TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 PM   #361
ashu
User title defunct

Excellent question. Although, of course, the S2 would only record SD outputs from such ATSC devices, which would, I imagine, be capable ot HD tuning and component/HDMI output.

Again begging the question - is the market large enough, when most folks' next TV is going to be HD anyway? Just release a 'simpler' S3.5 unit for OTA only (heck, Moxi plans to do this too, right?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #362
petew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Excellent question. Although, of course, the S2 would only record SD outputs from such ATSC devices, which would, I imagine, be capable ot HD tuning and component/HDMI output.
With the posibility of the goverment giving out vouchers towards the cost of the box I see a market for an SD only unit with just standard composite out.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #363
Majic

How to ???? DishNetwork and Tivo

Have No idea how too use i have a tivo 2 and a dish 301 sub 301 is bellow of 301 i plug in and tv 301 to tivo tivo to tv After that i am lost i get a tivo menu but of corse no control or view of dish channles wat to do ?.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #364
ashu
User title defunct

Read the manual, look through the setup suggestions/instructions at tivo.com and then start Guided Setup. Is this a new, or an already setup (for someone else's provider) TiVo?

Further discussion would not be appropriate in this thread. Suffice to say the IR cable from the S2 TiVo DOES control a Dish 301 receiver flawlessly.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 02-24-2007, 05:30 AM   #365
henryseiden

Question Moto DCT6208 (by picture) DVR

I think I have the Motorla DCT6208 going by the Motorola web site's pictured unit and description. It is HDTV, has a DVI connector, and 'PVR', not the upgraded HDMI unit (upgrade not working on my Comcast system but works on others in this So. FL area).

No other features are enabled by Comcast. Also no Tivo (yet).

However there is a rumor that Comcast is going to offer this service. So my question to this group... Can any nifty features and/or Tivo be installed here? What compatibility is known about here with Comcast and Tivo?

henryseiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #366
iimch4u

diagrams

is there anyone out there that has diagrams for modifing digital pioneer voyager cable boxes!
iimch4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #367
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iimch4u
is there anyone out there that has diagrams for modifing digital pioneer voyager cable boxes!

What sort of modifications did you have in mind?

We don't discuss theft of service here on these forums.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #368
Mars

Quote:
Anyone know how to configure a Series 2 to control a Zinwell ZAT-600HD ATSC OTA tuner?
I've been experimenting with my Winegard RC-1010 which appears to be identical to the Zinwell ZAT-600HD set top converter box. You can use a TiVo serial cable to connect this box to the serial port of a computer running hyperterminal. Seems that you might hack your way into the channel changing commands and then move those into the TiVo, but this is getting out of my capability. Anyone else want to try? The hyperterminal setup is ASCI 115200 8-N-1. You will get a message on power up of the Zinwell. Maybe the nice TiVo people could do this for us!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #369
ashu
User title defunct

Adding Serial control for unsupported devices to TiVo would require SERIOUS hacking (nicluding hardware/soldering I think) that is never discussed here.

you can certainly experiment with Hyperterminal and send your findings to the TiVo folks and request it be added ASAP, and also drum up support from other TiVo/Winegard tuner using folks to add credence to this. Good luck!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 03-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #370
Mars

This would not require any soldering, should not be any harder than replacing a driver type file so the TiVo can output a new control code, and that is already being done. It seems that anytime someone brings up a new radical subject, someone else who doesn't understand it wants to say it "can't be discussed here". ASHU I would rather you just not respond to anything I post starting with the period at the end of this sentence.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #371
azitnay

He never said it "can't" be discussed here... He said it's "never" discussed here. Big difference.

Although there are plenty of things that "can't" be discussed here (and by here, I really mean the TiVo Underground forum, as what you're discussing is certainly beyond the scope of the TiVo Help Center forum), this doesn't sound like one of them. That doesn't change the fact, though, that the TiVo Underground forum is pretty dead nowadays, and that there are other forums out there on the web that aren't so dead.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #372
ashu
User title defunct

Sheesh, Mars - lighten up. Take a chill pill or something. Or whatever helps with your 'period'

YOU doing it WOULD require heavy 'hacking'
TiVo agreeing to do it would be EASY.

I still failt to see why you took offense to my post ... after all, I'm NOT the forum police.

As for your "you don't get it, you're dumb' implication ... I could, if I chose to waste my time, hack a TiVo into oblivion and beyond. I have better things to do with my life, so I buy simple, supoprted HD receiving devices - like an S3 TiVo. And keep away from DIY solutions. I'm not trying to dissuade you from wasting your time, but desist from making general assumptions about the abilities of folks you don't know. [/condescending]

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 03-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #373
jevo

I am using a new satellite box that I don't see listed.

Directv D12-300 using the fast IR code. Working just fine.
jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #374
manduck

I have a DCT2000 series, and I find its channel changing to be a bit flaky. I am trying different codes to see if I can make it behave, and I'll probably try a fort too, but I'm wondering if I may get better performance from a DCT2500-series. My cable company now offers those. Is the DCT2500 a more reliable channel changer than the DCT2000? I don't think my cableco enables the serial mode (I know it doesn't work on my current box), so I'm asking about the IR method here.

As long as I'm here: I have seen references in this thread to slow, medium and fast variants of the codes. My TiVo refers instead to A, B and C variants. E.g. 10093-A, 10093-B, and 10093-C. Does that mean that A=fast, B=medium, C=slow or is it something else altogether?
manduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #375
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I keep forgetting to post this info:

A = Medium
B = Fast
C = Slow

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #376
manduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
I keep forgetting to post this info:

A = Medium
B = Fast
C = Slow
Thanks! That would have been my last guess

Any opinion on the DCT2000 vs. DCT2500 question?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #377
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

In general, the DCT2xxx series should behave relatively the same. 10046 is proably the best IR code for that platform, keeping in mind that IR position is extremely important (centered and sticking out as far as possible) and that an IR tent will reduce/prevent outside IR interference (including from the TiVo remote).

That being said, there were numerous early hardware versions that could account for some difference, so updating to a 25xx model might improve reliability.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #378
manduck

Thanks again. I've been using 100093-C for the last few days and so far haven't had a bad channel change. Strange thing, though: After it finishes recording a program it will change the channel again, but to the same channel it's alreay on. E.g., after recording something from channel 73, you can see it changing to 73 again (you see the numbers appear in the cable box display). This is even though it has nothing else scheduled to record on that channel. Sometimes it will drop a digit or two during that unnecessary change, i.e. going to channel 7 instead of 73 etc.

Is that normal Tivo behaviour? What could be the reason for it?
Old 04-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #379
rundownhouse

Comcast forced me to switch to digital cable, and now I can't figure out how to make the TiVO compatible. I can change the channel on the cable remote, but if I use the TiVO remote to change to anything other than channel 3, I get the "lost signal" blue screen.

I spent over five hours on the phone today, simply to get any signal whatsoever. I had no desire to change my cable service, but was informed that I had to. I was told that a service rep was on his way, and then told that I would have to wait until Saturday for anyone to come look at the problem. All of this while Comcast spams just about every channel with a campaign trying to convince the public that competition, in the form of AT&T being allowed to offer services, would be bad.

Guess what, Comcast? You suck, and your government-granted monopoly is no longer necessary. Gone are the days when the infrastructure costs - laying miles and miles of cable, and everything that goes with that - necessitate one government-sponsored provider. Here is a competitor proving that they are willing and able to provide services, should they find anyone willing to pay, and your response is a smear campaign about how its detrimental to everyone? Sorry, Mao, capitalism and competition have ever been the way over here, and I can only hope that such old-fashioned monopolies such as your own fall by the wayside in the face of technology that eliminates barriers to competition.

So. I have no idea how to coordinate my TiVO and my sparkling new Comcast box. Any ideas?
rundownhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #380
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

It sounds like you need to Repeat Guided Setup to tell the DVR that you are now set up for cable with a box. Up to this point, it has been using the internal tuner. RGS for "w/box" will tell it to rely on the digital cable box to do the tuning.

For more, please visit our online support articles here.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #381
Don Black

So I need some help guys. I don't have a cable box.

Instead, I use the tuner in my Sony VCR to change channels -- specifically, a Series 2 TiVo and a Sony SLV-N500 VCR. And I'm having problems getting my TiVo to control this Sony VCR.

I tried all of the codes listed on the TiVo website and this forum for Sony cable boxes, but none seem to work. Of course, this isn't totally unexpected since I'm using a Sony VCR and not a Sony cable box.

Can anyone possibly suggest an IR code that will work please? I've already tried "10050" and "10051".

Thanks!
Don Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:30 AM   #382
JimSpence
Just hangin'

It won't do it.

Why not use the built-in tuner in the TiVo for changing channels?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #383
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

You definitely have to set up the S2 for cable without a box. The DVR will not be able to change the channels on the VCR. You can always output it to the line inputs on the VCR if you want to record from the DVR.

Additionally, you could split the cable to the DVR & VCR to record two things at once, assuming the S2 is a single tuner. If it's the DT, well then you can record three things at once.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #384
Don Black

Hmmm... Thanks guys. I'm going to need to think about this for a bit then. I might be back! =)
Don Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #385
blahedo

Arrow Insight Communications "upgrade" hosed my channels

On 1 June, Insight did some sort of upgrade to their system, and now channel changing has become extremely unreliable.

My unit is a General Instrument-branded Motorola DCT 2000 with the serial port disabled, but up until a month ago the IR worked perfectly. Even when one of the IR blasters would come untaped and dangle it'd work fine, though that's not the case at the moment. Now, half the time or more, when I play a recording, I see on the display that one or two of the digits registered, but not all three, and the channel doesn't change.

What's absolutely infuriating is that every time I go through the recommended setup, every single channel change works perfectly. Every one! Every time! I've been through this at least a dozen times in the last month. But five seconds later when I try to use the TiVo remote to change the channel, it'll skip a digit.

The code the "recommended setup" sends me to is 00093-B (fast). I've tried A and C as well, but these don't help. Per the advice in the OP I've also tried 10006 A, B, and C, with no luck. When I try Channel Up during the Advanced setup, to check whether this code will work, it immediately fails well over half the time on most of these (nearly 100% failure on some). Including 00093-B, which apparently is 100% working when the auto-setup is running.

Aagh, this is maddening. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next? As I said, I have a GI (Motorola DCT 2000) unit, from Insight Communications. It's hooked up via IR to my TiVo (series 2), which had worked perfectly for the previous two years. I'm in Galesburg, IL, if that matters.
blahedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #386
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

While those are usually viable codes for the DCT series, I'd suggest going to a higher numbered (i.e. recently created) IR code. Follow the instructions in our online article (Advanced Troubleshooting for Channel Changing with IR Control) for instructions on how to manually input specific codes.

I'd recommend trying 10042 or 10046, A or B, with the ENTER key set to YES.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #387
Fredzep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbii
This really works and it worked the very first time I tried it. It is baffling as MRELK2 said. Thanks to him for the post. I wish I had seen it sooner. I am using the DTV - H20 manufactured by Philips, with the Directv codes in the IR setup; specifically the
code 10074-B, which can be selected in the Tivo advanced setup, under Channel Changing. There are a lot of people out there stumbling upon this problem, so I hope they see this. I tried several things suggested by others, but this is by far the cleanest and simplest solution.
Just got a new H20 and been frustrated for a few days! This worked the 1st time for me too with DTV in the Tivo Channel Changing options. Did not need to go into the advanced Tivo setup! I have the L Shaped IR emittors almost on the right side of the dial. Excellent Thread!

Fredzep
Sony 53" KP53HS10
DTV - H20
XBox - Evoxed!
PS2
Fredzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #388
dmg3

Thumbs down vortex 3500s satellite box

You mention vortex cable box. what about vortex satellite box? How do you put codes into tivo if the box mentioned is not listed?
dmg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #389
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

If you have a Series1, you are forced to choose a manufacturer and then go through its list of codes at different speeds; one time with Enter = Yes, one time with Enter = no.

For the Series2, you can either choose a manufacturer and the software will test the codes & Enter settings, choosing one based on your answers. If the automatic method does not work or apply (manufacturer not listed), you can then access the Advanced method that allows you manually enter codes. If you don't know a code that will work, you have the option to test every single IR code one at a time; one time with Enter = Yes, one time with Enter = no. It's a last-ditch effort at that point but better than the method for S1 since there are no duplicates.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #390
Mustang

I have a Dish Network 322 box. How do I make sure the "receiver is set to remote address 1"? I don't understand what this means...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote