TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #331
JonInVA
1080 or bust

Good to go in Ashburn, VA

Around 6pm EST Sunday night I checked on my National HD channels... and I'm happy to report that I'm now receiving everything as expected. Somebody at Verizon must have worked on my support ticket Sunday afternoon, as I've yet to receive the "follow-up" phone call.

My installation metrics:

Requested CableCARD install: Fri, Feb 23rd
Appointment window granted: Fri, Mar 2nd between 1-5pm
Installers arrived: Fri, Mar 2nd at 1:30pm
Installers departed: Fri, Mar 2nd at 2:30pm

It took another two phone calls to the Fiber Solutions Center, one to the Encore Center, and roughly 48 more hours before I started receiving all of my HD channels.

You can now consider me a pretty happy Verizon FIOS customer / TiVo S3 owner. On my HD channels I see a lot of 100% signal strength, so if I notice any significant pixellation I'll try the signal attenuation fix.

My only word of caution? At no time did I ever mention TiVo during any of my tech support calls. I simply said "I just had two CableCARDs installed and I'm not receiving all of my HD channels on either card." There's really no reason for them to know that they're both plugged into a TiVo S3.

Last edited by JonInVA : 03-05-2007 at 09:15 AM.
JonInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #332
kas25

I just got the S3 and the cablecards arrive Friday. My question is if I want to keep a basic Verizon box for on-demand, I will need two lines. Is there a simple splitter I can use to split the current line into two or does Verizon have to run another line?
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #333
JonInVA
1080 or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas25
Is there a simple splitter I can use to split the current line into two or does Verizon have to run another line?
Absolutely. I've actually got a central COAX distribution point in my house, which acts as my primary splitter from the FIOS ONT. A patch the distribution point feeds my S3, while a second patch feeds my S2 DT.

For the S2 DT, I've got a second splitter after the coax comes out of the wall... one side feeds the S2 DT directly (for analog basic), the other feeds a standard Motorola FIOS STB which the S2 commands via serial cable (for digital channels). That way the S2 DT can record two programs at once... so long as one of the programs is coming from analog basic.

Even with those two splits, signal strength is great. You just need to make sure the splitter is rated for a "wideband" digital cable signal... there are probably a bunch of posts around recommending a few good ones.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #334
kas25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInVA
Absolutely. I've actually got a central COAX distribution point in my house, which acts as my primary splitter from the FIOS ONT. A patch the distribution point feeds my S3, while a second patch feeds my S2 DT.

For the S2 DT, I've got a second splitter after the coax comes out of the wall... one side feeds the S2 DT directly (for analog basic), the other feeds a standard Motorola FIOS STB which the S2 commands via serial cable (for digital channels). That way the S2 DT can record two programs at once... so long as one of the programs is coming from analog basic.

Even with those two splits, signal strength is great.
Good news. Just a simple coax splitter will do?
kas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #335
Diesel

Anyone else seen an issue like this?

Installer came out today and installed both cards. It was his first cablecard job so he wasn't sure what to do initially. After fiddling around and finally getting the correct serial numbers input, CableCard 2 came up fine, but CableCard 1 either didn't show a picture or was just pixel static. The wierd thing was that it could still pull the channel information...just not the picture.

After a few tries of de-activating and re-activating, he was out of ideas. I suggested swapping card 1 and card 2. After doing this, neither card came up and it made us both nervous so we switched them back to their original slots. Well now....CableCard 1 and 2 were BOTH up.

Everything was great, we figured maybe it just wasn't fully seated or something and so he packed up and left. 10 minutes later, CableCard 1 was malfunctioning again. Not sure what else to try before I call them and bring a tech out again.

I'm nervous too that in the meantime, my scheduled recordings are going to default to Card 1 and just record garbage.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #336
hmelman

I'm in Newton, MA. I've had a Series 3 on Comcast for 4 months working fine. Yesterday, I switched to FIOS TV. They brought two cable cards and both installed fine. I tested a couple of channels (a low one, a digital cable one and an HD one) and all looked fine. I went through Guided Setup and all was well. I was impressed that my season passes were remembered and remapped to the new channel numbers (I thought I'd have to reenter them).

Then I went to CNN (80) and had some bad pixelation. CNNH (81) had the same problem. I went throught all the channels and found 8 that gave me problems. The other six were: 51 TNT, 52 TBS, 60 ESPN, 64 ESPN2, 163 COURT, 227 TOON. Checking the TiVo diagnostics they were all at frequency 447,000kHz and had difficulty locking in the channel. Signal Strength bounced around. All other channels are fine. I can view these problem channels on the other TV with a Verizon (motorola) set-top box just fine. I saw this thread and tried a 6db inline attenuator (from a local electronics store for $4, neither Radio Shack nor Home Depot carries them) and no help. I'm running 8.1.1.

I called FIOS, they tested the line remotely and saw no problems. They reinitialed the cable card, no change. He took the list of failing channels from me. I talked to FIOS several times last night and different FIOS people said different things about TiVo. One said they didn't support it, I said it was a cable card device it should be no problem. Their solution was to schedule someone to come out and check the line. I decided to delay that (I've been through 2 full days of FIOS installation).

I called TiVo. His view was that since the Series 3 previously worked with comcast it must be a FIOS problem. I said that since the Verizon set-top box is working fine Verizon will say it's the TiVo's fault. He got fairly defensive that he didn't say it was definately a Verizon problem. I tried to suggest that it could be a grey area in the spec and just be a technical issue between the two vendors and asked him to check a problem database to see if there was any info but I don't think he did. All in all, he wasn't helpful.

I called FIOS and scheduled a service call for the next day. I think the pixelation got worse as the evening progressed. This morning I turned on the problem channels and they work no problem. I've tried different problem channels on different tuners and they work. I've had the verizon set-top box connected to the other TV on one of the problem channels and not, and no difference.

I suspect that there was a problem with their transmission at that frequency that the TiVo is susceptable to. The FIOS tech guy that took the channel numbers probably had someone look into it and they corrected something. The frustrating part (as a software engineer) is there's no way to know. Does anyone know enough about this to know what could or could not affect a particular frequency? Could it be the cables? The FIOS install used all their own splitters. Could be it the cable card (or would that affect all channels similarly)? Is it likely the signal generated at the ONT or from the FIOS area distribution?
hmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #337
flipit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmelman
I'm in Newton, MA...

Then I went to CNN (80) and had some bad pixelation. ...I can view these problem channels on the other TV with a Verizon (motorola) set-top box just fine.

I'm in Richmond, VA, and have had FiOS since early January. Last night, for the first time ever, I had bad pixelation on most of the HD channels. A signal test showed that the signal strength was cycling pretty rapidly between 0 and 90+. No problem with the signal through the FiOS STB.

Didn't check this morning before work, but I'm hoping it was a temporary transmission problem.
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #338
JonInVA
1080 or bust

Quote:
I talked to FIOS several times last night and different FIOS people said different things about TiVo. One said they didn't support it, I said it was a cable card device it should be no problem.
The few times I've had to call Verizon to troubleshoot my CableCARDs, I didn't even mention that I had a TiVo. That way I didn't have to listen to any moronic "Hey Bill! I got another guy with a TiVo on hold, do we even officially support those?" I just said "neither one of my two CableCARD are currently receiving channels XYZ." It kept me from wanting to strangle someone.

Quote:
I suspect that there was a problem with their transmission at that frequency that the TiVo is susceptable to. The FIOS tech guy that took the channel numbers probably had someone look into it and they corrected something. The frustrating part (as a software engineer) is there's no way to know. Does anyone know enough about this to know what could or could not affect a particular frequency? Could it be the cables? The FIOS install used all their own splitters. Could be it the cable card (or would that affect all channels similarly)? Is it likely the signal generated at the ONT or from the FIOS area distribution?
My original FIOS installer explained to me that the signal being sent over the COAX is physically generated by the ONT. This is why FIOS TV customers usually have very strong digital cable signals. Sounds to me like your problem might be a bad splitter, too many splits, a bad run of COAX, or a loose connection. My S3, for example, is only one split downstream from the ONT feed, and my signal strength is usually between 98-100 on every digital channel.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 AM   #339
TexasAg

You know, I think all of the channels I had problems with pixelization were also in the 400MHz range. Not sure if they were all at the 447MHz range.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #340
hmelman

After a little bit having the TiVo tuned to 80 the pixelation is back. It seems to be time related. If it hasn't been on the channel for a while it can tune it, but after a while it has problems. Perhaps a buffering issue?

There are two splits to the TiVo. Both splitters installed by Verizon. Previously under comcast there was only one splitter. I can try without the splitter but as it goes to the router, that won't be a viable longterm solution for me.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #341
Greeble

I now have horrible pixelation on 3 of my HD channels. Everything was working fine up until about a week ago. (Recorded an HD movie off of one of the now problematic channels) The channels are UHD, DHD and WealthHD.

If I check the cable card status. It keeps losing lock and the signal varies wildly. (Down to the 70s up to 90s, always changing) Where as the other channels seem to be all consistent and are in the high 90s. It sounds like I have a different problem than the typical signal strength too high deal some FIOS folks are getting.

EDIT: Frequency is 747000khz

Last edited by Greeble : 03-07-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Greeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #342
hmelman

If you tune to a problematic channel and go into Messages & Settings -> Account & System Information ->Diagnostics you'll see 4 blocks of information. The first two are for the channels tuned and the 2nd two are for the cable cards. If you look in the first two, the 3rd item is Channel, find the block for the problematic channel. Then the 4th item in the block is Frequency. What frequency do you see? Is it the same for all the problematic channels? Is it 447000 KHz?
Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #343
hmelman

I have a splitter before the TiVo that wasn't there when I used comcast. I removed it and the pixelation was a little better but not perfect. One tuner did ok (94-100 with lock), the other had more problems (55-100, intermittant lock). I also noticed that the coax cable from the splitter is my original and the others are Verizon's coax, I wonder if they might be better at 447MHz? My guess is that the signal has to be boosted at the ONT and I'll have to Verizon in to do this.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #344
acvthree

The signal coming out of the ONT is usually very hot. There have been many people, including me, that Verizon put splitters on just to attenuate the signal.

It's a good idea to have Verizon come out. The problem could be something as simple as a bad cable connector or a bad splitter. They can check the signals at several locations and figure this out.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #345
quantrill

Quote:
Then I went to CNN (80) and had some bad pixelation. CNNH (81) had the same problem. I went throught all the channels and found 8 that gave me problems. The other six were: 51 TNT, 52 TBS, 60 ESPN, 64 ESPN2, 163 COURT, 227 TOON. Checking the TiVo diagnostics they were all at frequency 447,000kHz and had difficulty locking in the channel. Signal Strength bounced around. All other channels are fine. I can view these problem channels on the other TV with a Verizon (motorola) set-top box just fine. I saw this thread and tried a 6db inline attenuator (from a local electronics store for $4, neither Radio Shack nor Home Depot carries them) and no help. I'm running 8.1.1.
I just had my installation on 3/6. It was a fairly painless process considering that the tech had never done cablecards NOR a Series 3. One of the cards was DOA, he returned the next evening after I got home from work with a new cablecard and all seemed well. Yesterday I set up a Season Pass for PTI on ESPN (60) and noticed pixelation on the recording. I checked the signal strength and saw that it was fluxuating between 95-97 (all other channels are solid 100) AND displayed something close to the message "(no signal on tuner 1)". This was a surprise to me so I played around a bit forcing it to use tuner one, and I indeed had no signal. I then proceeded to to a signal test on every channel (this took awhile) and found the exact same channel list was affected: TNT (51) TBS (52) ESPN (60) ESPN2 (61) CNN (80) CNNH (81) COURT (163) TOON (227). Some of the stations map to two channels (part of the realignment I assume) and both displayed the same problem.

I agree that this appears to be an issue with the S3 handling a certain freq as transmitted by Verizon. I live in Burtonsville, MD so this does not appear to be a localized phenomena. Perhaps as more of us call in with the same channel list, a lightbulb will go off above a Verizon engineer's head and we'll get resolution.
quantrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #346
PlanoHD

Plano area users: Are your local HD channels working now?

I live in Plano, TX and checked my Verizon FIOS local HD channels last night. It looks like they "miracoulsy" started working on my TIVO S3. They are still working this morning so I have hope that the problem has been fixed. Is the problem fixed for anyone else in the area?
PlanoHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:05 PM   #347
Ilene

Maybe we should start our own thread so that we can keep up with North Dallas Fios.
I am Parker and Alma and was seeing extreme pixelation at the same time as you were. I looked at all of the diagnositic screens before calling Fios to reinitialize my cards as neither were communicating with the CP provider. Afterwards, the problem still existed. My TiVo also froze 2x during this timeframe, so I had to reboot twice. I find this happens when the cableCards are "not working".

A couple of days later, it mysteriously cleared up at the same time it cleared up for you. So far so good. But I have seen this before, where they are working and for some unexplained reason, the pixlation returns. I am no longer recording anything I care about in HD. The digital picture is almost as good - colors are just a wee bit less vivid, but at least it is clear.
It is too frustrating to miss shows and have to watch them via the broadcast companies web site on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoHD
I live in Plano, TX and checked my Verizon FIOS local HD channels last night. It looks like they "miracoulsy" started working on my TIVO S3. They are still working this morning so I have hope that the problem has been fixed. Is the problem fixed for anyone else in the area?

Series 2 Lifetime (retired)
Pioneer 810H Recorder Lifetime (retired)
Verizon Fios
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #348
acvthree

Are you only seeing this in Fios locals? Do you see this on any other channels?

I'm in Carrollton and I haven't seen any of the pixelization you are talking about, but I get my local HD OTA.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #349
Ilene

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree
Are you only seeing this in Fios locals? Do you see this on any other channels?

I'm in Carrollton and I haven't seen any of the pixelization you are talking about, but I get my local HD OTA.

Al
Yes, I have had consistent pixelation on local HD via Fios - channels 801 - 809. The non-locals used to begin with 810 and above before the channel line up change on 3/6, but I don't remember where they begin now, but non-locals for me have been pretty consistently clear. We watch CNN 519 a lot and there are times when all of the CNNs pixelate as well.
The pixelation (and corresponding audio drop out) comes unexpectantly after many days of working perfectly. It clears up, usually, several days later. Because I cannot find rhyme, reason or pattern, I no longer record in HD (I cannot tell you how many House, 24, American Idol, NCIS and the Unit I have had to delete).

Local HD OTA is obviously not Fios, so while I appreciate your comments that you are not seeing pixelation, it is really irrelevant to a discussion that HD locals via Fios pixelates. If you are watching OTA, you are not watching through Fios.
Verizon Fios
Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #350
PlanoHD

I spoke too soon. The pixelation problem is back on channels 801 - 809 (local HD channels). I too have to stop recording on HD channels.
PlanoHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #351
RealityCheck

I think it's time the FCC mandates "Clear QAM" extended basic. For people who don't sub. to premium services, it would solve so many problems (goodbye CableCARDs!).
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #352
Ilene

Saw your post and checked out my 2 tuners and cableCard screens, everything perfect until about 30 minutes ago when I lost cableCard 2 (missing program_rekey) so that tuner is pixelating. CableCard1 is still enabled with no errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoHD
I spoke too soon. The pixelation problem is back on channels 801 - 809 (local HD channels). I too have to stop recording on HD channels.

Verizon Fios

Last edited by Ilene : 03-14-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #353
hmelman

At least since Sunday my service (8 non-HD channels at 447MHz) has cleared up with no pixelation. No one was here to do any work and I did nothing myself, it just cleared up on it's own. I'm getting 100% signal with lock on both cards. I had told FIOS which channels I had problems with and assume they did something about it but I don't that that's the case.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #354
quantrill

Same here, there was one re-occurrence late last week but since then (as far as I can tell) I've had no further issues with any of the channels on that frequency.
quantrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #355
captain_video

I got my FIOS service activated several weeks ago but I sent my S3 Tivo out to get the PROM modded right afterwards so I've actually been without FIOS on my HDTV until yesterday. I had recorded a few shows right after I activated the service but didn't get a chance to watch them until last night. I wasn't prepared for what I saw. I had a couple of recordings of Battlestar Galactica and the Dresden Files that I made from the SciFi channel the day they installed my FIOS setup. With DirecTV, both of these shows always looked grainy and very soft, almost like trying to watch a VHS tape on a big screen. With FIOS, both of these shows looked much sharper and approached DVD quality. It was like seeing them both for the first time.

I knew that FIOS would provide more detail in my HD programming but I never expected it to improve the standard definition channels to such a degree. I was originally planning on having FIOS on a trial basis to see if I liked it better than DirecTV. I think now I'll be with FIOS for the long haul. DirecTV will have to show me they have a better product than FIOS when they switch over to mpeg4 and add their new HD lineup. The thing is, FIOS will also be adding more HD channels so it looks like it's going to be a neck and neck race between them. Right now my money's on FIOS.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #356
Gregor

What sort of PROM modification did you get?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #357
ashu
User title defunct

Oooh - more disallowed subtle TiVo hacking talk. This should get interesting

As for the HD improvement, you were comparing uncompressed HD to a really awful source (DirectTV's HD Lite). Ther differece is supposed to be massive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #358
musicforme
It's a Dry Heat

Thought I would chime in here that I've had very few pixellation issues on HD channels over in Grapevine.
musicforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #359
captain_video

Quote:
Oooh - more disallowed subtle TiVo hacking talk. This should get interesting
And just what do you consider to be "disallowed talk" with regards to a PROM mod? Modifying your S3 Tivo PROM is only part of the equation towards getting your S3 hacked. It's no different that what R10 and 540xx Tivo owners discuss in other forums here all the time with no repercussions. There's nothing involved that allows you to steal service or circumvent the Tivo fees. It just allows you to install some of the same hacks enjoyed by other Tivo owners that have "Zippered" their Tivos or hacked them in a similar manner from scratch. There is nothing going on that violates any forum rules.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #360
flipit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeble
I now have horrible pixelation on 3 of my HD channels. Everything was working fine up until about a week ago. (Recorded an HD movie off of one of the now problematic channels) The channels are UHD, DHD and WealthHD.

If I check the cable card status. It keeps losing lock and the signal varies wildly. (Down to the 70s up to 90s, always changing) Where as the other channels seem to be all consistent and are in the high 90s. It sounds like I have a different problem than the typical signal strength too high deal some FIOS folks are getting.

EDIT: Frequency is 747000khz
Greeble:

Have you found a solution? I seems I have the exact same problem on the exact same channels (in Richmond, VA). Like you, this is also a recent development, as I didn't have the problem before.
flipit is offline   Reply With Quote