TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2007, 08:11 PM   #211
ocntscha

Personally I'm pretty happy with Galleon which is always running on my box so I'd never bothered to try the music in pyTivo. Tried it just now though, works fine for me. I'm running Linux also Windracer. May as well say I know nothing about Python but hey this is the internet where lack of knowledge is no reason to refrain from spouting off an opinion -- to me it looks like even though you have zlib on your system your Python doesn't have support for zlib.
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #212
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocntscha
Personally I'm pretty happy with Galleon which is always running on my box so I'd never bothered to try the music in pyTivo.
Same here, just trying to give pyTivo a fair shake.

Quote:
to me it looks like even though you have zlib on your system your Python doesn't have support for zlib.
Ah, a very distinct possibility. I'll check that out, thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #213
bcooper367

I've recently played around with Tivo.Net and pyTivo. I love them both. I do like the simplicity of pyTivo, but I like the added configuration allowed with Tivo.Net.

One example, I like being able to set the quality of the video. Although I'm no expert and it's hard for me to tell sometimes, I believe the quality of the video stream is higher with Tivo.Net (when using the higher quality video settings).

Can anyone tell me what the bitrate is of the pyTivo stream?

Thanks,
Brian
bcooper367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #214
dlfl
Cranky old novice

4096 kbps for video + 192 kbps for audio. And I believe it would be very easy to make this configurable via pyTivo.conf .

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #215
armooo
pyTivo Developer

I added a new ticket for bitrate settings. I bet it will get done this week. http://pytivo.armooo.net/ticket/8

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:24 AM   #216
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo
I added a new ticket for bitrate settings. I bet it will get done this week. http://pytivo.armooo.net/ticket/8
Sorry everyone I have been swamped with work the past few days, and it doesn't look like it is going to get much better. I will be out of town from th 29th to the 9th so I will be absolutely no help.

But in the mean time, I never got to it, but inthewoods made a bunch of mods that I never got to check out. But included in it was the ability to change bitrate settings and width settings. Everything looked pretty good to me but like I said I had little chance to tinker with it. Armooo check it out in his post here it should save you some time.

In the mean time again I apologize for sneaking away for a few days, but hopefully when I get back I can kick in some more time for new features.

Kevin

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:38 AM   #217
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
4096 kbps for video + 192 kbps for audio. And I believe it would be very easy to make this configurable via pyTivo.conf .

This is higher quality than most things I'd be transferring from my PC, so I just edited this number in the file "transcode.ty" (to 1024), and now I'm getting smaller (and faster) transfers. I particularly like the speed to be such that I can watch it as I transfer.

I don't know if this is related however, but my Tivo warns me that it might have to delete a number of recordings early or not be able to record things if I transfer a video now. I only just started with pyTivo a week ago, so I don't know if this is because I changed the bitrate, or because of the video I happen to be transferring.

The file isn't actually large once it's transferred. (I think 0.75 GB for a 43 minute video)
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #218
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Take a look at est_size() line 64 in trunk/plugins/video/video.py. http://pytivo.armooo.net/browser/tru...o/video.py#L64 The that is the file size that is reported to your tivo, and if you change the bitrate constant there as well you will have better results.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #219
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Take a look at est_size() line 64 in trunk/plugins/video/video.py. http://pytivo.armooo.net/browser/tru...o/video.py#L64 The that is the file size that is reported to your tivo, and if you change the bitrate constant there as well you will have better results.

Excellent. Thanks.

Next question: I have an external, Network attached hard drive. It is a bit slow, but I can use Videora to transcode a video that is sitting on that drive (and the transcoding takes less time than the length of the video), so it is fast enough for that. However, if I try to make my Video directory for pyTivo some directory on that hard drive, I get the message in the Now Playing list that it couldn't create the list due to an error. (Can't remember exact message, but it isn't descriptive)

Note that I've never had success using this network drive for my "My Tivo Recordings" directory either.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #220
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
I just committed version 179. It adds the 16:9 blacklist while defaulting to use 16:9. It also has per tivo settings for aspect ratio. The per tivo config block will look like

##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
[_tivo_2400000DEADBEEF]

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
aspect169=true
What a great app! I've got 4:3 video working fine under version 181, but I can't get 16:9 to play correctly -- it's all a jumble. I've set the 'aspect169=true' flag for this Tivo... what am I missing?

Oh, and TiVo? I'm ready for video transfers on the ol' S3, k? Thanks!

Last edited by etsolow : 03-27-2007 at 06:37 PM.
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #221
armooo
pyTivo Developer

If you are outputting to a 4:3 tv some tivos are know to not be a be able to correctly play back 16:9 encoded files to 4:3 TVs. Right now tivos with TSNs starting with '540', '649' are known not to work. If you set aspect169=false for your tivo and it starts to work report the first 3 digits of your TSN and I will add it to the default blacklist.

If you are using a 16:9 tv make sure to have the tivo set to output 16:9.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #222
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
Excellent. Thanks.

Next question: I have an external, Network attached hard drive. It is a bit slow, but I can use Videora to transcode a video that is sitting on that drive (and the transcoding takes less time than the length of the video), so it is fast enough for that. However, if I try to make my Video directory for pyTivo some directory on that hard drive, I get the message in the Now Playing list that it couldn't create the list due to an error. (Can't remember exact message, but it isn't descriptive)

Note that I've never had success using this network drive for my "My Tivo Recordings" directory either.
I am having no problem using path=\\Steph\Desktop\Videos to access from a different pc. You may want to try mounting it to a drive letter. It may take a very long time if you have a lot of videos in one folder. So trying with just one video first may help.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:56 AM   #223
pufftissue

Could someone put together a guide for the dumb dummy no detail is too trivial, talk to me like I'm a retarded baby tutorial on how to install this pytivo thing?

Tivo.net has an installation issue even on a clean install of windows, so that's out.

For pytivo, I have installed python. It grabbed pywin32 or something automatically.

Now I have tivo desktop installed already.

In the configurater that pops up, I selected "My movies" and pointed it to c:/documents.......... all the way to my video folder

It installs

I fire up my tivo and there is nothing.

I have no idea if I should see something running in the system tray at the bottom right hand corner or what.

Thanks
pufftissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #224
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufftissue
Tivo.net has an installation issue even on a clean install of windows, so that's out.
Just wanted to point out that the 0.97 version (the one that says 'fixed' in the filename) is a bad installer ... it's a known problem. The earlier version should install just fine.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #225
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
If you are outputting to a 4:3 tv some tivos are know to not be a be able to correctly play back 16:9 encoded files to 4:3 TVs. Right now tivos with TSNs starting with '540', '649' are known not to work. If you set aspect169=false for your tivo and it starts to work report the first 3 digits of your TSN and I will add it to the default blacklist.

If you are using a 16:9 tv make sure to have the tivo set to output 16:9.
I do have a 16:9 TV, and the Tivo is set to output 16:9. My TSN starts with 595. So I take you would say that should be working?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #226
reneg

Quote:
Could someone put together a guide for the dumb dummy no detail is too trivial, talk to me like I'm a retarded baby tutorial on how to install this pytivo thing?

For pytivo, I have installed python. It grabbed pywin32 or something automatically.

Now I have tivo desktop installed already.

In the configurater that pops up, I selected "My movies" and pointed it to c:/documents.......... all the way to my video folder

It installs

I have no idea if I should see something running in the system tray at the bottom right hand corner or what.

Thanks
I installed PyTivo for the first time this week. I've given up on Tivo.net for now because of lack of updates and too much fiddling with getting transfers to stay on my Tivo.

Kudos to the PyTivo installation program, pyTivo_XXX_setup.exe. It is a good place to start for non-technical users as it installs Python and pyTivo. I didn't even mess with the PyTivo.zip files. Configuration of PyTivo requires a bit more technical knowledge as it requires manually editing a configuration file.
The Wiki pages for windows installation helped a lot: http://pytivo.armooo.net/wiki/WindowsInstall.

Firewall settings also require tinkering but is required for both Tivo.net and PyTivo.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:23 AM   #227
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:

It installs

You won't see anything in the system tray, but if you check your services you should see a pyTivo service.

I didn't have much luck using the configurator, and I found it unintuitive. Editing the pytivo.conf by hand worked much better for me.

Here's a basic config that works for me, with the exception of 16:9 videos, as noted above:

Code:
[DownloadedTV]
type = video
path = C:/Data/Download/VIDEO

[_tivo_595-snip-]
aspect169 = true

[Server]
guid = {-snip-}
port = 9032
ffmpeg = C:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe
(I've snipped out unique identifying numbers.)
Old 03-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #228
reneg

Quote:
I just committed version 179. It adds the 16:9 blacklist while defaulting to use 16:9. It also has per tivo settings for aspect ratio. The per tivo config block will look like

##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
[_tivo_2400000DEADBEEF]

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
aspect169=true
Maybe I'm reading more into this than is there in the code. Is this TSN section a generic blacklist section or is it referring to each of the Tivos that PyTivo sees? If it is the latter, it might be nice to have an enable/disable PyTivo flag so you can turn PyTivo on or off in a multiple Tivo household.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:33 PM   #229
pufftissue

Just to know:

does tivo.net or pytivo work on the series 3 tivos? That's what I have and maybe that's why it isn't working for me.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 PM   #230
muzician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
Excellent. Thanks.

-------------------------------

I am having no problem using path=\\Steph\Desktop\Videos to access from a different pc. You may want to try mounting it to a drive letter. It may take a very long time if you have a lot of videos in one folder. So trying with just one video first may help.

I am having the same issue. I am using Windows XP and I get the same error when trying to use any mapped drive as a source for my videos. I did try to create a test directory with only one video in it that worked on a local drive to no avail. I tried using the mapped drive letter as well as trying to map directly to the \\server/share. I've tried it on 2 different mapped drives on 2 different computers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Otherwise... a very cool program! Thanks for your efforts!
muzician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #231
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
Just to know:

does tivo.net or pytivo work on the series 3 tivos? That's what I have and maybe that's why it isn't working for me.
Nope!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #232
pufftissue

Tivo.net and PyTivo do not work on Series 3! Do not even bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsolow
Nope!
Well that was one night's sleep that I won't get back.

Hehe. Please tell me it's not plastered all over the FAQ/Wiki that series 3 is not supported yet. That would only add insult to stupidity.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #233
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzician
I am having the same issue. I am using Windows XP and I get the same error when trying to use any mapped drive as a source for my videos. I did try to create a test directory with only one video in it that worked on a local drive to no avail. I tried using the mapped drive letter as well as trying to map directly to the \\server/share. I've tried it on 2 different mapped drives on 2 different computers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Otherwise... a very cool program! Thanks for your efforts!
The only other thing I can think of trying is adding '\\' to the end of your path. So you should try

path=\\server\share\\

Old 03-29-2007, 07:28 PM   #234
etsolow
Don't Try

Quote:
Well that was one night's sleep that I won't get back.

Hehe. Please tell me it's not plastered all over the FAQ/Wiki that series 3 is not supported yet. That would only add insult to stupidity.
Nah, I don't think it is. This forum, on the other hand, is littered with cries pleading with TiVo to enable video transfers on the S3. (Like this one: c'mon already TiVo!!)
Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #235
jkomaha

Odd issue with Filenames

I'm running build 180 or 181 and am running into an issue....

I have files named:
Star Trek Voyager - 306 - Remember
Star Trek Voyager - 307 - Sacred Ground

and many others..... I was unable to get any files with odd numbers in them to play. For example filename - 305 - morefilename and filename - 307 - morefilename would not encode. pyTivo would throw errors.

When I renamed 'Star Trek Voyager - 307 - Sacred Ground' to '3x7 Sacred Ground' the encoding kicked right in. Might there be an issue with having - ### - in filenames the the more recent releases? I didn't have this issue until i upgraded recently from the 16?? builds to 180/181.

Thanks
jkomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #236
ocntscha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkomaha

I have files named:

and many others..... I was unable to get any files with odd numbers in them to play. For example filename - 305 - morefilename and filename - 307 - morefilename would not encode. pyTivo would throw errors.

When I renamed 'Star Trek Voyager - 307 - Sacred Ground' to '3x7 Sacred Ground' the encoding kicked right in. Might there be an issue with having - ### - in filenames the the more recent releases? I didn't have this issue until i upgraded recently from the 16?? builds to 180/181.

Thanks
what the heck?? That is bizarre. So what exactly did the errors say? What happens if you rename '3x7 Sacred Ground' back to 'Star Trek Voyager - 307 - Sacred Ground' and attempt to transfer it again, does it fail again?
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:21 PM   #237
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkomaha

I have files named:

Thanks
Could you in include the error message, I tried to recreate this but had no luck.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #238
dlfl
Cranky old novice

podcasts via pyTivo

Interesting thread starter by Tobashadow on how to handle podcasts with pyTivo. Haven't tried it yet but if it works well we should ask his permission to paste his post into the Wiki.

and
Old 03-31-2007, 10:28 PM   #239
Tobashadow

copy paste away
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:11 PM   #240
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Seems to work fine for me! Just watched dl.tv #152.

For a while I thought it was too good to be true -- I started the pyTivo transfer before the complete file had downloaded (just to see what would happen). It played OK! But only for part of the program. So I waited until the download completed then restarted the pyTivo transfer -- worked great!

and