TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #121
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

OK,

Tivo.net user here (Barely)

Got this up and running via remote desktop during a meeting at work.. hehe
Anyways, is there a FAQ anywhere yet? If not, could we newbies fire off some Q's and get answers and get a FAQ assembled? Ill be glad to do it...
Tivo HD @ 750GB Green Drive
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
pyTivo Windows Home Server @ 3TB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Hitachi Ultravision Plasma
CheezWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #122
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezWiz
OK,

Tivo.net user here (Barely)

Got this up and running via remote desktop during a meeting at work.. hehe
Anyways, is there a FAQ anywhere yet? If not, could we newbies fire off some Q's and get answers and get a FAQ assembled? Ill be glad to do it...
I would love to have a wiki up and running. I have no problems hosting it on my site, but I don't want to take away from Armooo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A much better place to receive pyTivo help and updates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A python real time video transcoding server for TiVo.
KRKeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #123
sabu

Resizing question

I have an xvid file encoded at a resolution of 640x368. When I transfer from a windows box using version 173 of pyTivo/ffmpeg it doesn't look right on the TV. The image is shifted right by almost 1/4 of the screen, and the right side of the video can't be seen. When I look at it on the PC, the title and credits are centered, not off-center like they are on the TiVo.

What can I do to fix the guesstimate it is making for ffmpeg?

Thanks,
Bob

Here is the output from the log if that helps:
FFmpeg version SVN-r8047, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-pthreads --
enable-liba52 --enable-avisynth --enable-libdts --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaa
d --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libnut --enable-libogg --enable-l
ibtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-x264 --enable-xvid --enable-amr_nb --enable
-amr_wb --cpu=i686 --enable-memalign-hack --extra-ldflags=-static
libavutil version: 49.3.0
libavcodec version: 51.34.0
libavformat version: 51.10.0
built on Feb 21 2007 23:20:24, gcc: 4.3.0 20070126 (experimental)
Input #0, avi, from 'c:\tivo/Torchwood S01E01 Everything Changes.avi':
Duration: 00:50:45.0, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 962 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x368, 25.00 fps(r)
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 128 kb/s
Output #0, vob, to 'pipe:':
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480, q=2-31, 4096 kb/s, 29.97 fps
(c)
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp2, 44100 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
sabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #124
sabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabu
Well, the PII-333 over 100Mbit Ethernet only took 6 hours to transfer a 1 hour 15 minute show. Not as bad as I thought it would be.
And for the other extreme:

Core2Duo T7200 (2GHz laptop) over 100Mbit Ethernet to Dual Tuner SA: 51 minute show transfered in 17 minutes.
sabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #125
A@ron

ok I need a hand here. Got this running in Mac OS X by installing python 2.4. IDLE shows the beacon running but there are no videos showing. If I check 127.0.0.1:9032 I get
Code:
This is a tivoPY server
if I go here it's blank: http://127.0.0.1:9032/TiVoConnect?Co...ontainer=Video

my conf file looks like so:
Code:
[Server]

port=9032

#Full path to ffmpeg including filename

#For windows: ffmpeg=c:\Program Files\pyTivo\plugins\video\ffmpeg_mp2.exe

#For linux:   ffmpeg=/usr/bin/ffmpeg

ffmpeg=/pyTivo/ffmpeg

[<TiVoNet>]

type=video

##Full path to your files (No trailing slash needed)

#For windows: path=c:\videos

#For linux:   path=/media

path=/Volumes/HD2/TiVoNet/
it does not look like it is seeing any videos.
A@ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #126
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by A@ron
ok I need a hand here. Got this running in Mac OS X by installing python 2.4. IDLE shows the beacon running but there are no videos showing. If I check 127.0.0.1:9032 I get
Code:
This is a tivoPY server
if I go here it's blank: http://127.0.0.1:9032/TiVoConnect?Co...ontainer=Video

my conf file looks like so:
Code:
[Server]

port=9032

#Full path to ffmpeg including filename

ffmpeg=/pyTivo/ffmpeg

[<TiVoNet>]

type=video

path=/Volumes/HD2/TiVoNet/
it does not look like it is seeing any videos.
Ah I love it when I can correct someone else's mistake, especially when it's exactly the same one I made!

Instead of: "[<TiVoNet>]" you need to put in a label or title for this folder and do not enclose it in "<>", e.g., "[Videos-Part1]" (or "[TiVoNet]"). In other words the "<>" seems to be a no-no.

@KRKeegan: Perhaps a helpful hint not to use "<>" here in the distributed .conf file ??

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #127
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Wiki and/or FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan
I would love to have a wiki up and running. I have no problems hosting it on my site, but I don't want to take away from Armooo.
I second (third?) this motion and am willing to contribute.

and
Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 PM   #128
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabu
I have an xvid file encoded at a resolution of 640x368. When I transfer from a windows box using version 173 of pyTivo/ffmpeg it doesn't look right on the TV. The image is shifted right by almost 1/4 of the screen, and the right side of the video can't be seen. When I look at it on the PC, the title and credits are centered, not off-center like they are on the TiVo.

What can I do to fix the guesstimate it is making for ffmpeg?
A simple experiment to see if it might be a problem with Build 8047 of ffmpeg:

Replace ffmpeg_mp2.exe with the version used in TiVo.Net (build 7215). The link you need to download this is given in this prior post (if you don't already have it via Tivo.Net). The download will be a zip and the only file you need from it is ffmpeg.exe. Either rename it to ffmpeg_mp2.exe (rename the existing ffmpeg_mp2.exe first to save it) or change your pyTivo.conf ffmpeg path.

and
Old 03-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #129
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Quote:
ok I need a hand here. Got this running in Mac OS X by installing python 2.4. IDLE shows the beacon running but there are no videos showing.
Just curious,

Does the Linux version of FFMPEG work with OSX (BSDish/Unix) or did you download an OSX version from somewhere? I have a MacBook I was going to try this out with as well..
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #130
A@ron

Quote:
Just curious,

Does the Linux version of FFMPEG work with OSX (BSDish/Unix) or did you download an OSX version from somewhere? I have a MacBook I was going to try this out with as well..
I built my own. Or you can download ffmpegX and get contents of the application and borrow it out of there
Old 03-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #131
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Correction/Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
A simple experiment to see if it might be a problem with Build 8047 of ffmpeg:

Replace ffmpeg_mp2.exe with the version used in TiVo.Net (build 7215). The link you need to download this is given in this prior post (if you don't already have it via Tivo.Net). The download will be a zip and the only file you need from it is ffmpeg.exe. Either rename it to ffmpeg_mp2.exe (rename the existing ffmpeg_mp2.exe first to save it) or change your pyTivo.conf ffmpeg path.
Just noticed on the tivo.net thread that Build 7215 is an "Alternative FFMPEG download" I have the latest version of TDN and that is the build that was distributed with it. Anyway this seems to imply that if you have an older version of TDN the ffmpeg build may not be 7215.

Easy way to find the Build number: In a command window logged to the folder containing ffmpeg (or ffmpeg_mp2), just enter "ffmpeg -i dud".

and
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #132
dlan1000

Hey,

Is there any chance for adding subtitle support? I watch a lot of foreign films.

Pytivo is really great, btw. Its added new life to my tivo.
dlan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #133
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlan1000
Hey,

Is there any chance for adding subtitle support? I watch a lot of foreign films.

Pytivo is really great, btw. Its added new life to my tivo.
I am assuming subtitles are in a separate ".srt" file??

Old 03-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #134
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Well, I am going to start an "Official PyTivo FAQ & Q&A" thread if there are no objections. This thread should be dedicated to development, feature requests and bug reports. I hate how no one around here seems to follow that kind of logic. You end up with one thread 100's of posts in length with peple getting rude saying "If you had read the entire thread..." or refer to post #xxx for the first issue and post #yyy for the other. Seems really idiotic, but seems to happen alot here and on other forums... I dont see how we could be stealing any glory for doing so since the developers rarely have time for documentation..
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #135
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Well, I am going to start an "Official PyTivo FAQ & Q&A" thread if there are no objections. This thread should be dedicated to development, feature requests and bug reports. I hate how no one around here seems to follow that kind of logic. You end up with one thread 100's of posts in length with peple getting rude saying "If you had read the entire thread..." or refer to post #xxx for the first issue and post #yyy for the other. Seems really idiotic, but seems to happen alot here and on other forums... I dont see how we could be stealing any glory for doing so since the developers rarely have time for documentation..
I stated in an earlier post that I favored a FAQ and/or Wiki and I applaud your inititiative. However I'm wondering how another thread really serves the purpose? How would it differ from the current thread, which largely covers the same topics you mentioned (development, feature requests and bug reports)?

To me the advantage of an FAQ or Wiki is that the information is condensed, organized and edited by a gatekeeper (or several). I don't see how you can achieve that in a thread (since anyone can post anything, and no gatekeeper can change it).

Paraphrasing a line in "Ghost Busters", are you a moderator? (Only a moderator would have the power to make such a thread anything more than just another thread.)

and
Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #136
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Quote:
I stated in an earlier post that I favored a FAQ and/or Wiki and I applaud your inititiative. However I'm wondering how another thread really serves the purpose? How would it differ from the current thread, which largely covers the same topics you mentioned (development, feature requests and bug reports)?

To me the advantage of an FAQ or Wiki is that the information is condensed, organized and edited by a gatekeeper (or several). I don't see how you can achieve that in a thread (since anyone can post anything, and no gatekeeper can change it).

Paraphrasing a line in "Ghost Busters", are you a moderator? (Only a moderator would have the power to make such a thread anything more than just another thread.)
What I am saying is that this thread SHOULD be for development, feature requests and bug reports. The first post of this thread would be edited to point to the QA/FAQ thread for installation/usage issues. The first post of that thread would be regularly updated with reasonable Q & A's as the thread grows. That way, no one needs to span the entire thread looking for answers and this one does not get polluted with senseless garbage. All the relevant Q&A info would be added to the first post of the Q&A thread...

No moderator powers required for this simple task..
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #137
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
What I am saying is that this thread SHOULD be for development, feature requests and bug reports. The first post of this thread would be edited to point to the QA/FAQ thread for installation/usage issues. The first post of that thread would be regularly updated with reasonable Q & A's as the thread grows. That way, no one needs to span the entire thread looking for answers and this one does not get polluted with senseless garbage. All the relevant Q&A info would be added to the first post of the Q&A thread...

No moderator powers required for this simple task..
Sorry, I didn't understand you. I'm still not sure this is better than a wiki or something that could be filtered by the developers. You of course would be the sole gatekeeper of your proposed thread which implies quite a responsibility.

KRKeegan has offered to host a wiki. What do you think of that?

and
Old 03-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #138
CheezWiz
ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't understand you. I'm still not sure this is better than a wiki or something that could be filtered by the developers. You of course would be the sole gatekeeper of your proposed thread which implies quite a responsibility.

KRKeegan has offered to host a wiki. What do you think of that?
I too agree that it would be a better solution, but that appears to currently be at the sole discretion of the developer.

So we gotta start somewhere, at least the thread would be a launch point for wiki information should that route be approved. It would be a responsibility, but not much work. I am so pleased with how well this is working that I am inspired to contribute what little I can.

Anyone ever considered SourceForge for this? I am assuming that it is still all free? It has message boards that break into the proper categories for this kind of thing. As well as bug and feature request tracking and overall development management. The home page could point to the authors home page and the documentation page could be the wiki..
Tivo Series 2 @ 200GB
Onkyo TX-SR606 HDMI
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #139
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

wiki

nah, i will start it tonight, give me a few hours.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #140
armooo
pyTivo Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRKeegan
nah, i will start it tonight, give me a few hours.
I setup Trac at http://pytivo.armooo.net. It has a wiki that is open to the public . So you can start creating loads of documation.

Last edited by armooo : 03-14-2007 at 10:03 PM.
armooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #141
A@ron

Quote:
Ah I love it when I can correct someone else's mistake, especially when it's exactly the same one I made!

Instead of: "[<TiVoNet>]" you need to put in a label or title for this folder and do not enclose it in "<>", e.g., "[Videos-Part1]" (or "[TiVoNet]"). In other words the "<>" seems to be a no-no.

@KRKeegan: Perhaps a helpful hint not to use "<>" here in the distributed .conf file ??
Still no love... changed the conf file to get rid of the trailing slash to the video directory and corrected the <> issue...
Code:
[Server]
port=9032
#Full path to ffmpeg including filename\
ffmpeg=/pyTivo/ffmpeg

[TiVoNet]
type=video
path=/Volumes/HD2/TiVoNet
ffmpeg is not showing it's running at all in the process viewer and no videos show using the port 9032 connection

IDLE does give me some sort of strange error which may or may not be related:
Code:
Warning (from warnings module):
  File "/pyTivo/Cheetah/Compiler.py", line 1508
    "\nYou don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! "
UserWarning: 
You don't have the C version of NameMapper installed! I'm disabling Cheetah's useStackFrames option as it is painfully slow with the Python version of NameMapper. You should get a copy of Cheetah with the compiled C version of NameMapper.
I'll be more than happy to write up a mac section of a tutorial once I get this working BTW.

Last edited by A@ron : 03-14-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 PM   #142
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo
I setup Trac at http://pytivo.armooo.net. It has a wiki that is open to the public . So you can start creating loads of documation.
Great!

and
Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #143
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Still no love... changed the conf file to get rid of the trailing slash to the video directory and corrected the <> issue...
Code:
[Server]
port=9032
#Full path to ffmpeg including filename\
ffmpeg=/pyTivo/ffmpeg

[TiVoNet]
type=video
path=/Volumes/HD2/TiVoNet
I guess this is a Linux system -- so you don't need drive letters (e.g., "C:") at the front of your paths (??).

The warning can be ignored (covered in previous posts)

You won't see ffmpeg running until it actually starts transcoding a video and sending it to your TiVo -- well actually it runs for a few milliseconds for each file it scans for the Now Playing List, but you may not catch that. Can you see TiVoNet on your Now Playing List ?

You should see python on your process list -- at least that's the way it works on windows. Or maybe IDLE -- I don't run from IDLE.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 03-14-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #144
armooo
pyTivo Developer

A@ron

With your config you should be able to go to this URL and see a list of your videos.

http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?Co...tainer=TiVoNet

The Cheetah error is normal.

Last edited by armooo : 03-14-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #145
A@ron

Quote:
I guess this is a Linux system -- so you don't need drive letters (e.g., "C:") at the front of your paths (??).
It's a Mac running 10.4.9 which is built upon FreeBSD. So it's UNIX not Linux but same kinda thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armooo
With your config you should be able to go to this URL and see a lit of your videos.
I get an xml like response now with that link
Code:
−
	<TiVoContainer>
<ItemStart>0</ItemStart>
<ItemCount>0</ItemCount>
−
	<Details>
<Title>TiVoNet</Title>
<ContentType>x-container/tivo-videos</ContentType>
<SourceFormat>x-container/folder</SourceFormat>
<TotalItems>0</TotalItems>
</Details>
</TiVoContainer>
no files showing though... could it be having an issue since my files are on a different volume than the boot volume?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:12 AM   #146
dlfl
Cranky old novice

@ A@ron

What if you set up an alias on the pyTivo volume and put that in the .conf path? Sorry if that doesn't make sense. Long time since I touched Unix and I wasn't that great even then.

and
Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #147
armooo
pyTivo Developer

I would try creating a subfolder in /Volumes/HD2/TiVoNet if do don't have one.

If the subfolder shows up you have a problem with your ffmpeg.

If not the have a problem with the path.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:20 AM   #148
A@ron

it shows the folder. Nothing is wrong with my ffmpeg... it's the one I used with Tivo.Net and works fine there. These files a .mp4 (all of them) let me throw an AVI in the mix.

::Edit::
not even the AVI shows. The path to my ffmpeg is correct since I've got one in the pyTivo folder.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #149
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
it shows the folder. Nothing is wrong with my ffmpeg... it's the one I used with Tivo.Net and works fine there. These files a .mp4 (all of them) let me throw an AVI in the mix.

::Edit::
not even the AVI shows. The path to my ffmpeg is correct since I've got one in the pyTivo folder.
To see what info ffmpeg is returning about your files do this:

In transcode.py, in the video_info() function, find the line
output = ffmpeg.stderr.read()

Insert after that line:
print output
Be sure the indent exactly matches the previous line. Do not use tabs for the indent -- use spaces (unless you see that tabs have been used for all the other indents in the file).

Run pyTivo and go to the NPL to the pyTivo folder(s). You should see 6-10 lines of ffmpeg text output for every file scanned. This output is the same you would get if you ran ffmpeg -i filename from a command line.

pyTivo parses this text to determine type(codec) width height fps and duration in milliseconds. If it fails to find any of these, the file is not recognized as a video file. If ffmpeg running on your platform has some variation of format that causes the parsing to fail, that would explain things -- and it probably can easily be fixed!

and

Last edited by dlfl : 03-15-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #150
KRKeegan
Im lost and confused

Quote:
Hmm, I am wondering if ffmpeg is even starting at all. I have suspicions that subprocess may function slightly different on a Mac??

Armooo
Thanks for the wiki. I will be more than happy to toss in a few hours of work into that tonight. I think documentation is what we are currently lacking.