TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #121
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_n_san_diego
Has anyone else been having problems being unable to view commercial dvd's, as in regular ole new movie rentals from Blockbuster? Lately it's been a 50:50 chance that we can view them on our Pioneer dvr. This is a new phenomenon for our 3+ yr old machine. When it doesn't work it freezes up and I have to unplug the machine for it to go through setup so I can get the dvd door to open!

Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong? and of course, how to fix it.
Thanks.
Something like this happened to me 2-3 times about a year ago. Sometime after that mine stopped playing or burning any DVDs. Now it just says "loading" and spins for ever. Not sure if they are related or coinkydental. Word is that only Pioneer has replacement parts for their units and so far it's been cost prohibitive for me.

I hope your issue is simply the one mentioned in the previous post.
evilipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:58 PM   #122
bnm81002

I know that a VCR or a video camera can be connected to the 810(A/V Input 2), but can I connect a DVD player and save to the hard drive of the 810, the same process as if a VCR or Video Camera was connected? thanks
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #123
Robmir
Ret. Broadcast Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
I know that a VCR or a video camera can be connected to the 810(A/V Input 2), but can I connect a DVD player and save to the hard drive of the 810, the same process as if a VCR or Video Camera was connected? thanks
Yes itīs possible, but you have to trick the 810 as itīs recording a live program and program info from the guide title will be associated to this recording. You canīt make your own title.

Honestly I donīt believe itīs worth the throuble.

I would purchase a standard HDD-DVD recorder from Pioneer, JVC, Toshiba, etc, instead.
Pioneer DVR-640H- 160 GB HDD-DVD
C band 4DTV 922 + HD200 HD Decoder
Sony 34XBR800 HD TV
Robmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #124
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmir
Yes itīs possible, but you have to trick the 810 as itīs recording a live program and program info from the guide title will be associated to this recording. You canīt make your own title.

I would purchase a standard HDD-DVD recorder from Pioneer, JVC, Toshiba, etc, instead.
Why can't you make your own title? I've done it before. It works fine to get stuff onto the hard drive. But it won't let you burn the content to a DVD if it's copy protected.
generaltso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #125
bnm81002

Quote:

actually I have the same DVD recorder that you have the DVR640HS, I was planning on buying the new Pioneer DV400V upconverting DVD player since my old Pioneer DVD player(DV656A) doesn't upconvert, I was thinking of connecting the old player to the 810 but since I can't burn any copy protected contents I won't connect it together, dunno if I'll still buy the DV400V or not, thanks for the help
Old 05-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #126
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso
Why can't you make your own title? I've done it before. It works fine to get stuff onto the hard drive. But it won't let you burn the content to a DVD if it's copy protected.

can I still burn of the hard drive the contents that I transferred over from my Directv Tivo receiver? thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #127
generaltso

Quote:
can I still burn of the hard drive the contents that I transferred over from my Directv Tivo receiver? thanks
If you transferred the contents in real-time via the composite inputs and they're not copy protected, yes you can burn them to DVD.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #128
bnm81002

Quote:
If you transferred the contents in real-time via the composite inputs and they're not copy protected, yes you can burn them to DVD.

what do you mean by "real time"? I have some recordings on my DTivo receiver's hard drive that I wish to transfer to the 810 then burn to DVD's, recordings such as Dancing with the stars, deal or no deal, and some movies from HBO, Showtime, etc, can I transfer then burn to DVD? thanks
Old 05-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #129
generaltso

How are you planning to transfer them? I've never owned a DirecTV TiVo. Do they support Multi Room Viewing?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #130
bnm81002

Quote:
How are you planning to transfer them? I've never owned a DirecTV TiVo. Do they support Multi Room Viewing?

DTivo receiver's "Composite Out(red/white/yellow)" to 810 "Composite Input(r/w/y)"
Old 05-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #131
generaltso

Okay, that's realtime. As long as the content isn't copy protected (which I doubt it is), you should be able to burn them to DVD.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #132
jwtonline

DVR-810H-S DVD Drive

I've seen a few posts regarding replacement of the DVD drive in this unit. Unfortunately my drive has stopped recognizing any type of disks, and I'm trying to determine what my options are for repair.
jwtonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #133
Robmir
Ret. Broadcast Eng

Quote:

You can title the whole DVD name but not each individual recording !!!!!
Sony 34XBR800 HD TV
Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #134
Robmir
Ret. Broadcast Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtonline
I've seen a few posts regarding replacement of the DVD drive in this unit. Unfortunately my drive has stopped recognizing any type of disks, and I'm trying to determine what my options are for repair.

As I recall the DVD is a Pioneer 106 burner type but I am not 100% sure
Sony 34XBR800 HD TV
Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #135
generaltso

Quote:
You can title the whole DVD name but not each individual recording !!!!!
Why not? If you're recording something from the AV input in real-time, you can create your own name for the recording. It will keep that name when and if you burn it to DVD.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #136
Robmir
Ret. Broadcast Eng

Quote:
DTivo receiver's "Composite Out(red/white/yellow)" to 810 "Composite Input(r/w/y)"
I still believe there are way better recorders than the 810. I own it and I know by sure that you would need to resort to the 810 highest HD quality setting which will limit you to one hour of DVD recording.

Again I believe itīs not worth.
Sony 34XBR800 HD TV
Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #137
Robmir
Ret. Broadcast Eng

Quote:
actually I have the same DVD recorder that you have the DVR640HS, I was planning on buying the new Pioneer DV400V upconverting DVD player since my old Pioneer DVD player(DV656A) doesn't upconvert, I was thinking of connecting the old player to the 810 but since I can't burn any copy protected contents I won't connect it together, dunno if I'll still buy the DV400V or not, thanks for the help
But do you have a good TV which support 1080p ?

As I recall there are not any commercial 1080p movie recordings available yet !!
Sony 34XBR800 HD TV
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #138
generaltso

Quote:
I still believe there are way better recorders than the 810. I own it and I know by sure that you would need to resort to the 810 highest HD quality setting which will limit you to one hour of DVD recording.

Again I believe itīs not worth.
Sure, there are better recorders. But how many of them have TiVo?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #139
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

In earlier posts, I have described my lack of success in replacing the DVD burner in the Pioneer units. The new burner may read discs, but it probably won't burn discs. I have tried the following DVD burners with NO success (success = a successful burn on the TiVo):

DVR-105
DVR-A05
DVR-106
DVR-A06
DVR-107
DVR-108
DVR-109

All of the above DVD burners work in computers to burn discs, but will not burn discs in the Pioneer TiVos. My theory is that the firmware in the DVD burners in the TiVos have something the TiVo software is looking for when the TiVo is told to burn a disc. If this is not found, it fails to burn.

I have not tried any of the newer Pioneer DVD burner units. If some one else would like to try, please post your success or failure here on this thread.

Hope this prevents some useless tinkering,

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #140
Crankedup

Angry DVR-810H Recording Wrong Channels

Since approximately 12/06 my unit has not been recording the correct channels.

e.g. - I want to record channel 311 and through the IR to the Time warner Cable box it only puts through 11 or even just 1. It's very inconsistent.

I've replaced the IR cable, have sped up and slowed down the IR transmission but this has not helped either.

Does anyone have any fixes for this problem.

Thanks.
Crankedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #141
bicker
Gruff

Yes. I found that when that happened to me it was because of interference (probably from a neighbor's home or the highway nearby). What I did was get a television stand that is similar to this one:

(Mine looks nicer. )

The cable box goes inside the cabinet. I make sure that there is nothing else inside the cabinet, since otherwise the cable box is more likely to overheat and get damaged. The TiVo goes on the shelf under the television, with the IR cable fished out the back of the shelf and then in to the cabinet below through a hole in the back. That way, the only signals the cable box receives are the ones from the IR blaster -- interference is cut way down.

I hope that helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #142
mr.bill

I just purchased a used pioneer dvr-810h. The unit has an upgraded hard drive in it(250gigs).

It appeared to be working fine when I bought it The previous owner was a tivo subscriber and upgraded to the series 3 and closed the account.

When I got home, I connected the unit and changed the zip code and did the call in procedure. Well, for some reason the tv guide section does not want to populate. It says the channel list is not setup.

So I go to channel list and highlight all the channels and tell it I am done. when I go back to tv guide it still says its not setup.

The channel guide was working when I got it home. So something happened when I did the zip code change. The info for each channel is correct. If I go to a channel, it will tell me all the info of the channel I am watching, so I am pretty sure its getting data.

I thought that since the unit was connected to tivo service and its current account status is "8:closed" I thought that might be what the problem is. But I called tivo and they said it should still work. The account status on my rs-tx20 is "17:tivo basic FT possible" The tivo rep says that there is a "19:tivo basic ...." (for those that did the free trail"

Am I missing something? Never owned the 810h before. I have tried to restart the unit and I have tried to change the local cable provider (comcast). I assume the tvguide page should work immediate. I think when I first setup my rs-tx20 it showed the grid, but the info for each chanel was not available.
mr.bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 AM   #143
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Well, that status 8 is, as far as I understand, about equivalent to making the unit a doorstop. It should be 19 for Tivo Basic. The account status on your rs-ts20 is not relevant. It sort of seems to me from your post that you think the 17 status on your rs-ts20 should provide for similar status on your 810... it does not. I would exect the 810 to be able to do nothing beyond the 30 minute live buffer.

Just to be sure, if you didn't already, do a "Clear and Delete Everything" on the unit, then redo guided setup. Until you activate the unit under your account, I wouldn't expect much more than what you are getting, although you should be eligible to get the Tivo Basic on there; you'll need to get the unit's account status changed to 19 or better yet 17 for that.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #144
mr.bill

I was trying everything else before I went and tried the "clear and delete everything" option. So I tried it this evening. After about an hour it finished the install and the tv guide populated properly. The status of the tivo is "8: account closed" so that was not the problem.

Everything appears to be fine. The unit does like my office depot 4x -rw discs. So I will have to buy some better quality ones for this unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn
Well, that status 8 is, as far as I understand, about equivalent to making the unit a doorstop. It should be 19 for Tivo Basic. The account status on your rs-ts20 is not relevant. It sort of seems to me from your post that you think the 17 status on your rs-ts20 should provide for similar status on your 810... it does not. I would exect the 810 to be able to do nothing beyond the 30 minute live buffer.

Just to be sure, if you didn't already, do a "Clear and Delete Everything" on the unit, then redo guided setup. Until you activate the unit under your account, I wouldn't expect much more than what you are getting, although you should be eligible to get the Tivo Basic on there; you'll need to get the unit's account status changed to 19 or better yet 17 for that.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #145
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Excellent news. Do you seem to be getting the services of Tivo Basic even with an account status of 8? Are you seeing 3 days of guide data or what?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #146
mr.bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn
Excellent news. Do you seem to be getting the services of Tivo Basic even with an account status of 8? Are you seeing 3 days of guide data or what?

Yes. After the 1st round of phone calls, it populated the 1st day of data. It then continued to make phone calls and filled in the full 3 days. Account status is still 8.

I was going to look this up. under system information it has a section about VCM connection. It says its trying to make the update(looks like its trying about every 8 hours), but it says the last successful attempt was dec 31.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:06 PM   #147
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

The VCM connection is related to online scheduling... it's how it picks up a program scheduled online. Since this feature is not available with your current account status, it's probably rejected the request. Nothing to worry about.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:02 AM   #148
jwtonline

I'm wanting to replace a failed DVD drive in one 810 with a working DVD drive from another 810. Can anyone offer an help on the easiest way to get the DVD drives out of the units? I've got the DVD drive unscrewed from the unit, the 810 faceplate unscrewed, but there are a couple cables attached to the circuit board in the 810 faceplate. I'm thinking I need to take the faceplate off the DVD drive tray, but not seeing an easy way to do that.
jwtonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #149
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Regarding replacing/moving the DVD burners:

I've done this a bunch of times, so I'll share my experiences.

You need to eject the tray so you can remove the front bezel off of the end of the tray. The bezel is the silver (on a 810H-S) or black (on a 57H) piece on the end of the tray with 'HDD/DVD RECORDING SYSTEM' printed on it. The bezel on the Pioneers is to make it look cool and not like a computer drive. Once the bezel is removed, you won't have to disassemble the front plate of the player to get the DVD burner out. All you have to do is remove the four screws and the power and data cables, then slide it out of the unit.

You can remove the bezel after ejecting the DVD tray. It's easy if the TiVo is powered. Just push the eject button. If the TiVo is off, you can manually eject the tray with a straightened paper clip. There is a hole below the light bar, about 1 and 1/2 inches from the left side of the light bar. Push the paper clip into the hole, and the tray will eject.

Once the tray is ejected, gently pry off the bezel by applying forward and upwards pressure to one side of the bezel, then the other side, to work the bezel of without breaking the tray. If you look at the underside of the bezel, it is attached to the tray by clipping onto the end of the tray. The way I remove the bezel is to grasp the end of the tray with my thumbs over black part of the tray and the bezel and my pointing fingers under the tray (black part) and middle fingers (and other fingers) under the bezel. Then using upward pressure from my middle fingers and downward pressure on the tray with my thumbs so I don't break it, I kind of work one side up, then the other, until the clips let go and I can slide the bezel up.

Good luck,

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:31 AM   #150
jasemoy

I'm new to this Tivo thing. I just bought a pioneer dvr 810 on ebay. I don't have a phone line and no wireless routers...so i'm trying to plug it into my motorola cable modem via a usb cable. For some reason, though, it doesn't seem to be connecting. What could be the problem?
jasemoy is offline   Reply With Quote