TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #421
rpongett

The new 3.5b hit my system today. I already zapped init and gave myself telnet, tivoweb, etc. All of my drives were originally formatted with the InstantCake and LB48 before the upgrade.

But now I have no LB48 kernel and my system is haywire.

Is there anyway to use the copykern utility to install the LB48 via my telnet connection? I don't want to go through the monster pain in the a*s of pulling all drives, computer drives, etc.

Isn't this just a kernel patch/replacement that could theoretically be done via telnet?

Thanks to anyone who knows.
rpongett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #422
michaelrj9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk
Yes, I believe you need to use killinitrd. In addition to using the 3.10+ kernel, I also had to reinstall my cachecard drivers so I zapped the new initrd while running nic_config from the Silicondust driver boot cd.

From the top of this page http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=297372:
Thanks for all your help. I got them all back except 3 of them using Killinitrd then copykern.

What confused me is when I googled "killinitrd" because I nevered heard of it being a newbie. I went to the sourceforge website which had it but it said:
x86 binaries of killinitrd for Series2 kernels. This will patch the four locations that would normally call panic("No bootable RAMdisk"), instead having them return normally. This will also nuke the gzip magic on the initrd image, effectively disabling initrd on S2 units. Two binaries are provided, one that has been tested against v3.1.0 and v3.2 kernels, and another for v4.0 kernels. In order to take advantage of this, you will need to have your PROM patched. If you use these w/o a patched PROM, your unit will not boot. Provided because the current method in the 'scene' for bypassing initrd is utterly pathetic.

Then I was googling more and found SteveJenkins iso which had Killinitrd on the cd so I used that then used the copykern command.
Thanks again everyone.

Michael

Last edited by michaelrj9 : 03-11-2007 at 10:07 PM.
michaelrj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #423
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpongett
The new 3.5b hit my system today. I already zapped init and gave myself telnet, tivoweb, etc. All of my drives were originally formatted with the InstantCake and LB48 before the upgrade.

But now I have no LB48 kernel and my system is haywire.

Is there anyway to use the copykern utility to install the LB48 via my telnet connection? I don't want to go through the monster pain in the a*s of pulling all drives, computer drives, etc.

Isn't this just a kernel patch/replacement that could theoretically be done via telnet?

Thanks to anyone who knows.
Please see this thread for more information.

Currently, none of our units have received the update to 3.5b, so we've been unable to update InstantCake. If anyone has a good tivo.bak file of the Philips DSR6000, Sony SAT-T60 or Hughes GXCEBOT, and would be willing to upload, please PM me and we'll happily barter a kit or compensate you for the effort. Folks who have purchased InstantCake within the past 3 months will get a free update when it becomes available.

Thx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #424
rpongett

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Please see this thread for more information.

Currently, none of our units have received the update to 3.5b, so we've been unable to update InstantCake. If anyone has a good tivo.bak file of the Philips DSR6000, Sony SAT-T60 or Hughes GXCEBOT, and would be willing to upload, please PM me and we'll happily barter a kit or compensate you for the effort. Folks who have purchased InstantCake within the past 3 months will get a free update when it becomes available.

Thx
Is there anyway to copy the kernel via telnet?

I've already killed initrd, installed my versions of Tivowebplus, etc. and teh drives were LB48 before the 3.5b upgrade.

On the thread you linked, Lew said "Did you previously use he LBA48 hack? You could have done the upgrade without pulling your drive." But he didn't explain this.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by rpongett : 03-11-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #425
rpongett

Frustrated, I finally ripped Tivo Drive A out and put in my computer (again) to run copykernal to copy the 3.10+ Kernal to the drive. Remember, I had already made these LBA48 with PTV and Instantcake before the 3.5b update from Tivo today.

It claimed to update the Kernel.

I then had to go find lba48chk.ppc to run on Tivo. I got this in return:

lba48chk.ppc: drive /dev/hda is 268435455 blocks
NORMAL: partition 1 ends at 63
NORMAL: partition 2 ends at 75149375
NORMAL: partition 3 ends at 75153471
NORMAL: partition 4 ends at 75415615
NORMAL: partition 5 ends at 75419711
NORMAL: partition 6 ends at 75423807
NORMAL: partition 7 ends at 75685951
NORMAL: partition 8 ends at 76300351
NORMAL: partition 9 ends at 76562495
NORMAL: partition 10 ends at 77611071
NORMAL: partition 11 ends at 75145279
NORMAL: partition 12 ends at 78659647
NORMAL: partition 13 ends at 42996799
NORMAL: partition 14 ends at 78660671
LBA48: partition 15 ends at 488391743
BAD: partition 15 ends at 488391743, drive ends at 268435455
lba48chk.ppc: returning 3

So it looks like it installed LBA48.

What's the "Bad" partition?

Last edited by rpongett : 03-12-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #426
rpongett

I found out from another board that the "Bad" partition meant the copykernel didn't take.

Figuring I was facing wiping my drive, I struck out on my own and used tpip to throw in the so-called "Frankenkernal" for 3.10+, which I think might be the same kernel the "copykernel" app from PTV throws on there. Having zero idea what I'm doing, but just looking for anything. And then rebooted.

The "Bad" partition is now gone.

This is my lba48chk.ppc output:

/var/hack %lba48chk.ppc
lba48chk.ppc: drive /dev/hda is 488397168 blocks
NORMAL: partition 1 ends at 63
NORMAL: partition 2 ends at 75149375
NORMAL: partition 3 ends at 75153471
NORMAL: partition 4 ends at 75415615
NORMAL: partition 5 ends at 75419711
NORMAL: partition 6 ends at 75423807
NORMAL: partition 7 ends at 75685951
NORMAL: partition 8 ends at 76300351
NORMAL: partition 9 ends at 76562495
NORMAL: partition 10 ends at 77611071
NORMAL: partition 11 ends at 75145279
NORMAL: partition 12 ends at 78659647
NORMAL: partition 13 ends at 42996799
NORMAL: partition 14 ends at 78660671
LBA48: partition 15 ends at 488391743
lba48chk.ppc: returning 2

Is that acceptable? Am I successfully running an lba48 kernel?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 AM   #427
rpongett

This looks to have taken. My Tivowebplus now works perfectly and the shows that were showing up as encrypted in ciphercheck aren't anymore.

For anyone else in my predicament, here's what to do.

And this is ONLY if you've already run killinitrd after the 3.5b update and LBA48 partitioning on your drives in the past. And don't want to go through the huge hassle of pulling your Tivo hard drive out, cracking open your computer and going through the CD-rom primary/secondary master/slave dance. Again.

(1) Download a program called tpip. This will let you replace the new screwed up 3.5b Kernel (really screwed up if you are running lba48 partitioned drives). It is here:

http://www.courtesan.com/tivo/tpip.html

(2) Unpack it, and rename the file called "tpip.tivo" to tpip. Throw that in a directory like /var/hack

(3) Go get the so-called "Frankenkernel", which is a kernel for 3.10+ systems that happens to work, here:

http://************.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=94

(4) Unpack the frankenkernel file (either on the Tivo or your PC) and put the following file in a folder on your Tivo like /var/hack:

vmlinux-3.1.px

(5) Then use tpip to replace your kernel. Something along the lines of:

tpip -k vmlinux-3.1.px /dev/hda
Old 03-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #428
tlehotsky

HD not recognized by copykern

I followed the instructions early on in this thread for using copykern however, when I get to the point where you choose the dev to copy the kernal to it doesn't list hda (where my Tivo drive is) as a destination.

The drive is initially detected by Linux, I can see it with dmesg | grep hd

With mfsinfo (if I remember correctly - I'm at work now - did this last night) it lists 6 partitions on hda.
tlehotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #429
spiffy

I'm a little confused... Am I supposed to wait until my HD starts to behave strangely before I apply the copykern patch? I went ahead and did a copykern a couple of nights ago (did not do the killinitrd, since it was not on the free LBA48 CD, and the way I understood from finally reading the readme file, that killinitrd was for Series 2 only.) Follow the instructions as best as I could, and in the end the screen showed that I was successful in performing the copykern. I put the HD back into my SAT-T60, and thought everything was done. But today recordings are not accessible again. Anyone in the same situation?
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #430
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy
I'm a little confused... Am I supposed to wait until my HD starts to behave strangely before I apply the copykern patch? I went ahead and did a copykern a couple of nights ago (did not do the killinitrd, since it was not on the free LBA48 CD, and the way I understood from finally reading the readme file, that killinitrd was for Series 2 only.) Follow the instructions as best as I could, and in the end the screen showed that I was successful in performing the copykern. I put the HD back into my SAT-T60, and thought everything was done. But today recordings are not accessible again. Anyone in the same situation?
If your unit has downloaded 3.5b; transplanting the kernel on the LBA48 CD using CopyKern is the right thing to do, as well as using killinitrd (which is on the silicondust TurboNet/CacheCard driver CD). This still may not work for you, but if there is a chance of still being able to access all the shows, and information, that is the best one you'll have.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #431
spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
If your unit has downloaded 3.5b; transplanting the kernel on the LBA48 CD using CopyKern is the right thing to do, as well as using killinitrd (which is on the silicondust TurboNet/CacheCard driver CD). This still may not work for you, but if there is a chance of still being able to access all the shows, and information, that is the best one you'll have.
OK, so I should perform killinitrd even though my DTivo is Series 1 (SAT-T60)?

If I don't have access to Silicondust TurboNet/CacheCard driver CD, your $5 LBA48 CD does have killinitrd function as well, is that correct?

Have you come across others saying copykern/killinitrd did NOT fix the 3.5b issue? I haven't deleted any recordings this time; and the background has not become transparent yet. I am about to rush home to pull the HD out and attempt to copykern again and see if that'll fix anything...
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #432
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy
OK, so I should perform killinitrd even though my DTivo is Series 1 (SAT-T60)?
You should perform killinitrd because you have a Series1 DirecTiVo.

Quote:
If I don't have access to Silicondust TurboNet/CacheCard driver CD, your $5 LBA48 CD does have killinitrd function as well, is that correct?
They are on our universal boot CD, but you can download the silicondust CD from their web site (www.silicondust.com).

Quote:
Have you come across others saying copykern/killinitrd did NOT fix the 3.5b issue? I haven't deleted any recordings this time; and the background has not become transparent yet. I am about to rush home to pull the HD out and attempt to copykern again and see if that'll fix anything...
Hasn't worked for me yet, but that doesn't mean it hasn't worked for others.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #433
InspectorGadget
TiVo Changed My Life

I just Instant-Caked my SAT-T60 this weekend (was LBA48, got destroyed by 3.5b, couldn't restore old 2.5 drive). I was just enabling TiVoWebPlus Sunday night and this morning when I restarted it had downloaded 3.5b and blew away my IC kernel and hacks.

My question is: I still have NO IDEA what-all was in the Instant Cake installation. Will I have all the same features, utilities, and hacks if I just:

1. copykern from PTVu LBA48 disk?
2. nic_install from TurboNet disk (w/killinitrd)?

Is there anything I'll be missing?

Will my TiVo do dastardly things if I keep it running today and do the LBA48 copykern tonight?

Sony SAT-T60 1x320GB LBA48 300hrs
Sony SVR2000 1x160GB LBA48 ~200hrs Basic
(on Sony SAT-B55)
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM   #434
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Inquiries on the topic of dealing with the transition to 3.5b should really posted outside this thread; preferably here:

Series1 DirecTiVo Software Update (3.5.0) Migration Thread

to keep the relevant information together.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #435
InspectorGadget
TiVo Changed My Life

Well, if you really look at my questions they aren't about 3.5 or 3.5b or the transition. That was just the preamble. The actual questions are about what's in Instant Cake versus what's on the PTVupgrade CD, which is precisely what this thread is all about.

Even forget the last question about running without LBA48. I shut it down already.

But I'll go move the post over there.

Sony SAT-T60 1x320GB LBA48 300hrs
Sony SVR2000 1x160GB LBA48 ~200hrs Basic
(on Sony SAT-B55)
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #436
PhatheadWRX

I already purchased instantcake-tcd240-7.1b for my 240040.

I just purchased a second 24004A box. Will the same instantcake work with the 4A?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #437
azitnay

Yes, all 240's are compatible.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #438
chlorox

What exactly is on this CD

I bought the LBA48 Cd because I thought that the killhdinitrd tool was necessary to add additional software (bash/ftp/etc). I am having a REALLY hard time digging up anything useful in these forums. (aside from people needing to use an HD bigger than 137Gigs)

I have a standalone series 2 60 hour model. I instacaked a 100 Gig HD yesterday and now I have no idea what to do. I've tried running copykern, but it only appears to support series 1 units. Is this true? I manually ran tpip -k vmlinuz.px /dev/hdc and it said that it applied it. Wasn't this LBA bootdisk supposed to be filled with goodies?

I wasn't expecting it to contain tivoweb and all that junk, but the documentation was next to nothing of how to do anything. I've read every readme on the disk. I'd like to kill the initial ramdisk so I can get on to other fun things before I put this drive into his new home.

Thanks,
chlorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:03 PM   #439
azitnay

I'm assuming you're talking about the "DVRupgrade LBA48 CD v4.04 With Enhancements" (a $5 download)... For hacking purposes, the main advantage this $5 CD gives you over the one that can be downloaded freely is the inclusion of several killhdinitrd'able (and I believe, in fact, already killhdinitrd'ed) kernels that you can use to replace the kernel your TiVo uses.

You're correct that this site isn't the best resource for general hacking... But there are plenty of resources "elsewhere".

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #440
Fezmid

I have a DSR6000 (Series 1 DirecTiVo)

My ssytem has two drives -- one 30G (stock) and one 120G (that I added years ago).

I want to combine these two onto a single 250G drive. It looks like I can do that - however I've read a few warnings about swap space. Is that still an issue? If so, how should I address it? I'm not finding any specifics (but maybe I'm not looking in the right place).

I'm going to attempt it now with the Hinsdale docs and then just run a "swapkern" at the end and see what happens... If anyone has any other suggestions (ie: that won't work), let me know so I can save myself some time. I want to save recordings.

EDIT: I see in the mfsrestore that there's a -s flag for swap... I'm wondering if it's safe to just increase that number or if that'll break things...

EDIT2: After doing some reading, I decided to skip the -x flag. My understanding is that it'll give me 160G on the new drive (leaving 90G unused), but I'm fine with that -- the only reason I'm doing this is because one of the drives is starting to act a little flaky. Hopefully it works the way I think it will

Last edited by Fezmid : 07-31-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Fezmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM   #441
Fezmid

Ok, I just got an error during my copy and I can't find many references on it. The error is:

Restore Failed: Internal error 3.es

I suppose I should run tests to see if the drives are really failing or not, since that could be it (since that's the reason I'm doing this migration to begin with). I might have to just start over from scratch and lose my recordings
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #442
Fezmid

Well, one last call for help.

I still get the "Restore Failed: Internal error 3.es" every time I try the mfsbackup/mfsrestore line. It always fails at the same percentage as well (I think it's 32.3% or something like that). I have two drives -- 40G and 120G, so it seems like it's puking between the two drives. Could be a bad disk -- I suppose I'll run some diagnostics to try finding out. I was hoping someone may have a suggestion though...

If I can't figure it out, I guess I just lose the recordings and make a new disk from the 250G one, watch all of the shows on the old disk while recording new stuff to a different TiVo. A hassle, but hey.

Hope someone can help, thanks!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #443
rbtravis

Try Spinrite if you have to recover the disk. A new disk may be cheaper.
rbtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #444
grharman

If I already upgraded using the old MFSTools?

Hi,

Please pardon the pedantic inquiry, but if I understand you properly, is this what I should do?

I just got done upgrading to a single 250GB Drive in my Series 2 Dual Tuner TiVo, but obviously I saw the 137 GB Limit immediately afterward. If I simply remove the drive, back it up and then restore it again using your program instead the offending kernel will be automatically updated in the process? Do I also have to reformat the new drive to regain the available space?

Thanks for your efforts!
grharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #445
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grharman
Hi,

Please pardon the pedantic inquiry, but if I understand you properly, is this what I should do?

I just got done upgrading to a single 250GB Drive in my Series 2 Dual Tuner TiVo, but obviously I saw the 137 GB Limit immediately afterward. If I simply remove the drive, back it up and then restore it again using your program instead the offending kernel will be automatically updated in the process? Do I also have to reformat the new drive to regain the available space?

Thanks for your efforts!
If it is working you are fine. All the Series2 Stand Alone TiVo's have had the the LBA48 kernel for a couple of years now. The Series2 DT has had the LBA48 kernel from it's release.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:00 AM   #446
grharman

Confused by what I am seeing in settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser
If it is working you are fine. All the Series2 Stand Alone TiVo's have had the the LBA48 kernel for a couple of years now. The Series2 DT has had the LBA48 kernel from it's release.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, everything is working just fine, but when I go to System Information it lists Recording Capacity as "Variable, up to 140 Hours". Doesn't this indicate that I am up against the 137GB limit?
grharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:38 AM   #447
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grharman
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, everything is working just fine, but when I go to System Information it lists Recording Capacity as "Variable, up to 140 Hours". Doesn't this indicate that I am up against the 137GB limit?
Ah, yes now I understand, You used the old non LBA48 MFSTools boot CD that is limited to working with up to 137G of the drive. I think the new MFSLive CD will let you re-expand the drive.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #448
TuesdaysChild

I posted this question in another thread but think it might be better suited here.

I'm trying to upgrade a 649080. I purchased a 400gb drive and instantcake. When I went to do the upgrade, I found out my computer only has one IDE cable. The version of instantcake I have does not allow you to enter into advanced mode to change the destination drives. Lou suggested that I run the PTVbake-special script (found on the free LBA48 CD) after booting and specify the drive letters. Can someone tell me what I need to do to specify the drive letters?

Thanks!
TuesdaysChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:36 AM   #449
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdaysChild
I posted this question in another thread but think it might be better suited here.

I'm trying to upgrade a 649080. I purchased a 400gb drive and instantcake. When I went to do the upgrade, I found out my computer only has one IDE cable. The version of instantcake I have does not allow you to enter into advanced mode to change the destination drives. Lou suggested that I run the PTVbake-special script (found on the free LBA48 CD) after booting and specify the drive letters. Can someone tell me what I need to do to specify the drive letters?

Thanks!
I gave you bad advice here; I forgot that the PTVbake-special script does not allow you to specify drive letters - you'd still have to edit the script. Its on the list to update the LBA48 CD with a newer version of the PTVbake-special script that will allow you to do so. My list is very long these days, however; sorry.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #450
gary80920

Question adding 2nd drive to series1, and a tad confused (I think)

Hi,

I currently have a Series1 running v3.0-01-1-000 with a 120gB drive. I am getting ready to add a 160gB drive to it. And, I have a couple of questions:
  1. If I use one of the traditional non-LBA48 boot CDs, I can just proceed along and the 160gB will only be expanded to the 137gB limit. Correct? I already have the swap file set at 127mB.
  2. If I want to use all of the 160gB, I need to do the following:
    1. boot using a LBA48 compliant CD/kernel
    2. use mfsadd to add/marry the 160gB drive to my existing 120gB drive
    3. use the copykern utility to update the Tivo kernel to be LBA48 compliant

Thanks!