TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #391
steff3

instant cake help

Hi,
Attempting to complete the upgrade using instant cake for my HR10-250 to a single new seagate 400gb hd. Everything fine until I get to .....................now we will begin baking..... then I receive:

mount: medium not found

/etc/rc.d.S: /cdrom/ .live/bin/ptvbake: No such file or directory

What is happening? It looked as though everything was found as it should have. Problem with the download of instant cake?

Thanks
steff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:57 AM   #392
deek_man

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I have upgraded several different units for myself and a couple of friends. I now have a refurbished Hughes SD-DVR40 which I want to upgrade for a friend to two 200 GB hard drives. I've checked the machine and it seems to work properly but it has the 3.xxxxx software. My underestanding is that it has to have the 6.xxxx software in order to recognize the entire 400 GB due to the limits on the older software. I can't activate with DTV and force the new software upgrade since I'm upgrading this for a friend who lives on the other side of the country. My question is this: If I choose the option in the option list that I have less than the 6.2 software version in the weaknees interactive upgrade instructions, will the upgrade process do whatever is necessary to recognize the entire 400 GB? Or will the software have to be upgraded first. If it will not recognize the entire 400 GB, must I have the DTivo upgraded to the higher version software first and can I do that without sending the machine to my friend to activate and force the upgrade, then send it back to me to upgrade with the larger drives?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by deek_man : 09-15-2006 at 11:34 AM.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #393
albrandwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelboston
Hi- newbie question here. I am trying to upgrade my TiVo 540040 with a Seagate 300GB drive. I downloaded the newest version of PTVupgrade LBA48 Boot Disk (version 4.04) and loaded it onto my computer. It is an old AMD K6 with 256MB ram running Windows 95- I borrowed it from the trash heap at our office.

I have gone over the instructions on the PTVUpdate site and Weaknees numerous time. I have been planning on doing this for 2 months- today I took the plunge.

I took apart my TiVo and put the drives in place. I have my c: drive recognized in the hda position, the Seagate is recognized in the hdb position and the CD Rom is recognized in the hdd position. In lieu of it saying hdc it says

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

in another place it says

spurious 8259A interrupy: IRQ7.

I have moved the jumpers around a couple times to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

A newbie.
OK ... I'm not sure what your _ACTUAL_ problem is ... but you can ignore the "ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebuss=xx" ... since that is just the system telling you that the linux kernel did not recognize the IDE controller, and so is unable to use DMA transfer ... the net result is slightly slow upgrades ...

you have mentioned that:

(a) your C: drive is showing as hda
(b) your _new_ Tivo drive is showing as hdb
(c) your CD Drive is showing as hdd

are you saying that the CD is not recognizing your _old_ Tivo drive (as hdc)? Is it being seen by the BIOS during the initial POST ?

Once the machine has booted to the CD, try typing "mount" ... what does it report?

@
albrandwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #394
deek_man

Can I use a drive from one DTivo (Hughes SD-DVR40) to replace a drive in an identical unit? It could solve the problem I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for any help.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:28 PM   #395
marsbarbabe

Hello everyone,

This thread seems to be on the subject I need help on. i'm haveing a lil problem HERE

to summerise..
I have a UK spec series 1 single drive TiVo version 2.5.5. I used Hinsdales guide to upgrade it to a 250gb single drive. I need to make my TiVo see all 250gb and understand I need to change the kernel to lba48.

This CD that this thread is based about.. does it cater for my needs on a UK (only ever series1) spec TiVo?

Is there a guide on what/how to use copykern or this disc to help me out?

I've read and read and found little tit bits on UK machines but no definitive answers.

Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated.

Many Many Thanks

MBB
Old 09-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #396
steff3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3
Hi,
Attempting to complete the upgrade using instant cake for my HR10-250 to a single new seagate 400gb hd. Everything fine until I get to .....................now we will begin baking..... then I receive:

mount: medium not found

/etc/rc.d.S: /cdrom/ .live/bin/ptvbake: No such file or directory

What is happening? It looked as though everything was found as it should have. Problem with the download of instant cake?

Thanks
Oops, my bad, had the HD connected to the wrong IDE ribbon and forgot to disconnect the other two cd/dvd drives. Once I woke up and connected properly, all went smooth!
steff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #397
heatzeker

Has anyone tried the Knoppix Linux disk image?
heatzeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #398
azitnay

It should work fine, but you'd have to obtain the mfstool binary yourself... Much easier to just use this CD with mfstool built in.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #399
jbch

Does someone have a link to a 2.4.18 kernel thats been patched for lba 48 support. Need the old kernel for a 4.x software to monte to. Its preferred that it be pretty standard without other hacks, but I will try any that are provided.

Thanks.
jbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #400
JerryZ

Attempting to do an upgrade. Is anyone available for some help? Either phone, email or PM?
Many thanks
Jerry
JerryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:41 PM   #401
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

new lba48 boot CD location

With the new site launch, we've moved some things around (and some things have broken).

Here is the new location of the free lba48 CD; feel free to refer to it in your guides/posts.

Please do not redistribute the ISO or link directly to the file, as its likely to create confusion - especially when we update the CD, or change its location.

Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #402
sleepeeg3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardVa
Does the free PTVupgrade LBA48 4.04 cd include a virgin 3.1.5 keneral?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Only Series1 kernels on the free CD...
How do you access these then? I am unable to use copykern, because it does not have support past drive "hdg" and when I run the command:
Code:
tpip -s -o /mnt /kernel.orig -k /cdrom/s1_kernels/kernel-3.0/vmlinux-3.0.px /dev/hdj
"vmlinux-3.0.px" can not be found. Changing to the s1_kernels directory and running "ls" or "dir" shows no subdirectories. I think there was just the kernel.orig file listed.

Assumed this was because the drive is not mounted, but mountcd and oodles of other commands will not mount the CD. I see an "@CDROM" directory so maybe it is mounted...

What do I need to do?

Edit: I found the vmlinux-3.0.px package is compressed, by looking at the CD in Windows. Does copykern uncompress is onto the source TiVo disk or can Linux store the output in RAM?

Tried to use a floppy drive and I get an "error writing kernel.orig ...Success!" (surprise!)

Last edited by sleepeeg3 : 12-01-2006 at 01:19 PM.
sleepeeg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #403
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepeeg3
How do you access these then? I am unable to use copykern, because it does not have support past drive "hdg" and when I run the command:
Code:
tpip -s -o /mnt /kernel.orig -k /cdrom/s1_kernels/kernel-3.0/vmlinux-3.0.px /dev/hdj
"vmlinux-3.0.px" can not be found. Changing to the s1_kernels directory and running "ls" or "dir" shows no subdirectories. I think there was just the kernel.orig file listed.

Assumed this was because the drive is not mounted, but mountcd and oodles of other commands will not mount the CD. I see an "@CDROM" directory so maybe it is mounted...

What do I need to do?

Edit: I found the vmlinux-3.0.px package is compressed, by looking at the CD in Windows. Does copykern uncompress is onto the source TiVo disk or can Linux store the output in RAM?

Tried to use a floppy drive and I get an "error writing kernel.orig ...Success!" (surprise!)
What is the device label for your CD-ROM?

If its /dev/hdg, for example, then try

mount /dev/hdg /cdrom

And you should then be able to see the files...

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #404
sleepeeg3

It was hdi, but I believe I tried that. Oh well, I will probably never delve into a Linux command prompt again.

I happened to be installing a new motherboard, without the problem of the first 8 channels being used and the cdrom/drive device ids changed to hda / hdb respectively. Ran copykern and it worked fine. Thanks tivoupgrade man!

The rest of you - buy instantcake.
sleepeeg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #405
bob2112

Need Help with mfsbackup command. Thanks

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me out. I've been working on this for 10hrs or more and have not gotten anywhere with the msfbackup command.
I have a Tivo 2 Series 40GB HD Life Time
I use the boot disk with the mfstools 2.0 on it and come to the #
My hard drive setup is....
Prim Master: hda1 (80GB C drive Fat32)
Prim Slave : hdb1 (120GB Replacement Tivo HD Fat32)
Sec. Master: hdc1 (40GB Tivo HD)
Sec. Slave :hdd(cd-rom)

All disk show correct size. i.e. all are unlocked and master and slave pins are setup correctly on HDs and ribbins setup correctly too. i.e. Prim/Sec Master on end of ribbin etc. BIOS setup to auto detect HDs.
Also, for some reason I cannot mount hda1 or c: drive. It's FAT32x and so are the other ones which I can mount.

I start with...
mkdir /dev/hdb1 /mnt/target
mkdir /dev/hdc1 /mnt/source
# mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/target
# mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/source
#mfsbackup_-f_9999_-6so_/mnt/target/tivo2.bak_/dev/hdc1

I then get an error input/output error
Underscore"_" means a space between. It's sometimes hard to tell if there is or is not so this makes it easyer for me and others.

Could you please give me the commands step by step so I can make an image of my Tivo2 so I may restore it on to a larger hard drive. I hope I'm just missing something really easy.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Sincerely,
bob2112
bob2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:17 AM   #406
MungoJerrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2112
mkdir /dev/hdb1 /mnt/target
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/target
mfsbackup_-f_9999_-6so_/mnt/target/tivo2.bak_/dev/hdc
Deleted some unnecessaries; what you were really missing is you backup (and restore for that matter) an entire device (/dev/hdc) as opposed to a partition. Have you read the Hinsdale howto (google it); lot of good info there...
MungoJerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #407
fozzir

Arrow Removed Second Drive, stuck on boot up

I have a Series 1 standalone. I tried to re-initalize the singe drive after I removed the second one. I even redid copykern. Any ideas? Another option I have is put in a smaller second drive (80g from 250g) but not sure what commands to use. I built this using instantcake (which I don't have anymore because all 3 of my backups are jacked up).
Thanks,
Scott

PS, the original second drive went into another Tivo. (I have 3)

Last edited by fozzir : 12-11-2006 at 07:03 AM.
fozzir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #408
mj1856

Question HR10-250 upgrade success but not showing all new space

Hi. Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can't find it.

I have a HR10-250 that I upgraded using the lba48 cd and mfsadd with the +x and +r 4 options. The upgrade was successfull and reported 655 hours now available.

However, when I put them back in the tivo, the system info screen only shows 477 SD hours. This is a new 300gb drive added to the existing 250gb.

What happened to the rest of the space? I saw some stuff about kernel swapping, but I thought that was on series 1's only? Shouldn't the 10-250 see the whole 655 hours?

I put them back in the pc and checked with mfsinfo, and it still shows 655.

What am I missing??

Thanks!
mj1856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #409
spike2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1856
Hi. Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can't find it.

I have a HR10-250 that I upgraded using the lba48 cd and mfsadd with the +x and +r 4 options. The upgrade was successfull and reported 655 hours now available.

However, when I put them back in the tivo, the system info screen only shows 477 SD hours. This is a new 300gb drive added to the existing 250gb.

What happened to the rest of the space? I saw some stuff about kernel swapping, but I thought that was on series 1's only? Shouldn't the 10-250 see the whole 655 hours?

I put them back in the pc and checked with mfsinfo, and it still shows 655.

What am I missing??

Thanks!
Hours reported using mfstools is an estimate for Standalone TiVo. Actual hours for dtv tivo you reported sounds right.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #410
davidk

Question

If I am using copykern to replace the my non-LBA48 kernel (that came with my 3.5b software last night) with the 3.10+ kernel on this CD, do I need to expand my swap again by using the -s option?

Thanks,
David
davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #411
ISWIZ
Southern Yankee

I made an ISO from the V4.04 as reccomended. Never found copykern, instead it redid my drive, wiping out Tivo 3.5, now back t 3.1 again and lost what programs I had. At the # prompt I tyed in copykern but it would not take the command.

1. Where did I screw it up?
2. I am going to let it load 3.5 again but know I will have the same issue.. any help out there?

DTV R15
Hughes Direct Tivo Combo @ 107hrs
ISWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #412
rob.williams

I'm having a problem with the LBA48 kernel replacement. Maybe someone can help.

1) This morning, I watched a program, and when I deleted it, the GXCEB0T rebooted. When it completed rebooting, I checked the software revision, and I had 3.5b installed.
2) When I went to the "Now Playing" list, the TiVo rebooted again, so I went online and found that the new software update probably replaced my kernel with a non-LBA48 version.
3) I downloaded the V4.04 ISO and burnt a CD. I used "copykern" to replace my kernel with 3.1
4) I installed the drives back into the TiVo, and after rebooting, I could see my recordings (I played a recent one), but I could not download satellite data (my account was listed as CLOSED in the information screen). I re-ran guided setup, and was able to get info from the satellite, and my account was back in good standing. I could watch live TV, but when I went to the "Now Playing" screen, the TiVo rebooted again. The software was still listed as 3.5b
5) I tried to reinstall the LBA48 kernel. I noticed that the CDROM did not mount, so the new kernel was not being found. I had not updated the kernel as I thought.
6) I mounted the CD drive, and installed the new kernel properly.
7) I reinstalled the drive in the TiVo, and now I'm stuck at the "Welcome. Powering up..." screen.

I double checked the drive jumpers, and they are correct. I have a 40GB main drive, and an 160GB second drive installed. I used the InstantCake CD two months ago to build this system.

Am I hosed?

**Update - as I was typing this, the TiVo booted. I still have 3.5b listed, and when I go into the Now Playing list, the TiVo reboots still. Any suggestions?

Last edited by rob.williams : 03-10-2007 at 10:13 PM.
rob.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #413
michaelrj9

Lost most programs after DST update ON series 1 Directv Tivo

I posted this in the undergroung playground but was giving a like to here so I reposted it here. Sorry

I have a series 1 Directv tivo model GXCEBOTD that I upgraded the hard drive to a single 400gb drive using the PTVupgrade TiVo Upgrade CD a bout 6 months ago or so and everything was working great.

I updated the software that Directv came out with for for the Day light savings time update.
The software before the DST update was 3.5.01-1-031
After the update it is now 3.5B.01-1-031 THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE "B"
Now almost all my programs are gone. when I select it they say: Error play a recording. The recorder was not able to record this program because there was no video signal on the channel. You may have been trying to record on a channel that you don't receive.

What would be the best way to try to save the programs and get it back working again If any.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Michael
michaelrj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #414
davidk

Michaelrj9, my DSR6000 had the same error after the 3.5b update. From what I understand, until you replace the non-LBA48 kernel, the longer you use your tivo after the upgrade, the more programs you will lose. Once I replaced my kernel with the LBA48 kernel from the v4.04 cd (I used the 3.10+ kernel), all but two of my programs were viewable again.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #415
michaelrj9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk
Michaelrj9, my DSR6000 had the same error after the 3.5b update. From what I understand, until you replace the non-LBA48 kernel, the longer you use your tivo after the upgrade, the more programs you will lose. Once I replaced my kernel with the LBA48 kernel from the v4.04 cd (I used the 3.10+ kernel), all but two of my programs were viewable again.
Thanks

So just use the copykern then it should work?

Edit:

I Just tried copykern with the same results.

Last edited by michaelrj9 : 03-11-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #416
davidk

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrj9
Thanks

So just use the copykern then it should work?

Edit:

I Just tried copykern with the same results.
A couple of questions:

How long did you continue to leave the tivo plugged in after the upgrade? That could have a direct effect on how many programs can be saved.

When you used copykern, are you sure that copykern actually copied over 3.10+? Some users have reported that the cdrom was not mounted and therefore copykern could not find the new kernel.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #417
spiffy

It's not just copykern, is it? According to PTVupgrade's first post, "Also note that you will need to use killinitrd to zap the new initrd." Is that a necessary step as well?
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #418
michaelrj9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy
It's not just copykern, is it? According to PTVupgrade's first post, "Also note that you will need to use killinitrd to zap the new initrd." Is that a necessary step as well?
I seen that too but if you go to the website that has killinitrd it says for series 2 tivo's and I have a series 1.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #419
davidk

Quote:
I seen that too but if you go to the website that has killinitrd it says for series 2 tivo's and I have a series 1.
Yes, I believe you need to use killinitrd. In addition to using the 3.10+ kernel, I also had to reinstall my cachecard drivers so I zapped the new initrd while running nic_config from the Silicondust driver boot cd.

From the top of this page http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=297372:
Quote:
update: 5/12/2006 - 7:31CDT

New Release of the LBA48 CD (ver 4.04) includes a revised copykern and a recompiled kernel (labeled 3.10+) in the s1_kernels directory. We have done preliminary testing with this kernel in conjunction with version 3.5 of the Series1 DirecTV TiVo release and early tests are encouraging. If you have built LBA48 drives which are spuriously rebooting, or contain content that is not accessible through the "Now Playing" list, we encourage you to use copykern to transplant this newly updated kernel. Also note that you will need to use killinitrd to zap the new initrd (or use nic_config in the silicondust network driver release to achieve the same result).

Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #420
spiffy

Quote:
Um, which web site are you referring to?
spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote