TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #2311
TripFoeYa

Anyone else experiencing TNT HD with always saying "To Be Announced" as the title and " No Information Available" as the description?

I called Tivo and they said it wasn't a Comcast issue and that 8.1.1 would fix it. Well that did not happen.

I just want to know if I am the only one with this issue and if not if any steps were taken to correct the issue.

Thanks
TripFoeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #2312
Gregor

Comcast fixed the cable card issue on my S3 today. Cable card 1 would only get basic cable and cable card 2 got all the channels I subscribe to.

Card 1 was showing "Missing_Program_Rekey" on cable card 1 and "Subscribed" on cable card 2 on the conditional access screen.

They sent a "Maintenance" hit to CC1 which shuts down the card and re-initializes it. This generated a 161-4 error which we cleared, and then the card started working after a few moments.

Unfortunately a subscriber can't ask for this hit, it has to come from rolling the truck. It took 3 truck rolls to get the cards installed and working after my replacement S3 was delivered.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:56 AM   #2313
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripFoeYa
Anyone else experiencing TNT HD with always saying "To Be Announced" as the title and " No Information Available" as the description?

I called Tivo and they said it wasn't a Comcast issue and that 8.1.1 would fix it. Well that did not happen.

I just want to know if I am the only one with this issue and if not if any steps were taken to correct the issue.

Thanks
You might try filing a program guide problem with Tivo. It seems to be more that than anything.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/LineUpForm.aspx

Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #2314
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Comcast fixed the cable card issue on my S3 today. Cable card 1 would only get basic cable and cable card 2 got all the channels I subscribe to.

Card 1 was showing "Missing_Program_Rekey" on cable card 1 and "Subscribed" on cable card 2 on the conditional access screen.

They sent a "Maintenance" hit to CC1 which shuts down the card and re-initializes it. This generated a 161-4 error which we cleared, and then the card started working after a few moments.

Unfortunately a subscriber can't ask for this hit, it has to come from rolling the truck.
When I had a card in that state, I managed to get them to send an "Initialize" hit by calling CS and being insistent that I needed that particular kind of hit. Don't know if that is the same as a "Maintenance" hit. Obviously, with Comcast, YMMV The CSR did say that they usually aren't allowed to send that kind of hit, so I don't know why they did it for me.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #2315
rcr2
It's you, not me.

I got a call from my local Board of Public Utilities to ask me about the complaint I filed a month ago. He said Comcast said it was being addressed and asked me to confirm. I told him that they did deliver the cards, and I was working on other issues with them. He didn't give me any other procedure for following up or anything, though.

As for the rest of my experience.. I think I got too positive too soon.

The woman who contacted me about my telephony modem charges, and to make sure the cable cards got installed OK hasn't called me back again to update me on the modem charges.

I got a call from some woman "From the Executive Office." She called from her cell phone and left me a message, sounding a bit annoyed that she had to make the call. I have called her back and left two messages saying I got her message and she should call me back. Nothing, coming up on a week now. I have to believe this is in response to my letter blitz to the CEO and his staff. Thing is - if she talked to me last week, I probably would have let her off easy.

Now, she hasn't returned my calls, my Cable Cards are going "CP Fail" pretty much every day, requiring a reboot of the TiVo (and missed recordings) and this is someone representing the executives? And I was home all last week, which would have made things easier as opposed to trying to deal with this from work now.

Oh, joy. I feel another letter coming on end of this week.
rcr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #2316
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH
When I had a card in that state, I managed to get them to send an "Initialize" hit by calling CS and being insistent that I needed that particular kind of hit. Don't know if that is the same as a "Maintenance" hit. Obviously, with Comcast, YMMV The CSR did say that they usually aren't allowed to send that kind of hit, so I don't know why they did it for me.
That sounds consistent with what I was told. CSRs can send a 'little' hit as the onsite tech described it but the 'big' or 'maintenance' hit can only be sent by at the request of the onsite tech.

I'm sure there's different terminology going around on the different headends.

My experience with the 1st Tivo was once it worked it was rock-solid. This one has been more problematic, and I believe it was due to the backend not setup correctly. The onsite tech said they very rarely do Cable Cards and this was only the second Tivo he'd seen. The other two techs said it was the first one they'd seen in the area.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #2317
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie
why do they charge so diff..? i dont get it...
I have no clue. My cable cards were free and I have no additional outlet charge, which goes against everything I was told.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #2318
karmamule

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmamule
I finally made the leap and ordered my Series 3, and it should be arriving Monday. After wading through about half of the posts in this thread I was interested to see what Comcast would say to me. (FYI, I live in Waltham MA, just outside of Boston).

I gave them a call and I first asked if I could pick up and install myself, or was a visit necessary. She put me on hold to find out, and said a visit was required.

She then said the cards would be $2.75/mo each. I mentioned the Comcast FAQ page on pricing, and she then put me on hold again, and after a few minutes came back and said that was 2006 pricing and hadn't been updated yet.

Given that this is replacing a second Moto HD PVR that we're currently paying $17/mo for (we're well beyond any promo period for reduced rates), I can live with that. They set up an appointment for this Tuesday the 6th, and I'll let you all know how it turns out..... Wish me luck!

-Eddie
Just to follow up...so far my luck is holding out! My Comcast installer showed up a bit early (after calling first...), and while he hadn't done a Series 3 install before he was good about reading through the TiVo sheet. The bulk of the visit was just him reading all the related cable cards numbers to one guy, getting transferred to someone else, waiting on hold for about 15 minutes, then reading all the numbers again to someone else.

The second guy he got on the phone was familiar with Series 3s, and warned us we'd see the 161-4 error (which we did), but not to worry. We then tested and got all the channels, so at least it looks like both my cable cards are good. (At least for now). This is a good thing, because they were the only two he had!

I'll cross my fingers that things KEEP working over the next few weeks, but at least right now it seems I've got the initial set up done without a hitch...

Thanks again for everyone and all the great info here to help make things as smooth as possible! Now to dive in, set up my season passes, rate some shows, and bask in the joy of being back in TiVo heaven after a year and a half of Motorola PVR hell...

-Eddie
karmamule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #2319
rich_t

Well, I had both CableCards working after third Comcast visit last Thursday. When I turned it on tonight, it displayed the message that CableCard1 and 2 were doing a firmware update as "required by your cable provider. This may take up to 40 minutes. While the upgrade is in progress, you will not be able to watch or record live TV." This message has been on screen for about two hours that I know of. Has any one else had this problem?
rich_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #2320
ChrisNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_t
Well, I had both CableCards working after third Comcast visit last Thursday. When I turned it on tonight, it displayed the message that CableCard1 and 2 were doing a firmware update as "required by your cable provider. This may take up to 40 minutes. While the upgrade is in progress, you will not be able to watch or record live TV." This message has been on screen for about two hours that I know of. Has any one else had this problem?
Where are you located? There are a few people in South Jersey who are getting this message today. See the thread titled "Firmware Update? (Comcast Cablecard)"
ChrisNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #2321
rich_t

Located in Erial, Nj. Any idea of the outcome?
rich_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #2322
ChrisNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_t
Located in Erial, Nj. Any idea of the outcome?
Seems to be working now. It was on the "updating firmware" screen for a few hours last night but when I turned it on this morning the message was gone and I was able to flip through the channels.
ChrisNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #2323
KevinG

Yeah, it seems to take MUCH longer than 40 minutes. But ended up being fine.
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #2324
PressureDrop

My wife loves, LOVES TV and TiVo. We currently have two Toshiba DVD players with integrated TiVo series2. The cable boxes have been funny on changing the channels sometimes here lately and I am a big time "gotta have the newest toy" sort of guy - So I ordered a 300-hr TiVo Series3 HD for my wife's birthday (which is this Sunday) and it should be arriving today via UPS Once it gets here, installed, and setup we will likely be ditching one of the two Toshiba units (and the Comcast set top box too!).

I just got off the phone with a very nice and helpful man at 404-COMCAST and he has an appointment scheduled for tomorrow for a tech to come out and install two cable cards!

The pricing I was given is an installation charge ($16?) and the first card is free, second card is 5.99 - HD will be on both. So it looks like I will be paying $16 and then an extra $6 per month for dual tuner HD TiVo heaven

Once all is installed, setup, and working I will re-post with an update (hopefully no horror story but this IS a cable company ).

Stay tuned
-Zac-
PressureDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #2325
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Who's in Monmouth County with Comcast? Did you get SA Cable Cards, or Motorola?

Apparently, the channel dropping issue is limited to SA cards, so if Monmouth County has Motorola cards, I'll know I can call the tech and ask them to get me some non-SA cards.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #2326
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr2

Apparently, the channel dropping issue is limited to SA cards, so if Monmouth County has Motorola cards, I'll know I can call the tech and ask them to get me some non-SA cards.
If you have a set-top box you can tell what kind of cards you'll get.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #2327
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Comcast of Monmouth County uses Scientific Atlanta equipment; I suppose there could possible be Motorola head-ends in existence within the system, but everyone I've seen so far in this area always has Scientific Atlanta equipment.

You'll have one or the other; they're not compatible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #2328
rcr2
It's you, not me.

So, Doug Swallow - are you experiencing the channel drop-out issue?

I'm rebooting daily to fix it, and it's getting old quickly.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #2329
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
So, Doug Swallow - are you experiencing the channel drop-out issue?

I'm rebooting daily to fix it, and it's getting old quickly.
My CableCARD 1 has been deciding to issue authorization failures every couple of days that are fixed by a reboot, though until I reboot it gets channels 2-23 fine and I'm pretty sure everything is digital simulcast; CableCARD 2 has never had a problem once. I've been trying to document things so when I call my Comcast contact I have a bit more to offer in terms of detail. I'll probably call him tomorrow. I've been a bit busy with different things and hadn't wanted to deal with a truck roll just yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #2330
Mike in NJ

My attempted install (Union County, NJ):

Comcast Tech arrived with two brand new cards. He said not to have high hopes as "Tivo installs almost never work". Popped card first card into slot 1, immediately got a 161-4. I cleared it, and it came back again and again and again. No MMI screen. After 10 minutes, popped the card out and tried the second one in slot 1. Same behavior. Popped the first card into slot 2 (both slots filled now) and same behavior. Repeating 161-4 errors and no MMI.

Tech said that they couldn't activate the cards without the info from the MMI screen so we were stuck. He reluctantly left cards with me and said he'd be back at the end of the day to get them. He said the cards were brand new and that something must be wrong with the unit.

I called Tivo and after 30 minutes of reboots, card removals and insertions, etc. was told that the problem had to be the cards and that I would need to get the cable company to send me some new ones.

Going to leave the cards in the unit for a couple of hours to see what happens. If I can't get an MMI screen for at least one of the cards by the end of the day, I'm returning the S3. This is too hard.
Mike in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #2331
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NJ

Comcast Tech arrived with two brand new cards. He said not to have high hopes as "Tivo installs almost never work". Popped card first card into slot 1, immediately got a 161-4. I cleared it, and it came back again and again and again. No MMI screen. After 10 minutes, popped the card out and tried the second one in slot 1. Same behavior. Popped the first card into slot 2 (both slots filled now) and same behavior. Repeating 161-4 errors and no MMI.

Tech said that they couldn't activate the cards without the info from the MMI screen so we were stuck. He reluctantly left cards with me and said he'd be back at the end of the day to get them. He said the cards were brand new and that something must be wrong with the unit.

I called Tivo and after 30 minutes of reboots, card removals and insertions, etc. was told that the problem had to be the cards and that I would need to get the cable company to send me some new ones.

Going to leave the cards in the unit for a couple of hours to see what happens. If I can't get an MMI screen for at least one of the cards by the end of the day, I'm returning the S3. This is too hard.
It's probably not your Tivo.

As I understand it, the MMI info is echoed back from the conditional access system.

I would put one card in and leave it in to see if it comes up.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #2332
bbock727

Ive been getting CP failure the past few days also. Reboots fix the problem, but it keeps screwing up recordings and its getting pretty damn frustrating!
bbock727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 AM   #2333
Mike in NJ

Quote:

... Repeating 161-4 errors and no MMI.

(Comcast) Tech said ... cards were brand new and that something must be wrong with the unit

I called Tivo and ... was told that the problem had to be the cards and that I would need to get the cable company to send me some new ones.
When tech arrived to retrieve the cards I asked what I needed to do to get two more cards to try. I also asked him whether there was any way he could test cards before bringing them. He said he would look into that.

The tech called me later and told me that he had found a TV with a cablecard slot at the office, and that neither of the cards I had returned to him were working. He said he had gotten two more cards from the warehouse and had verified that they were functional, and that he's be bringing them by my house today and leaving them in the mailbox. I guess I'll see how they work this evening.

I suspect the problem may be related to the card firmware updates that seem to be happening elsewhere in NJ. A Tivo customer support page (search for MMI) indicates that a lack of an MMI screen could indicate that the cable company may be updating the CC firmware, and that removing the card in this situation could permanently damage the card. Since these cards are known to be working, if I don't get an MMI screen with the first new card this evening I will leave it in the slot for a day and see if anything eventually happens.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #2334
PressureDrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureDrop
Once all is installed, setup, and working I will re-post with an update (hopefully no horror story but this IS a cable company )
So this morning Wendell called to confirm his appointment to come today he then stated that he was on his way and arrived just before the start of the appointment window! Great start to the day
After wrestling with the first card for almost an hour it finally did its thing and the TiVo then asked to repeat the guided setup but he did not know that it needed to be done so the first card got a couple phone calls and was removed and re-inserted then it prompted for the guided setup again and this time I was sitting on the couch and said "lets do that" so it took about 15 minutes and then worked fine! All channels (and MAN do I love the HDTV 16:9 stuff!) working as they should (finally - It only took an hour for the card to start getting all channels).

Card2: Multiple failures and they all said 161-1 so he finally got someone to bring him some more cards and when the other person arrived it turned out to be his supervisor (Joshua) who was also very nice and had some "secret" phone numbers to call to get the 2nd card activated. Once activated we tested the channels and they worked (all 950 of them ) and I was given the paper to sign and then they left.

I feel bad that the poor guy had to waste 3+ hours of his day on a simple dual cable card install but at least he wasn't having to sit on a ladder or sweat so I guess that's as good as a crap day for an installer can get. I initially had a bad attitude at paying $17 for a 'simple' two card install but after sitting here with the guy for thee and a half hours I feel I got my monies worth!

I am doing the last guided setup as I type this and as soon as its complete organizing program info then I will have for sure 100% confirmation that all is well and my wife's birthday present is working as it should
Old 03-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #2335
PressureDrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureDrop
I am doing the last guided setup as I type this and as soon as its complete organizing program info then I will have for sure 100% confirmation that all is well and my wife's birthday present is working as it should
AWESOME! I love this thing. I don't even mind that it took 3+ hours for the tech to get it working - Its worth it.

I had to test it out by recording two things while watching the TiVo videos that come on it - Perfection.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #2336
rcr2
It's you, not me.

Amazing.

So, I wrote a formal letter to the Comcast executives. I get this woman, Cory Branch, who leaves me a voice mail from her cell phone (I can barely understand her name and half of what she says).

I call her back and leave a message that day.

No call, so I call and leave a second message.

No call.

So, now, two weeks later (on March 7), I get a letter in the mail stating that "Since attempted calls have shown the number you provided to be disconnected, we will close this issue if we don't hear from you by March 7."

So, what do I do? Call her number again.

Two days later? No call.

Now, claiming my number to be disconnected is indigenous for the simple fact that I have Comcast as my phone service.

But I offer this up as a perfect example of why we all are so frustrated with Comcast.

And this is supposed to be someone looking after the Executive Office.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #2337
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Amazing.

So, I wrote a formal letter to the Comcast executives. I get this woman, Cory Branch, who leaves me a voice mail from her cell phone (I can barely understand her name and half of what she says).

I call her back and leave a message that day.

No call, so I call and leave a second message.

No call.

So, now, two weeks later (on March 7), I get a letter in the mail stating that "Since attempted calls have shown the number you provided to be disconnected, we will close this issue if we don't hear from you by March 7."

So, what do I do? Call her number again.

Two days later? No call.

Now, claiming my number to be disconnected is indigenous for the simple fact that I have Comcast as my phone service.

But I offer this up as a perfect example of why we all are so frustrated with Comcast.

And this is supposed to be someone looking after the Executive Office.
Wow. That's freakin hilarious, in a really sick, devious way.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #2338
ac3dd

A CableCard success story here (at least until I see the bill).

I called Comcast about two weeks ago to set up the appointment. Today was the earliest appointment they could give me (compared to a 2-day wait when I was getting one of their DVRs several months ago). The lady on the phone was a bit confused as to why I wanted two cards, but she agreed to set up the appointment for the 2 cards (apparently she hadn't heard of TiVo, or at least not the CableCard-enabled TiVo).

The tech had never done a TiVo-CableCard install before, and he said CableCards are not compatible with TiVo. I insisted that there are people with CableCards working in their TiVo and turned it around and showed him the CableCard slots. So he said OK, let's try it. He proceeded to put the card in the top slot (number 2), and I pointed out to him in the instructions that the bottom slot should be used first.

He called in the numbers for the cards, I went through the Tivo CableCard screens, and bingo the first card is working. Second card didn't work though. He called in again, rinse repeat, and it worked. All done in less than 15 minutes. He took back the Comcast DVR when he was leaving. After he left, I redid the guided setup.

The lady on the phone said there was no monthly fee for the cards, but I'll only believe that when I see the bill. If it is too high I'll drop a premium channel, or perhaps tell them to take back the cards altogether.
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #2339
Gregor

Depends on your location. I didn't get charged for the cards.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #2340
Mike in NJ

Quote:
The tech called me later and told me that he had found a TV with a cablecard slot at the office, and that neither of the cards I had returned to him were working. He said he had gotten two more cards from the warehouse and had verified that they were functional, and that he's be bringing them by my house today and leaving them in the mailbox. I guess I'll see how they work this evening.
The cards worked, but what an ordeal to get Comcast to activate them. It took 3 separate calls - over 1 hour each - to get someone to finally transfer me to "dispatch" who has the ability to activate the cards. Twenty minutes later, both cards were working perfectly.