Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #211
spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mack
Spiffy,

After you successfully ran kill_initrd and copykern if you watch one of the damaged recordings does your unit still reboot itself?
I also have a SAT-T60 unit with an upgraded HDD and got the 3.5b upgrade which hosed my unit.
I ran the copykern utility and everything seemd to go fine, at least there were no error messages. The unit boots up fine, I got the Tivo animation back, but several of my recordings from the week of the upgrade are damaged and when I try to vierw them they only get so far before the freeze up and the unit reboots itself.
Is there any definitive way to tell if we successfully replaced the kernel and if so how?
Thanks
I couldn't watch any of the damaged recordings. Some had infos, some did not -- when I selected a title to play it, the error message screen would pop up -- some gave me the option to delete, some didn't (I could always use the 'clear' button to delete the entry if the delete option was not present.) But last night I basically went through my entire Now Playing List and tried playing each title -- if it looked like it would play, I kept it and tried another one, and deleted anything that could not play at all. I have no idea at this point if the ones I've kept are damaged or OK. But I might have deleted approx. 15-20 shows that were previously watchable but couldn't after my HD went haywire. Luckily I've never had the issue of the unit rebooting itself after the upgrade (it's a Seagate DB35 drive, I don't know if that makes any difference. My previous HD was a regular Seagate, and it started to reboot after only a few months, I believed due to software corruption. But 3.5b was not implemented then.)

I don't know how to verify a successful patch either. Hopefully PTVupgrade or any of the gurus will let us know.
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #212
PeteEggebeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy
I couldn't watch any of the damaged recordings. Some had infos, some did not -- when I selected a title to play it, the error message screen would pop up -- some gave me the option to delete, some didn't (I could always use the 'clear' button to delete the entry if the delete option was not present.) But last night I basically went through my entire Now Playing List and tried playing each title -- if it looked like it would play, I kept it and tried another one, and deleted anything that could not play at all. I have no idea at this point if the ones I've kept are damaged or OK. But I might have deleted approx. 15-20 shows that were previously watchable but couldn't after my HD went haywire. Luckily I've never had the issue of the unit rebooting itself after the upgrade (it's a Seagate DB35 drive, I don't know if that makes any difference. My previous HD was a regular Seagate, and it started to reboot after only a few months, I believed due to software corruption. But 3.5b was not implemented then.)

I don't know how to verify a successful patch either. Hopefully PTVupgrade or any of the gurus will let us know.
I am having the same problem with damaged shows on a S1 Hughes GXCEBOT and have found that if I play the show and it hits the 'bad spot' it will reboot the TiVo. If I fast forward thru the show, when it hits the bad spot I have enough time to press the TiVo button, and then go back into the now playing list and delete the broken show.

I am waiting for the InstantCake of 3.5b to be released so that I can rebuild with a clean version and then put my other hacks back on (like permanent 30 second skip and turning off encryption and then adding tserver).

GXCEBOT with 120 hours
HDVR2 stock (probably rebooting as you read this)
SAT-T60 being fixed to replace HDVR2
PeteEggebeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #213
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteEggebeen
I am having the same problem with damaged shows on a S1 Hughes GXCEBOT and have found that if I play the show and it hits the 'bad spot' it will reboot the TiVo. If I fast forward thru the show, when it hits the bad spot I have enough time to press the TiVo button, and then go back into the now playing list and delete the broken show.

I am waiting for the InstantCake of 3.5b to be released so that I can rebuild with a clean version and then put my other hacks back on (like permanent 30 second skip and turning off encryption and then adding tserver).
Hang in there; it will be available very soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #214
Crispian

Me too! I thought I had it licked after following the instructions, (see the other thread I started here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=344944), but I think I skipped the kill_initrd step and now I'm not sure what to do so I've pulled the plug until someone can give me a definite answer.

I had the reboots in some shows happening, so I redid the copykern etc. and now it's rebooting about 30 seconds after it finishes all the boot up process and gets programing on the screen.

So, should I run copykern and reinstall the cachecard drivers but this time run kill_initrd? Should I instantcake it and start again? Should I wait untill they come up with a new instantcake that includes 3b? I'm kinda hoping I don't have to lose all my recorded shows, but what I really need right now is a working Tivo- especially as this is a DirecTivo so without it I can't watch anything off the dish!
Crispian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #215
Crispian

InstantCake for 3.5b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Hang in there; it will be available very soon.
Can you give us a hint- does this mean hours, days or weeks? And how will you announce it- here, via an email like the original that warned us of the timechange update, or on your site?

Thanks- in antici...............pation!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #216
PeteEggebeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispian
Me too! I thought I had it licked after following the instructions, (see the other thread I started here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=344944), but I think I skipped the kill_initrd step and now I'm not sure what to do so I've pulled the plug until someone can give me a definite answer.

I had the reboots in some shows happening, so I redid the copykern etc. and now it's rebooting about 30 seconds after it finishes all the boot up process and gets programing on the screen.

So, should I run copykern and reinstall the cachecard drivers but this time run kill_initrd? Should I instantcake it and start again? Should I wait untill they come up with a new instantcake that includes 3b? I'm kinda hoping I don't have to lose all my recorded shows, but what I really need right now is a working Tivo- especially as this is a DirecTivo so without it I can't watch anything off the dish!

Hey,

Here is what I did and the results I got:

1 - put tivo drive in pc and booted from Steve Jenkins CD
2 - determined that my active partition was hdc7 (not hdc4). I don't remember exactly how I determined this, but I know that running Kill_initrd will tell you this
3 - copied all files from /mnt4/etc/rc.d to /mnt7/etc/rc.d (i wanted my sysinit.author, etc to try to put my static IP and other startup hacks back to the way they were - this didn't work exactly as I wanted)
4 - ran kill_initrd info and found that initrd was enabled, so I ran it with 'disable' to turn it off.
5 - I then put the drive back in the tivo, but no network
6 - put the drive back in the PC and booted with steve jenkins again.
7 - found the tivocommunity thread titled "Series1 DirecTiVo Software Update (3.5.0) Migration Thread" (sorry I haven't evolved to learning how to add links here yet) and read that I should try re-running the nic install.
8 - After mouning all my drives, i did a "cd /"
9 - then I did a "cd nic_install"
10 - then i did a "nic_install turbonet" (i have the turbonet card, not cachecard)
11 - I replied '0' to apply the changes
12 - I put the drive back in the TiVo and could telnet into the box

I don't deem this process a success, because the /var/hack directory I created both times (sorry i didn't list it in my process above to keep it short) as part of the jenkis how to was gone, so I assume I failed to do something. I figured it was better to leave the tivo running than to somehow completely disable it and have the family take up pitchforks and rakes agaiinst me

I am not that skilled with linux, so I am waiting for the experts to get instantcake for 3.5b. If only these boxes ran z/OS, then I could be more of a contributer. I could write some REXX scripts.....

GXCEBOT with 120 hours
Old 03-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #217
Crispian

So, this morning I tried:

1. pull drive
2. boot with Steve Jenkins CD, "run kill_initrd info", no initrd found
3. boot with LBA48 CD, run "mountcd", run "copykern", choose correct drive and option for 3.10+, tells me kernel is updated, all good
4. boot with Silicon Dust CD, run "/nic_install/nic_install cachecard", all goes fine, accept defaults and hit 0 to save
5. boot with Steve Jenkins CD again just to be sure, "run kill_initrd info", still no initrd found
6. put drive back in Tivo, boots fine, see cachecard screens, get past "getting info from satellites", up comes the Discovery channel, 30 seconds later it reboots

Help!

Guess I'm just gonna have to wait for InstantCake to be upgraded, does anyone know when that might be? I'm already getting that "This would never have happened if you hadn't #$@%ed with it in the first place" look from my family!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #218
InspectorGadget
TiVo Changed My Life

I just Instant-Caked my SAT-T60 this weekend (was LBA48, got destroyed by 3.5b, couldn't restore old 2.5 drive). I was just enabling TiVoWebPlus Sunday night and this morning when I restarted it had downloaded 3.5b and blew away my IC kernel network driver, and whatever other hacks were in there. (I have a TurboNet/CacheCard).

My question is: I still have NO IDEA what-all was in the Instant Cake installation. Will I have all the same features, utilities, and hacks if I just:

1. copykern from PTVu LBA48 disk?
2. nic_install from TurboNet disk (w/killinitrd)?

Is there anything I'll be missing? Like, what's the difference between the PTVnet disk and the TurboNet disk?

(Originally posted in the PTVupgrade/LBA48 thread, asked to move)

Sony SAT-T60 1x320GB LBA48 300hrs
Sony SVR2000 1x160GB LBA48 ~200hrs Basic
(on Sony SAT-B55)
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #219
Crispian

OK, I'm getting desperate and can no longer bear the looks I'm getting from my family- I just need to get a working DTivo up and running ASAP.

Can anyone confirm if the following will work (at least to buy me some time till the 3.5b version of InstantCake is available)-

If I go buy a 120GB drive, use my old (3.5) version of InstantCake to bake it, install it and force a call to get the update, pull it and reinstall the cachecard drivers, that should work right? It's the fact that my current drive is over the 137GB limit (200GB) that's causing the problem, right?

Please can someone confirm that this should work?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #220
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Restoring LBA48 Kernel on updated systems

Folks,

If you have a drive you've built using InstantCake (3.5.0) or mfstools along with the Todd Miller LBA48 kernel AND have a hard drive that is greater than 137GB, you will need to update the kernel.

If your TiVo is still running after the update to the 3.5b, then there is a possibility you may not have lost everything.

To update the kernel, you need to boot with the Silicon Dust boot CD (free) or the Universal Boot CD if you have it, and run the nic_install tool and allow it to erase initrd for you. Alternatively, if you have access to kill_initrd, you can run that as well, it does not matter.

Then run CopyKern from the free LBA48 CD as previously discussed.

There is no guarantee that it will work, but if there is a chance of it working then that is the correct way to do it.

If you are rebuilding your drive with 3.5.0, you can let it update to 3.5b and you should have success with the aforementioned steps as your unit will not have had a chance to record too much since the fresh install and you'll probably be fine.

With all of that said, InstantCake has just been updated to 3.5b. Although it is not customary to offer free updates, we are doing just that. All orders placed in the new cart that was launched in late November, 2006 have been updated with links to the latest version. If you still have downloads left, then you will be able to download the newest version.

You can log in to review your previous orders here and redownload, if necessary. Please be sure to review the README file, first; and don't use a download manager as it will screw up your download count and corrupt your download.

Thanks for your patience; we had no intention of leaving people hanging for over a week...

A couple of other things: We have removed BASH serial access from this release of InstantCake because a few folks were complaining about external modems not working properly. Also, by default, we have turned OFF the daily call so that your unit will not automatically update beyond 3.5b unless you choose to do so (this can be done by editing your dialing prefix and forcing a call). We've attempted to suppress the DirecTV "nag" message, however if you do receive it, it can be ignored.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #221
Crispian

Thank you.

Quote:
With all of that said, InstantCake has just been updated to 3.5b. Although it is not customary to offer free updates, we are doing just that. All orders placed in the new cart that was launched in late November, 2006 have been updated with links to the latest version. If you still have downloads left, then you will be able to download the newest version.
May I be the first to say thank you!

You guys didn't have to do this and I'm very impressed to see that the art of caring for your customers is not dead. You will have my custom whenever I need anything related to DVRs.

That said, I've just downloaded the new IC and I'm off to run it and stop my family looking at me with hate in their eyes....you may have saved my life!

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #222
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
May I be the first to say thank you!

You guys didn't have to do this and I'm very impressed to see that the art of caring for your customers is not dead. You will have my custom whenever I need anything related to DVRs.

That said, I've just downloaded the new IC and I'm off to run it and stop my family looking at me with hate in their eyes....you may have saved my life!

Thanks again!!!
Much appreciated. Its been a long week getting things updated and 'just right' I've noticed that the numbers of people using these older DirecTiVo units has dwindled quite a bit. Its too bad, because when fully tricked out, they are still quite nice (with the cachecard, and all) and still quite viable. Good luck with the update!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #223
Crispian

Still rebooting :(

I'm sorry to say that I'm still having problems

I downloaded the new (3.5b) InstantCake and used that on my 200GB drive. All seemed to go well with the bake and when I put the drive back in the Tivo it booted up and then quickly rebooted (as I remember it doing the first time I used IC) and then I got the CacheCard screens and then to the Tivo setup. I went through the setup for my dish etc. and all seemed fine for about 20 minutes. Then it rebooted. This time it stayed with programing for only about a minute before rebooting.

At this stage I figured it must be something wrong with the drive after all the screwing around with it I've done over the last week, so in desperation I went to Staples and bought the cheapest drive they had (a Western Digital 250GB). I brought this home, used IC and baked it and again all went well. After putting it in the Tivo and going through the set up it stayed up for about 20 minutes, then it rebooted.

At this point I remembered something about doing a "Clear and delete all", so as soon as it booted I jumped into the Tivo menu and did that. It rebooted and then gave me A PTVUpgrade screen saying it was clearing and deleting and warning me that it would take several hours. Then after about 30 minutes it rebooted.

Now it seems to be in a loop- I get the DVR upgrade screen, then (but not always) the CacheCard screen, the the "Last step: acquiring from satellite" screen, then I get about half a second of programing and then it reboots.

HELP!

I am at my wits end now... my family are circling (and now I have to explain the $85 I dropped on the new drive to my wife) and I'm ready to drop kick the thing through the window.

Please, can someone suggest a way to get this thing working again?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #224
PeteEggebeen

Quote:

I downloaded the new (3.5b) InstantCake and used that on my 200GB drive. All seemed to go well with the bake and when I put the drive back in the Tivo it booted up and then quickly rebooted (as I remember it doing the first time I used IC) and then I got the CacheCard screens and then to the Tivo setup. I went through the setup for my dish etc. and all seemed fine for about 20 minutes. Then it rebooted. This time it stayed with programing for only about a minute before rebooting.

At this stage I figured it must be something wrong with the drive after all the screwing around with it I've done over the last week, so in desperation I went to Staples and bought the cheapest drive they had (a Western Digital 250GB). I brought this home, used IC and baked it and again all went well. After putting it in the Tivo and going through the set up it stayed up for about 20 minutes, then it rebooted.

At this point I remembered something about doing a "Clear and delete all", so as soon as it booted I jumped into the Tivo menu and did that. It rebooted and then gave me A PTVUpgrade screen saying it was clearing and deleting and warning me that it would take several hours. Then after about 30 minutes it rebooted.

Now it seems to be in a loop- I get the DVR upgrade screen, then (but not always) the CacheCard screen, the the "Last step: acquiring from satellite" screen, then I get about half a second of programing and then it reboots.

HELP!

I am at my wits end now... my family are circling (and now I have to explain the $85 I dropped on the new drive to my wife) and I'm ready to drop kick the thing through the window.

I seriously wish I had a suggestion for you because I have a series 2 Hughes HDVR2 that keeps rebooting even though it shouldn't be.

I went thru two of these identical units and still they keep rebooting.

The only thing I can think of drive wise is that people keep talking about using seagate DB35 drives. I think weaknees advertises they use those. It may be worth a shot.

Another alternative is to call DTV and let them know you are having problems. They will probably offer to replace your TiVo with a DTV DVR. It won't be as nice as a TiVo, but at least you can come home and not worry about an ambush

Due to my S2 DTiVo rebooting, I am trying to get two S1s working - a GXCEBOT and an SAT-T60. I am downloading a copy if InstantCake 3.5b for each as I type this. Wish me luck

Again, I wish I had more for you other than the other drive and replacing with DTV DVR, but that is about it. You can always cross your fingers and try e-bay.

Pete

GXCEBOT with 120 hours
Old 03-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #225
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:

HELP!

Crispian,

This does not sound like an InstantCake problem. Have you run full diagnostics on the hard drive you are using? Have you checked all the cables in the unit to ensure no damage was done as part of swapping the drives? This is sounding more like a hardware problem, so try to eliminate those variables, if you can. Remember, just because a drive is brand new doesn't mean its not defective. If you are adventurous, try poking the cables in the unit while its running - especially the cable that connects the power supply to the system board - we've seen damaged ones cause reboots when they are nudged (be careful doing this).

Also, you DO NOT need to do a clear and delete everything. There is more information on this in the last few screens of the installation; all of that is taken care of automatically for you (your unit will boot TWICE the first time you install the drive - and as you noticed, there are splash screens to tell you what is going on)...

Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #226
InspectorGadget
TiVo Changed My Life

Thank you for the 3.5b upgrade. We really appreciate the support. These hacked DTiVos really are great, and if you have a lifetime sub like I do, you don't want to just toss it out; they're irreplaceable. (Until I feel like shelling out $800-$1K for the HDTV version.)

Can you please elaborate on how you suppressed the daily call? Will "editing the dialing prefix" reverse this permanently or do we have to do it and force a call every time we want it to call?

How does what you did compare to setting "upgradesoftware=false" in the bootpage or exporting it in rc.sysinit.author?

And my earlier question: if I take my 3.5b (from DTV) DTiVo now, nic_install from the Silicon Dust disk, and copykern from the PTVu LBA48 disk to get the LBA48 kernel back, will I have all the components (utilities and hacks) that I did when I Instant Caked it last Sunday? Or do I need PTVNet

(on Sony SAT-B55)
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #227
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget
Thank you for the 3.5b upgrade. We really appreciate the support. These hacked DTiVos really are great, and if you have a lifetime sub like I do, you don't want to just toss it out; they're irreplaceable. (Until I feel like shelling out $800-$1K for the HDTV version.)

Can you please elaborate on how you suppressed the daily call? Will "editing the dialing prefix" reverse this permanently or do we have to do it and force a call every time we want it to call?

How does what you did compare to setting "upgradesoftware=false" in the bootpage or exporting it in rc.sysinit.author?

And my earlier question: if I take my 3.5b (from DTV) DTiVo now, nic_install from the Silicon Dust disk, and copykern from the PTVu LBA48 disk to get the LBA48 kernel back, will I have all the components (utilities and hacks) that I did when I Instant Caked it last Sunday? Or do I need PTVNet

We did not set upgradesoftware=false (as of a few years ago, I don't think it makes a difference on Series1 units). What we did do was install "fakecall" to get rid of the nag message. We also installed a *# in the dialing prefix. To force a call, you need to edit the dialing prefix and then force the call. You will have to force a call each time you want to do it, because the fakecall will run approximately every 12 hours. If you reboot the system, the *# will be replaced in your dialing prefix.

As for your last question; InstantCake creates a NetReady drive (that is how we've done it for over 3 years now). There is no PTVnet for Series1 units. If you need more information on that, please check out the support area of our site; its documented pretty extensively - the information is relatively old, though because nothing has changed with NetReady for a long time (short version is that NetReady includes CacheCard drivers, TurboNet drivers and FTP support, by default). FTP a file called .NETREADY into /var, reboot and you will have telnet access, as well.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #228
InspectorGadget
TiVo Changed My Life

Thanks for the fakecall and netready info, that helps a lot. I know the info is there and I've been piecing it together, but an overview and confirmation really helps.

By the way, I just successfully resurrected my SAT-T60 according to your instructions a few posts up: first Silicon Dust TurboNet disk, nic_install, disable initrd, install cachecard/turbonet drivers. Second PTVu LBA48 disk and copykern LBA48 kernel back in. The thing booted up like a champ. Recordings from the last 2 days are still there, everything looks good. So I'm running the LBA48 kernel, TurboNet, CacheCard, all with the TiVo 3.5b s/w and DST working properly!

One last thing: I want to verify the LBA48 kernel. It's not exactly like some of the examples. Does this look right?

Quote:
bash-2.02# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5 (millert@inverness.columbia.ads.sparta.com) (gcc version 2.8.1) #9 Wed May 10 11:08:35 EDT 2006

(on Sony SAT-B55)
Old 03-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #229
Crispian

Quote:
Crispian,

This does not sound like an InstantCake problem. Have you run full diagnostics on the hard drive you are using? Have you checked all the cables in the unit to ensure no damage was done as part of swapping the drives? This is sounding more like a hardware problem, so try to eliminate those variables, if you can. Remember, just because a drive is brand new doesn't mean its not defective. If you are adventurous, try poking the cables in the unit while its running - especially the cable that connects the power supply to the system board - we've seen damaged ones cause reboots when they are nudged (be careful doing this).
You may be right

I went back and opened up the unit again, pulled out the drive, removed the CacheCard, removed the memory stick, cleaned the contacts on the DIMM & The CacheCard with a pencil eraser, removed the cables from the drive and the board, reseated (carefully) the white cable next to the CacheCard, put everything back together and booted it up. So far so good

There was a frightening moment when I foolishly followed all the "netready" instructions and managed to overwrite the cacheCard drivers with the old one (which caused immediate reboots as soon as live TV came on). I got over this by hitting the Tivo button and going into Sat Setup as soon as I got the "Acquiring..." screen- this seemed to hold off the reboots and give me time to ftp the updated drivers from the Silicon Dust site and telnet in and install them.

Since then we seem to be good- I even installed TWP2 and the Tyserver (and the offset) and apart from the reboots I triggered as part of those installs it seems to be holding- fingers crossed and we'll see if it stays up over night (that's one of the nice things about TWP- it gives you an "up time"), I'll report back in the morning and let you know.

So, the lessons to learn seem to be:
1. Be very careful when messing around inside your Tivo, I guess I'd just pulled/installed the drive so many times I got careless.
2. All you need to do to enable telnet access is to ftp .NETREADY over and reboot- DON"T send the rest of the PTVtemp folder over and run it- you'll end up sticking the old v.1 CacheCard drivers on.
and 3. Don't let your frustrations get the better of you, I probably didn't need to go buy the new drive, if I'd taken a little more time and checked all those connections first.

Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:14 AM   #230
Blackfoot

Quote:
3. Don't let your frustrations get the better of you, I probably didn't need to go buy the new drive, if I'd taken a little more time and checked all those connections first.

Thanks again!
Go return the drive. You could either play dumb and say you bought the wrong one, you needed a SATA drive. Or be honest and tell them you thought you needed it but turned out you didn't. Saves you the $ and then you don't have to explain it to your wife.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 AM   #231
spiffy

Does the order matter? I first did copykern, then ran kill_initrd -- instead of doing kill_initrd first then copykern -- now I just checked, and I got this big gray screen said "Cannot boot kernel". I hope I didn't lose everything again.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #232
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy
Does the order matter? I first did copykern, then ran kill_initrd -- instead of doing kill_initrd first then copykern -- now I just checked, and I got this big gray screen said "Cannot boot kernel". I hope I didn't lose everything again.
The order does matter. You need to do the kill_initrd before you do the copykern. If you do the copykern first, the kill_initrd will not do what its supposed to do.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #233
spiffy

Quote:
The order does matter. You need to do the kill_initrd before you do the copykern. If you do the copykern first, the kill_initrd will not do what its supposed to do.
Well, when I tried to do it in the correct order last night, Jenkins' ISO reported that it couldn't find mfs. I went ahead and copykerned again anyway, and still got the GSOD and the can't boot kernel message. So inevitably I did something that corrupted the software...

I purchased the new updated InstantCake 3.5b this morning and reformatted the whole drive (again). Thanks for making this available so quickly -- I had to start from scratch, but I guess it could have been a LOT worse -- at least hopefully it is all fixed once and for all.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #234
Mike Mack

Do I need to run kill_initrd even if I am not doing any of the cool network things with my SAT-T60?
I originally did the IC to a larger drive for more storage and never got around to doing any of the network access options that were available. I probably will not do that now that I have an HR10-250 that is networked.
However, I sorely want to recover all the recordings on my SAT-T60 and at least watch them before I reformat with the new IC version.
I have run the copykern replacement successfully as far as I know but I do not know how to definitively check to see that I am running the correct kernel.
My TIVO is currently powered off until I can confirm that the kernel is the correct LBA48 one and I will not incur any more damage to my recordings as a result of having it run.
Any advice on how to confirm this will be much appreciated.
Thanks to tivoupgrade for providing the new IC version - I will be purchasing again soon.
Regards,
Michael
Mike Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #235
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mack
Do I need to run kill_initrd even if I am not doing any of the cool network things with my SAT-T60?
I originally did the IC to a larger drive for more storage and never got around to doing any of the network access options that were available. I probably will not do that now that I have an HR10-250 that is networked.
However, I sorely want to recover all the recordings on my SAT-T60 and at least watch them before I reformat with the new IC version.
I have run the copykern replacement successfully as far as I know but I do not know how to definitively check to see that I am running the correct kernel.
My TIVO is currently powered off until I can confirm that the kernel is the correct LBA48 one and I will not incur any more damage to my recordings as a result of having it run.
Any advice on how to confirm this will be much appreciated.
Thanks to tivoupgrade for providing the new IC version - I will be purchasing again soon.
Regards,
Michael
Yes, you do. And the order of things does matter. If you follow this post to the letter, you have a very small chance of recovering. But in all honesty, if you run has been running for some time now with the new version, chances are that any new recordings have overwritten critical portions of what was already there, so I wouldn't have much faith in it.

As for confirming the installation of the kernel, you can verify this by looking at /var/log/messages after the unit boots, and you should see a message documenting the new kernel's use (i think there is a "courtesan" in there). However, if CopyKern has run successfully you should get a confirmation message and a swap initialization message which means its been run just fine. Of course if you didn't run the kill_initrd FIRST, you will have other problems, and the game is up...

Old 03-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #236
mattereater

my SAT T60 troubles MAY be over

I have a five year old SAT T60. Two years ago I added a 160G and TurboNet using Jenkins/Hinsdale/etc. Never really used the network stuff. Two weeks ago strange behavior began and ten days ago infinite reboot. After trying in vain to backup/restore with MFSTools concluded that original 40G had died - it took the low-level hour long floppy boot disk diag to prove this (to me). Alas I had no image backup. If I made one two years ago I couldn't find it. I discovered InstantCake and decided to use it to put a new image (3.5) on a brand new 300G and remove my still-good 160G which still has tons of video on it but I assume, with its A drive dead, is inaccessible. Long night of work paid off with brand new TiVo in morning. During directed setup saw the weird dialing prefix - hadn't done enough research on phone calls and updates and 'fixed this' with a valid dial-in number. Everything seemed back to normal (minus all of our video) until ... It only took a few days to get 3.5b on the device and then the real strangeness began with recordings causing reoots, messages about recording errors, background screens disappearing, googling, and arriving at this great thread. Two nights ago I tried a few iterations of copykern and kill_initrd but nothing worked and so got the very latest InstantCake with one of my remaining downloads (Thank you very much BTW), baked new 3.5b into dirive, had to do a kill_initrd, after baking (this is right, right?), ftp'd .NETREADY from another PTVupgrade download (Thanks for this too) and all is well again ... but TiVo is banned from using the telephone.

Thank you again DVRUpgrade for InstantCake and support and thank you TiVo community.
mattereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #237
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattereater
I have a five year old SAT T60. Two years ago I added a 160G and TurboNet using Jenkins/Hinsdale/etc. Never really used the network stuff. Two weeks ago strange behavior began and ten days ago infinite reboot. After trying in vain to backup/restore with MFSTools concluded that original 40G had died - it took the low-level hour long floppy boot disk diag to prove this (to me). Alas I had no image backup. If I made one two years ago I couldn't find it. I discovered InstantCake and decided to use it to put a new image (3.5) on a brand new 300G and remove my still-good 160G which still has tons of video on it but I assume, with its A drive dead, is inaccessible. Long night of work paid off with brand new TiVo in morning. During directed setup saw the weird dialing prefix - hadn't done enough research on phone calls and updates and 'fixed this' with a valid dial-in number. Everything seemed back to normal (minus all of our video) until ... It only took a few days to get 3.5b on the device and then the real strangeness began with recordings causing reoots, messages about recording errors, background screens disappearing, googling, and arriving at this great thread. Two nights ago I tried a few iterations of copykern and kill_initrd but nothing worked and so got the very latest InstantCake with one of my remaining downloads (Thank you very much BTW), baked new 3.5b into dirive, had to do a kill_initrd, after baking (this is right, right?), ftp'd .NETREADY from another PTVupgrade download (Thanks for this too) and all is well again ... but TiVo is banned from using the telephone.

Thank you again DVRUpgrade for InstantCake and support and thank you TiVo community.
Actually, you did not need to do the kill_inird after baking the cake. TurboNet and CacheCard drivers are already pre-installed, and in the last step of the bake, software is put in place to 'flash' the firmware of your unit; this allows the already-modified kernel to boot, and the fact that the image used for InstantCake has already had its initrd "neutered" means that ftp will be automatically enabled, and with your additional .NETREADY file, telnet, as well.

Lastly, you are not banned from using the telephone, but the default is to have a *# in your dialing prefix so that you don't accidentally make a phone call. To make a call, just edit your dialing options; use your phone, or change it to ,#401 if you want to make a call over the network. But be forewarned: If there is another update to the software (eg 3.5c), you may have problems, as the kernel is likely to not be lba48 aware.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #238
maerativo

Arrow Request a Miracle

I know that miracles do happen on occasion. Why don't we all email the TiVo Directv engineers and ask real nice like for them to incorporated the lba48 into future software upgrades for the series one units. It really would not cost them anything to do this and would make the rest of our lives a lot more pleasant.
maerativo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #239
sulli2p
Fried Green Tomatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by maerativo
I know that miracles do happen on occasion. Why don't we all email the TiVo Directv engineers and ask real nice like for them to incorporated the lba48 into future software upgrades for the series one units. It really would not cost them anything to do this and would make the rest of our lives a lot more pleasant.
I'll second this. I keep checking back here with each upgrade, hoping that lba48 has been added to Series 1. Then I look at the posts, and decide that life at 120 GB isn't all that bad. :-)

However, when Comcast rolls TiVo in this market, it will make this a moot point for me. But that's OT....

TiVo Premier
Philips DSR6000R01 DVTiVo [retired, available]
Samsung 5054
Yamaha RX-V371
Ascend CBM-170 mains
Ascend HTM-200SE center
Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10 surrounds
HSU STF-1 Sub
sulli2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #240
scarabus
GOLD MEMBER

Is there a safe way to take the 3.5 upgrade?

My SAT-T60 has been permanently at 3.1.0b ever since the 3.5 upgrade hit and killed it the first time. Now that sufficient time has passed, is there a safe way to take the upgrade if you have a large disk?

I'm thinking that if I let it reboot, install the software and reboot again, then unplug it straight away before it has chance to trash the database I might be able to patch the kernel at that point. Has anyone tried this successfully?

Is there a better/easier way to do this, without losing all my recordings??
scarabus is offline   Reply With Quote