you should come to about $5.10/month additional after the cards are installed.

There's a one-time installation fee of about $40, reasonable considering how many times they'll be coming to your place to get these to work, unless they've gotten their act together in the last 3 months, which i doubt.

Examine your cable bill the following month. TWCNYC tried to double-bill for the outlet charges: its $2.00 per S3 box, NOT $2.00 per card as they tried to charge.
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #1563
Merejane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptmagic
I am a TWC NYC customer. Here's a cut-and-paste from my online account showing the charges relating to my recent (and not yet fully successful) installation of two cable cards in one TiVo S3:

03-28-07 INSTALLATION CHARGE $ 30.30
03-28-07 CABLE CARD ADDL OUTLET 03/28 TO 04/19 $ 3.14
03-28-07 CABLE CARD $ 1.29
03-28-07 DTV ADD'L SET @ $2.50 EA $ 1.85
03-28-07 CABLE CARD ADDL OUTLET 03/28 TO 04/19 $ 3.14
03-28-07 CABLE CARD $ 1.29
03-28-07 DTV ADD'L SET @ $2.50 EA $ 1.85

Laying it out a little more clearly, the charges per card seem to be:
  1. $1.29 for the cable card itself
  2. $3.14 for a "Cable Card Addl Outlet" (for part of the month), and
  3. $1.85 for "DTV Add'l Set" (I'm not sure how that relates to the "@ $2.50" that I see; maybe it's for the partial month)
That's $6.28 per card, for a total of $12.56; presumably it will be more when I have to pay for a full month. That sounds like a lot, doesn't it?

I understand from T-Shee's post that I should challenge at least one of the double charges (for the "cable card addl outlet," I guess), but what's with the other double charge, for the "DTV add'l set"? Does anyone have any insight into these charges? I have searched TWC's not-very-helpful website and cannot find anything there.
____

P.S. BTW, I did not turn in my set-top box. I had them split the cable to the tv and run it to a second tv in my bedroom. I use the set-top box on that tv, with my old S2 TiVo. The fee for that set-top box is included in my $99.95 Entertainet Pack. (According to my online statement, that $99.95 covers "Basic Service, Remote(s) @ $0.25 Ea, Standard Service, Converter(s) @ $7.40 Ea, ., DTV, Road Runner Online Svc.")
Merejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #1564
gteague
golftango

i'm in dallas/fort worth with time-warner. the tech came late in the day on wednesday.

after some hassle and general clueless behavior on the part of both the field tech and the dispatcher, the tivo recognized both cards eventually in spite of their best efforts in the opposite direction.

one card worked perfectly although i did have to call to get 4 hd tier channels activated again. i'm pretty sure the other card worked perfectly also, but i can't be absolutely sure. i spent about 3 hours tweaking and setting up future recordings.

at some point after midnight i realized the 2nd card wasn't showing premium channels and i called back in and was on the phone with the tier 1 support off and on for 6 hours. at some point early in the morning i decided a good move would be to use the tivo function to wipe everything out and start over.

bad move. after that, neither card will show premium channels and, for some reason that seems random to me, also about a dozen or two channels in other tiers that aren't encrypted--for instance, about half of the digital kid channels.

after much research my guess is that this cleared out some of the original authentication/encryption keys and i spent all day thursday trying to find someone authorized to redo things from scratch. time warner will just absolutely refuse to let such person work directly with the customer it seems. if we had unions here i'd swear it's some halfarsed way to protect the techs who have nothing to do in this process except read a couple of strings of numbers correctly.

early thursday morning the dallas center told me i could go to the cable office in arlington and pick up two new cable cards. but when i arrived they refused to provide any. they did promise to have a tech do a 'go-back' between 4 and 6pm, but no tech showed up. i called dallas again and two different supervisors promised to have someone capable of performing this operation from scratch who had complete authority call me back. no one ever did.

what a bunch of farked up hosebags. i reminded them that i had paid them $130 a month for years and yet when i ask for support i get lies and the bums rush. unfortunately i'm unable to get satellite service, so i can't even threaten to leave.

anyone who is considering the tivo s3 needs to not need the service. in other words, keep what you have until (or, better, if...) you get cablecard working. you will pay out the nose for the tivo box and pay more for the service and when you ask tivo for help they claim they are at the mercy of the cable company. someone needs to remind them that their sales are at the mercy of the cable company if they continue to refuse responsibility for helping folks get the service installed.

/guy

Last edited by gteague : 04-05-2007 at 09:44 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #1565
Merejane

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
[W]hen you ask tivo for help they claim they are at the mercy of the cable company. someone needs to remind them that their sales are at the mercy of the cable company if they continue to refuse responsibility for helping folks get the service installed./guy
I empathize with your problems with Time Warner Cable; I have had three installers come out, and I have yet to get all the channels I should be getting. But my experience with TiVo Support has been good, so far at least.

After the last installer left, having given up trying to get the cards to work the way they should, I called TiVo Support and asked whether they would be willing to help the next installer (scheduled to come here tomorrow). They said absolutely, and that they do that often. They will talk the installer through the entire process, troubleshoot, explain things like the Diagnostic Screen, etc..

My concern is not with TiVo, but that the TWC installer will not agree to deal with TiVo. Every installer who has been here so far has refused to even look at the TiVo instruction sheet, insisting they know what they're doing. Which is just ridiculous, because if they knew what they were doing, how come my cable cards STILL don't pick up all the channels I subscribe to?

Has anyone here had TiVo Support work, over the phone, with the TWC installers? If so, how did it go?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #1566
gteague
golftango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merejane
I empathize with your problems with Time Warner Cable; I have had three installers come out, and I have yet to get all the channels I should be getting. But my experience with TiVo Support has been good, so far at least.

After the last installer left, having given up trying to get the cards to work the way they should, I called TiVo Support and asked whether they would be willing to help the next installer (scheduled to come here tomorrow). They said absolutely, and that they do that often. They will talk the installer through the entire process, troubleshoot, explain things like the Diagnostic Screen, etc..

My concern is not with TiVo, but that the TWC installer will not agree to deal with TiVo. Every installer who has been here so far has refused to even look at the TiVo instruction sheet, insisting they know what they're doing. Which is just ridiculous, because if they knew what they were doing, how come my cable cards STILL don't pick up all the channels I subscribe to?

Has anyone here had TiVo Support work, over the phone, with the TWC installers? If so, how did it go?
i was told the menus that contain the diagnostics are generated by the cablecards (it seems to be true) and thus tivo knows nothing about what is in those menus. what a load of crap! i was on the phone nearly two hours arguing with a nice lady at tivo who would not budge that no one at tivo who knew anything about those screens and cablecards in general was available to talk to customers.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #1567
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague
i was told the menus that contain the diagnostics are generated by the cablecards (it seems to be true) and thus tivo knows nothing about what is in those menus. what a load of crap! i was on the phone nearly two hours arguing with a nice lady at tivo who would not budge that no one at tivo who knew anything about those screens and cablecards in general was available to talk to customers.

/guy
I believe Tivo is telling you that the content of the Cablecard 'CP' menu's are beyond their control. That content is 'owned' by the cableco and their equipment providers.

They should be reasonabally aware of what is in them though.... However, the content and meaning of that content varies from provider to provider... like Comcast.. some require pairing and some dont... If Tivo starts making assumptions and takes actions relative to those menus.. its gonna bite them so they likely dont want to get involved in those menus at all.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #1568
mbarcus

I have TWC here in Cincinnati and they added Universal HD yesterday to cover the Masters in HD. However, the channel is not showing up on my S3. Is there something I need to do to get it to show up? I've had the S3 connect back to Tivo hoping for an updated channel lineup....but nothing. Any ideas?
mbarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #1569
cableguy763

try a channel scan, or you might have to get your cards rehit.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #1570
mbarcus

The S3 won't let me do a channel scan...it says that is only when I have an antenna connected or when I don't have cablecards installed. I'll call TWC now....is there something specific I should ask them to do or just ask to have my cards "rehit"?
Thanks.
mbarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #1571
psulur

DFW update

I had been in a correspondence with Guy ("GTeague") but I thought I'd share this warning to anyone in the DFW area with an A/B dual input cable line (which applies to most of the Dallas Metroplex, at least currently). Hopefully this can be useful for anybody considering a S3 purchase (as I will now have to send my unit back 2 days after placing my order). This problem was alluded to by username "box646" on page 7 of this thread back in September, but it's actually even worse than described there -- see below:

I'm in the Dallas area (near downtown in the Turtle Creek area). Unfortunately, I realize now that I will be forced to return the Tivo unit and get a refund. I have been living in areas with the A/B switch (dual line input). If for some reason you're not familiar with this evil scourge, it renders suboptimal any dvr that you may purchase (i currently use a replay tv unit) because the available channels are split on A and B. Most of the "good" channels are on A but there are some very relevant channels (espn2, comedy, fx, history, and many more) that are on B. If I want my replaytv unit to record something on B, somebody needs to be home turn a switch from A to B and back to A after the program is done -- obviously impossible. So I simply miss out on B channels. I have had a cable box with digital cable in the past (during a free trial) and that did not require A/B switching (all channels were available without a switch, which is what happens in the normal world). I guess it was a naive of me, but I had simply assumed that cable cards would be the same way, but unfortunately it is not (you still have the A/B switch). I was even willing to tolerate that until they get rid of this A/B system (which they have been promising for years but apparently is really happening finally at some point in november '07 -- don't hold your breath though), but I found out tonight that ALL of the HD channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, etc) as well as any premium (HBO) and in-demand (e.g. NBA League Pass) are on the B side. So that basically makes the Tivo useless. I now have to get the TWC crappy dvr (so that I can maintain basic cable on my other TV's and still use my replaytv, which is not compatible with satellite) and return the Tivo unit. Unfortunately the S3 Tivo unit is not worth it at this time, and at least I'm happy I realized this before I opened the box. If they get rid of this A/B crap anytime before the early fall, I may think about jumping to Tivo again. The only silver lining is that maybe by the time they get the A/B merged, the S3 price will have dropped some more (currently about $600).
psulur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #1572
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Perhaps it's just a local (Los Angeles) promotion?

This weekend HBO and Cinemax are having free previews. Including HBO HD and CinemaxHD. I'm not currently a subscriber to either of these, but I was able to tune in just fine this morning, I set up my S3 to record/cache a few upcoming movies to enjoy for the future. Also set it up to record the season premiere of Entourage.

I saw mention of this a few months ago in my cable bill... and sure enough, this weekend it's in effect. I'm not sure why TWC didn't promote it more effectively. But there you have it.

Now go set up those recordings!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #1573
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
This weekend HBO and Cinemax are having free previews. !
Just HBO here. Comcast/Boston It's in an ad for the Sopranos.

Last edited by pl1 : 04-07-2007 at 08:59 PM.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #1574
cokyq

No free preview here in Dallas mid cities, time warner cable.
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Sony PS3 (Blu-Ray Player - NOW UPSCALES DVDs!!!)
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #1575
spolebitski

TWC Milwaukee

Has anyone had any luck with the TiVo S3 and TWC cable service? A CSR told me that I would not get any channels above 99 (HD Channels are located in the 500's). I just want to know if buying a TiVo S3 is worth it with the TWC service.

Another option is AT&T if this service in Wisconsin ever gets the go ahead, but we need to wait and see about this.
spolebitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #1576
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I had a Time Warner guy come out to install new service. He hooked up a Motorola DVR (which works but is really frickin' noisy) and a standard box (to use with my S2 unit) and two cablecards for my S3. When he walked in with the boxes, he slammed them down on the floor. Not a good sign. Then I told him my TiVo needed to connect to the internet to get info before I could insert the cable cards. So he connected my new cable modem first, then I finished guided setup while he hooked up the two cable company boxes.

So I showed him the sheet about cable card installs in the S3, but he didn't seem to feel like reading it. He says he has never seen a S3 before, and has only put cards into TV sets. This is when I knew I needed to try and take over the setup of the S3. I got ahold of the cablecards and made him go thru the steps. The cablecards looked like they had been already used... not a good sign.

We put in the first card and tried to activate it. Got a 161-something error. Uh-oh. Tried with the other card. Same thing. Tried both cards in slot two. Neither one worked. He says the dispatcher will not give him extra cards, so he has no more to try. I agreed to have someone come back out another day and try again.

Here's the thing. I discovered that the new place has an additional coax connector on the wall that apparently runs to an OTA antenna somewhere. I get all of my locals OTA perfectly through this. I think I may just cancel the cablecard nonsense and use the S3 for OTA and analog cable, and use the Motorola POS for digital cable. (I'm gonna try to swap it for a box that doesn't sound like the hard drive is dying, though.) I don't really care about the 4 channels (or whatever it is) that I need cablecards to receive.

With the money I will save without using the cablecards and additional "outlet" (pure BS) I can basically pay for 3 years of service on my S2 box. The few programs I can't get on the S3 will appear on their crapola DVR.

The whole thing still costs less than DirecTV + a DSL line, even with the TiVo fees.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #1577
stevereis

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulur
I'm in the Dallas area (near downtown in the Turtle Creek area). Unfortunately, I realize now that I will be forced to return the Tivo unit and get a refund. I have been living in areas with the A/B switch (dual line input). If for some reason you're not familiar with this evil scourge, it renders suboptimal any dvr that you may purchase (i currently use a replay tv unit) because the available channels are split on A and B. Most of the "good" channels are on A but there are some very relevant channels (espn2, comedy, fx, history, and many more) that are on B. If I want my replaytv unit to record something on B, somebody needs to be home turn a switch from A to B and back to A after the program is done -- obviously impossible. So I simply miss out on B channels. I have had a cable box with digital cable in the past (during a free trial) and that did not require A/B switching (all channels were available without a switch, which is what happens in the normal world). I guess it was a naive of me, but I had simply assumed that cable cards would be the same way, but unfortunately it is not (you still have the A/B switch). I was even willing to tolerate that until they get rid of this A/B system (which they have been promising for years but apparently is really happening finally at some point in november '07 -- don't hold your breath though), but I found out tonight that ALL of the HD channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, etc) as well as any premium (HBO) and in-demand (e.g. NBA League Pass) are on the B side. So that basically makes the Tivo useless. I now have to get the TWC crappy dvr (so that I can maintain basic cable on my other TV's and still use my replaytv, which is not compatible with satellite) and return the Tivo unit. Unfortunately the S3 Tivo unit is not worth it at this time, and at least I'm happy I realized this before I opened the box. If they get rid of this A/B crap anytime before the early fall, I may think about jumping to Tivo again. The only silver lining is that maybe by the time they get the A/B merged, the S3 price will have dropped some more (currently about $600).
I lived with a CableCard and B-side only on input to my HDTV for several months. I am in Richardson and was lucky enough to be in the first area upgraded to single-line, about the same time that the S3 came out last fall. Since October, I have been box-free with the S3.

FYI, the A-side is analog channels only, so you should be able to get all the digital channels from the B-side and into the S3. In my case, I had an S2 TiVo and an HD box so I could get all the channels but only had true HD from the TV - no DVR features - until the upgrade.

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 PM   #1578
stevereis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady
...Here's the thing. I discovered that the new place has an additional coax connector on the wall that apparently runs to an OTA antenna somewhere. I get all of my locals OTA perfectly through this. I think I may just cancel the cablecard nonsense and use the S3 for OTA and analog cable, and use the Motorola POS for digital cable. (I'm gonna try to swap it for a box that doesn't sound like the hard drive is dying, though.) I don't really care about the 4 channels (or whatever it is) that I need cablecards to receive.

With the money I will save without using the cablecards and additional "outlet" (pure BS) I can basically pay for 3 years of service on my S2 box. The few programs I can't get on the S3 will appear on their crapola DVR.

The whole thing still costs less than DirecTV + a DSL line, even with the TiVo fees.
Where are you located in DFW? I assume you are in an area with the single line upgrade. The reason I ask is because the pricing structure is changing. Until last month, I was still on my old billing plan with $5.95 outlet fees and $0 CableCard costs. Recently, when they encrypted the 2 new HD channels they added at the end of last year (HDNet and UHD), plus 2 that I had been getting (ESPN and InHD) and moved them to the new $3/mo HD Tier, I called to complain. The rep then gave me a new bundled package - "Watch N' Surf Bundle" with Digital Cable + Internet for a reduced rate. The total cost was lower so I took it. Now my bill is showing $2.95 for each CC but no additional outlet fees. Overall, my monthly cost went down about $12 with this instead of up by $3 and that's on top of the $13/mo I saved when I added the S3 and returned my HD box.

Under the new plan, CCs are $2.95, a digital box is $4.95, an HD box is $7.95 and a DVR is $12.95. I am in Richardson, so not sure how prices in other DFW regions stack up: http://www.timewarnercable.com/dalla...s/default.html

648-S3 - 750GB - TWC (2xS) + ATSC
652-HD - 160GB - TWC (1xM) + ATSC
649-S2DT - 500GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
595-DRT800 - 300GB - TWC analog + Voom ATSC
240-S2 - 420 GB - TWC analog
stevereis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:37 PM   #1579
cokyq

What? Who said S3 would only tune up to ch 99? I have S3 with TWC and TWC provides cablecards which allow S3 to tune all digital channels, particularly the HD ones! Otherwise what would be the purpose of having cablecard slots!
Phillips w/80gig drive
Sony KF-50XBR800
Sony PS3 (Blu-Ray Player - NOW UPSCALES DVDs!!!)
cokyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #1580
asills

TWC Richardson, TX (DFW)

Ordering: the CSR on the phone was very accomodating to me ordering the cable cards (I said "I need to order 2 cable cards") and gave me my new bill total and scheduled the installer to come out ($11 install, $2.95 per card).

Install: the installer was knowledgeable in CCs and overall knew what he was doing. He had trouble with the TiVo remote (couldn't find Select or Clear) but overall knew what he was doing.

The whole process took about 45 minutes from start to finish; they installer had to request the hits a couple times and had to repeat all the numbers over and over again (which made me start to feel like it wasn't going to work) and eventually the CCs started receiving channels.

He left, I repeated guided setup (I had it working in analog mode for a week) and lo and behold I'm getting all my HDs and Cable channels (well at least all that I usually try to watch).

Overall I had a great experience, 6+ months after TiVo hit the streets.
asills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #1581
pilott

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSP
TW Austin

I am in Austin using cable cards. I can receive all of the channels below 100. These are the analog channels and have been remapped to digital. Some have been remapped to 17xx, such as 06 to 1706. When to say goto 06 you get 1706.

I wish this was the case for me. I only get a handful of the channels below 100 (networks plus 1 or two others). I tried tuning to channels in the 1700s and got no luck there at all. I cant even tune to them using the test channels screen in the cablecard menu.

I cannot believe that we can't get Food TV or HGTV (among others), even in analog form (without bypassing the Tivo altogether).
pilott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #1582
Merejane

Quote:
I empathize with your problems with Time Warner Cable; I have had three installers come out, and I have yet to get all the channels I should be getting.
A follow-up to my earlier post: Installer #4 was the charm. He figured out that the last installer (#3) had swapped the cable cards after calling the numbers in, so that the card that was originally in slot #1 was now in slot #2, and vice versa. I have no idea why Installer #3 did that. He was the one who had also switched the cable from the Cable In jack to the Antenna In jack so that I was getting no channels at all. I think he was basically clueless about the whole thing.

Anyway, Installer #4 swapped the cards back so that they were in the correct slots, and voila! -- we now get every single channel that we subscribe to. I had just about given up hope, but now . . . I am happy.

It shouldn't take four tech visits, but I do think it's worth it to persevere until TWC gets it right. So I would say to pilott that you really need to call TWC and tell them you're not getting all your channels, and insist they fix that.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #1583
Gloftoe

Dumb question

But I don't suppose I could have a setup like I currently have (TW digital cable box connected to a Series 2 Tivo) using a TW HD cable box and a Series 3 Tivo, could I?

That'd be too easy, and I'm sure it won't work.

This cablecard issue that Time Warner Austin is shoving down our throats stinks to high heaven.

Last edited by Gloftoe : 04-11-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Gloftoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:48 AM   #1584
cableguy763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloftoe
But I don't suppose I could have a setup like I currently have (TW digital cable box connected to a Series 2 Tivo) using a TW HD cable box and a Series 3 Tivo, could I?

That'd be too easy, and I'm sure it won't work.

This cablecard issue that Time Warner Austin is shoving down our throats stinks to high heaven.
What cablecard issue are you referring to? TWC isn't shoving anything down your throat, you have several choices. Is a TWC salesman sitting there holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy an S3?

Last edited by cableguy763 : 04-11-2007 at 03:07 AM.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #1585
Gloftoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763
What cablecard issue are you referring to? TWC isn't shoving anything down your throat, you have several choices. Is a TWC salesman sitting there holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy an S3?
Maybe I jumped too quickly with my post.

I would love a Series 3 Tivo, to use with my Time Warner Cable service. But I would also like to receive all the channels that I currently receive, minus the PPV and OnDemand stuff. I've tried to go through everything in this 54 page thread, but I'll admit it was getting kind of late and maybe I mistook some of the postings here.
Gloftoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #1586
davecramer74

Quote:
What cablecard issue are you referring to?
he's in austin, they went to SDV. Cable card users cant get a bunch of channels in that area.
davecramer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #1587
Austin_Martin

Quote:
he's in austin, they went to SDV. Cable card users cant get a bunch of channels in that area
There's also an issue in Austin with cablecards that we haven't been able to tune channels 1-99 since the daylight savings change. The channels can be tuned on the equivalent 100-999 channels, but it's very annoying. I wonder if this would have been fixed by now if it were an issue with the time warner boxes....
Austin_Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #1588
pilott

Quote:
It shouldn't take four tech visits, but I do think it's worth it to persevere until TWC gets it right. So I would say to pilott that you really need to call TWC and tell them you're not getting all your channels, and insist they fix that.
I had 4 the first time and two the second time (after several channels went bye bye after a month of working fine) along with several hours on the phone. The last guy who showed up (30 minutes past his 5 hour window of course) just gave me the paper of channels I wouldn't be getting (though I did get some on the list) and left without even pretending to troubleshoot the problem.

I kinda figured I was just going to have to bide my time until there is an alternative to TWC monopoly, however, reading this thread it seems like others are getting the channels that I am missing. So I guess it is back to another 3 hour call to see if I get lucky enough to get connected to someone who knows what is going on.
pilott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #1589
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Martin
There's also an issue in Austin with cablecards that we haven't been able to tune channels 1-99 since the daylight savings change. The channels can be tuned on the equivalent 100-999 channels, but it's very annoying. I wonder if this would have been fixed by now if it were an issue with the time warner boxes....
I haven't had any trouble tuning the lower channels on my S3 here in SW Austin.

The only channel I'm missing (that I care about) as a result of SDV is SPEED, but it's always been treated as a second-class channel by TW, so I kinda expected to get screwed again over it. That reminds me... I gotta go make sure the cable box I'm being forced to rent to watch it is still tuned to it so I can suck up some SDV bandwidth...
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #1590
jwc_austin

TWC Austin

Being a devoted Austin TiVo Series 2 owner with a new HDTV, I've been following this thread closely.

I got the TV a month ago and decided to give TWC a chance with their box before making any decisions about upgrading to Series 3. Initially, I couldn't get an HD-DVR from them because they were out of stock. My wife asked to get on a waiting list and the woman behind the counter wrote her name down on a post-it. We did get the regular HD STB though so at least we could watch some additional HD content other than OTA. We continued to use the S2 with it, and switched sources on the TV between TiVo and the TW STB whenever we wanted to watch HD. No time-shifting HD though.

Skip ahead four weeks, we call and find out they have HD DVRs in stock. So last night I hooked it up. First off, being used to the TiVo interface, I could tell after a couple of hours that I was going to hate the HD DVR. I'll skip the details, and just say I rely heavily on some functions that I assumed would be available on the TW DVR but aren't.

I'm not going to get a TiVo S3 until the SDV issue clears up, so here's my question (finally):

Would it be possible to use the S2 to record with and control the channel switching of the TW HD DVR, and use the TW box only for recording HD programs? I'm going to try it tonight so I'll find out eventually, but I'm concerned about the mess that could arise if the DVR starts changing channels on its own or records two programs at once, etc. I never use on demand or PPV so I could care less about that. I just want to feel confident that everything will be recorded. What are the downsides of this set up, if it even works?

I realize it will be remote control hell, switching channels with the TiVo remote and the cable remote, and switching source back and forth with the TV remote.

Ugh. Can't everyone just get along?

Wish for TWC: Please improve your DVR interface! Please!!! I'm trying hard to give you a chance.

Wish for TiVo: Please tell me that you have a plan to resolve the SDV issue in a new product that I can buy soon. I'm trying hard to continue supporting you!
jwc_austin is offline   Reply With Quote