TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #31
jdgresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoulsen
At my house, I have a Linux fileserver. This is where the large disks live.
Tivo Desktop seems to not want to place "My Tivo Recordings" on a network
drive. This is disappointing, since I just bought a 250 GB drive for the server specifically to use for this purpose.

Can this really be true?
I point TTG to my Windows (Server 2003) file server and it works fine.
jdgresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #32
lafos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud8man
Can you Change these settings?
[/http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bud8ma...e2.jpg&.src=ph IMG]
Sure, but not to a mapped network drive on the Terastation. TD is the first program I've found that has this limitation.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 PM   #33
lafos

Thanks for the ideas, people. I tried uninstalling, cleaning with ccleaner, then rebooting and reinstalling. I tried using both mapped drives and UNC descriptors. No joy. I then tried the same exercise using a second PC as the target. It still did not work. The second PC could not map to the Terastation, either. My main PC runs Windows MCE 2005, and the 2nd PC runs XP Home SP2. I tried to temporarily shut down NAV and firewalls, to no avail.

I have no other network issues that I know of. I can see all three TiVos and all the networked PCs and printers in the house.

Guess I'll have to keep using the USB drive. I suppose I could network that, as it's really a Ximeta NetDisk. It uses a driver on the client PCs to map the drive.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #34
Obelisk

I was unable to get this to work w/ my TeraSation Pro, but I just replaced it with a ReadyNAS NV and it works fine. And let me just say this: it is SO worth it to have a NAS that supports UPnP-AV (instead of the TS Pro)-- I can now access TiVo-converted files from my D-Link DSM-520 and play them in another room, which simply rocks...
Obelisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #35
Obelisk

Problem solved by complete accident, naturally: I noticed that whenever I would try to move (from w/in the TD Prefs) the My TiVo Recordings (MTR) folder to a new location on the NAS, this problem would occur, and the file "desktop.ini" would show up when it's normally a hidden/system file. Today, while copying some files from the MTR to my NAS, I took the shortcut of simply copying the MTR folder, and when I opened it on the NAS I saw that the desktop.ini file was not showing (and when I checked, properly there and with the right settings as hidden/system). I then tried to move the setting for the MTR folder in TD Prefs to that folder (on the NAS) and it worked like a charm. Would be very interested to know if this method (copying the actual real MTR folder to the NAS, then re-directing TD to it in Prefs) works for others to put this issue to rest once and for all (sorry-- I'm not willing to un-do/re-try this just yet!)...
Obelisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #36
strategy

I like the program WebDrive. It will map a Windows drive letter to any ftp connection. It acts just like a real local hard drive letter. Very handy and although I stopped reading halfway down the thread will work.
strategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #37
cmetcalf

Thumbs up Solution for using Linux samba server

Underlying problem discovered!

The problem appears to be that Tivo Desktop insists on setting up the attributes of the desktop.ini file in exactly the way it wants, and makes sure it was set that way. Out of the box, Linux smbd doesn't support "true" Windows attributes; it just fakes it up in various ways. The smb.conf man page documents the "store dos attributes", which requires you to mount your server filesystem with the "user_xattr" option. I added "store dos attributes = yes" to my /etc/samba/smb.conf and "user_xattr" to my home filesystem in /etc/fstab, and now I can store the MTR directory on my Linux server without trouble.
cmetcalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #38
bkuschak

script hack

I use a small script for pulling the files over the web interface onto my linux box.
Replace XXXXXXXXXX with your media access key. (To get around a paranoid spam filter on this list, which won't let me type it... also correct the spelling of ht_p below)

#!/bin/sh
# usage: ./get.sh '<url copied from tivo's web page>'
# (don't forget the single quotes!)
FILE=$(echo $1 |sed 's@\?Container=.*@@g;s?.*/download/??g' |sed 's?%20? ?g;s?%2F?-?g' |tr [\ $] [__])
URL=$(echo $1 | sed 's?ht_p://?ht_p://tivo:XXXXXXXXXX@?g')
wget -O $FILE echo $URL

bkuschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #39
jbryce

Desktop -- Network Attached Drive

I have not been able to get Tivo Desktop to use a network attached hard drive for program storage. I'm using a Series 2 Tivo brand DVR and 2.3a Desktop software. My computer runs Windows XP Pro. I've disabled firewalling with no success. Networking is wireless from the TiVo and wired to the computer and Iomega 250 MB network attached drive. This drive works fine with with everything but TiVo Desktop. Desktop works fine with the local C: drive and with a USB attached hard drive. It has also worked and stored on the hard drive of another computer attached to the network; that is, the computer running Desktop used the hard drive of another computer over the network by ordinary Windows networking procedures. I set this up with Desktop 2.2 and have been able set Desktop 2.3a to that drive and play the programs stored there.

Obelisk on 09-05-2006 appeared to have success, but I've not been able to make his method work. He copied the My TiVo Recordings default directory made on his C: drive to his network hard drive and configured it with Desktop. He noted the file attributes on the desktop.ini file were hidden/system. I've not been able to get hidden set on the network drive even with the command line ATTRIB utility. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling 2.3a with no success.

Any ideas? Thank you all very much.
jbryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #40
telecomkid
TiVo new hand

Is there anybody hear about QNAP's TS-101, All-in-one NAS server ?
it is a NAS with lots of application server features. (BitTorrent download client, Web-based File manager, FTP server, File server (SMB/CIFS), PHP+SQLite, iTunes server, Twonky's UPnP media server, Online Photo album, Remote replication server, Backup server with a backup software...)

I was asked to join a beta program about one of their new function, called "QTiVo station". The concept is, once you enable the function on TS-101, all recordings will be automatically transferred and backed up to your TS-101 without turning on PCs. By using this feature you don't need to wait and wait for long time transferring but let you NAS to do it. QTiVo function is a well-built function with web-based configuration interface, no need to install anything on the linux.

If there is anyone interested in joining the program you may send a mail to me. I can also mail you the special version firmware or link you with the product manager.

Cheers
telecomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #41
ciscokidinsf

Hey all. Same here. I just got my new Terastation and cannot connect it to TivoDesktop. I also tried obelisk's method but it didn't work. I've tried 2.4 preview and 2.3. I'll try WebDrive next.

Quote:
The problem appears to be that Tivo Desktop insists on setting up the attributes of the desktop.ini file in exactly the way it wants, and makes sure it was set that way. Out of the box, Linux smbd doesn't support "true" Windows attributes; it just fakes it up in various ways. The smb.conf man page documents the "store dos attributes", which requires you to mount your server filesystem with the "user_xattr" option. I added "store dos attributes = yes" to my /etc/samba/smb.conf and "user_xattr" to my home filesystem in /etc/fstab, and now I can store the MTR directory on my Linux server without trouble.
Where exactly is the 'smb.conf' file and how can we open it/edit it (notepad?) I can't find it. Thanks.
ciscokidinsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #42
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokidinsf
Hey all. Same here. I just got my new Terastation and cannot connect it to TivoDesktop. I also tried obelisk's method but it didn't work. I've tried 2.4 preview and 2.3. I'll try WebDrive next.

Where exactly is the 'smb.conf' file and how can we open it/edit it (notepad?) I can't find it. Thanks.
You will need to hack your Terastation. The smb.conf file is on it, not the PC. You access the Terastation and edit the file with vi, nano, or your favorite Linux text editor if it isn't one of those. Check out linkstationwiki.net for more than you ever wanted to know on the subject, plus a few hundred other Buffalo device hacking subjects.

CuriousMark

Last edited by CuriousMark : 03-23-2007 at 05:54 PM.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 AM   #43
ciscokidinsf

Uhhh... no can do. I wish there was a homebrew firmware with those changes. I'm ok doing firmware updates, I'm no newbie, but I don't do Linux yet, (I have no Linux editor and not familiar with the data/file structure) I don't want to damage the thing.

Sigh... I ****ing knew I should've gotten the ReadyNAS, and I almost did, but the price difference was beaucoup bucks and I got a semi-decent deal on Ebay with the Terastation. Oh well, I'll do manual transfers or perhaps a daily backup.

I couldn't make Webdrive work. if anyone has, I might need better instructions. (FTP is setup in the Terastation, but I can't get the thing to show up correctly in windows)
Old 03-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #44
ciscokidinsf

Me again Apparently TD and my Terastation are NOT working via webdrive. Despite Webdrive being able to MAP to Windows explorer as a drive letter, when I try to drive TD to that drive it seems to work, but the job fails b/c of some unexplained permissions. Bummer. I know it has to do with the Tivo app, because Webdrive and File explorer works fine, I can move files back and forth.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:01 AM   #45
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokidinsf
Uhhh... no can do. I wish there was a homebrew firmware with those changes. I'm ok doing firmware updates, I'm no newbie, but I don't do Linux yet, (I have no Linux editor and not familiar with the data/file structure) I don't want to damage the thing.

Sigh... I ****ing knew I should've gotten the ReadyNAS, and I almost did, but the price difference was beaucoup bucks and I got a semi-decent deal on Ebay with the Terastation. Oh well, I'll do manual transfers or perhaps a daily backup.

I couldn't make Webdrive work. if anyone has, I might need better instructions. (FTP is setup in the Terastation, but I can't get the thing to show up correctly in windows)
I still think you should ask at the linkstationwiki forums. If Freelink is available for Terrastation it may have samba installed properly, and if not, one of the uber hackers there my be able to help you out and make it so. They have done a lot of work over there, and created a lot of great stuff, but you have to be willing to read to dig it out. They will help those who demonstrate they are willing to work a bit and help themselves.

Mark
Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #46
jches55

TiVo Desktop 2.3a using Linksys NAS [help...]

I purchased a Linksys NSLU2 Storage Link in order to store TiVo files on the network instead of USB connected drive [using Windows XP] --- and, I also cannot connect to the NAS drive from TiVo Desktop. Is there a workaround for this situation out there ..... [somewhere]?
jches55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #47
ciscokidinsf

Sorry, apparently only the ReadyNAS works nice with Tivo. Other NAS devices seem to fail with Tivo Desktop..
Old 04-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #48
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

So the issue is...TiVo will not allow you to use a NAS drive as the location to download your files and store them...
How about this...or do shortcuts from the NAS placed in a TiVoToGo folder on a PC fail as well....
1. use a folder on the PC to download the files
2. Use SyncToy to transfer them to the network drive
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...o/synctoy.mspx
3. Create Shortcuts of the files on the NAS drive and place them in the folder on the PC
4. Delete the copied files from the PC
I am sure some guru could figure a simple batch program to accomplish most of this...
Old 04-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #49
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
I am sure some guru could figure a simple batch program to accomplish most of this...
Like was hashed out in this thread?

TiVo Desktop and Network drives
Old 06-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #50
davesanti

Hey all pulling a slightly old thread here..

I too am using a Linksys NSLU2 (unlung) to serve music out of the attached HDD. I am interested in being able to use the Tivo to pull videos and picks out of the NAS. I dont need to pull the recorded shows off the Tivo to the NAS (yet anyway) Are there are any further thoughts on this issue.

Thanks

Dave
davesanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #51
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesanti
I too am using a Linksys NSLU2 (unlung) to serve music out of the attached HDD. I am interested in being able to use the Tivo to pull videos and picks out of the NAS. I dont need to pull the recorded shows off the Tivo to the NAS (yet anyway) Are there are any further thoughts on this issue.
Some have gotten a headless Galleon to run on the linkstation. It may be possible to do that on the NSLU2 if it has the horsepower to run Java. Check out the linkstationwiki for details.

CuriousMark

Last edited by CuriousMark : 06-29-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #52
murmur

Same problem witn DNS-323

Same story here with a D-Link DNS-323 NAS.
murmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #53
murmur

I just installed TD2.5 and the problem still exists. Now I feel dumb for not reporting it back when I first noticed it.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #54
luper89

Smile A Simple Solution to Network Drives

Quote:
So the issue is...TiVo will not allow you to use a NAS drive as the location to download your files and store them...
How about this...or do shortcuts from the NAS placed in a TiVoToGo folder on a PC fail as well....
1. use a folder on the PC to download the files
2. Use SyncToy to transfer them to the network drive
3. Create Shortcuts of the files on the NAS drive and place them in the folder on the PC
4. Delete the copied files from the PC
I just tried this and it worked! Admittedly slightly more cumbersome than directly mapping to the network drive but I wasn't comfortable with Linux or hacking into anything, so for me this is the best way to go. I'm using Windows XP and a Buffalo Linkstation if anyone is wondering. (I haven't bothered with SyncToy yet, just dragged and dropped onto the network drive using Windows Explorer.)
Thanks for the suggestion!

Now if only there was a way to get Tivo to access a network drive directly without keeping a computer running in the background...
luper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #55
murmur

Damn, that solution is so simple that I'm kicking myself for not trying it before. Nice.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #56
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by luper89
INow if only there was a way to get Tivo to access a network drive directly without keeping a computer running in the background...
I have seen posts about people putting Galleon on the Linkstation, specifically a Kurobox HG. There is a Howto on the Linkstation Wiki.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #57
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Cool Make Your NAS Compatible With TiVo Desktop

I am ressurecting this old thread because it seems the best place for my input.

This is a recurring question that pops up from time to time as people try to have TiVo Desktop save directly to their NAS. I see no reason why it should not work and consider it a bug of TiVo Desktop, however TiVo may consider it a feature.

I recently took my old NAS and upgraded it and thought I would investigate this while I was at it. I was able to duplicate the problem and then implement the fix provided by cmetcalf above. Sure enough, it works. I also posted "Make Your NAS Compatible With TiVo Desktop" at NAS-Central for others wishing to do the same and needing a little more detailed guidance. I hope anyone with this problem finds the article useful.

CuriousMark
Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 AM   #58
mikelenner

doesn't work for tivo desktop 2.6?

i'm having trouble getting this solution to work with tivo desktop 2.6 - it exhibits different behavior then 2.5. Instead of allowing you to click the folder on your network mapped drive, tivo desktop simply grey's out the OK button.

I'm made the changes on my NAS's samba config and fstab - still, the OK button is grayed out. Anyone got this solution working on tivo desktop 2.6?
mikelenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #59
weaverdrew

yep, same

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelenner View Post
i'm having trouble getting this solution to work with tivo desktop 2.6 - it exhibits different behavior then 2.5. Instead of allowing you to click the folder on your network mapped drive, tivo desktop simply grey's out the OK button.

I'm made the changes on my NAS's samba config and fstab - still, the OK button is grayed out. Anyone got this solution working on tivo desktop 2.6?
I also see what you've reported: TD's "OK" button is grayed out now in 2.6 for my NAS MyBook drive. I presume that's because TD's developers (who are not Tivo employees, it's a third party, I was told) know the "drive has moved or changed" error message was erroneous, but they didn't fix the root issue.

I'm going to try the CuriousMark solution this week and will report back.
weaverdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #60
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

I haven't been using my NAS with TD 2.6, as I am running PyTiVo on it now. I will have to check it out too. If your samba is good and it still doesn't work, then I am not sure there is a good fix, other than dumping TiVo Desktop and switching to PyTiVo.

I am not ready to speculate on the why of it yet.