TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Is anyone fixing the SA Card issues?

So, I'm in Comcast, Central NJ. They use SA cable cards. I have been reading this forum since last year, and a lot of people have a particular problem where, for no apparent reason, one of the cards (or both) flip from Authorized to "CP Auth Failed", resulting in only the basic, non-encrypted channels whatever service they belong to being accessible.

I was hoping I'd be an exception, but after 2 clear days, it began happening to me, now going on a month.

This seems to hold across Cablevision, Comcast, and whoever else uses SA cards.

I was told by TiVoJerry that this is a known issue, but they haven't been able to figure out what is going on.

Since this has been happening for over 6 months, I would have figured someone would have figured this out by now and done something about it.

I'm tired of rebooting my machine daily (by pulling out the plug after reaching behind my rack set-up, or reseating the card (after going into the menus to figure out which card is failed, since there is no indication of which tuner is on anywhere else).

There must be a good amount of people with SA cards, so how about someone fix this?
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
dbenrosen

You can reboot the S3 from the menus instead of having to pull the plug. That is how I reboot mine when I have the problem, which is fairly often (I have Cablevision with SA cards).

I think the delay in getting the cause identified and then fixed has to do with the different parties involved. This is not just a TiVo problem. They have to work with SA and the cable company to identify what is causing the problem. Only TiVo really has a HUGE interest in getting this corrected quickly. The cable companies might have some interest, and SA would have even less. Unless the cable company threatens to drop SA altogether, which is probably pretty difficult since I know Cablevision in my area uses SA exclusively, there is no pressure for SA to play nicely to resolve this.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

Time Warner Cable in Newburgh, New York. I am using SA cable Cards and report zero issues - Maybe TW over here has it figured out...
Old 03-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Peter000

I'm having this problem NOW. And no amount of rebooting or reseating solves the problem

TW NYC
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
hornblowercat

I have SA cards, I had some issues in not receiving a couple of stations but I was lucky to get a contact in head end who worked on it with myself and another person in the area.

I can't say it was a card issue but it got fixed with help from head end.
hornblowercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
PHILBX

I have the SA cards via CableVision and have had the "CP authorization failed" problem several times. Reseating the card (it always happens to the same card) and rebooting has always fixed the problem. The weird thing is the problem seems to be provoked by physically jiggling the TIVO as when someone is dusting the equipment rack. CableVision has offered to swap the card if I get a hard failure but I suspect the TIVO.
PHILBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
hornblowercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILBX
I have the SA cards via CableVision and have had the "CP authorization failed" problem several times. Reseating the card (it always happens to the same card) and rebooting has always fixed the problem. The weird thing is the problem seems to be provoked by physically jiggling the TIVO as when someone is dusting the equipment rack. CableVision has offered to swap the card if I get a hard failure but I suspect the TIVO.
If you suspect TiVo then what are you waiting for? Your warranty to expire?

Send it back and get some new cable cards and see what happens. That way you will know it it is your unit or the cards.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrrepair
Time Warner Cable in Newburgh, New York. I am using SA cable Cards and report zero issues - Maybe TW over here has it figured out...
Same for me in Raleigh. SA Cablecards have been fine since September.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

My 6 SA cards have been fine since December.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Frankenstien

I have had the CP Auth problem with one of my 2 SA CableCards. Card 1 works fine, I am on my second card for 2.

Reboot seems to fix it for a little while. Problems in higher digital channels only.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #11
slrdc

Just a suggestion

You all should keep track of the firmware version of the cable cards as shown on CableCard Status screen. Maybe aaronwt and rdrrepair have a different version than the rest of you that works?
slrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrdc
You all should keep track of the firmware version of the cable cards as shown on CableCard Status screen. Maybe aaronwt and rdrrepair have a different version than the rest of you that works?
Mine is 2.3.149s2 and is dated May 2, 2005. TWC says that is the right version.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
slimoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID
Mine is 2.3.149s2 and is dated May 2, 2005. TWC says that is the right version.

It is not. My last card is 2.3.149S.3 and is dated February 2007. This is the card on my Mitsubishi TV that has CP Waiting for authorization despite working with all channels including premiums. The 2 cards on the S3 are still 2.3.149S2.

Sergio
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
JoN8282

i have two s3's (4 cards) one tivo never had a problem, one had cp auth failure fixable by reboot on one card. 8.1 update appears to have fixed this issue for me
JoN8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #15
hornblowercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli
It is not. My last card is 2.3.149S.3 and is dated February 2007. This is the card on my Mitsubishi TV that has CP Waiting for authorization despite working with all channels including premiums. The 2 cards on the S3 are still 2.3.149S2.

Sergio
I don't see why the date would be important so long as the version is the same. It's still the latest release just with different time stamps.

When my cards were installed in October 06 they were the "latest" and had the same info as SCSIRAID. If you got newer cards they probably have produced a new batch with demand. I recall there were some areas that were telling people they didn't have cards for a while back a couple of months or so ago.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:34 AM   #16
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornblowercat
I don't see why the date would be important so long as the version is the same. It's still the latest release just with different time stamps.

When my cards were installed in October 06 they were the "latest" and had the same info as SCSIRAID. If you got newer cards they probably have produced a new batch with demand. I recall there were some areas that were telling people they didn't have cards for a while back a couple of months or so ago.
But the version isnt the same... he has 2.3.149s.3 instead of 2.3.149s2.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #17
hornblowercat

Quote:
But the version isnt the same... he has 2.3.149s.3 instead of 2.3.149s2.
Whoops. I guess I should have looked a bit closer. So what does this mean, we all call and demand newer versions of our cable cards?

I have noticed a very minor issue occasionally on my S3. What happens is the image will freeze for a couple of seconds, then unfreeze with no sound. If I hit pause, or just rewind to the freeze the sound is there so recording wise it's not an issue.

Just something I've noticed as of late. Happens very rarely. And I think only while watching the local news in HD.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #18
rcr2
It's you, not me.

I'll have to check the version numbers.

Funny thing - I got a firmware update on one card, and it hasn't gone CP Auth Fail for the past few days, while the other card continues to do so.

I'll check when I get home and make an update.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #19
PHILBX

HORNBLOWERCARD
I took your advice and called TIVO. To my surprise the CSR, after a short consult with someone, agreed to send replacement. I didn't whine, threaten, just described the problem. I did ask her if this was a known problem-CC's coming loose-she didn't know or wouldn't tell. I'll update when the replacement gets here.
PHILBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
joe warner

SA Cable Card Problems

Both my SA cards all read "Waiting for CP Auth". I receive all my channels both basic and premium . I've been through 3 new TiVo's and 16 SA cards and all read the same..."Waiting for CP Auth" Charter says that both cards look good and show "PAIRED". Charter says that after a few days I will lose my premium channels as the cards pole the server periodically and when the server sees that "CP Authorization" has not been received (even though it shows paired on their end) the card will quit processing premium channels. This has happened twice to me and I had to call Charter dispatch and have then re authorize/Pair both cards. Not sure if there is a certain Rev number or date I need to look for or if this is just a SA/TiVo problem. I have a sony DHG HDD500 PVR That uses a SA cable card the same CP screen status is "CP Auth Received". So this must me some inconsistency between TiVo and Scientific Atlanta". Anyone have a idea as to the cause????
joe warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #21
T-Shee

Quote:
Whoever you are talking to is an idiot.

"as the cards pole the server periodically" This is completely wrong. Cablecards are one way devices and can only listen... they cannot 'poll' the Cableco server. If you other device shows 'auth received' then your Tivo should also show this. However, it doesnt make sense that you receive the subscription content with the cablecard status as CP Waiting For CP Auth.

Cable cards are 2 way, Out Of Band (OOB), just not 2 way like your old cable box that could order up video-on-demand, Pay-Per-View (actually the Tivo S3 itself that is not 2-way compliant). The cards transmit information back to the cable company, if requested, such as Host ID, etc. You've heard of pairing, right. Without the ability to transmit data back, pairing would never happen.
ESATA = Antec MX-1, Samsung HD501LJ
T-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #22
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Shee
Cable cards are 2 way, Out Of Band (OOB), just not 2 way like your old cable box that could order up video-on-demand, Pay-Per-View (actually the Tivo S3 itself that is not 2-way compliant). The cards transmit information back to the cable company, if requested, such as Host ID, etc. You've heard of pairing, right. Without the ability to transmit data back, pairing would never happen.
The CableCARD doesn't communicate with the head end in any way. The pairing is accomplished by providing information to the cable company when the CableCARD is installed in your equipment; it'll consist of the CableCARD ID, the Host ID, and in the case of Motorola devices, a Data number that's generated at the time the card is initialized in a new piece of equipment.

None if it is transmitted automatically to the cable company. It's read off screens by human beings who call that in to the cable company at the time of installation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
The CableCARD doesn't communicate with the head end in any way. The pairing is accomplished by providing information to the cable company when the CableCARD is installed in your equipment; it'll consist of the CableCARD ID, the Host ID, and in the case of Motorola devices, a Data number that's generated at the time the card is initialized in a new piece of equipment.

None if it is transmitted automatically to the cable company. It's read off screens by human beings who call that in to the cable company at the time of installation.
I deleted my previous post to dig into this. The cablecard spec does define an OOB method for a cablecard to communicate with the head end. However, I dont have any evidence that it is in use nor what frequency it uses. I agree with you on the pairing.... if the reverse channel was there.. there would be no need to read the data to the head end person to enter it into the computer... the cablecard would just call home and do the pairing. The pairing info is carried in the 'EMM's' which tell the CC what device it is allowed to talk to and what channels its allowed to decode.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #24
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I deleted my previous post to dig into this. The cablecard spec does define an OOB method for a cablecard to communicate with the head end. However, I dont have any evidence that it is in use nor what frequency it uses. I agree with you on the pairing.... if the reverse channel was there.. there would be no need to read the data to the head end person to enter it into the computer... the cablecard would just call home and do the pairing. The pairing info is carried in the 'EMM's' which tell the CC what device it is allowed to talk to and what channels its allowed to decode.
It's not in use on the Series 3; the host device in the Series 3 for the CableCARD is one way only and has absolutely no means to communicate in any way with the head-end equipment. All it can do is receive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #25
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
It's not in use on the Series 3; the host device in the Series 3 for the CableCARD is one way only and has absolutely no means to communicate in any way with the head-end equipment. All it can do is receive.
100% agree. The spec allows for cablecards to implement reverse channel (<42Mhz) communications to implement things like VOD and probably SDV but its not implemented. I have a brick wall high pass filter to eliminate the return path and the S3 couldnt care less.

So my original statement stands.....
Whoever at the cableco said the CC checks the cableco server for authorization is an idiot.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #26
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornblowercat
I have SA cards, I had some issues in not receiving a couple of stations but I was lucky to get a contact in head end who worked on it with myself and another person in the area.

I can't say it was a card issue but it got fixed with help from head end.
This is similar to my situation with SA CableCARDs furnished by Cox OKC. In the main, the SA cards have performed as advertised but for some reason neither can pickup the Soap Network channel. For obvious reasons, I have not taken the time to try to get Cox to fix the problem. I have experienced few other problems with my S3 and those have been minor and infrequent.

All of this leads me to conclude that the disappearing channel issue involves more factors than just SA CableCARDs.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #27
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Back to the topic at hand....

I am having the same issues as described by others. From time to time, I lose all digital channels on at least one CC and every once in a while, on both. Sometimes, I will reset the unit and it will be fine, at other times, I will leave it alone since most of my season passes are for channels in the analog band and my local HD channels (which I have never lost). Mysteriously, it seems to fix itself after a while most of the time. Since my S3 is not on the TV my family watches most, it has not been a big issue. In fact, I can't see that it has ever missed a recording (I do have a couple of season passes in the digital tier).

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #28
rcr2
It's you, not me.

My version for the card that is now in constant "CP Failed" status is 2.3.149s2.

I have the other card's version written down somewhere else right now, but it is definitely different than the CP Failed card's version.

Oh, and is ANYONE from TiVo going to bother giving us an update on what's going on?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #29
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2
My version for the card that is now in constant "CP Failed" status is 2.3.149s2.

I have the other card's version written down somewhere else right now, but it is definitely different than the CP Failed card's version.

Oh, and is ANYONE from TiVo going to bother giving us an update on what's going on?
Its unlikely that you will see anyone from Tivo make a statement on this. Your best bet would probably open a support case, get it escalated and periodically call for status.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #30
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2
I can't see what they could tell you. As I've stated elsewhere, even if they believe they had a fix they wouldn't tell us until they were about to release it.

That being said, I don't believe they have a fix for it yet.

It took a while for them to realize there was a problem because most people blamed the CableCARDs and contacted the cable companies to replace them (I went this route for about 3 weeks). The people who took it a step further were intercepted by TiVo CSRs who offered a replacement unit (got mine sent within the initial 30-day return period).

It took me a post on a Yahoo newsgroup to get someone from Cablevision to contact someone from TiVo to get the issue noticed internally.

Once they knew about it, I had good contact with people from both Cablevision and TiVo. But, there are three companies involved to try to determine the problem. Is it some error in the CableCARDs (made by SA)? Not necessarily a bad card but something the card is doing in processing the incoming data? Is it a signal issue from Cablevision? Something the TiVo is doing in interpreting the data passed through the CableCARDs? Short of someone from TiVo coming out and sitting in my house constantly waiting for the CableCARDs to fail with a full development version of the TiVo software, it is very hard to debug. Logs can only give you so much information.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote