TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #2401
TerpBE
Go Terps!

I've been having a problem with Comcast for two months, and it seems to be an endless cycle.

I noticed in January that I was being billed $1.50 for the second cablecard, and $8.90 for an additional outlet, which I don't have. I called Comcast to have the additional outlet charge removed. Once they removed it, my second cablecard stopped receiving some of my channels. (I think the ones that are missing are the difference between the "Plus" and "Platinum" tier).

Since they're Comcast, they couldn't figure out what was wrong and had to send out a tech. He came out, tested the signal, swapped the cablecards, and did a bunch of other stuff. After about 2 hours, he realized that something was set up wrong on Comcast's end with the signal they were sending. Apparently the signal for cc#2 didn't have the platinum package. He had them fix it and got everything working.

Then the next bill came, and I saw I was being billed the $8.90 additional outlet charge again. I called to have it removed, and once again, my second cablecard stopped getting some of the channels. Once again, Comcast said the only thing they could do is send out a tech. Once again, he came out, tested the signal, swapped the cablecards, and did a bunch of other stuff. When it still wasn't working, he called his supervisor who said "Oh, it's fine now, it just takes 24 hours for the Tivo to recognize it". Realizing that I wasn't going to accept that as an answer, he talked with the people that send the signal, and noticed that the "sports package" was on one of the cablecards twice, which was confusing things. He apparently had one of them removed and resent the signal, and everything was working fine.

Now, this month I once again was charged the $8.90 fee. I called Comcast and said I shouldn't have that fee, and that every time they take it away, one of my cablecards stops working. The guy said that he would stay on the phone to make sure that didn't happen. He removed the charge, then the line disconnected, and - surprise, surprise! - the cablecard stopped working immediately. I called back again, was disconnected twice more, talked to two supervisors, and spent 3 hours on the phone. The end result is that they're sending ANOTHER tech out.

Comcast is screwing up something so that when they remove the "additional outlet" charge, they take away some of the channels from cablecard #2. When they eventually get it working, they start charging me the "additional outlet" charge again.

According to everyone I've talked to at Comcast, everything is set up correctly on their end, and the signal they're sending should have all the channels. But, that's what they were telling me before, and every time this happened it turned out to be a problem with the signal they're sending. How can I convince Comcast that it is an issue on their end and there's no need to send out a tech? Does anybody who works for Comcast or who knows a lot about cablecards know what SPECIFICALLY I can tell them to check?

Also, how can I get them to stop billing me the additional outlet charge and ALSO have all of my channels work?

I don't know if this could have anything to do with it, but they said that my one cablecard is listed on "outlet 1" and the other is listed on "outlet 5". Should they both be on the same outlet (if that's even possible), or on adjacent ones?

I have spent about 10 hours on the phone talking to about 20 different people over the past 2 months, and I just keep getting stuck in the same cycle. It makes it worse that once you talk to someone you can never get back in touch with the same person again, so I have to re-explain the situation every time I call.

Can anybody help? Comcast has detroyed my soul.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #2402
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE
I've been having a problem with Comcast for two months, and it seems to be an endless cycle.
See a previous post in this thread here for a phone number to call for the executive assistant line at Comcast Corporate.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #2403
bizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Yeah, like you can't read numbers off the screen. I wish they'd put up a web interface that would take care of this.
My pet theory is that there is an element of trust here because these 'numbers' are actually authentication credentials. There may be some fraud potential in allowing customers to provide this information. They do seem to be the tokens that the entire conditional access system rely on; and therefore they've probably decided that the expense of a truck roll is less than the potential fraud exposure.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #2404
Warlord46

Comcast Unregulated

An article in the Miami Herald yesterday led me to believe Miami-Dade County along with all others in Florida negotiated separate contracts with Comcast. So I gave the County a call, intending to complain about how they've let Comcast overcharge me for my use of S3s instead of their own DVR boxes. They set me straight:

Two years ago, the FCC, at Comcast's request, stripped the County (over its objections) of its authority to regulate Comcast's rates for Tier 2 cable channels (all channels other than basic cable). Last month, at Comcast's request, the FCC stripped the County (again, over its objections) of its authority to regulate Comcast's rates for Tier 1 cable and all other services. At least in Miami-Dade County, Comcast is free to charge whatever it wants for any service it provides, even though it is a monopoly in this County.

The County cable staffer I was talking to also informed me that the pending legislation before Florida's legislature which has been approved by the House and about to be approved by the Senate will, among other goodies for the cable monopolies, strip the remaining authority of Counties to regulate cable providers in the areas of response time and for rebates on bills when service is out. Lobbyists are being paid huge amounts of money to see to it this legislation gets passed.

I know Comcast's response when I complain about their high rates for the cable cards in my S3s is to tell me I should just accept their DVRs instead. There is no way other than Comcast for me to record anything other than broadcast channels OTA, so I'm stuck until S3s can work with satellites. It is costing Comcast a pretty penny to get the support from the FCC and the State of Florida to increase their monopoly charges to its customers. You have to wonder, who is going to pay for that tab?
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #2405
bicker
Gruff

I'm very much in favor of stripping municipalities of the ability to regulate cable television. That should solely be a state prerogative. I've seen a lot of corruption in town governments over the years -- some look at cable companies not as businesses seeking to provide services to the town's residents, but rather as nothing more than piggy banks to exact financial considerations from.

Once regulation is at the state level, it will be much easier to convince other cable companies to come in to compete. The corrupt way things are now, we get what we deserve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 AM   #2406
wackymann

Wouldn't it be easier to pay the $8.95?

This is pretty common actually if you search through this thread - many of the Comcast systems around the country have an older set of software running that forces the additional outlet charge to get the second cable card working. I haven't heard of anybody who has gotten the thing to work in those areas without paying the fee. Although it's usually cheaper - like $5.95. You can continue to fight it, but I'm guessing your struggles can't be worth less than the $8.95/month it would cost to just move on... I'm sure they will upgrade their software in the coming months, and then maybe you can complain and get a refund for the overcharged months.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #2407
johnzonie

I just changed from D* to Comcast here is the Tucson area. According to the work order and first bill, first CC w/HD was free, second one was $1.50/mo and the only other charge was for programming - Digital Classic Plus at $66.94.

The only thing wrong/missing is OnDemand, which of course does not work with S3. Comcast won't provide STB, despite what their FAQ says.

BTW, the Tucson area has had a major head end upgrade in anticipation of adding telephone services so things might be different here.

In any case, the Comcast/TiVo PQ has been flawless thus far and superior to D*.
johnzonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #2408
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
See a previous post in this thread here for a phone number to call for the executive assistant line at Comcast Corporate.
Thanks for the tip. Generally I think of "executive assistant" as a nicer-sounding term for "secretary". Should I assume that it means something different at Comcast? Has anybody else had success through them? Luckily it's a local call for me.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #2409
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE
Thanks for the tip. Generally I think of "executive assistant" as a nicer-sounding term for "secretary". Should I assume that it means something different at Comcast? Has anybody else had success through them? Luckily it's a local call for me.
Yes! I ended up getting transfered to my local office's "executive assistant" team, but I now have a person who personally looks after my issues... I called her directly to set up the install of my 2nd series 3. She dispatches a lead comcast employee, and he knows what he's doing, and has a personal assistant in the office that hits the cards/sets up the accounts (none of that waiting on hold forever). I also have his cell phone number so we can chat about anything that comes up with my service (including VOIP issues).

I recommend calling the number...
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #2410
Gregor

I think folks here have had generally positive experiences calling Comcast corporate. I've read a few articles where Brian Roberts was said to be extremely unhappy when he hears about bad customer service.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #2411
JPShinn

Did anyone else lose all of their service discounts by changing to the S3? I lost my service discounts for both cable and high speed internet. Jacked up my bill by over $52. I'm in the SF Bay Area.

Thx.
JPShinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #2412
Warlord46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
I'm very much in favor of stripping municipalities of the ability to regulate cable television. That should solely be a state prerogative. I've seen a lot of corruption in town governments over the years -- some look at cable companies not as businesses seeking to provide services to the town's residents, but rather as nothing more than piggy banks to exact financial considerations from.

Once regulation is at the state level, it will be much easier to convince other cable companies to come in to compete. The corrupt way things are now, we get what we deserve.
Bicker, you should follow your own advice and "Don't close your eyes and ears to the reality around you." (bicker, post 1803). In your relentless support for Comcast in this forum, "You're not doing much more than just your standard breast-beating" (bicker, post 1627)

If you are a Comcast stockholder or employee, there is a lot to like about the changes in Florida law Bicker praises that frees Comcast from County regulations in Counties where it has a cable monopoly, and from any state regulation of its prices as well. That has enabled Comcast to raise its charges for cable cards in Miami so as to make S3s much more expensive than their own DVRs. If you are a customer of this monopoly, Bicker's claim that poor Comcast is only trying to keep local communities from using it as a piggy bank is nothing but "self-absorbed idiocy." (bicker, post 1743).

Last edited by Warlord46 : 03-27-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Warlord46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #2413
davedonohue

Tech #2 just arrived. He reports that he has never been able to install a CableCard in either a TV or an S3 successfully, and doesn't know any of his colleagues who have. He said that he and his colleagues have complained many times now that they have been provided with no training and that it's making them look stupid in front of customers during 3-4 hour visits.

I really feel for the guy. It must suck.
davedonohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #2414
jeffsinsfo

My guess is that the problem in your area isn't the lack of training of the field techs; it's a lack of competence and/or training with respect to their office staff responsible for pairing/authorizing the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedonohue
Tech #2 just arrived. He reports that he has never been able to install a CableCard in either a TV or an S3 successfully, and doesn't know any of his colleagues who have. He said that he and his colleagues have complained many times now that they have been provided with no training and that it's making them look stupid in front of customers during 3-4 hour visits.

I really feel for the guy. It must suck.

jeffsinsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #2415
markp99
TakoKichi

dave,

Did the guy complete the install? Seems like they could follow the install instructions supplied with the unit, just like you would have done if they could have given you the CC's directly.

These stories worry me; Comcast is due to arrive on Friday to do my CC install.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #2416
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsinsfo
My guess is that the problem in your area isn't the lack of training of the field techs; it's a lack of competence and/or training with respect to their office staff responsible for pairing/authorizing the cards.
Exactly. There is no training required for inserting CableCards.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #2417
davedonohue

Visit #2 also ended in failure. The tech had all conversations on speakerphone, and whoever he was talking to clearly had no idea what was going on (e.g. "what's a host ID?). The tech was extraordinarily apologetic. He referred me to someone named Becky in the Charlottesville local office who will allegedly be calling me in the A.M.

If it is going to take 4-5 days between tech visits, I need to seriously think about sending my S3 back to the TiVo Community store within their return window and canceling my TiVo service within the 30 day window.

I left a message on the executive assistant line linked to a few posts above this one at 1 PM EDT. No return call yet.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #2418
dconner

Dave, it looks like you're having the same experience in Central Virginia that I did in Northern Virginia (look back in the thread for all the gory details.) I think the big underlying problem is that in Comcast's corporate culture, nobody ever talks to anybody else or disseminates information. Their field techs are untrained, and the customer support people have bad or nonexistent information. From what I can tell, your Host ID and... the other number *must* be given to someone in the Comcast office, and they *must* enter them properly in their system, for TiVo to work. But the customer support people don't seem to know this, or to know what to do with the numbers if they're given. Perhaps Northern Virginia Comcast finally figured this out... but of course, lessons learned aren't disseminated to any of the other bits of Comcast, so the same ordeal probably has to happen in every one of them as they waste money on pointless service calls and returned Cablecards.

With me, I had to go through 5 or 6 visits before I was apparently regarded as enough of a troublemaker to be allowed to talk to the one person in the organization who knew what he was doing.
dconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #2419
mowog74

Dave, I thought you'd like to know that you're apparently becoming well known as "one guy" to local Comcast employees, as in "there's one guy with a Tivo 3 Series [sic] and we've been out there 3 times and still can't get it working". I heard this during a frustrating experience at the Ruckersville local office this afternoon, and saw your posts here after I got back to work. I assume they're talking about you...

I don't have a TiVo anymore, have switched to Windows MCE instead but would like to get this cablecard thing sorted out so I can at least watch live HDTV on occasion (MCE doesn't support cablecard yet). I had a tech out to the house yesterday who installed the card and was able to get all analog, some digital SD channels, and local and non-premium HD working, but many digital SD and all premium HD channels did not work. He claimed he needed a new card, and when I balked at taking off work again to wait for another tech visit he said I could pick it up at the office today. (As an aside, when I got home yesterday evening I found that one of my digital STBs and my cable modem had both been deactivated, requiring about 70 total minutes on the phone with Comcast support to fix.)

At the office today, I had a long and frustrating conversation with the rep there, who said that 1) Comcast doesn't offer cablecard in our area, to which I responded by showing her mine, 2) that the tech shouldn't have told me I could pick one up, and 3) that there was no card for me to pick up. Fed up, I dropped off the card I had and just told her to forget about the whole deal.

Of course I would still love to get a cablecard working. Do you have any tips for dealing with the offices here--names to ask for or direct numbers, maybe? There's got to be someone at the office that would find this unacceptable. Thanks, and good luck getting yours going too!

Mike
mowog74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM   #2420
astronomer

Cable cards installed more or less successfully

I've had the Series 3 for about 3 weeks and finally found time for the cable card installation. Comcast in Charlottesville, VA now has the HD versions of ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX (of which only NBC is available OTA) and recently added TNTHD and Discovery HD, all unencrypted. I don't subscribe to digital or premium channels. Prior to the cable card installation, I could receive all 6 HD channels by referring to their channel numbers, but there was no guide information, of course.

The technician arrived right on time and said he had done several Series 3 installations, and thus knew all about the order in which things had to be done. It took about 10 minutes to run through the steps, and then he called in the numbers for the cable cards.

The HD channels were all there with the proper channel numbers. The Series 3 politely suggested I should go through the whole setup process again, which I began promptly.

The first problem was that my broadband internet connection no longer worked. I called Comcast and that problem was resolved in about 20 minutes; the operator said this "has been happening a lot lately, and I know what to do"--and she was right.

Everything is now working on the unencrypted HD channels with one puzzling exception: only one of the tuners will tune the Discovery HD channel--the other one tunes all the other channels perfectly, but not Discovery HD. Has anyone encountered and resolved a similar problem?

BTW, the Planet Earth series on Discovery HD played through my projector is stunning!
astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #2421
azitnay

When we first had CableCARDs installed, both Discovery HD and MTVHD only tuned well through the first CableCARD -- they came in terribly pixelated through the second CableCARD. Not caring much about either channel, I ignored it for a while, and it resolved itself. Not very helpful, I know .

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #2422
RSPinCT

Well, after reading the onslaught of horror stories there may be some hope for Connecticut owners. Here's the recap....purchased the S3 and called Comcast. Rep told me to go to local Comcast Service Center and get the card. Bring the unit and they will install them for me. Well, of course I got there and the two guys there looked at me and each other with that "clueless" look. Of course, they had no cards and don't give them out. Ok, that went well. Got home, called Comcast very unhappy. Rep was great. Offered to send a truck, waive the $14.95 fee, and got the 2nd card for only $2.75/mo. (1st was free).

Truck arrived two days later... installer was great, really cool guy, but, only had ONE of the two cards. Ok, I have 14 years in Info Systems so the technology aspect of this was easy for me to discuss with him. He told me he has only done one CC install and that almost 6 months ago! So, I told him I would handle it and he was fine with that. He called his office to register the card's serial # with my account. Slipped the card into bottom slot, all looks good. He calls the Advanced Support office to pair the cards. On hold forever. By now we've chatted for a while and we agree I can hanlde it from here as I had to get to work and he had other jobs. He also offered to drop the second card off to me the following morning. I get the correct # to call (sorry, I assured him I would not post the # anywhere as it is for Comcast staff only). Get to the right department about 20 minutes later and when we get the right job# and ready to go we find out no card is assigned to my account. Ok, that's a problem because I cannot call the dispatch office to get the card assigned. Anyway, I am able to call the installer that came out and again he was great. Said he would call me right back. After he called his office as it turns out, the card was accidentally assigned to the wrong account. All fixed. After getting home from work that evening I tried again. This time, the card was there and I provided all the proper numbers. Couple minutes later, channels appear. Ok, hung up with him. Thought I was OK but I was only getting the basic cable channels and I have everything Comcast offers. Called regular Comcast support and had the agent send a hit to the card. Bingo, on came all the channels. Everything works great... checked all 20 HD channels and the many premium ones. All good. Following day, came home from work, and, as promised, the 2nd card was there waiting. Called Advanced Support again, did the pairing on card #2, and all channels online and working for that card too....this time all the channels were up and running.

So, although a few hic ups, nothing even close to what some of you have seen or are still going through. Seems like Comcast here in CT has a better grip on the process and if you yourself know what you are doing, you're one step ahead too. Another note, the Advanced Support center I called is also in the CT/MA area, (they even had a menu option # just for Cable Card Installs!), and all three persons I spoke to from that group seemed to know the process although in chatting with one of them he admitted the Tivo's could be aa pain in the butt. It would seems that training throughout the country varies from none, (like you poor guys in VA), to very knowledgable (fortunately, the later appears to be the case here). Now I'll just wait and see if there are no sudden issues with lost channels that some of you have seen although I think they will be easily resolved by sending a hit to the card if necessary. We'll see! I hope this info helps some of you. Rick

Last edited by RSPinCT : 03-28-2007 at 10:00 PM.
RSPinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:44 PM   #2423
davedonohue

My CableCards here in Cville can tune in DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, and the local HDs with no problem - but that's ALL they can do. The frustrating part is that I do pay for digital and premium channels. Your experience is just like ours - it sounds like your installer is well versed in this setup

I am jealous that your setup is working for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronomer
I've had the Series 3 for about 3 weeks and finally found time for the cable card installation. Comcast in Charlottesville, VA now has the HD versions of ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX (of which only NBC is available OTA) and recently added TNTHD and Discovery HD, all unencrypted. I don't subscribe to digital or premium channels. Prior to the cable card installation, I could receive all 6 HD channels by referring to their channel numbers, but there was no guide information, of course.

The technician arrived right on time and said he had done several Series 3 installations, and thus knew all about the order in which things had to be done. It took about 10 minutes to run through the steps, and then he called in the numbers for the cable cards.

The HD channels were all there with the proper channel numbers. The Series 3 politely suggested I should go through the whole setup process again, which I began promptly.

The first problem was that my broadband internet connection no longer worked. I called Comcast and that problem was resolved in about 20 minutes; the operator said this "has been happening a lot lately, and I know what to do"--and she was right.

Everything is now working on the unencrypted HD channels with one puzzling exception: only one of the tuners will tune the Discovery HD channel--the other one tunes all the other channels perfectly, but not Discovery HD. Has anyone encountered and resolved a similar problem?

BTW, the Planet Earth series on Discovery HD played through my projector is stunning!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #2424
synch22

let me add to my story

just went in and swapped cards, 15 min drive or so. SO i come home and one of the cards off the bat is bad lol...161-2 error.

Second card I went through the process and guy tells me in 15 mins I should be validated.

I just checked and that card gets only a few channels. I am feeling pretty much done with this process...I dont know what to do. Do i just get a truck roll? Why does the cable card on my tv get all channels and is validated no problem.

I may try a reset of the whole tivo....erase everything and try again. Is my TIVO the problem or is it comcast?

$700 + $200 lifetime and the thing wont work for me the way it is supposed to.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #2425
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22
let me add to my story

just went in and swapped cards, 15 min drive or so. SO i come home and one of the cards off the bat is bad lol...161-2 error.

Second card I went through the process and guy tells me in 15 mins I should be validated.

I just checked and that card gets only a few channels. I am feeling pretty much done with this process...I dont know what to do. Do i just get a truck roll? Why does the cable card on my tv get all channels and is validated no problem.

I may try a reset of the whole tivo....erase everything and try again. Is my TIVO the problem or is it comcast?

You might have to wait a few hours for the info to filter through their conditional access system. The first one of mine took overnight, the second took a service call and an "initialization hit" from the CO to work.

Remember with 1 cable card the Tivo reverts to single tuner mode.

My guess is your problem is with the cards, not theTivo if one of the cards works.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #2426
jeffsinsfo

I'm guessing it's a Comcast problem.

Does your TV have dual cable card slots or just one? Did Comcast actually have to pair the cable card to your TV or was it more "plug and play?"

As I documented in this thread during my 3+ week ordeal with Comcast getting them to get the data at their head end set correctly, if Comcast gets all of the data correct AND correctly enters it into their computer, then the TiVo works properly. If they screw up things on their end (cards not authorized for the appropriate package, incorrect data values entered, etc), then the TiVo doesn't operate correctly. I'm glad I didn't follow Comcast's (and TiVo's) advice after my first unsuccessful installation appointment and go through the hassle of exchanging my TiVo box. All it took was someone who knew what they were doing at the head end and finally all of my channels worked properly on both tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22
let me add to my story

jeffsinsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #2427
Mike in NJ

Called Comcast on Thursday to get them to fix the account - I was being billed for two "additional outlets" at $7.95 each. The CSR said she adjusted those charges off the bill and made corrections to properly account for the cablecards. She promised that the cards would continue to work properly. Wrong... Starting Friday, a bunch of digital channels have now become "black screens" (no sound or video).

Called customer support several times, and got the same story each time. Their knowledgebase now says not to send a "hit" to re-initialize the cards under any circumstances because "sending a hit will fry the cards, guaranteed". They have to send a tech.

The tech will arrive Thursday, supposedly with new cards. Super.
Mike in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #2428
sfhub

In my experience dealing with the additional outlet fee, their system is overloading the outlet fee as an on/off switch for the CableCARD device. If you take them off it disables the CableCARD. This may not be true for all coded devices so your experience may vary depending on how they coded your CableCARDs.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #2429
Mike in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub
In my experience dealing with the additional outlet fee, their system is overloading the outlet fee as an on/off switch for the CableCARD device. If you take them off it disables the CableCARD. This may not be true for all coded devices so your experience may vary depending on how they coded your CableCARDs.
If you are correct and this is the case here, is there a known workaround to address the excessive charging, or do I just need to suck it up and pay $16 a month in order to use the Tivo?
Mike in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #2430
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NJ
Called Comcast on Thursday to get them to fix the account - I was being billed for two "additional outlets" at $7.95 each. The CSR said she adjusted those charges off the bill and made corrections to properly account for the cablecards. She promised that the cards would continue to work properly. Wrong... Starting Friday, a bunch of digital channels have now become "black screens" (no sound or video).

Called customer support several times, and got the same story each time. Their knowledgebase now says not to send a "hit" to re-initialize the cards under any circumstances because "sending a hit will fry the cards, guaranteed". They have to send a tech.

The tech will arrive Thursday, supposedly with new cards. Super.
I gotta wonder if the conditional access system is so bad that the only way to fix a problem is to delete the cable cards and enter new ones.

IIRC, replacing the cards seems to be the only way Comcast has of fixing problems?