TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #181
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabu
One alternative option for how to specify the 16:9 setting would be on a share by share basis instead of a TiVo by TiVo basis. That way it would be easy to try the variations of the flag going forward as new versions of the TiVo software are released. Just a thought.

Thanks again for all your efforts! This is a great little program.
I thought of that but they you would have multiple shares showing up at the bottom of the screen and people may not like that as much.

Currently my thought is to select it by IP address, this would require static IPs but I think it is a doable solution.

Very happy to hear that solved your problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #182
Tegan

HELP! Ok, I'm a stupid newbie. Installed Python. Installed PyTivo according to the directions on the site. I tried to run it, and got this:

C:\Program Files\pyTivo>pyTivoService.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\pyTivoService.py", line 2, in <module>
import win32serviceutil
ImportError: No module named win32serviceutil

Clearly I've missed a step or something. Help?
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #183
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan
HELP! Ok, I'm a stupid newbie. Installed Python. Installed PyTivo according to the directions on the site. I tried to run it, and got this:

C:\Program Files\pyTivo>pyTivoService.py
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\pyTivoService.py", line 2, in <module>
import win32serviceutil
ImportError: No module named win32serviceutil

Clearly I've missed a step or something. Help?
Looks like you're trying to run it as a service. I've never done that but I know you have to download and install pyWin32 (assuming you're on Windows OS -- you didn't say). See this post for details on this download.

I would suggest you try running it in command line mode by just double-clicking pyTivo.py. Get it running good that way before making it a service.

Not sure what "directions on the site" you used, but be sure to check out the new pyTivo Wiki. Unfortunately I just checked it and couldn't find the deal about needing pyWin32 to run as a service -- I'm sure this will be corrected soon! (Or maybe I just missed it )

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #184
Tegan

C:\Program Files\pyTivo>pyTivo.py
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\pyTivo.py", line 10, in <module>
httpd = httpserver.TivoHTTPServer(('', int(port)), httpserver.TivoHTTPHandler)
File "C:\Program Files\pyTivo\httpserver.py", line 14, in __init__
BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer.__init__(self, server_address, RequestHandlerClass)
File "C:\Program Files\python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 330, in __init__
self.server_bind()
File "C:\Program Files\python25\lib\BaseHTTPServer.py", line 101, in server_bind
SocketServer.TCPServer.server_bind(self)
File "C:\Program Files\python25\lib\SocketServer.py", line 341, in server_bind
self.socket.bind(self.server_address)
File "<string>", line 1, in bind
socket.error: (10013, 'Permission denied')
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #185
dlfl
Cranky old novice

@tegan

I'm sure someone more expert than me will jump in here soon but I'm pretty certain this means you failed to make a network connection to your TiVo. Do you have TiVo Desktop installed? If so does it work?

Try to ping your Tivo:
1. Get the IP address for your tivo: Settings->Phone & Network
2. Open a Command Prompt Window and enter "ping <Tivo IP #>"

Yous should see something like this:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dave>ping 192.168.0.153

Pinging 192.168.0.153 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.153: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.0.153: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.153:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms
If you don't get the replies, you are not able to reach the Tivo via your network. This could be due to a firewall (e.g. Windows firewall) on your PC. Try temporarily disabling your firewall (OR) open up ports 9032 and 9033 on whatever firewall you have (at least one of these is used by pyTivo).

Another way to test network connection to a TiVo is via the http interface which will display the now playing list in your browser, see this post for details.

Do you have "Allow Transfers" checked in the DVR Preferences section of your on-line TiVo account management? Note it can take hours after this is checked for it to be pushed into your TiVo from their network.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and

Last edited by dlfl : 03-18-2007 at 04:45 PM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #186
dlan1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan
I am assuming subtitles are in a separate ".srt" file??
KRKeegan,

yes, I was referring to subtitles in a separate .srt file.

Great job on the new Wiki you started on armooo's site btw... should I assume that discussions should be migrated to there?

Last edited by dlan1000 : 03-18-2007 at 07:01 PM.
dlan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #187
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan
C:\Program Files\pyTivo>pyTivo.py
socket.error: (10013, 'Permission denied')
I will do my best to help you:
1. Yes you should run pyTivo.py alone first and make sure everything works before trying to install it as a service. Here you can find instructions for installing pyTivo. If you want to install as a service the instructions are at the bottom. I added the note that this requires pywin32.

2. A search of your socket area gives us this reponse from microsoft:

Code:
WSAEACCES
Permission denied. 
An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. An example is using a broadcast address for sendto without broadcast permission being set using setsockopt(SO_BROADCAST). 
Another possible reason for the WSAEACCES error is that when the bind function is called (on Windows NT 4 SP4 or later), another application, service, or kernel mode driver is bound to the same address with exclusive access. Such exclusive access is a new feature of Windows NT 4 SP4 and later, and is implemented by using the SO_EXCLUSIVEADDRUSE option.
What it looks like this error means is that pyTivo.py cannot bind to the socket 9032. I don't know what is causing this but I have some suggestions.
1. If you are running something that uses socket 9032 such as TivodotNet or TiVo desktop?? Try closing these first and try again.
2. Maybe your firewall is blocking pyTivo.py from using this port?? Try opening port 9032 in your firewall.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #188
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlan1000
KRKeegan,

yes, I was referring to subtitles in a separate .srt file.

Great job on the new Wiki you started on armooo's site btw... should I assume that discussions should be migrated to there?
No you can keep discussions here. In terms of bugs or feature requests you can add them as a new ticket. Which I already did for subtitles. But this is still a good place to discuss pyTivo in general.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #189
armooo
pyTivo Developer

I am going to be making pyTivo auto select 16:9 or 4:3 based on the tivo making the request. I am going to do this by making a blacklist of tivo models that do not honor the aspect ratio set in the mpeg. 16:9 files will be a better quality even on a 4:3 tv because we will be wasting less of the resolution encoding black bars.

I am going to need people to report if 16:9 mode works on there tivo and the first 3 digits of the tivo's service number.

I have 2 240's and they both can play back 16:9 files with out any problems.

armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #190
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo
I am going to be making pyTivo auto select 16:9 or 4:3 based on the tivo making the request. I am going to do this by making a blacklist of tivo models that do not honor the aspect ratio set in the mpeg. 16:9 files will be a better quality even on a 4:3 tv because we will be wasting less of the resolution encoding black bars.

I am going to need people to report if 16:9 mode works on there tivo and the first 3 digits of the tivo's service number.

To clarify, this means 16:9 videos play fine on your TV if you have 4:3 mode selected in your TiVo settings.

Very cool I like the idea. Sabu since I know it doesn't work for you be sure to tell us the first three of your TSN. I think someone said their DT tivo didn't work either.

Mine is 230 and 16:9 works great.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #191
A@ron

Got the version of 173 working on Mac OS 10.4.9 with python 2.5 installed. Let me know if anyone wants my compile of ffmpeg which did it. I built it from source with as many libraries as I could compile. I could also make a preference pane for pyTivo like I made for Tivo.Net if there is an interest in it.
A@ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #192
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:

You may be interested in this technical note from Justin Thyme:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post3199608

He started a table of TiVo model numbers and how they handle 16:9/4:3 issues. It's incomplete, but lists the 240, 540 and a Toshiba RS-TX.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #193
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Quote:
To clarify, this means 16:9 videos play fine on your TV if you have 4:3 mode selected in your TiVo settings.

Very cool I like the idea. Sabu since I know it doesn't work for you be sure to tell us the first three of your TSN. I think someone said their DT tivo didn't work either.

How will this change effect Tivos who do not handle when in 4:3, but in 16:9 connected to a 16:9 TV look great. I guess I am worried that this will add black bars to the sides or the top and bottom, or require the TV to be run in 4:3 stretched mode?

I think it would be nice to be able to specify a full TSN that would get the 4:3 setting, but allow others to remain at 16:9.. Or deoes that even matter?
Tivo HD @ 750GB Green Drive
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
pyTivo Windows Home Server @ 3TB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Hitachi Ultravision Plasma
CheezWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #194
sabu

Quote:

TSN starting with 649 that does not play 16:9 videos with 4:3 mode selected.
sabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #195
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezWiz
How will this change effect Tivos who do not handle when in 4:3, but in 16:9 connected to a 16:9 TV look great. I guess I am worried that this will add black bars to the sides or the top and bottom, or require the TV to be run in 4:3 stretched mode?

I think it would be nice to be able to specify a full TSN that would get the 4:3 setting, but allow others to remain at 16:9.. Or deoes that even matter?
Well I think, armooo is working on this so I can't be sure, pyTivo will still be able to handle this. I am a big fan of flow charts so here is what I think it will do with a 16:9 video on the pc:

1. If the TiVo is capable of playing nice with 16:9 videos even when the TiVo is in 4:3 mode, then just send the file as 16:9.
2. If the TiVo is a listed black list device then send as 4:3, UNLESS
3. Some override setting has been set in the configuration file then send as 16:9

Again this override will probably be global, to all TiVos, in the first iteration. But this can be a per TiVo setting in the future.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #196
MT-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by A@ron
Got the version of 173 working on Mac OS 10.4.9 with python 2.5 installed. Let me know if anyone wants my compile of ffmpeg which did it. I built it from source with as many libraries as I could compile. I could also make a preference pane for pyTivo like I made for Tivo.Net if there is an interest in it.
A@ron,

Yes Please! I have your TiVo.Net Preferance Pane running on my 20" iMac G5 (OS X 10.4.9). I too had installed the latest version of Python and pyTivo, and saw the same results that you had. I would be very interested in trying pyTivo for comparison (especially if it had a slick Preferance Pane front-end like the one you did for TiVo.Net!).

Todd

13" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)
OS X 10.6.4
Galleon 2.5.5
iTiVo + pyTiVoX
AppleTV
MT-Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #197
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A@ron
So far I understand the requirements of installing on OS X to be:
1. python 2.5
2. a different compiled version of ffmpeg?

If you could post some note here I am sure all OSX users would appreciate it. And if you want you can send me the compiled ffmpeg in some format that won't corrupt it, "zip" maybe?? I dunno.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #198
panacea

The updates in the 178 build fixed my aspect ratio issue (16:9 videos not playing correctly on a Tivo set to 4:3). Apologies for my inarticulate description, it was exactly as inthewoods said, "the screen gets whacked like every other scanline is shifted and the picture ends up in 3 interlaced sections".

If it helps, the first 3 of my TSN is 540.

You guys rock!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #199
inthewoods

Patch to subversion r178

This patch has a few edits from the baseline 178:
  • Configuration to specify if you want 720, 704 or 544 pixel output
  • Enhanced the beacon code to take a list of broadcast addresses to work around problems with multi-interface (multi-home) machines
  • Configuration for Audio and Video bitrate in case you are using a newer version of ffmpeg that doesn't like 192 and 4096 but needs 192K and 4096K, respectively
  • Aspect code works with variable output resolution (WARNING: it has only been tested going to 4:3 output though... so I might've messed up for screen size != 720)
  • Rewrote 4:3 padding algorithm to assume square pixels in the source, which is usually safe for files downloaded from the internet. I get better results on my 540 Tivo when viewing widescreen source on my 4:3 TV with this algorithm.
  • Updated config file to include all the new options along with documentation

Attached Files
File Type: txt patch-vs-r178.txt (11.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by inthewoods : 03-20-2007 at 10:28 PM.
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #200
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewoods
This patch has a few edits from the baseline 178:
  • Configuration to specify if you want 720, 704 or 544 pixel output
  • Enhanced the beacon code to take a list of broadcast addresses to work around problems with multi-interface (multi-home) machines
  • Configuration for Audio and Video bitrate in case you are using a newer version of ffmpeg that doesn't like 192 and 4096 but needs 192K and 4096K, respectively
  • Aspect code works with variable output resolution (WARNING: it has only been tested going to 4:3 output though... so I might've messed up for screen size != 720)
  • Rewrote 4:3 padding algorithm to assume square pixels in the source, which is usually safe for files downloaded from the internet. I get better results on my 540 Tivo when viewing widescreen source on my 4:3 TV with this algorithm.
  • Updated config file to include all the new options along with documentation
Thank you for the updates I will look them over. Already I have a few issues.
1. you can safely add 'K' to the bitrates on old versions of ffmpeg and is doesnt pose a harm. I know I am missing it on the audio i forgots to fix that part.
2. "Rewrote code to assume square pixels in 4:3" hmm the original code did this. You should see a .888 multiplier or its inverse. This is because TV's while having 4:3 frame aspect only have 720x480 lines or 3:2. Thus when determining the aspect or padding, you have to remember that a line in the output is not equal to a line in the input.

Edit Ok further review. You appear to come to the same conlusion your stretch_ratio factor is equal to .8888 under the default setting. But you are right if we start allowing other dimensions we will need this change. Give me a day or two to put this in a branch and check it out there are a lot of changes here.

Last edited by KRKeegan : 03-20-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #201
armooo
pyTivo Developer

I just committed version 179. It adds the 16:9 blacklist while defaulting to use 16:9. It also has per tivo settings for aspect ratio. The per tivo config block will look like

##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
[_tivo_2400000DEADBEEF]

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
aspect169=true

Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #202
inthewoods

Quote:
Give me a day or two to put this in a branch and check it out there are a lot of changes here.
Cool... thanks for the code review... Sorry for so many edits at once. I just got excited

pyTivo is so much better than dealing with scripting VLC or fighting Tivo desktop or Galleon on Windows Vista!
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #203
ocntscha

pyTivo rules!! Its working fantastic for me, I just start it up, it runs for days with me using it frequently but never once having to go and restart it or touch it in anyway on my server! Yeah!

All my videos are displaying nicely now too. They mostly where all ready but the last couple rounds of your guys improvements in the ffmpeg settings has got the only couple troublesome videos I have displaying nicely now too.

I've been watching LOTs of video podcasts on my Tivo thanks to pyTivo. Here's a great source to find them, http://digg.com/podcasts. Here's the podcatcher I use.. http://linc.homeunix.org:8080/scripts/bashpodder/

Something entirely unrelated, well just barely because its also written in Python. Unrelated even to Tivos but I suspect a lot of you folks might like this. I've been using a web based mp3 streamer for years which is entirely written it Python. Its called edna , its works fantastic. I can point and click listen to my entire music collection from anywhere. Its another program I've got configured to autostart when my system boots and then I just use it frequently but never ever have to mess with any glitches because like pyTivo, it just works.

Last edited by ocntscha : 03-21-2007 at 05:16 PM.
ocntscha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #204
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Quote:
I just committed version 179. It adds the 16:9 blacklist while defaulting to use 16:9. It also has per tivo settings for aspect ratio. The per tivo config block will look like

##Per tivo options
# section named _tivo_TSN with the tsn in all caps
[_tivo_2400000DEADBEEF]

#If you want to use 16:9 or 4:3 on this tivo
aspect169=true
Awesome armoo!
I look forward to trying it out.

BTW, I have a very talented (computer graphics artist) student worker who has some free time in my office. I am going to have him draw up some logo's for everyones perusal. Perhaps one of them will be good enough to become the official pyTivo logo..
Tivo HD @ 750GB Green Drive
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
pyTivo Windows Home Server @ 3TB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Hitachi Ultravision Plasma
CheezWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #205
A@ron

Quote:
If you could post some note here I am sure all OSX users would appreciate it. And if you want you can send me the compiled ffmpeg in some format that won't corrupt it, "zip" maybe?? I dunno.
Ok the wiki page is edited and a compiled version of ffmpeg which works for me is also linked there as well. Just out of curiosity is pyTivo limited to 56 files in one directory? Tivo.Net sees all 60 of my mp4 files (using the same ffmpeg as pyTivo too) but pyTivo only shows 56.

Last edited by A@ron : 03-22-2007 at 07:59 PM.
A@ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #206
armooo
pyTivo Developer

There should be no limit to the number of file in a directory. I would try turning on the debug option and see if the output says anything about them being incompatible.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM   #207
windracer
joined the 10k club

I've been poking around with pyTivo on Linux a bit more since pipakin has been MIA for a few weeks over on the TiVo.Net thread. Finally got it working and was able to successfully transfer a file.

So what's the point of type=audio? Will this play music as well? I tried setting up an audio section:
Code:
[pyTiVo Audio]
type=audio
path=/home/nas/Music
But when I start up pyTivo, I get this:
Code:
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.77', 2187)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 463, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 521, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/httpserver.py", line 54, in do_GET
    self.RootContiner()
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/httpserver.py", line 78, in RootContiner
    self.wfile.write(t)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/socket.py", line 254, in write
    data = str(data) # XXX Should really reject non-string non-buffers
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/Cheetah/Template.py", line 990, in __str__
    def __str__(self): return getattr(self, mainMethName)()
  File "_usr_share_TiVo_pyTivo_templates_root_container_tmpl.py", line 104, in respond
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/plugin.py", line 7, in GetPlugin
    module = __import__(module_name, globals(), locals(), name)
ImportError: No module named audio.audio
If I comment out that section (leaving just my video one) it starts up just fine. Am I missing something? I'm using the latest build (180).

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #208
Jabo4

I had that too, I haven't tried it in this version but I'm guessing it's still looking for transcode.py in the root folder, not the plugins folder like it was.
Jabo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #209
armooo
pyTivo Developer

It looks like a documentation error. The "audio" plugin is called music not audio. I will go fix that now.

The the music plugin it a very simple plugin for the Music and Photos section. It only supports mp3s, you can not fast forward / rewind in a song, but it takes very few resources. Unlike galleon I can run it while I am playing games without problems.

Last edited by armooo : 03-23-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #210
windracer
joined the 10k club

I changed to 'music' and now get a zlib error (and I do have zlib installed ... this is on Linux):
Code:
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.75', 2765)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 463, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 254, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 521, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 316, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 310, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/httpserver.py", line 54, in do_GET
    self.RootContiner()
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/httpserver.py", line 78, in RootContiner
    self.wfile.write(t)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/socket.py", line 254, in write
    data = str(data) # XXX Should really reject non-string non-buffers
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/Cheetah/Template.py", line 990, in __str__
    def __str__(self): return getattr(self, mainMethName)()
  File "_usr_share_TiVo_pyTivo_templates_root_container_tmpl.py", line 104, in respond
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/plugin.py", line 7, in GetPlugin
    module = __import__(module_name, globals(), locals(), name)
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/plugins/music/music.py", line 7, in <module>
    import eyeD3
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/eyeD3/__init__.py", line 42, in <module>
    import eyeD3.frames;
  File "/usr/share/TiVo/pyTivo/eyeD3/frames.py", line 21, in <module>
    import sys, os, os.path, re, zlib, StringIO, time, mimetypes;
ImportError: No module named zlib

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote