Series2 DirecTV SD Unit 212 47.96%
Series2 DirecTV HD Unit 90 20.36%
Series2 Standalone Unit 113 25.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 442. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #361
floppy_joe

thank you, thank you, thank you

U are a tivo God. Works great and a long time coming. I need to check the boards more often for new gems. Wonder what else I have missed.

Thanks again.

sony series1 and hughes series2
floppy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #362
cdma

Great Program and works with no issues. Now to get TYSHOW to stream to that PC.....Is it possible
cdma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #363
goofeyfoot

"Not Connected Error"

Hello:

I put the client on my Sony SVR2000 yesterday. Came to work today and was able to access the Tivo fine. Did it about 4 times to make sure it worked. Logged out. After lunch checked again and got the dreaded "Your Tivo is not connected" error.

I'm not really a power user or anything. But is there something I can do to fix this problem?

Let me give you my limited opinion about this application. It's true that even a neophyte like myself can set up the program without a hitch. But just as easily, the program started spitting me out with the not connected notice. I have gone through twelve or thirteen pages on the forums to try to figure out what to do next but to no avail thus far.

Seems like if you are not super sophisticated you can sort of get in a jam where you don't know what to do. Try to reinstall? Try to remove the application? Pray?

If I were going to change something I suppose I would come up with a routine that just cleanly removes the application. That way, someone who is up against a wall can just clean up their install and wait for the pros to re-write the application.

On a more positive note, the concept seems to be a good one and hopefully someday all the kinks will be worked out.

Thanks for reading.

Michael

Sony SVR 2000
One drive
Tivo Net Card
Time Warner Roadrunner
Linksys Router

Last edited by goofeyfoot : 02-15-2007 at 08:05 PM.
goofeyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:24 AM   #364
goofeyfoot

Don't know if this means anything but....

Hello:

Series 1. Single drive. SVR2000.

I am a person whose Tivo shows "not connected" periodically. May have isolated the problem, but am not sure.

On the Web Project menu is a "Restart" button. Up till now I have been using the "quit" option under that to come out of a session. When I do, I can't get back into the gotomysvr server.

Now if I just simply close the browser, using no menu items at all, it seems like I can get back in anytime I want.

Will report further if this phenomenon holds.

Thanks.

Michael

Sony SVR 2000
One drive
Tivo Net Card
Time Warner Roadrunner
Linksys Router
Old 02-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #365
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeyfoot
Hello:

Series 1. Single drive. SVR2000.

I am a person whose Tivo shows "not connected" periodically. May have isolated the problem, but am not sure.

On the Web Project menu is a "Restart" button. Up till now I have been using the "quit" option under that to come out of a session. When I do, I can't get back into the gotomysvr server.

Now if I just simply close the browser, using no menu items at all, it seems like I can get back in anytime I want.

Will report further if this phenomenon holds.

Thanks.

Michael
"quit" is a command that tells TiVoWebPlus to stop running. From the sounds of it, the gotomydvr processes are all working fine, but by "quitting" TiVoWebPlus, you have nothing to connect to... What you meant to do was "quit" the browser, not TiVoWebPlus -- which is what you are doing when you 'close' the browser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #366
goofeyfoot

Boy I was kind of hoping that no one would notice how numb I was to use that quit feature.

By way of a lame excuse let me offer this. I was always taught not to just "pull the plug" on anything. So I was nervous about just shutting down the browser. By prowling around through the menu I found the "quit" function and took it to mean that was the exit out of the network session. So you are right, what I was doing was stopping the app, which required a reboot and so forth.

Thanks.

Michael

Sony SVR 2000
One drive
Tivo Net Card
Time Warner Roadrunner
Linksys Router
Old 02-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #367
bribro

Tried to telnet to my unit but got ".Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed"

also, not sure if it is related, but when I try to login in to the Tivo server using my browers , I get a password, but nothing works. e.g. tivo - user name, password = MAC or Media access Key.

Unit is a series II

Any tips?
bribro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #368
tsr192
it's all new to me:)

could someone please tell me where to find the TiVo Service ID? I have a directv phillips #708 Thanks very much
tsr192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #369
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr192
could someone please tell me where to find the TiVo Service ID? I have a directv phillips #708 Thanks very much
type "cryto -gsn" when you are telnetted into the unit - or look at your system information screen; also, when installing the client, it should tell you what your service id is as it runs the crypto command as part of the installation...

Old 02-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #370
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribro
Tried to telnet to my unit but got ".Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed"

also, not sure if it is related, but when I try to login in to the Tivo server using my browers , I get a password, but nothing works. e.g. tivo - user name, password = MAC or Media access Key.

Unit is a series II

Any tips?
please keep in mind that having a unit that you can telnet to is a prerequisite to installing the gotomydvr client. if you haven't yet taken care of that, you won't be able to install it. please see the first post of this thread for more info; you may need to seek help elsewhere on the forum for getting the basic networking issues resolved first.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 AM   #371
smartwatermelon

Success story: The client was installed with the 2007-02-12 version of rbautch and Gunnyman's Zipper script, but I wasn't initially able to connect from the Web site. I may have needed to reboot, because after the scheduled reboot last night I'm able to connect today. The only disconnections I see are timeouts, in the HiGuide and other content-heavy pages. I was able to run a manual schedule through the Web site.

1. UNIT TYPE -- Philips DSR704R17
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC): DSL (Speakeasy)
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP: static public, static private
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET): D-Link DUB-E100 USB-Ethernet -> D-Link DWL-G820 Ethernet-Wireless bridge -> Linksys WAP54G 802.11g access point -> Linksys RT41-BU home router -> Broadxent 8021-V1 DSL CPE.
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO): Yes, but only timeouts.

Philips DSR704, 500GB, Zippered
Philips DSR704, 500GB, Zippered (unsubbed for MRV)
DirecTV HR21 HD-DVR, unhacked as of yet

smartwatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #372
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Good to hear all is well. You do need to reboot after the client is installed (it gets started up automatically at boot time), so you are right; if the unit goes through a nightly reboot, that would have done it.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #373
BBQ-AllStar

I'm having problems getting it to work on my HD-TiVo (HR10-250). It works excellent on my DSR7000.

I telnet into my HDTIVO...and enter the first command

"http_get -T 0 -C 0 -D /var/tmp -U http://68.178.174.173:80/b_install.sh"

and it responds...

"Segmentation fault"

I am running version 6.3c upgraded via Slicer.

TIA,

BBQ

***UPDATE -- OOPS, I just read the 2nd post and d/l the .zip file -- I will try the new method and see what happens.

SUCCESS!!

www.bbq-allstars.com

Last edited by BBQ-AllStar : 03-06-2007 at 08:09 PM.
BBQ-AllStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #374
TivoTyro
Wannabe Tivo Guru

Success x 3

3 Series 2 Standalone DTV Units

All functioning perfectly!

GREAT SERVICE
TivoTyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #375
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Hughesnet

Still nothing for those of us that have to resort to HughesNet?
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #376
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh
Still nothing for those of us that have to resort to HughesNet?
Unfortunately, that's your friends at Hughes who are blocking your ports and preventing you from using the service. Nothing we can do about that...

Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #377
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

for those using the slicer

For those of you using The Slicer to move from 3.1.5f ---> 6.3c or 6.2 --> 6.2a on your DirecTV TiVo units, you may find that the gotomydvr client is "disabled" after the installation, so you'll want to double check once you've completed the process. In short, when the gotomydvr directory is copied from the old partition to the new one, it may be renamed as gotomydvr_untested (simply because we were not sure whether the "new" software would work with the "old" client.

Suffice it to say that the gotomydvr client is working fine on both new OS'es so all you have to do is either reinstall it, or simply rename the gotomydvr_untested back to gotomydvr, reboot and you should be good to go.

Thx

Old 03-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #378
osheros

Arrow dbclient eating CPU time

I recently install the gotomydvr client on my S2 SD DTivo. Shortly after I noticed the Tivo responding to my remote control and telnet command pretty slowly. A quick check of TOP shows dbclient taking up 25% to 35% of the CPU time. This seems excessive.

I downloaded/installed the latest version (1.2) and have rebooted a couple times. No change. With the client installed, my Tivo is slow. Is this normal?

-Sam
osheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:15 AM   #379
SteveT
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osheros
....A quick check of TOP shows dbclient taking up 25% to 35% of the CPU time. This seems excessive.......
Sounds like it might be the same problem I had here.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #380
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT
Sounds like it might be the same problem I had here.
I have seen this on one of my units, as well. Its not the /dev/null issue, but it may be indirectly related to that. I had the developer look at it with "strace" and there may be some sort of race condition occuring with /dev/null and a system call; whatever it is is not very straightforward and non-deterministic. What he can't tell is whether its truly a problem with dbclient or an OS problem that is triggered by it along with something else.

I'm not certain of whether this problem is widespread, OS specific, hardware specific, etc. So any additional data or analysis would be useful.

Thx

Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #381
osheros

Question dbclient eating CPU time

What kind of data would you like? I did check (and re-created /dev/null).

For now I think I'll just uninstall the client. Can you post instructions on uninstalling? Thanks.

-Sam
osheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #382
unclemoosh
I Wish I knew Then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Unfortunately, that's your friends at Hughes who are blocking your ports and preventing you from using the service. Nothing we can do about that...
I don't belive that completely accurate. I have not had any issues with blocked ports. I believe the issue is with http_get. What ports does the gotomydvr cleint use? I can test them to see if they are open.

I don't really need the client, as I do have access to my units via RDP and orenosp. But I thought that the client was being developed for an easy, able to be used tool for everybody. I was just wanting to do what I could for those who have HughesNet and don't have RDP setup or want to buy the orenosp license.

Just trying to help with the development.
TivoWebPlus, mfs_ftp, Galleon, Movieloader, JavaHMO, tivoserver, etc.
unclemoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #383
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemoosh
I don't belive that completely accurate. I have not had any issues with blocked ports. I believe the issue is with http_get. What ports does the gotomydvr cleint use? I can test them to see if they are open.

I don't really need the client, as I do have access to my units via RDP and orenosp. But I thought that the client was being developed for an easy, able to be used tool for everybody. I was just wanting to do what I could for those who have HughesNet and don't have RDP setup or want to buy the orenosp license.

Just trying to help with the development.
If you think http_get is not working, make sure you read the first post of the thread and replace your version of http_get, if that fits the bill; without knowing what type of unit you have, I have know way of knowing whether that is the problem.

As for the ports; the server assigns a different port to every system that is registered; it is somewhat random. Any system that blocks originating connections on any port (or range of ports) is suspect there.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #384
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by osheros
What kind of data would you like? I did check (and re-created /dev/null).

For now I think I'll just uninstall the client. Can you post instructions on uninstalling? Thanks.

-Sam
To uninstall, you can simply telnet to the unit and type:

Code:
rm -rf /gotomydvr
and that will completely remove the client. The only other thing installed is a conditional startup statement in your rc.sysinit.author file. You can leave it alone as it won't do anything if the gotomydvr files are not there.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #385
Smuuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
For those of you using The Slicer to move from 3.1.5f ---> 6.3c or 6.2 --> 6.2a on your DirecTV TiVo units, you may find that the gotomydvr client is "disabled" after the installation, so you'll want to double check once you've completed the process. In short, when the gotomydvr directory is copied from the old partition to the new one, it may be renamed as gotomydvr_untested (simply because we were not sure whether the "new" software would work with the "old" client.

Suffice it to say that the gotomydvr client is working fine on both new OS'es so all you have to do is either reinstall it, or simply rename the gotomydvr_untested back to gotomydvr, reboot and you should be good to go.

Thx
Ok, that solved it for me. Thanks, Lou.
I had run the slicer and upgraded from 3.1.5f to 6.3c and of course gotomydvr quit working. I had ftp'd several other things back and forth but did not even notice the gotomydvr directory had been renamed. I just did the following:

Code:
rootwrite
mv /gotomydvr_untested/ /gotomydvr/
/gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr &
ps -aux
rootread
ps -aux yielded
Code:
7895 root        996 S   /bin/bash /gotomydvr/etc/rc.gotomydvr
7902 root        988 S   /bin/sh /gotomydvr/etc/watchdog.sh
7903 root        740 S   /gotomydvr/bin/dbclient -T -p 22 -i /gotomydvr/etc/id
I have not yet rebooted (wife is watching Tivo) but I could connect fine through gotomydvr while the telnet session was active. Once again the client stopped when I disconnected from the telnet session.

1. UNIT TYPE -- DirecTV HR10-250
2. BROADBAND TYPE (DSL, CABLE, ETC): DSL (Earthlink)
3. STATIC IP OR DYNAMIC IP: Dynamic Public, Static Private
4. NETWORK ADAPTER (USB type, CACHE or TURBONET): USB TRENDnet TU2-ET100
5. DISCONNECTS (YES, NO): Yes, previously, but it may be corrected now

Last edited by Smuuth : 03-28-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Smuuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #386
NYHeel

I've been getting an error on one of my DTivos when I go to the to do list. The error is:
Quote:
INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_ui '/todo' ''
couldn't open "/var/hack/etc/blocklist.txt": read-only file system
while executing
"open $filename w"
(procedure "gbl_load" line 3)
invoked from within
"gbl_load "/var/hack/etc/blocklist.txt""
(procedure "action_todo" line 9)
invoked from within
"action_todo $chan 7 $env"
(procedure "::action_ui" line 28)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--
I've tried restarting twp but the error is still there. It used to be on both of my Tivos but now it's only on one of them.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #387
NYHeel

One other question, is there a way to open 2 windows of IE with each window set up to a different Tivo on my gotomydvr account? When I try this I can't 2 different Tivos open at the same time. I like to do this when I'm consolidating my now playing lists and deleting duplicates that I have on both my tivos.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #388
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

NYHeel -

Your errors are TiVoWebPlus related, but not related to gotomydvr, specifically. Really not sure what the cause of the problem is, however I think you'll find that whether you are using the gotomydvr service or not, the behavior will be consistent.

As for your second question, there is no way to maintain two simultaneous sessions (that I know of).

Old 04-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #389
SteveT
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel
One other question, is there a way to open 2 windows of IE with each window set up to a different Tivo on my gotomydvr account? When I try this I can't 2 different Tivos open at the same time. I like to do this when I'm consolidating my now playing lists and deleting duplicates that I have on both my tivos.
You can open one session in IE and another in FireFox. The session attributes are not shared between those programs.
SteveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #390
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

You can even open simultaneous sessions in different tabs of Firefox or IE 7.

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote