TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #421
n548gxg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer
Count me in as one of the "Tivo screwed us crowd". Tivo seems to support the Series 1 for advertising, but is utterly baffled by clock technology. My family is currently using the friggin cable guide because they state the "Tivo is broken".
+1
n548gxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #422
VictorWI

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer
Count me in as one of the "Tivo screwed us crowd". Tivo seems to support the Series 1 for advertising, but is utterly baffled by clock technology. My family is currently using the friggin cable guide because they state the "Tivo is broken".
My S1 SA is working fine. Recording my shows, letting me time shift, pause live tv, fast forward through commercial. There is some cosmetic issue with the clock but I can add one.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #423
IHDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo
I obviously don't know the details, but why do you think TiVo created a patch for the S1 combo units and not the S1 standalones?

Why would TiVo go the extra mile for a company that dumped them as their preferred DVR platform unless they were contractually obligated to do so?
I'm inclined to believe Jerry that there wasn't a was to make the switch. Despite the fact that they are both S1's, since the DirecTivo boxes are different, it's not at all unrealistic to expect the software to be different. I would even speculate that the DirecTivo boxes get their time from the sattelite feed (like GPS does), so that the time handling parts would be one of the parts where the code was a little bit different, since you can't get time information from cable TV or an antenna...

I know that it's silly in this day and age to have trust in some people, but Stephen and Jerry are pretty honest folks, and I'm inclined to beleive that the problem isn't as easy as some of the self-proclaimed "experts" in this thread think that it is.
IHDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #424
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHDB
I'm inclined to believe Jerry that there wasn't a was to make the switch. Despite the fact that they are both S1's, since the DirecTivo boxes are different, it's not at all unrealistic to expect the software to be different. I would even speculate that the DirecTivo boxes get their time from the sattelite feed (like GPS does), so that the time handling parts would be one of the parts where the code was a little bit different, since you can't get time information from cable TV or an antenna...

I know that it's silly in this day and age to have trust in some people, but Stephen and Jerry are pretty honest folks, and I'm inclined to beleive that the problem isn't as easy as some of the self-proclaimed "experts" in this thread think that it is.
I suppose anything is possible, but I'm not convinced it was impossible from a technical point of view to fix the DST issue on the S1 standalones.

I found the new DST entries in the MFS database after my DSR6000 was upgraded from from 3.5 to 3.5b and 3.5b introduced offsets for DST start and end dates as well as start and end times. Prior to that, the 3.5 software on my DSR6000 had the same location configuration entries in MFS as my HDR312. As long as the TiVo binaries and scripts were updated to grab the DST info from MFS, one would think that it wouldn't be a big deal to implement this on the S1 standalones too.

In the end, it doesn't matter much anyway...
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #425
jberman
Mostly Harmless

Possible workaround?

PLEASE NOTE: Since the time I posted these scripts, TiVo has incorporated them into an official update that became available to S1 owners (regardless of current TiVo subscription status) on 3/14/2007. Please visit http://research.tivo.com/prioritydst to sign up for the official patch. Thanks! -jberman

--

I'm certainly no expert at this, but I think I might have figured out a workaround for my Series 1 SA (Philips) Tivo....

I spent most of the afternoon piecing together information on this problem, and eventually discovered that there's an MFS setting called TimeZoneOld that has the following possible values (which I grabbed from /tvlib/tcl/tv/DbEnum.tcl):

Code:
namespace eval TimeZone {
variable Eastern 1   [a.k.a. GMT-5]
variable Central 2   [a.k.a. GMT-6]
variable Mountain 3  [a.k.a. GMT-7]
variable Pacific 4   [a.k.a. GMT-8]
variable Alaska 5    [a.k.a. GMT-9]
variable Hawaii 6    [a.k.a. GMT-10]
variable GMT 7
variable GMTPlus1 8
variable GMTPlus2 9
variable GMTPlus3 10
variable GMTPlus4 11
variable GMTPlus5 12
variable GMTPlus6 13
variable GMTPlus7 14
variable GMTPlus8 15
variable GMTPlus9 16
variable GMTPlus10 17
variable GMTPlus11 18
variable GMTPlus12 19
variable GMTMinus1 20
variable GMTMinus2 21
variable GMTMinus3 22
variable GMTMinus4 23
variable GMTMinus11 24
variable GMTMinus12 25
}
I live on the U.S. east coast. Assuming that TivoApp manipulates this setting to control DST changes, I ran a little tcl script (included below) to set TimeZoneOld to 23 (a.k.a. GMT-4), then restarted my Tivo. Now the clock looks correct in the program guide, all my season passes still work, and everything (so far) looks good. My last step was to set up a crontab entry to make sure this script gets run on the second Sunday in March (and also the first Sunday in April and last Sunday in October for good measure, just in case TivoApp does something funky with the timezone then), and another one to set it back to GMT-5 on the first Sunday in November.

If you want to give it a try, good luck.... I'm posting the scripts and crontab entries here. This requires access to the bash prompt, or for you to pull your drives. In other words, it's intended for hacked Series 1 SA Tivos only. In addition, I can't support or guarantee anything... if you break your Tivo, you're SOL, yadda yadda yadda. But if do try it, please post your results here. I'd love to know if this helps anyone else. (FYI cron doesn't come with the S1 Tivo, but you can download a precompiled version here.)

The scripts below are for the Eastern time zone. If you live elsewhere, make sure you alter the tcl scripts to set the TimeZoneOld variable for your own timezone as follows:

Central time:
In DST_on.tcl, set TimeZoneOld to 1
In DST_off.tcl, set TimeZoneOld to 2

Mountain time:
In DST_on.tcl, set TimeZoneOld to 2
In DST_off.tcl, set TimeZoneOld to 3

Pacific time:
In DST_on.tcl, set TimeZoneOld to 3
In DST_off.tcl, set TimeZoneOld to 4

General case:
In DST_on.tcl, set TimeZoneOld to the code representing your offset from GMT during Daylight Savings Time
In DST_off.tcl, set TimeZoneOld to the code representing your offset from GMT during Standard Time.

DST_on.tcl: (run this on the 2nd Sunday in March, 1st Sunday in April, and last Sunday in October)
Code:
#!/tvbin/tivosh
source /tvlib/tcl/tv/Inc.itcl
source /tvlib/tcl/tv/mfslib.tcl
set db [dbopen]
try { transaction {
set setup [db $db open /State/LocationConfig]
puts "Springing ahead one hour ..."
dbobj $setup set TimeZoneOld 23 
} } catch errCode {
    puts "Sorry, an error occurred: $errCode"
    puts "NOTE: This script is only known to work on TiVo Series 1 Standalone"
    puts "models with s/w version 3.0-01-1-000"
    dbclose $db
    unset db
    exit 1
}
dbclose $db
unset db
event send $TmkEvent::EVT_DATA_CHANGED $TmkDataChanged::SCHEDULE 0
puts "Done"
DST_off.tcl (run this on the 1st Sunday in November):
Code:
#!/tvbin/tivosh
set db [dbopen]
try { transaction {
puts "Falling back one hour ..."
dbobj $setup set TimeZoneOld 1
} } catch errCode {
    dbclose $db
    unset db
    exit 1
}
dbclose $db
unset db
puts "Done"
crontab entries:
Code:
1 7 8-14 3 0 /var/hack/bin/DST_on.tcl; echo "`date` - Reboot for DST fix (spring ahead)" >> /var/log/cronlog_dst; sync; /sbin/restart
1 6 1-7 4 0 /var/hack/bin/DST_on.tcl; echo "`date` - Reboot for DST fix (undo TiVo spring ahead)" >> /var/log/cronlog_dst; sync; /sbin/restart
1 6 25-31 10 0 /var/hack/bin/DST_on.tcl; echo "`date` - Reboot for DST fix (undo TiVo fall back)" >> /var/log/cronlog_dst; sync; /sbin/restart
1 7 1-7 11 0 /var/hack/bin/DST_off.tcl; echo "`date` - Reboot for DST fix (fall back)" >> /var/log/cronlog_dst; sync; /sbin/restart
WARNING: It turns out that this crontab is broken. It runs every day of the week of the time change, AND every Sunday morning at 2:01 am during that month. For an updated version, please see Post #446 below. The scripts in this post will work fine when used without cron, however.

Last edited by jberman : 03-17-2007 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added link to official TiVo DST fix
jberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #426
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

You know, this is the part that irritates me more than anything else.

No matter what the reason that TiVo decided not to update the series 1 units - whether it be financial, technical, or even if they just didn't feel like it - had they said something more than 3-4 days ahead of time, someone like jberman would've been able to come up with something as a work-around with enough time before the DST changeover.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #427
BTUx9
back?

did you check your todo list?
I may be wrong, but I believe tivo schedules repeating manual recordings ahead of time, so if you change your timezone when DST actually changes, any manual recordings that are already scheduled will be off by one hour.
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #428
jberman
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberman
I'm certainly no expert at this, but I think I might have figured out a workaround for my Series 1 SA (Philips) Tivo....
Update: Just confirmed that newly-scheduled manual recordings are working perfectly... and even the ones that I scheduled before creating this workaround are still scheduled to record at the correct time. Woo hoo!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #429
timckelley
TCFer

If jberman, who I assume doesn't work for TiVo and is not one of the authors of the TiVo software, could figure this out, why couldn't TiVo's programmers and authors figure it out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #430
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Update: Just confirmed that newly-scheduled manual recordings are working perfectly... and even the ones that I scheduled before creating this workaround are still scheduled to record at the correct time. Woo hoo!
just to verify... let's say you set a manual recording before changing TZ, and in todo, it was scheduled for this monday from 2-3 (according to the tivo, which would have been an hour off and the actual recording would be 3-4)
Now, you've changed the TZ, and the recording is still scheduled for 2-3 on Monday, right?

If so, then congratulations... I think you've found a very workable solution to the problem.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #431
jberman
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
If jberman, who I assume doesn't work for TiVo and is not one of the authors of the TiVo software, could figure this out, why couldn't TiVo's programmers and authors figure it out?
Uh, thanks! No, I don't work for Tivo, and I really have only a limited experience in hacking it. But I can't really take too much credit for this (in fact I can't even say with 100% certainty that it works yet - won't really know until after April 1, though indications are good). Most of the information I needed came from this thread, especially post #9 (thanks sbourgeo!). I just put the pieces together, is all.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #432
jberman
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9
just to verify... let's say you set a manual recording before changing TZ, and in todo, it was scheduled for this monday from 2-3 (according to the tivo, which would have been an hour off and the actual recording would be 3-4)
Now, you've changed the TZ, and the recording is still scheduled for 2-3 on Monday, right?
BTUx9 -

That's right. For years now I've had a manual recording set to record every Friday night from 11:30 pm - 12:00 am. Now that I've changed the time zone, the ToDo list still shows the manual recording scheduled from 11:30 pm - 12:00 am. Since my Tivo's GMT setting is also correct, there's every reason to expect that it will record on-time, as scheduled.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #433
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
Umm... while this will help many people, it isn't a method that could be released in production, because times on either side of the DST change will be off, and that would freak some people out.

people are reading tivo's declaration of "Our engineers have been working on alternate solutions for the Series1, but unfortunately none exist.", and are inferring that to mean the engineers can't fix the software, but that's patently untrue.

The "alternate solutions" are probably given the constraints of "no downloads of new s/w for series 1 machines", and under those constraints, that statement is true.

They've just spun the wording to look like a technical problem.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 AM   #434
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
The "alternate solutions" are probably given the constraints of "no downloads of new s/w for series 1 machines", and under those constraints, that statement is true.
Not very many days ago, one of the TiVo employees posted here, and said that many TiVo employees have series 1 machines, and they want to fix the DST problem, and that they won't "leave us high and dry". (This was before the recent announcement that they're going to stiff us on the patch.) This announced intention that they had made at that time, seems to imply that they were willing to send download patches to us, that there wasn't some rule against letting us download a patch to the S1's.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-12-2007, 01:31 AM   #435
BTUx9
back?

Don't you think that could have been a corporate over-rule?

As a programmer, I just can't IMAGINE not being able to fix this given the full source code.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #436
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Nice jberman! I have to admit that I gave up on TimeZoneOld since I am in the Eastern zone and was too dense to notice that it could be set to "GMT-X" values.

That seems like workable solution since the bash prompt would continue to display GMT, which what the guide data works off of...
Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #437
jimnoblett
2012 BCS Champions

Quote:
people are reading tivo's declaration of "Our engineers have been working on alternate solutions for the Series1, but unfortunately none exist.", and are inferring that to mean the engineers can't fix the software, but that's patently untrue.

They've just spun the wording to look like a technical problem.
I suspect that the post TiVoJerry made here was given to him by the TiVo legal department, and was meant to deflect liability. Since jberman's patch seems to work, I would like to see TiVoJerry step up to the plate and explain WHY TiVo can't seem to fix this.

Last edited by jimnoblett : 03-12-2007 at 08:24 AM. Reason: fix grammar
jimnoblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #438
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Don't you think that could have been a corporate over-rule?

As a programmer, I just can't IMAGINE not being able to fix this given the full source code.
Must be. All of us corporate drones have to stick with the company line ya know...

My disappointment is with the decision made by TiVo the company, and not with Pony, Jerry, and Stephen, who have helped out a lot of us here on many occasions.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #439
jberman
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
That seems like workable solution since the bash prompt would continue to display GMT, which what the guide data works off of...
I can confirm that. It's 8:35 am here on the east coast, and the bash prompt returns GMT as follows:

bash-2.02# date
Mon Mar 12 12:35:30 localtime 2007

Perfect.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #440
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornblowercat
Sympathize with you again, but I guarantee you that the cable company DVR will not make you happy and you will have more problems with the time change then TiVo is giving you. Just think about it. Read through some of my post about my experience with Cable DVR's and time change.
To be fair, my cable company DVR is much much better than my TiVo S1. No problems whatsoever with the DST change on my cable company DVR.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #441
jberman
Mostly Harmless

Hmmm... it appears that my crontab entries will restart the Tivo every night during the affected weeks, not just on Sunday. I didn't know that crontab schedule values are cumulative. Figured this out the hard way when my Tivo rebooted at 3:01 last night! Won't harm the functionality... it's just annoying. Oh, well. Later today I'll try to amend the logic (or edit the tcl script) to make sure this runs only on the Sundays.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #442
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower
Would you care to elaborate?
I don't need to. The original message wasn't a lie because it was predictive. It was a mistake, not a lie. John McCain has declared he's going to be the next President of the United States. If he loses the election, does that mean his earlier declaration is a lie? Of course not. And with regard to the later statement, there is nothing that precludes any considerations from the decision that they're informing you of, except your own fiat.

Quote:
I'm merely noting the fact that "ethical" and "lawful" are not synonymous.
You implied that their actions weren't ethical. The fact that their actions are lawful means unequivocally that someone can legitimately consider them ethical, so they are not objectively unethical. Which is what I said.

Quote:
I don't believe that TiVo's values (as I've always perceived them) would allow them to promise customers a fix and not provide one.
So you're basing your arguments on your own, perhaps distorted, view of someone else's values, rather than allowing their actions to clearly demonstrate what their values really are. Okay, that's your prerogative.

Quote:
If they do, I no longer like TiVo's values and wish to criticize the company.
And please allow those of us who wish to, to rebut such criticism.

Quote:
The perception that this is TiVo's attitude stands to damage the company's reputation with consumers.
As I mentioned in another thread, I don't see how this minor issue with this small number of obsolete-product customers compares to the problems TiVo has left unremedied for long periods of time for large numbers of current-model customers.

Quote:
By the above criterion, the Series3 and dual-tuner Series2 models are the only standalone TiVo units that aren't "beyond obsolete."
In addition to my S1, I have two of the earlier S2 units. I already know that they're living on borrowed time.

Quote:
Incidentally, the "display screen" distinction doesn't exist. As of March 1, any device manufactured for sale in the U.S. containing an NTSC tuner must also contain an ATSC tuner.
Yup, I had a feeling that that was the case, but I was sure that that was the case for devices with display screens, so that's the analog I presented. I'm glad to know my analogy was more applicable than I presented it.

Quote:
Would it be reasonable to expect the part if the manufacturer promised it?
In writing as part of a signed contract? Or are you asking whether we should condemn to hell anyone who makes an off-the-cuff promise, not knowing what that promise entails, in a discussion forum, and then has to recant?

And so on... you're not worth the bother any longer. Gotta head to work.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #443
n548gxg

Quote:
My disappointment is with the decision made by TiVo the company, and not with Pony, Jerry, and Stephen, who have helped out a lot of us here on many occasions.
+1
n548gxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #444
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Must be. All of us corporate drones have to stick with the company line ya know...

Oh, ABSOLUTELY.
I'm sure, when posting here, they are "corporate spokesmen" and as such, they probably don't have much latitude at all when it comes to anything that might be embarrassing for the company.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #445
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Hmmm... it appears that my crontab entries will restart the Tivo every night during the affected weeks, not just on Sunday. I didn't know that crontab schedule values are cumulative. Figured this out the hard way when my Tivo rebooted at 3:01 last night! Won't harm the functionality... it's just annoying. Oh, well. Later today I'll try to amend the logic (or edit the tcl script) to make sure this runs only on the Sundays.
With cron, the closest we could probably get would be to have the script fired off at 1:59 AM every Sunday in March and November.

We would ideally come up with a single tcl script with enough smarts to check if it is the second Sunday in March or the first Sunday in November, pull the TimeZoneOld value out of MFS, reset it to an appropriate value (+1/-1 in most cases and 1/23 for the eastern time zone special case), and reboot.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #446
jberman
Mostly Harmless

PLEASE NOTE: Since the time I posted these scripts, TiVo has incorporated them into an official update that became available to S1 owners (regardless of current TiVo subscription status) on 3/14/2007. Please visit http://research.tivo.com/prioritydst to sign up for the official patch. Thanks! -jberman

--

Quote:
With cron, the closest we could probably get would be to have the script fired off at 1:59 AM every Sunday in March and November.

We would ideally come up with a single tcl script with enough smarts to check if it is the second Sunday in March or the first Sunday in November, pull the TimeZoneOld value out of MFS, reset it to an appropriate value (+1/-1 in most cases and 1/23 for the eastern time zone special case), and reboot.
Agreed. Well for starters, this new version (if used with cron) will only run on the 3rd Sunday in March, first Sunday in April, last Sunday in October and first Sunday in November (not every Sunday in March, April, October and November, plus every day of the week during the second week of March, first week of April, last week of October and first week of November, as my last attempt would have done!).

WARNING: these updated scripts are designed to work with cron only (it will only run on Sundays and automatically resets your Tivo). If you want to run the script manually, use the version that I posted in Post #425 above.

DST_on_cron.tcl:
Code:
#!/tvbin/tivosh
set dayofweek [exec date +%u]
if {$dayofweek != 7} {
  puts "Current day of the week isn't Sunday. Not adjusting timezone."
}
else {
  set db [dbopen]
  try { transaction {
    puts "Springing ahead one hour ..."
    dbobj $setup set TimeZoneOld 23 
  } } catch errCode {
    dbclose $db
    unset db
    exit 1
  }
  dbclose $db
  unset db
  set DSTlog [open /var/log/cronlog_dst a]
  set dateGMT [exec date]
  puts $DSTlog "$dateGMT - Reboot for DST fix (DST is now ON)"
  close $DSTlog
  puts "Done, rebooting now ..."
  sync
  reboot
}
DST_off_cron.tcl:
Code:
#!/tvbin/tivosh
set dayofweek [exec date +%u]
if {$dayofweek != 7} {
  puts "Current day of the week isn't Sunday. Not adjusting timezone."
}
else {
  set db [dbopen]
  try { transaction {
  puts "Falling back one hour ..."
  dbobj $setup set TimeZoneOld 1 
  } } catch errCode {
    dbclose $db
    unset db
    exit 1
  }
  dbclose $db
  unset db
  set DSTlog [open /var/log/cronlog_dst a]
  set dateGMT [exec date]
  puts $DSTlog "$dateGMT - Reboot for DST fix (DST is now OFF)"
  close $DSTlog
  puts "Done, rebooting now ..."
  sync
  reboot
}
crontab:
Code:
0 7 8-14 3 * /var/hack/bin/DST_on_cron.tcl
1 6 1-7 4 * /var/hack/bin/DST_on_cron.tcl
0 6 25-31 10 * /var/hack/bin/DST_on_cron.tcl                                   
1 7 1-7 11 * /var/hack/bin/DST_off_cron.tcl
Notes:
  • These crontab entries are for Eastern Standard Time and Eastern Daylight Time; add one to the 2nd column for each timezone westward from there (example: Central time should read "8 7 7 8" down the 2nd column, Mountain is "9 8 8 9," etc). You'll still also need to adjust the TimeZoneOld values inside the tcl scripts, as described in Post #425, if you intend to use this anywhere else but the East.

• Updates take place at 2:00 am in March and November and at 2:01 am in April and October (the extra minute is to allow the Tivo run the DST adjustment that was hard-coded for the old DST change; this script then undoes that).

• The logging and rebooting are now built into the tcl files. Your Tivo will reboot after running this script!

• Cron doesn't come with the S1 Tivo. You can download a precompiled version here.

If anyone wants to improve on this, feel free!

Last edited by jberman : 03-17-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added link to official TiVo DST fix
Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #447
jimnoblett
2012 BCS Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
I

You implied that their actions weren't ethical. The fact that their actions are lawful means unequivocally that someone can legitimately consider them ethical, so they are not objectively unethical. Which is what I said.

I won't imply that TiVo's actions are unethical, I will come right out and say that they have acted in an unethical manner. It has been seen that there is a way to fix this DST problem, they have chosen not to do so. What reasoning is behind this decision, no one outside of TiVo can say. What is clear, however, is that they have decided to no longer provide me with the service that I PAID for. I don't know how you can spin that as anything other than unethical, but I'm sure you'll try.

Last edited by jimnoblett : 03-12-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: grammar, again...
jimnoblett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #448
direfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar
You know, this is the part that irritates me more than anything else.

No matter what the reason that TiVo decided not to update the series 1 units - whether it be financial, technical, or even if they just didn't feel like it - had they said something more than 3-4 days ahead of time, someone like jberman would've been able to come up with something as a work-around with enough time before the DST changeover.

Oh, I think they have a fix, they have just decided not to pass it on to the S1 owners. If they could successfully patch the Series 1 DirecTIVo then what is the problem with the S1 TIVOs. Honestly, their attitude sickens me. I give this company at the most another 2-3 years. Soon, they will screw over the S2 and S3 DVR's. What is particularly galling is the silence after the TIVO rep lobbed the bombshell.
direfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #449
timckelley
TCFer

The TiVo reps have seagulled on us.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #450
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars
These TiVos aren't that old, how long before they call the series 3 OLD, and we don't support it, just take your money for using it each month.
The S3 was already obsolete when it launched, thanks to SDV. You want to see optimism, head over to the other forum. They think Tivo will magically create an add-on box to support SDV for the S3s! That's a huge hardware AND software change from a company that can't make a small software change to properly add an hour to the local time on both its S1 AND S2 models.

That clause everyone quotes also applies to the S3s. Thats why the $800 DVR doesn't have a lot of the features that the $80 DVR has, and never will. LOL. And people want me to spend a good chunk of money to switch?

I missed a recording today on my Tivo. The manual passes don't have the correct show name in the "Now Playing" list anymore, so when you adjust the season pass you don't know if you got it right or not until it's too late. Cosmetic issue my a$$.

And please setup a regular season pass for BBC World News on BBC America, and you'll understand why you still need manual recordings.

If I'm going to miss recordings, I might as well get the R15. At least it knows what time it is right now. And when it screws up, I call and complain and get compensation.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote